Protests following the killing of George Floyd

Withnail

I'm not sure they are nazi salutes watching videos from other angles. Not that it would be surprising mind... They seem to be your standard moronic England fans looking for a fight.
Yeah they pretty much immediately started having a go at the police.

Do you have a link to the other angle put of interest?

Camilo

So you don't know yet you are stating things which are not true. And clearly people care even if you don't. Probably best you don't speak for others especially on topics you know little about.

What can't you protest about and how are people going to know they need education when there is no one raising awareness through protest?

Name a successful protest which brought about change that didn't include some vandalism/violence?

How are we going to educate in school without the protests raising awareness and applying political pressure regarding the lack of racial history in the curriculum?
Come on, nobody here is the last word in facts. We're all just having a discussion. Park the "you make statements" bullshit.

There is plenty of education and awareness - things that were OK just 15 - 20 years ago when I left school are now absolutely not OK. The progress is fast. The changes are happening. We're all changing every day. (Mostly) younger people haven't had a moment to see the changes happening, because they haven't lived long enough to see it. I doubtless wasn't aware at the time of the changes that took place from the mid 80s until the early 2000s when I was growing up. The things my kids and nephews talk about nowadays are nothing like what I talked about. It's a different world.

There is no pressure to apply. People know. We're taught it, we see it, it's night and day to how it was when I was in school.

Being angry about the world doesn't mean you start vandalising some old statues though. It's pathetic.

Drifter

American
Most of these people are drunk. The man being interviewed by the sky reporter does not seem to know why he is there again.

klsv

Honest question from someone not from the UK. What exactly are they doing here? I understood the police are trying to protect the statue that they also want to protect, so they attack the police to protect the statue themselves or what?

Jericholyte2

Defending Churchill's statue while throwing at Nazi salutes... Jesus wept :lol:

Love it! I bet none of them even get the irony. Yet the media and government will try and have us all believe it's the left that are disrespecting our history.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Come on, nobody here is the last word in facts. We're all just having a discussion. Park the "you make statements" bullshit.

There is plenty of education and awareness - things that were OK just 15 - 20 years ago when I left school are now absolutely not OK. The progress is fast. The changes are happening. We're all changing every day. (Mostly) younger people haven't had a moment to see the changes happening, because they haven't lived long enough to see it. I doubtless wasn't aware at the time of the changes that took place from the mid 80s until the early 2000s when I was growing up. The things my kids and nephews talk about nowadays are nothing like what I talked about. It's a different world.

There is no pressure to apply. People know. We're taught it, we see it, it's night and day to how it was when I was in school.

Being angry about the world doesn't mean you start vandalising some old statues though. It's pathetic.
Its not a fight I just find it odd you can say no one cares about a topic you don't even know about and yet people obviously care because its a global discussion....

Speed of progress is a matter of perspective yes its not the same as 20 years ago but that doesn't mean there are not plenty of things which still need tackling

Also there is plenty of pressure to apply and we are not taught it at all in school. I think it is best if you educate yourself on the topic.

Was it also pathetic when the Berlin wall was vandalised?

Wolverine

Wonder if any of these nazi guys will get the tasers, horses, tear gas treatment?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Honest question from someone not from the UK. What exactly are they doing here? I understood the police are trying to protect the statue that they also want to protect, so they attack the police to protect the statue themselves or what?

I’ve no idea either. It’s pathetic

Drifter

American
Nazi salutes while protecting Churchill. You could not make it up. Hope the UK press highlights this irony, won't hold my breath.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’m not defending these people they are morons. But there’s no Nazi salutes there, they’re clearly just walking towards the police with both arms up being big and hard asking for a fight.

theres enough shit without making stuff up to add fuel to either side. As that what it seems to be these days, sides :(

Drifter

American
I’m not defending these people they are morons. But there’s no Nazi salutes there, they’re clearly just walking towards the police with both arms up being big and hard asking for a fight.

theres enough shit without making stuff up to add fuel to either side. As that what it seems to be these days, sides :(
What are you watching?

Cassidy

You need to watch it again mate

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You need to watch it again mate
Ok, I had watched it a couple of times, I can see a bloke clearly doing it now midway through video with a blue T-shirt on. It does just look like usually football fans abroad looking for a fight behaviour.

Im just disgusted watching that video, I couldn’t quite believe it when the camera panned around. Wtf is going on

Rooney1987

Call me crazy. But I’m not...entirely convinced...this is about statues.

F-Red

They were probably shouting about 'caring' for the police last week.

starman

I fear for the US now after this is going on in London, if what happened across the US over the last 3 weeks has ignited the copy cat vandalism from the far left, seeing these images might ignite the far right, and that is a far worst prospect than a few Engerlander thugs off their face

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

I obviously don’t disagree with the notion that violence and vandalism doesn’t help anything. But your logic here is underpinned by the idea that as long as change is happening, people shouldn’t protest and let natural change run its course.

That’s what I disagree with. Why should the current rate of change be acceptable on matters like these in today’s society? Protesting shouldn’t be violent but this is damn well something worth protesting because what it does do is raise awareness and focus efforts to enact change. Just because that change is happening doesn’t mean we shouldn’t aim to make it happen faster.

Protests like these don’t directly achieve things by virtue of protesting but they shape how things are addressed because it causes people to actively think and act on something they otherwise would only passively consider.

I don’t get the whole statues thing, I’m not sure how much that’s helping, but I don’t think the focus of the vast majority of the protest is to removing statues.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

They'll be on Twitter tonight proclaiming how the police attacked them and stopped them going to defend "the nation's history", and left the earlier BLM demos alone.

By Monday they'll be proclaiming themselves martyrs to the fascist cause, and Tommy Robinson or some similar twat will get arrested and become a lone beacon for truth, justice and British values when he appears in court. The Sun and The Mail will send people to interview him and Facebook will be awash with poorly disguised EDL gofundmes.

Cassidy

I'm yet so see the horses come out to control the crowd...

starman

Sorry if it might have already been posted, but its worth it as its a good summary of the fckery of both sides...

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Brilliant John Cleese! A few in this thread could doing with watching that

Fingeredmouse

I don’t get the whole statues thing, I’m not sure how much that’s helping, but I don’t think the focus of the vast majority of the protest is to removing statues.
This has nothing to do with statues, no.

It's a culture war and the utter cnuts trashing the streets of the capital of the country they claim to love in their fecking piss soaked Ben Sherman polo shirts out of their tits on gak are the emboldened far right underbelly of the UK.

For a long time the far right in Britain struggled to properly organise and mobilise because the UK was unique in that the strong piss streak of nationalism that ran through the country was undermined by the fact that the Nazis were the enemy and that created a strange cultural barrier.

No more. Open Nazi salutes would have been the preserve of Chelsea fans and their ilk and seen as fringe. Now white supremacy in Britain has aligned under the Brexit banner and our government of Etonian feudal lords and nouveaux cultural conservatives have enabled this.

This is the face of post Brexit Britain.

SirFergie

This has nothing to do with statues, no.

It's a culture war and the utter cnuts trashing the streets of the capital of the country they claim to love in their fecking piss soaked Ben Sherman polo shirts out of their tits on gak are the emboldened far right underbelly of the UK.

For a long time the far right in Britain struggled to properly organise and mobilise because the UK was unique in that the strong piss streak of nationalism that ran through the country was undermined by the fact that the Nazis were the enemy and that created a strange cultural barrier.

No more. Open Nazi salutes would have been the preserve of Chelsea fans and their ilk and seen as fringe. Now white supremacy in Britain has aligned under the Brexit banner and our government of Etonian feudal lords and nouveaux cultural conservatives have enabled this.

This is the face of post Brexit Britain.
Unfortunately, 100% right

Wolverine

Brilliant John Cleese! A few in this thread could doing with watching that
"I'm not sure what's going on in Britain. Let me say this, I don't know what's going on in London because London is no longer an English city and that's how they got the Olympics.
"They said 'we're the most cosmopolitan city on Earth' but it doesn't feel English.
"I had a Californian friend come over two months ago, walk down the King's Road and say to me 'well, where are all the English people?'."I love having different cultures around but when the parent culture kind of dissipates you're left thinking 'well, what's going on?'"
By the way when he said that the EDL tweeted their agreement

You’ll forgive me for not giving two shits about what he has to say