Protests following the killing of George Floyd

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Yes, non-threatening citizens are killed by cops in USA. What I don't think happens, and pretty sure what he was saying is, you don't randomly get picked on by cops. There will be a reason you are pulled over and potentially killed as a consequence, innocent or not. That may be a reason unknown to the innocent victim.
If that's what he meant that is a completely nothing statement. "Innocent people are shot for a reason." Ok, but that's not a real argument.

There will be outlier cases, as with anything. Countless video evidence? That's a bit exaggerated, no? There's about 1000 people killed by cops in the US each year.
You should actually look at the evidence of police brutality in this data set (just from the protests).
Secondly, of those people killed by cops, this study says only 83% of them are armed. Not sure what outlier you are talking about.

It wasn't supposed to start at minute 8, that happened unknowingly. You did however watch 50 minutes of the video, and from that compare these two to Candance Owens.
When I say sound like Candace Owens, I mean they argue the "what" instead of the "why". It's fairly easy to cite raw numbers, but as economists, you would think they would be running regressions on this data.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Literally this, people have spent the last week telling us that the U.K. isn’t a racist country....
Are you going to use those thugs to tar or speak for all of the British people?

just as the other side was shut down for accusing the protestors as being rioters and looters?

yes there’s racists, we know that.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Are you going to use those thugs to tar or speak for all of the British people?

just as the other side was shut down for accusing the protestors as being rioters and looters?

yes there’s racists, we know that.
I didn’t say all brits are racist did I, however I worded it badly so I will edit accordingly.

Bobski

Any semi accurate numbers around on the people involved in this today? All a bit depressing, but also a spectacular own goal for those creating rumbles against the previous weekend protests. No-one in their right mind wants to be associated with vermin like these EDL types, and those who do are no loss.

F-Red

Yet we’ve had plenty of people telling us the UK doesn’t have a racism issue.
Yep, i'm really looking forward to seeing how those clowns try to justify that view, considering the oxygen thieves we're witnessing in London today.

Tibs

Last week crying about the R Rate, and the Police being attacked. All of that out of the window today then.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Just looked like pointless point scoring.

these idiots shouldn’t represent anyone
They shouldn’t....

So what exactly is the protest about then? I still don’t understand. It’s obviously a counter protest to the BLM movement, so what does it stand for?

Last edited:

Bobski

Does it make any difference though? Clearly one, is one too many based on what we're witnessing today.
Yes, we would both rather that this type of mentality could be consigned to the past. Unfortunately that is not the case, and well, fewer is better.

Anyway, had a quick look on BBC(been working today, so catching up) and they state hundreds, some of the pictures look significantly more, composition of the crowd looks all too similar to the gangs of thugs who follow England to international tournaments, desperate for a chance to smash somewhere up. Charming group, high IQ's abound.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
UK not a racist country :lol:

Must have imagined all the times I was called a nigger, a black cnut etc or even lesser micro-aggressions like asking where I'm really from.

Must have imagined the scenes today in London too.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yes, we would both rather that this type of mentality could be consigned to the past. Unfortunately that is not the case, and well, fewer is better.

Anyway, had a quick look on BBC(been working today, so catching up) and they state hundreds, some of the pictures look significantly more, composition of the crowd looks all too similar to the gangs of thugs who follow England to international tournaments, desperate for a chance to smash somewhere up. Charming group, high IQ's abound.
They gave up their education to become racists.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
They shouldn’t....

So what exactly is the protest about then? I still don’t understand.
I’ve no idea, mindless morons using statues as an excuse to fight and goad police? I don’t think there’s a protest is there?

PoTMS

Disappointed. All it took was one fecker to argue about Spurs/West Ham/Millwall and it'd kick off.

decorativeed

For me that is the saddest thing about today’s world. There is no middle ground. It’s all about extremes of both left and right. Might as well expunge compromise and conciliation from the dictionaries. They are defunct concepts.
Of course there's still a middle ground. Ironically, I'd say that if anything you've taken a rather extreme view of it all.

It shouldn't need to be pointed out, but not everyone who attended Black Lives Matter protests attacked the police or looted shops. Only a small minority of people take things to extreme levels.

starman

UK not a racist country :lol:

Must have imagined all the times I was called a nigger, a black cnut etc or even lesser micro-aggressions like asking where I'm really from.

Must have imagined the scenes today in London too.
I would say that statement applies to the majority. No country is immune from racist groups or individuals.

Smores

The real face of 'all lives matter' folk. It's unfortunate for you lot that some of your fellows forget to hide the racism.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
If that's what he meant that is a completely nothing statement. "Innocent people are shot for a reason." Ok, but that's not a real argument.
If the police are looking at you, for whatever reason, you should comply. 100%. Every time. You don't know what information they've got. They don't know who you are, if you're armed or not. For them every encounter may be life and death. If you resist arrest, the police do not know what your intentions are.

You should actually look at the evidence of police brutality in this data set (just from the protests).
Secondly, of those people killed by cops, this study says only 83% of them are armed. Not sure what outlier you are talking about.
Outlier as in racist motivation and or the intent was to murder an innocent person, etc. As above, the police wont know what the person of interest is going to do or if they are innocent. The police in USA are armed. I belive most living in the US will be aware of this. There are also 100s of millions of firearms in the US. The police won't know who's armed or not. They pretty much have to assume the worst.

When I say sound like Candace Owens, I mean they argue the "what" instead of the "why". It's fairly easy to cite raw numbers, but as economists, you would think they would be running regressions on this data.
I assumed you ment it like "pseudo" intellectual.
Both of them being respected professors in their fields, and both of them having been in the public discussing matters like these for years, I give them the benefit of the doubt on most things they state as factual. If something sound too incredible and others I tend to belive start talking against them on facts, I'll rethink.
This is also a one hour conversation. You'll be often disappointed if you always expect what you deem most important to be covered, and how you want it. Take a look at some of their many other conversations.

Ludens the Red

I think most people who support edl will think their boys did a cracking job of defending Churchill and any trouble was the polices fault

Blm will frame it opposite and in the middle there is a bunch of people thinking ffs there is a pandemic why is nobody social distancing
Yeah they probably will but the whole country have seen them for what they truly are. In particular those ultra patriotic folk who tried to make it into a race thing, well there were no black or brown people committing these acts today.
Nazi salutes, pissing on the memorial of a copper who fought against a terrorist. Bullying people having picnics. Blm won’t be “framing anything”. Today was as clear as day.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah they probably will but the whole country have seen them for what they truly are. In particular those ultra patriotic folk who tried to make it into a race thing, well there were no black or brown people committing these acts today.
Nazi salutes, pissing on the memorial of a copper who fought against a terrorist. Bullying people having picnics. Blm won’t be “framing anything”. Today was as clear as day.

This bloke stood out like a sore thumb. The exception that proves the rule.