Protests following the killing of George Floyd

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Just admit you were wrong when you said none of them made that point. I am happy enough to say that I was engaging with many people at the same time so if I confused very little with virtually nothing and nothing being said by a few different posters then sue me for making that mistake. Again I'm repeating it doesn't change the substance of what I'm saying.
You’re being really anal here dude. When posters say not much has changed, they’re clearly saying that things haven’t changed enough. That people are still fighting the same fundamental fight.

And again I'm going to state that I am not saying things are great or even very good just a lot better than the 60s.
but it is better than it was in the 60s. I'm not saying anything else apart from this.
Why do you keep making this point? It veers dangerously close to basically telling people to basically shut up and be grateful

Halftrack

Just admit you were wrong when you said none of them made that point. I am happy enough to say that I was engaging with many people at the same time so if I confused very little with virtually nothing and nothing being said by a few different posters then sue me for making that mistake. Again I'm repeating it doesn't change the substance of what I'm saying.
I was wrong with regards to none of them using the word 'nothing', I was completely correct with regards to none of them making the point you claimed they were making. The latter renders the point you were making completely invalid, which has been my point all along.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Good then people should stop protesting against people being killed by the police, death is apparently better than it was in the 60s. They should also stop protesting against economic inequalities, hunger, homelessness and not being able to afford basic health services is better than in the 60s.
If that is your opinion then you are entitled to it. I don't agree with that.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
You’re being really anal here dude. When posters say not much has changed, they’re clearly saying that things haven’t changed enough. That people are still fighting the same fundamental fight.

Why do you keep making this point? It veers dangerously close to basically telling people to basically shut up and be grateful
I'm just replying to the exaggerated statements being made. I don't even know what the point is anymore the discussion has turned into a point scoring contest.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Alright boys its clearly impossible to continue having any sort of fruitful discussion and I don't have anything else to add. I've repeated myself enough times for my points to be clear so I'm out. Apologies to anyone who I haven't replied to although I think its clear that it wouldn't make any difference.

Peace.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
If nothing has changed so what is affirmative action? How come a black kid with worse grades can get into university ahead of an asian kid with better grades? Its pure hyperbole to say things haven't changed and I'm sure you know it.
Do you have evidence of anything remotely similar to your first paragraph? Not just individual anecdotes but actual statistics that show percentages of worse performing applicants who are preferred to more talented applicants?
Are you going to provide the evidence of this? @Mastadon

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Are you going to provide the evidence of this? @Mastadon
In an odd way it's sort of funny that when I googled affirmative action one of the first articles was from the LA Times where a study of harvard admissions found that 43% of white students benefitted from the legacy, athletic and faculty systems they have in place, compared to 16% from the non-white students.
Obviously not all colleges will be exactly the same, not a great find though.

Halftrack

"It's impossible to have any kind of fruitful discussion" says the guy largely responsible for making it impossible.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
"It's impossible to have any kind of fruitful discussion" says the guy largely responsible for making it impossible.
I will give @Mastadon credit for this: We may not agree, but at least they are attempting to argue their position, which is all to often a quality lacking from contrarian view posting members in the CE forum.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
In an odd way it's sort of funny that when I googled affirmative action one of the first articles was from the LA Times where a study of harvard admissions found that 43% of white students benefitted from the legacy, athletic and faculty systems they have in place, compared to 16% from the non-white students.
Obviously not all colleges will be exactly the same, not a great find though.
It's laughable right? To the best of my knowledge, the biggest group of benefactors of affirmative action as a policy is white women - so to suggest that there are black students getting in above smarter/more capable asian students is frankly absurd and shouldn't be tolerated, without evidence to back up such a claim.
Also as you quite rightly pointed out - legacy admissions, athletic scholarships & admissions for cash are all forms of affirmative action, but don't have any of the negative connotations associated with it.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It's laughable right? To the best of my knowledge, the biggest group of benefactors of affirmative action as a policy is white women - so to suggest that there are black students getting in above smarter/more capable asian students is frankly absurd and shouldn't be tolerated, without evidence to back up such a claim.
Also as you quite rightly pointed out - legacy admissions, athletic scholarships & admissions for cash are all forms of affirmative action, but don't have any of the negative connotations associated with it.
To my great shame I, for a VERY short time, held some pretty abhorrent views on college admission affirmative action when I was younger. I was lucky to go to private catholic high school as the local public school was pretty awful. I had a minority classmate who was extremely wealthy, drove a BMW to school, etc. We both applied to UCLA Pre-med and he was accepted, I was not. I had better grades, test scores, etc. I was pissed, for a very short time. Why a short time? Because I was lucky enough to have a great friend, also a minority, who did not get to go to that nice private school, but to the public one. I am lucky that I complained to him, and I am luckier still that he took the time to explain why I was an asshole.

He should not have had the burden to explain this to me, but he did it. That was a time of basically no internet and limited cable news. Those views were unacceptable then and a magnitude more unacceptable now that anyone can educate themselves on pretty much everything.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
To my great shame I, for a VERY short time, held some pretty abhorrent views on college admission affirmative action when I was younger. I was lucky to go to private catholic high school as the local public school was pretty awful. I had a minority classmate who was extremely wealthy, drove a BMW to school, etc. We both applied to UCLA Pre-med and he was accepted, I was not. I had better grades, test scores, etc. I was pissed, for a very short time. Why a short time? Because I was lucky enough to have a great friend, also a minority, who did not get to go to that nice private school, but to the public one. I am lucky that I complained to him, and I am luckier still that he took the time to explain why I was an asshole.

He should not have had the burden to explain this to me, but he did it. That was a time of basically no internet and limited cable news. Those views were unacceptable then and a magnitude more unacceptable now that anyone can educate themselves on pretty much everything.
Honestly, it's not that surprising to me for you, or anyone else to hold such views - we are influenced so much by our environment & the media, that it's incredibly difficult to hold objective views on anything, especially these days.
For me, because so much surface level information can be debunked in seconds, having to read blatant lies being peddled is beyond frustrating. I don't expect anyone to be an expert on racism, or to have context/history/knowledge on specific things relating to healthcare, police brutality, affirmative action etc (i'm not expert, far from it) but it's important to not let lies run unchallenged.
I'm glad your friend was able to explain to you in detail, and i'm glad that you took in what he said too - a lot of times it's human nature to get defensive in situations like that. In my opinion a lot of racism is rooted in ignorance, and you can't possibly know what you don't know - that's how it continues to still be an issue, and why it's important for everyone who sees themselves as not racist - to challenge & educate those around them.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal

A coalition of 64 Asian-American groups has filed a complaint against Harvard for discriminating against Asian-American kids in admissions. They’re right to assume there is a quota system at work. But they’re wrong that it is targeting Asian Americans. In fact, it is discriminating in favor of Blacks and Hispanics.
The complaint, filed with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights, alleges that for Asian-American students to gain admission, they have to have SAT scores 140 points higher than white students, 270 points higher than Hispanic students and 450 points higher than African-American students.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevecohen/2015/07/06/the-secret-quotas-in-college-admissions/amp/

In this article, we examine the roles played by preferences for athletes and children of alumni. Based on complete data for three applicant cohorts to three of the most academically selective research universities, we show that admission bonuses for athletes and legacies rival, and sometimes even exceed, the size of preferences for underrepresented mi- nority applicants. Being African American instead of white is worth an average of 230 additional SAT points on a 1600-point scale, but recruited athletes reap an advantage equivalent to 200 SAT points. Other things equal, His- panic applicants gain the equivalent of 185 points, which is only slightly more than the legacy advantage, which is worth 160 points. Coming from an Asian background, however, is comparable to the loss of 50 SAT points.

https://scholar.princeton.edu/sites...es_espenshade_chung_walling_dec_2004_full.pdf

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I know you said you're done here, but on the off-chance that you're not:

I think the video of George Floyds murder and the reaction from the general public would have done the same. Im not sure how burning and looting innocent businesses has helped apart from alienate supporters. Do you have any data or evidence to support the idea that violent protests bring about change better than peaceful protests in the US?
I'm not going to repeat discussions you and others have had in the meantime, but on this point: after very little and slow reforms in policing, there has been enormous attention to the subject in the past two months with already a lot of noticeable changes in different US cities. Do you think that would have happened also without the violent part of the protests? If so, why now, why not previously?

This is simply not true. I have stated repeatedly that I am able to differentiate between BLM protestors who are mostly peaceful and the people who are out to loot and rob. Like I said said just because I choose to focus on what happened in the 50th minute of a football match doesn't mean I'm unaware of what happened in the other 89 minutes. The topic of the discussion for me is the 50th minute why criticize me for not talking about the 30th or 60th minute?
Because, first, you do not much make that distinction and in your text give the impression that most of this match is violent. And second, because I and many on here feel that the violence is understandable in this case, and ultimately contributing to there finally being some more movement on police reform in the US. (And also elsewhere: it's now being discussed here in Canada as well, and changes are likely in, for example, Ottawa and Toronto, from what I have seen.)

The funny thing is people keep saying on one hand don't equate the violent looters with BLM while acting like condemning the violent looters means you are against BLM.
The way you are writing this, you seem to say that there are two kinds of protests: peaceful ones, and violents ones that include looting. That's not true; protests can turn violent in various ways without looting, such as by vandalizing government property. I have also said many times now that I can understand violence and I can see the practical purpose it serves, but that I do not support the looting, especially of unrelated business. So, your turn: where do you stand on violent protests that focus their violence against elements representing the state and society as a whole?

That is not my point. My point is that those who are so quick to say sacrifices have to be made should experience those sacrifices before volunteering other unwilling parties to be sacrificed and suffer.
So people on here, for example, that say they understand the looting? If I got it right this time: but what if they live in another state or country and can't ask to loot their business or house first?

If nothing has changed so what is affirmative action? How come a black kid with worse grades can get into university ahead of an asian kid with better grades? Its pure hyperbole to say things haven't changed and I'm sure you know it.
I think this is another case where you might want to check your sources of information. Affirmative action in the US does no such thing; it doesn't catapult people with inferior objective credentials into success. Its point is to undo a situation where, if people have similar objective credentials (like grades), the White person is getting the position, job, or whatever, because they are scored better on subjective things (like how professional their appearance is). I'm probably not capturing it right entirely, but check the relevant Wikipedia page, for example.

Edit: looks like I should read more on this first as well, giving the example provided by Mastadon (also included on the Wikipedia page). Would love to hear about this from others.

And again I'm going to state that I am not saying things are great or even very good just a lot better than the 60s.
I think everyone agrees that things are better than they used to be, but that 'better' is still very far removed from 'good', or even just 'acceptable'. That's the point here. If you're concerned about being deliberately misunderstood, then I feel you might be returning the favour here.

Last edited:

Halftrack

I will give @Mastadon credit for this: We may not agree, but at least they are attempting to argue their position, which is all to often a quality lacking from contrarian view posting members in the CE forum.
Sure, I can agree to that. It's a hell of a lot better than the people who respond with :lol: or declare you an idiot for having a differing opinion.

That being said, the refusal to engage with the arguments other posters put forth, combined with the general "well things have improved some, can't you just be happy with that?" and the laser focus on RIOTING and LOOTING meant there was no fruitful discussion to be had.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
A coalition of 64 Asian-American groups has filed a complaint against Harvard for discriminating against Asian-American kids in admissions. They’re right to assume there is a quota system at work. But they’re wrong that it is targeting Asian Americans. In fact, it is discriminating in favor of Blacks and Hispanics.
The complaint, filed with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights, alleges that for Asian-American students to gain admission, they have to have SAT scores 140 points higher than white students, 270 points higher than Hispanic students and 450 points higher than African-American students.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevecohen/2015/07/06/the-secret-quotas-in-college-admissions/amp/

In this article, we examine the roles played by preferences for athletes and children of alumni. Based on complete data for three applicant cohorts to three of the most academically selective research universities, we show that admission bonuses for athletes and legacies rival, and sometimes even exceed, the size of preferences for underrepresented mi- nority applicants. Being African American instead of white is worth an average of 230 additional SAT points on a 1600-point scale, but recruited athletes reap an advantage equivalent to 200 SAT points. Other things equal, His- panic applicants gain the equivalent of 185 points, which is only slightly more than the legacy advantage, which is worth 160 points. Coming from an Asian background, however, is comparable to the loss of 50 SAT points.

https://scholar.princeton.edu/sites...es_espenshade_chung_walling_dec_2004_full.pdf
So your post about the entirety of affirmative action is only because of Harvard admissions, and you used this as a basis that somehow things are better for black people?

I actually think there was an episode about this on Patriot Act

Have you actually followed the entire case of this? It wasn't as black & white (no pun) as you're trying to point out, and the admissions for Harvard isn't based on SAT scores alone - they have their own personal and complex admission structure, plus a cap on a number of applicants who can be accepted.
The judge in the case ruled: "the data demonstrates a statistically significant and negative relationship between Asian American identity and the personal rating assigned by Harvard admissions officers, holding constant any reasonable set of observable characteristics." because Harvard has a "personal ratings" system - where the Asian Americans scored poorly in comparison to white Americans - and the plaintiffs couldn't prove that this was down to race.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/evange...eir-case-against-harvard-but-should-have-won/

Either way, this specific example is in no way representative of affirmative action as a whole, and it definitely shouldn't be the hill that signifies just how much better things are for black people now.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Burning and looting is the continuation of politics by other means. Absolutely on the table if the ruling class fails to act after peaceful protest.
In that case since they are looting businesses from innocent people I’m guessing they have to protect their own property themselves which would be ugly

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So your post about the entirety of affirmative action is only because of Harvard admissions, and you used this as a basis that somehow things are better for black people?

Have you actually followed the entire case of this? It wasn't as black & white (no pun) as you're trying to point out, and the admissions for Harvard isn't based on SAT scores alone - they have their own personal and complex admission structure, plus a cap on a number of applicants who can be accepted.
The judge in the case ruled: "the data demonstrates a statistically significant and negative relationship between Asian American identity and the personal rating assigned by Harvard admissions officers, holding constant any reasonable set of observable characteristics." because Harvard has a "personal ratings" system - where the Asian Americans scored poorly in comparison to white Americans - and the plaintiffs couldn't prove that this was down to race.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/evange...eir-case-against-harvard-but-should-have-won/

Either way, this specific example is in no way representative of affirmative action as a whole, and it definitely shouldn't be the hill that signifies just how much better things are for black people now.
The funny part is that the article that he quoted from Forbes explains what you just wrote. Just a small sample:

The Coalition’s complaint is based on a false assumption: that admissions decisions at elite colleges are based on smarts – and represented by high SAT scores and grades. Yes, those metrics count – a lot. But they come into play only after an applicant’s “tag” – his or her target group is assigned. That’s because top schools are not looking just for the smartest kids, or for well-rounded kids; they’re looking to put together the well-rounded class. Kids who will fill key niches on campus.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

What about the second study I posted which is based on 3 universities not just Harvard.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Sure, I can agree to that. It's a hell of a lot better than the people who respond with :lol: or declare you an idiot for having a differing opinion.

That being said, the refusal to engage with the arguments other posters put forth, combined with the general "well things have improved some, can't you just be happy with that?" and the laser focus on RIOTING and LOOTING meant there was no fruitful discussion to be had.
Give me an example of where I said this or admit you are misrepresenting me.

If I want to focus on rioting and looting that is my prerogative is it not? There isn’t a fixed format of what I should or should not be focusing on. If you want my opinion on something else ask and I provide it.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I wish people who rail against affirmative action, ignorant of the reasoning behind it, kept the same energy for legacy admissions at these elite colleges. But no, let's ignore Chad who gets into Harvard because his dad made a $5,000,000 donation to the swimming club. Let's focus on DeMar who, with his 3.4 GPA, "stole" a spot from an Asian girl with a 3.9 GPA, because the only thing we consider for admissions is GPA.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

What about the second study I posted which is based on 3 universities not just Harvard.
The one with this conclusion?

our data indicate that admission officers at elite universities are placing a declining weight on belonging to an underrepresented minority student group, whereas the admission advantage accruing to athletes has been growing. By 1997, in fact, being a recruited athlete mattered more than any other type of admission preference we have examined.
Many different student characteristics are valued by admission officers and receive extra weight in highly competitive admissions. It is all part of a process that views academically selective colleges and universities as picking and choosing from many different pools or queues in order to create a first-year class that best advances institutional values and objectives.
Like Harvard - the elite schools focus on more than just SAT scores alone - they care about personality & character, achievements outside of school etc - also they're fecking hard schools to get in to. If they can be compared to Oxford or Cambridge, then there are 50x as many students who get rejected than those who get admitted - to assume that it's 'easier' for black students to get into a ridiculously hard school is beyond offensive & also is in no way representative of affirmative action as a whole, which again benefits white women more than it does black people.

adexkola

Supports
So you still don't understand? Seriously, have you read what I wrote or listened to what MLK said?

We have quoted that sentence multiple times, @villain and I posted the video of a part of his speech that only last two minutes and you still don't understand that sentence? "A riot is the language of the unheard."
I can assure you, anytime MLK's name is mentioned nowadays, it's always the cotton candy excerpts they take from his speeches. They love any sentence of his that has "love", "peace", "nonviolent". Of course they skip over the more substantial parts of his speeches.

And of course they act like he's the only black civil rights icon we've had. Not a word about Malcolm X, Stokely Carmichael, Fred Hampton, John Lewis... Because you can't caricature them the way MLK has been caricatured into a harmless hippy teddy bear who just said peace and love ad nauseum

This set of people also view Mandela and Gandhi the same way. They also own Bob Marley's Legend album, the one that stripped away his most political songs in an attempt to not scare the hwites away

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I can assure you, anytime MLK's name is mentioned nowadays, it's always the cotton candy excerpts they take from his speeches. They love any sentence of his that has "love", "peace", "nonviolent". Of course they skip over the more substantial parts of his speeches.

And of course they act like he's the only black civil rights icon we've had. Not a word about Malcolm X, Stokely Carmichael, Fred Hampton, John Lewis... Because you can't caricature them the way MLK has been caricatured into a harmless hippy teddy bear who just said peace and love ad nauseum

This set of people also view Mandela and Gandhi the same way. They also own Bob Marley's Legend album, the one that stripped away his most political songs in an attempt to not scare the hwites away
This, this and this again. I'm sure I saw someone suggest that MLK's vision was for people to be 'colourblind' earlier in this thread and I truly, despair.

NotThatSoph

It's not an act, necessarily. They don't know, and they don't care. It's debate club, not the real world.

This isn't an excuse, it makes it worse.

Halftrack

Give me an example of where I said this or admit you are misrepresenting me.

If I want to focus on rioting and looting that is my prerogative is it not? There isn’t a fixed format of what I should or should not be focusing on. If you want my opinion on something else ask and I provide it.
Ah, yeah, you're right, my bad. I was having a discussion on largely the same topic on twitter, and conflated you and some guy on there.

People have repeatedly confronted you with the fact that peaceful protests and strikes have been taking place for three months. The rioting has largely been confined to the immediate aftermath of high-profile police shootings of black Americans, yet that's what gets all the focus. When that dies down, the world around them largely stops giving a shit, so it seems fairly obvious that simply striking and protesting alone isn't enough to bring the required attention to the issue.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

You made me realize a mistake that I have made, I generally use MLK as a point of reference knowing that he wasn't actually that, that he was one important voice but not the only one. That mistakes means that today we have black politicians who for some reason act as if MLK was the only voice and as if the 60s were some sort of political shangri-la where peaceful speeches and protests led to incredible results. So let me introduce you one of the other major voices.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
I know you said you're done here, but on the off-chance that you're not:

I'm not going to repeat discussions you and others have had in the meantime, but on this point: after very little and slow reforms in policing, there has been enormous attention to the subject in the past two months with already a lot of noticeable changes in different US cities. Do you think that would have happened also without the violent part of the protests? If so, why now, why not previously?
I think the video of a black man being murdered slowly by a brutal white officer shocked people everywhere in the world. I think this would have happened without violent protests yes because the imagery is so shocking that it leaves no room for interpretation. Floyd wasn't fighting or struggling or doing anything that could be used to defend the police action there is no case to be made for anything other than police brutality and murder.

As for the effect of the protests, again if we believe that the vast majority of protests are peaceful then are we supposed to give credit to the majority peaceful protests or minority violent ones for any change that might happen? Also I read somewhere that unpopular republican president Nixon was reelected in 1968 partially due to the violent riots lets see if history repeats itself.

Because, first, you do not much make that distinction and in your text give the impression that most of this match is violent. And second, because I and many on here feel that the violence is understandable in this case, and ultimately contributing to there finally being some more movement on police reform in the US. (And also elsewhere: it's now being discussed here in Canada as well, and changes are likely in, for example, Ottawa and Toronto, from what I have seen.)

The way you are writing this, you seem to say that there are two kinds of protests: peaceful ones, and violents ones that include looting. That's not true; protests can turn violent in various ways without looting, such as by vandalizing government property. I have also said many times now that I can understand violence and I can see the practical purpose it serves, but that I do not support the looting, especially of unrelated business. So, your turn: where do you stand on violent protests that focus their violence against elements representing the state and society as a whole?
I think my tone and has worked against me here in that it makes people think I'm saying something which I'm not. Thats my own fault internet arguments are very often the product of misunderstandings of the other parties meaning.

I would be more understanding towards violence against elements representing the state yes definitely. This would at least be a valid expression of rage rather than robbing your own neighborhood shops. Certainly attacking a police station or a government office makes a hell of a lot more sense in this context. The next question to ask is would be to what extent are vigilante actions acceptable? If it turns into a revolution then you would have to look at it differently.

So people on here, for example, that say they understand the looting? If I got it right this time: but what if they live in another state or country and can't ask to loot their business or house first?
I mean you might think differently about looting if your house was being looted instead of someone else you don't know.

I think everyone agrees that things are better than they used to be, but that 'better' is still very far removed from 'good', or even just 'acceptable'. That's the point here. If you're concerned about being deliberately misunderstood, then I feel you might be returning the favour here.
Would you agree with the statement that very little has changed since the 1960s? Anyway its not a big deal since the definition of very little and a little is subjective.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Ah, yeah, you're right, my bad. I was having a discussion on largely the same topic on twitter, and conflated you and some guy on there.

People have repeatedly confronted you with the fact that peaceful protests and strikes have been taking place for three months. The rioting has largely been confined to the immediate aftermath of high-profile police shootings of black Americans, yet that's what gets all the focus. When that dies down, the world around them largely stops giving a shit, so it seems fairly obvious that simply striking and protesting alone isn't enough to bring the required attention to the issue.
I won't hold it against you then because I've been making the same mistake. It gets a bit hard to track who is who in these situations.

Its no surprise that peaceful protests don't get as much attention as the violent ones unfortunately violence tends to make the news which kind of reinforces my point about them being counter productive. It was a similar thing that played out in Hong Kong with peaceful protests turning violent for months. People eventually get tired of the peaceful protests and think that more drastic action is needed to bring about change and that was futile because they can't beat the Chinese government. It was also quite hypocritical how the US government was so supportive of the riots in Hong Kong but not so over their own riots at home.

adexkola

Supports
You made me realize a mistake that I have made, I generally use MLK as a point of reference knowing that he wasn't actually that, that he was one important voice but not the only one. That mistakes means that today we have black politicians who for some reason act as if MLK was the only voice and as if the 60s were some sort of political shangri-la where peaceful speeches and protests led to incredible results. So let me introduce you one of the other major voices.

It's a honest mistake. In my history classes all we were taught was MLK and the I Have a Dream speech. But it is deliberate that figures like him are promoted. Because the parts of them that are deemed relatively benign are amplified by both sides of the establishment.

And honestly, MLK's approach was so successful because of the likes of Malcolm X promising fire and brimstone if America back then didn't stop treating it's black citizens like they were second tier. In a vacuum they wouldn't have given one feck about MLK's marching and non-violence, but going with him was more palatable than dealing with open race war.

But then they killed him anyways, so there's that.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think the video of a black man being murdered slowly by a brutal white officer shocked people everywhere in the world. I think this would have happened without violent protests yes because the imagery is so shocking that it leaves no room for interpretation. Floyd wasn't fighting or struggling or doing anything that could be used to defend the police action there is no case to be made for anything other than police brutality and murder.
Obviously, it's hard now to separate correlation and causation, since everything did happen. We don't have parallel cases that omit one element or another. I would say that we have seen videos of the murder by Black people by police before; but you might counter that George Floyd murder was different in nature. I might say that protests have happened for a long time; but you might counter that the scale of these protests now went beyond the usual more local response. And I might say that the explosion of violent protest was more sudden and wider than before, but you might counter that we've seen violence before and point back to the other factors.

So I guess we might conclude this discussion merry-go-round by agreeing to disagree. But I think at least we'll agree in hoping that this doesn't escalate further. Now that there are vigilantes joining in, full-on urban battle seems frighteningly close. Let's hope police reform sees results soon. (But I'm not holding my breath, and rather expect a further escalation of the violence.)

I would be more understanding towards violence against elements representing the state yes definitely. This would at least be a valid expression of rage rather than robbing your own neighborhood shops. Certainly attacking a police station or a government office makes a hell of a lot more sense in this context. The next question to ask is would be to what extent are vigilante actions acceptable? If it turns into a revolution then you would have to look at it differently.
That's an important point for me. Repression (including conscious withholding of equity) can be seen as a kind of state violence, and so there is a justification in a violent response. As for what level of violence is appropriate and when vigilante action is OK: there are so many possible scenarios that I'm not going to try and answer that; that's beyond me. But I will say that I don't think that kid should've been there, coming from out of town with his assault rifle.

Would you agree with the statement that very little has changed since the 1960s? Anyway its not a big deal since the definition of very little and a little is subjective.
I agree on that as well: I think some of our discussion subjects have to do with language use. I'm not too motivated to continue that. We've made our points, we actually agree on some of it and less on others, and I feel like we've kinda exhausted that. Also, at the core of the matter, I think we're all not that far apart here.