Protests following the killing of George Floyd

Anustart89

I bet they were on their way to some emergency and they were blocked by the violently sitting protesters

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
It’s like the EDL dickhead moaning about “musk amid ray guns”

Riots are not the answer and will only do more damage than good.

tell me how aggrieved young black protesters looting a Louis Vuitton store does anything to conquer racism?

These riots are an excuse for people to act like senseless thieving little cnuts. It achieves feck all in terms of acting against racism.
You write a as if the looters are there for a cause. They're opportunists for ffs, don't group them with those actually their fighting for their right to life.

People like you are part of the problem. The simpleton reductionist. Well done.

RedTiger

Half mast
I wonder if they are trained to do that or something during their unarmed tactics? It's certainly not something that exists within training in the UK however it does seem a coincidence that it's happening again here under the circumstances.
Thats a military technique used to subdue non combatants. It's either taught by the warrior training that many police departments recieve or it's bought over from the military by ex soldiers.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It’s like the EDL dickhead moaning about “musk amid ray guns”

Riots are not the answer and will only do more damage than good.

tell me how aggrieved young black protesters looting a Louis Vuitton store does anything to conquer racism?

These riots are an excuse for people to act like senseless thieving little cnuts. It achieves feck all in terms of acting against racism.
I understand both sides tbh. I’ve seen footage of business owners pleading with rioters, asking them not to destroy decades of work and their livelihoods, and an objective viewpoint says of course, this isn’t the answer.

But at the same I can sympathise with their position. What else do they have to do to get noticed? You begin to get desperate.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think it's also fear.

It takes real courage to stand up for something, most would probably chose to keep their mouth shut and just play neutral. Especially if they're not involved directly. We all know how a tweet here or a post there can ruin lives. Hence this 2020 riots kinda empower those that wants to voiced out but can't all this time, we see people of all colors joining the protest (and some goes beyond simply protest, there are white folks literally fighting the cops). But if this is normal time would they be the one to throw the first brick? Intimidation is real, the good cops are sometime ostracized by the system they're powerless to stop the bad guys, let alone some guys in the internet.

We're hiding behind the anonymity of the internet, if I'm an american living in america and having a coworkers who's white I'd probably try to keep my view as neutral as I can be as you'll never know who's who out there. Even in this very forum there are people who has a very questionable view point. Race/religion/politics is always a sensitive issue.
I don't think that I follow here. They elect and have spent decades electing politicians that are racists or don't care about racism, they elect judges and sheriffs that are racists or don't care about racims. At which point fear plays a role in that?

Heardy

Thank goodness not everyone needs to have a fecking knee on their neck to sympathize with people who are at risk of dying the same way.

Your comments sound real dumb now. Everyone getting involved in these protests increases the chances something gets done.
i Sympathise. What happened was disgusting and I want to see justice. Those cops need real sentences.

but riots and protests are two very very different things.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Fortunately the chap with the sword that was beaten to a pulp has survived and seems ok! Doesn't seem like he was protecting his own property, rather he claims to have been protecting a bar he loved.

JPRouve

Scout
i Sympathise. What happened was disgusting and I want to see justice. Those cops need real sentences.

but riots and protests are two very very different things.
But the problem goes beyond those cops, people aren't rioting just because of what happened this week. They have been protesting peacefully for decades and ignored.

TheReligion

Abusive
It seems that way.

I’m not professing to have all the answers to fix racism but the response from everyone cannot simply be “let’s riot.”
Rioting and protesting are two very different things that people seem to be confusing.

Thats a military technique used to subdue non combatants. It's either taught by the warrior training that many police departments recieve or it's bought over from the military by ex soldiers.
Thanks. I thought this might be the case. Do ex military get preferential treatment when looking to join the police in the US?

Heardy

Side effect of wider protests. Always happens. You're focusing on the least important aspect of the entire protest.
Im not. This shouldn’t be the side effect of a protest, but this is where the whole argument falls down.

protests are positive and the more that voice is heard, the better. Once it descends into mindless chaos and anarchy, the protests message loses its importance.

you can not justify burning down stores that have nothing to do with what you’re protesting against.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I don't think that I follow here. They elect and have spent decades electing politicians that are racists or don't care about racism, they elect judges and sheriffs that are racists or don't care about racims. At which point fear plays a role in that?
You can only vote what's in front of you. And sometimes even if the right guys comes along the bad guys got more votes

You're asking why people are ignorant, i'm saying some are probably afraid to speak up.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He probably won't make a full recovery, unfortunately. They've clearly given him significant brain damage.
Thankfully it looks like he’s (relatively) ok!
I’m very glad he is and I’m also glad it won’t distract from the bigger picture.

JPRouve

Scout
You can only vote what's in front of you. And sometimes even if the right guys comes along the bad guys got more votes
Which is the point, that silent majority generally either vote for the bad guys or are the bad guy themselves.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Sancho booked for showing support for George Floyd after scoring for Dortmund.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I asked in the Trump thread too, but what does this designation mean in terms of how the authorities can treat protestors now? Loosening of the use of lethal force perhaps?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

But yeah keep rioting.
It’s not like there are only two options.

Destroy top-tier corporate America to send a message. Destroy Starbucks, McDonalds. Tear down the icons and get heard. Force the corporations to enter the discourse. Force them to stand with people, or with the police.

If McDonalds leaves town, so what. Yes jobs leave, but independent burger joints in neighbourhoods does more than a huge corporate behemoth does.

If the system doesn’t work, Set fire to it. I know that’s a reductive review point, but what possible options do people have beyond that. Organised anarchy has a place.

ATXRedDevil

Based on what I tend to see in this forum, I'm sure people will argue against this, but the vast majority of cops are good people that do a thankless, dangerous job and genuinely care about protecting all citizens, as per their oath. The vast majority are just as outraged that someone that took an oath to protect and serve has needlessly taken a life and damaged the trust that so many officers and police departments have worked hard to build. Is the system perfect? Hell no. Are some cops or even departments bad/racist/crooked? Absolutely. But to paint all of them as bad is unfair and inaccurate. Cops around the country, that had absolutely nothing to do with Floyd's death, are being screamed at, assaulted, having projectiles thrown at them ranging from fireworks to bottles urine and watching people spray paint things like "kill all pigs" around their city. I can't imagine what it must feel like to put your life on the line day in and day out to protect all citizens and then be subject to this because of what happened hundreds or thousands of miles away. I can't imagine what a frustrating and confusing time it must be for black police officers around the country.

People have every right to protest. Every right to be outraged. Every right to demand justice. And the vast majority are doing so peacefully and legitimately want change and justice. Then you have opportunists and anarchists stoking the flames and inciting riots, destruction of property and further divisiveness. I've seen countless videos of peaceful black protesters intervening on little antifa thugs trying to turn peaceful demonstrations violent. There are forces, domestic and international, trying to use this situation for their benefit to destabilize our society, not to bring justice for Floyd and end systemic issues.

I'm appalled by the number of people condoning the violence, the riots, the looting. How is it justified to burn and loot around the country because of what happened in Minneapolis? I don't think those actions are justified there, either, but one could at least argue that they are acting against the institution that caused Floyd's death. The Atlanta, Baltimore, DC, New York, etc. etc. police departments have nothing to do with Minneapolis.

What is justice? True justice is due process. This country was founded on this principle and these riots will not subvert anyone's right to a fair trial (which in this case I hope ends in convictions). But due process takes time. The process is underway, we have to let it run its course. In the meantime, I support everyone's right to peacefully demonstrate their outrage and their demands for change, but violence, destruction and theft don't do that.

We can only improve as a country if we are united, and the country is certainly united in wanting justice for Floyd. This incident has the power to bring about true change by bringing everyone together (as we've seen by the unity demonstrated by the majority of the protestors from all walks of life, and from many cops who have held banners supporting justice for Floyd while doing their job to maintain peace during demonstrations), but these riots (not the protests) are doing the opposite and do no honor or justice for Floyd or the others who have similarly suffered.

As a Brit who is a proud nationalized US citizen, I love this country and all of the people that are a part of it. It breaks my heart to see those that want to leverage injustice to bring about more divisiveness and anarchy, winning.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Oh and all those that want to morally dwell on the difference between protester and rioter, we have seen countless video shows of peaceful protests being broken up and attacked. What then? Why don't ya'll make a movement of education because you seem to have all the moral compass and answers. Enlighten us yo.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Based on what I tend to see in this forum, I'm sure people will argue against this, but the vast majority of cops are good people that do a thankless, dangerous job and genuinely care about protecting all citizens, as per their oath. The vast majority are just as outraged that someone that took an oath to protect and serve has needlessly taken a life and damaged the trust that so many officers and police departments have worked hard to build. Is the system perfect? Hell no. Are some cops or even departments bad/racist/crooked? Absolutely. But to paint all of them as bad is unfair and inaccurate. Cops around the country, that had absolutely nothing to do with Floyd's death, are being screamed at, assaulted, having projectiles thrown at them ranging from fireworks to bottles urine and watching people spray paint things like "kill all pigs" around their city. I can't imagine what it must feel like to put your life on the line day in and day out to protect all citizens and then be subject to this because of what happened hundreds or thousands of miles away. I can't imagine what a frustrating and confusing time it must be for black police officers around the country.

People have every right to protest. Every right to be outraged. Every right to demand justice. And the vast majority are doing so peacefully and legitimately want change and justice. Then you have opportunists and anarchists stoking the flames and inciting riots, destruction of property and further divisiveness. I've seen countless videos of peaceful black protesters intervening on little antifa thugs trying to turn peaceful demonstrations violent. There are forces, domestic and international, trying to use this situation for their benefit to destabilize our society, not to bring justice for Floyd and end systemic issues.

I'm appalled by the number of people condoning the violence, the riots, the looting. How is it justified to burn and loot around the country because of what happened in Minneapolis? I don't think those actions are justified there, either, but one could at least argue that they are acting against the institution that caused Floyd's death. The Atlanta, Baltimore, DC, New York, etc. etc. police departments have nothing to do with Minneapolis.

What is justice? True justice is due process. This country was founded on this principle and these riots will not subvert anyone's right to a fair trial (which in this case I hope ends in convictions). But due process takes time. The process is underway, we have to let it run its course. In the meantime, I support everyone's right to peacefully demonstrate their outrage and their demands for change, but violence, destruction and theft don't do that.

We can only improve as a country if we are united, and the country is certainly united in wanting justice for Floyd. This incident has the power to bring about true change by bringing everyone together (as we've seen by the unity demonstrated by the majority of the protestors from all walks of life, and from many cops who have held banners supporting justice for Floyd while doing their job to maintain peace during demonstrations), but these riots (not the protests) are doing the opposite and do no honor or justice for Floyd or the others who have similarly suffered.

As a Brit who is a proud nationalized US citizen, I love this country and all of the people that are a part of it. It breaks my heart to see those that want to leverage injustice to bring about more divisiveness and anarchy, winning.
I'm not sure anymore, I know some of them are good some are bad. I just don't think the good is that much more, and what good do they do if they can't stop the bad guys?

They're not civilian, I can understand if civilian keeps quite, they're LEO sword to serve and protect and they fail to do so.

Look at the protest for example, the bad cops shoves and brutalized protester, what's the other cops doing? if a 100 police can't and won't stop the 1 that violates the law can you tell me they're good cop?

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
You can almost see her twirling a strand of hair around her finger as she thinks 'Like, whatever, get over it.'
Her response to Blacklivesmatter - "Nobody has the balls to touch them... which really makes you wonder about the oppression they keep screeching about. Seems like they have some pretty special privleges if you ask me."

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Because, like JFK said:

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."

Cloud7

That’s all well and good except your country was founded on a bunch of rich white slave owners rebelling against their British overlords because they didn’t want to pay more tax. The country was literally born out of the American revolution. Due process never had any place there, and America was never founded on any principle of equality.

As for the good cops thing, that’s such a tired cliche. If you’re a good cop, you don’t sit by while abuses of power take place all around you. If there’s one racist in the office who abuses his power and targets black people, and nine other officers who don’t, but know that this officer does it, then there are ten bad officers as far as I’m concerned.

This was a really nice, chest thumping way of saying “We’re all in this together, let’s hold hands and get along and figure out a peaceful way through this” but that exact line of thinking hasn’t work for the past few decades, so people can be excused for thinking that it won’t do much good now.