Protests following the killing of George Floyd

Precaution

Anybody remember the riots in England in 2011? Alot of that was a bunch of white people jumping on Mark Duggans death and looted London amongst other places pretty pointlessly.

Simbo

Christ, I need to go to bed but can't escape this thread, only on page 34 :/

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
My area has had small peaceful protests, but listening in to lapd radio and Santa Monica, it’s getting really busy. Lots of burglaries, armed robberies, carjackings, and looting of stores with no officers to respond to, and a unit just got shot at 4x in a drive by. Just lawlessness all around the southland since they know they’ll get away with it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Carnage. 'knocked his mother fcuking ass down'.

2nd VDO provides context

Last edited:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Anybody remember the riots in England in 2011? Alot of that was a bunch of white people jumping on Mark Duggans death and looted London amongst other places pretty pointlessly.
Yeah, it was mental. Especially for the UK riots arent really a thing for us. Not in my lifetime anyway.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
My area has had small peaceful protests, but listening in to lapd radio and Santa Monica, it’s getting really busy. Lots of burglaries, armed robberies, carjackings, and looting of stores with no officers to respond to, and a unit just got shot at 4x in a drive by. Just lawlessness all around the southland since they know they’ll get away with it.
@ US residents @Carolina Red etc.

What do you think will happen after this finishes re: all civilian violence on each other, looting etc? A massive amnesty or will Government try to convict everyone with evidence?

jungledrums

Rioting brings the city to a standstill, and draws attention to the issue at hand by force.

I'm not aware of any large-scale societal change, such as giving citizens rights or gaining equality - which has come about without violence.
There are many, many examples of change that has occurred on the back of peaceful protest, incidental or otherwise - the Montgomery Bus being one notable example.

jungledrums

Because the looting affects their sensibilities more than the police brutality, when they themselves had never been victims of the latter.
They can see themselves in the storeowners, in the people inconvenienced in their daily routines by the riot, in the scumbag police with his knee pressing down, but never in someone like George Floyd.

That’s why peaceful protest was never going to solve anything, because there’s no common interest between them and the oppressed.
That’s a really profound point mate. Well said.

roykeane19

One thign isnt there aways mass protests when a police officer kills an innocent black person, and then its forgotten about, and things go back to normal, until the police get caught again(video)

Also I really hate when people around the world on social media all start posting stuff, and then accuse others that if they arent posting soemthing it means theyre complicit. Just reposting something on social media doesnt make you a hero

And 95% of people who are psoting shit on social media are the usual uninformed follow the bandwagon crowd because its cool. Same with the "be kind" crap that everyone was posting but then forget about 1 week later

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Derek Chauvin scheduled to appear in court for a hearing at 1 p.m. CT Monday

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
One thign isnt there aways mass protests when a police officer kills an innocent black person, and then its forgotten about, and things go back to normal, until the police get caught again(video)

Also I really hate when people around the world on social media all start posting stuff, and then accuse others that if they arent posting soemthing it means theyre complicit. Just reposting something on social media doesnt make you a hero

And 95% of people who are psoting shit on social media are the usual uninformed follow the bandwagon crowd because its cool. Same with the "be kind" crap that everyone was posting but then forget about 1 week later
I think that was the point Childish Gambino was making with "This is America"

Carolina Red

Staff
Whoops

Edit: Damn - tweet got deleted.

Tweet showed the police fire tear gas at protestors in Atlanta and then a breeze take the gas back into the cops' face.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Wow - the Minneapolis police chief was just at the site of George Floyd's murder, spoke to CNN with Floyd's family via the CNN reporter, and said that police officer silence = complicity. That the other officers there were complicit in Floyd's death.

Last edited:

Simbo

Right I'm caught up. So are tickets available to go to Mars yet?

jungledrums

Thread...
I agree with these tweets. I also lament that the next few days/weeks will likely be dominated by media headlines highlighting only the violence etc.

The violence is regrettable. That is not a racist, ‘anti-protest’ sentiment to hold. Whether propagated by the police, by protesters, or by opportunists infiltrating the protests to inflict carnage. I don’t care - it’s regrettable. It’s regrettable because more people are facing serious injury/death, and it’s regrettable because it distracts from the actual problem.

Some posters here have rather hypocritically called out others for a lack of historical awareness as regards the US. These same posters then erroneously suggest no peaceful protest has ever led to meaningful change in the US. Whether or not you believe what is occurring is necessary (a view I’m not entirely unsympathetic toward), that is a ludicrous supposition.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Just horrific and totally unnecessary.
1st VDO shows Seattle sounding like Raqqa under attack
2nd one present issues with ID-ing the police who make these unlawful violent arrests.

Also, the cops have now committed so many acts of violence on white people providing so many "karens" with their own souvenir piece of 'police brutality lived experience'. How will this mess ever get sorted out?

And its not like USA isn't hitting world record on covid19 either?! At least Trump has an excuse lined up now for a heinous oncoming 2nd wave.

Global recession just became a great depression.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Have peaceful protests ever worked?
Looking for moral high ground when your.people are being killed left, right and centre is stupid.
As the woman on Fareed said, there is no form of protest that the White man will accept because he simply does not want to be confronted with his racism.
Colin Kaepernick was banished for kneeling at a football game ffs!
Tbh, I am a bit irritated with some here coming to criticise the protest without offering any solutions.
Freedom, peace protest are just punchline used by the west to sedate the oppressed

It only works if the oppressed are a far majority (India / South Africa) other than that everywhere else you need actual violence and fighting to achieve it. It works in India not because it's peaceful, but because there's probably 1 Englishman and 100000 Indians, the thought of what they can do when they stop being peaceful is a very very powerful silent coercion.

100 KKK surrounding 3 peaceful black protester
3 KKK Surrounded by 100 peaceful black protester

So no, peaceful protest I don't think it works, it never works. The only time they works is a very different circumstances.

Irwin99

This can't continue ...can it?! Where does this end? It'd be a wake up call for just about any other country but not with that president. I don't see how this is healed.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This can't continue ...can it?! Where does this end? It'd be a wake up call for just about any other country but not with that president. I don't see how this is healed.
Under Trump? In the middle of covid19 and a likely 2nd wave of infections.

Don't want to get melodramatic but it feels apocalyptic. From what I can see, entire city centres are being looted, and trashed. The state has lost public trust wrt to state security and policing. No idea how they can quickly rebuild that.

This is beginning to have global security, political and economic issues.

Economy was fcuked anyway, cost of riots and 2nd covid19 wave could create Knock on effects resulting into complete anarchy.

Or perhaps more learned US commentators can tell me I'm over reacting.

Last edited: