Protests following the killing of George Floyd

DVG7

The video of the girl posing for a pic looking like a model citizen helping a shop owner was the final straw for me. The median of humanity is a selfish, self obsessed wannabe influencer.

To all the people who are protesting in good faith, for the right reasons and will continue to be doing so three months from now, good on you. Those who realize that if you want to make a difference by kneeling today, you need to be willing to kneel tomorrow, and the next day, and the next, all the way through June, July and august, each and every day. If the masses do that, then we MIGHT see tangible change. I fear however that this will go the way the MPH campaign went, the way the ALS ice bucket challenge went and the way the Joseph Kony thing went: it’ll be short term fixes that people get on board with because it’s the “in” thing, and it won’t get close to solving the long standing issue. Here in Canada, where coronavirus still exists (like it does almost everywhere else in the fecking world) and is an even more major threat to people of colour, thousands of people break social distancing guidelines and chant black lives matter. To not even be able to protest and maintain guidelines that will keep the people you are protesting for much safer from a deadly virus, is one of the most hypocritical things I’ve ever seen. There are ways to do things, and so many people are just not getting it.

Sigma

So what would you suggest people do, and what have you done yourself?
I think educating yourself about global racism and police brutality in the US is a lot more important than posting something on facebook or instagram. Now they could have done both, which I guess is also fine. I just get a feeling that lots of people are hopping on the bandwagon of talking about this just because it's 'in fashion' and not doing it for a sincere reason.

As for myself, I started the 'Cop in America doing a bad job, again' thread so I've had an interest in these types of stories for a long time now and have been educating myself about them for that period of time.

Last edited:

DVG7

can you honestly say this guy shouldn't have his stations burned to the ground?
There were a lot of options for “stupid as feck” statements, but he went to the top of the pile. Just deplorable.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Pex, we're living in the twilight zone right now mate, anything and everything is believable now.
Ahe, I’m all too aware of that pal which is why I thought it best to clear it up whereas I’d usually leave a joke like that roll.

RedDevil@84

So you have an idiot of chief and then we have a Covidiot on the left who is wearing his masks for the cameras?
Why? Is he going to loot a shop and wants to be unidentified?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I think educating yourself about global racism and police brutality in the US is a lot more important than posting something on facebook or instagram. Now they could have done both, which I guess is also fine. I just get a feeling that lots of people are hopping on the bandwagon of talking about this just because it's 'in fashion' and not doing it for a sincere reason.

As for myself, I started the 'Cop in America doing a bad job, again' thread so I've had an interest in these types of stories for a long time now and have been educating myself about them for that period of time.
Whether it's 'in fashion' or not, it raises awareness, which is necessary & long overdue.
They're also not causing any harm, and the visibility & reach that these posts have is going to cause more good than bad, because it unearths the racists, and it may prompt people who don't have to live with racism to do their own research just to keep up to date with current trends.

My only issue is with brands/corporations/businesses who post up something to do with BLM but have a history of discrimination, lack of diversity at leadership, high turnover of minority employees etc. Similarly for celebrities/influencers too.

I don't really see what good it does judging people for posting up harmless hashtags/pics in support of a worthy cause otherwise.

edit - just seen your edit now.

Have you donated to any causes? signed any petitions? put up some posts yourself? spoken to family members/friends who are silent/unaware of whats going on?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I'm coming round to the view that the Russian people have just as much influence on their leaders as Americans. The land of the free has a police force that seems to kill with impunity, the largest prison population in the world (inc per head of population), more guns than people, a hundred times more rough sleepers per head of population than the UK so no wonder they are rioting. If you are poor its better to live in Russia. Its hard to argue against when the president is sending in the national guard and threatening to send in the army.

No western people get the leaders they deserve but I think the people of the USA get the worst leaders. I wonder how Trump supporters feel about the current unemployment figures. For how long are they going to let the corona virus angle let him off the hook? Can he really get re-elected this year.
I am not sure they would even blame their Donald. Its everyone else that is at fault. Its a witch-hunt dont you know!

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
The guy that immediately fired the 4 officers and then went to the site of the murder, prayed with protestors, and spoke to Floyd’s family?
Of course he would do that. At this point shits hit the fan and he is going to do everything to appease. Not to mention ordering firing bullets at media personal. In any private company, industry or heck sport the buck stops at the manager and failure of any function is the managers responsibility.

The start is with proper accountability. Management in the police forced across the nation should feel if they have racist/power tripping cops in their unit their job is at risk.

So I don't know if it should be the chief or someone who is direct management (I don't know that much about police ranks) but management has to be held accountable.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
So Trump (and the police) have all-but given the green light for groups of (mostly white MAGA-type) armed vigilantes to come and "assist" in controlling the streets.

I suspect we will now see at least one instance of these vigilantes getting violent and excessive against black protesters. That will be the point where the police will have to pick a side - and if they choose the vigilantes (as I suspect they might), I think this whole thing escalates up a notch.
Another step towards an all out civil (race) war has just been taken. They are turning their own military on there own people. What an absolute shambles the USA is.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I don't know why I'm surprised, but there's an almost shocking amount of police brutality out there just from the last few days. I'd seen some, but there are so many. And in most cases it's clear that the police agitated without provocation, in many cases against press clearly identified as such, and in some cases against press not even remotely near any protestors. I'm beginning to think that when it comes to the US, all cops are indeed bastards.

Sigma

You’re a true hero
I don't see the necessity for sarcasm. The guy asked what I had done, I answered that I have educated myself of the situation, citing an example.

Whether it's 'in fashion' or not, it raises awareness, which is necessary & long overdue.
They're also not causing any harm, and the visibility & reach that these posts have is going to cause more good than bad, because it unearths the racists, and it may prompt people who don't have to live with racism to do their own research just to keep up to date with current trends.

My only issue is with brands/corporations/businesses who post up something to do with BLM but have a history of discrimination, lack of diversity at leadership, high turnover of minority employees etc. Similarly for celebrities/influencers too.

I don't really see what good it does judging people for posting up harmless hashtags/pics in support of a worthy cause otherwise.

edit - just seen your edit now.

Have you donated to any causes? signed any petitions? put up some posts yourself? spoken to family members/friends who are silent/unaware of whats going on?
That's why I said if you post whilst actually understanding the situation, then thats good. My issue is with people who are not actually understanding the situation and just posting on social media because everyone else is doing it and because it may make them cool, it's an empty gesture which doesn't actually mean anything. For anything to actually change, the gestures must be meaningful or otherwise in about a month all of this will be forgotten and no one will have learned anything.

I haven't posted anything on social media although I did sign a petition. As a member of the public, it's my responsibility to treat people the same way regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation etc. If everyone does that, then racism is eradicated. Posting on social media doesn't do anything unless you actually understand the reasons behind it and what each individual member of the public has to do to confront this problem. As I said, I get that quite a few people are posting on social media in a sincere way to raise awareness for this issue (which is of course good), however there are also some which are to the contrary. And also my gripe is where all this global commotion was when it's been happening (and documented on mobile phones) for years.

I would agree with you in parts. The true message has started to get diluted with people who don't really care using it as an opportunity for 'look at me' self promotion, and others using it as an opportunity to simply go and steal stuff. I don't believe either are helpful as once the original focus of the protest gets lost so does the momentum. If it's a cause you truly care about, go out and actually do something.

neverdie

And also my gripe is where all this global commotion was when it's been happening (and documented on mobile phones) for years.
When segregation ended would you have been like "why now"?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Oski Isaiah said:
Y’all can understand a white kid shooting up a school cuz he was bullied after 4 months of school but don’t understand why an oppressed group is compelled to burn shit down after 400yrs

Abizzz

Oski Isaiah said:
Y’all can understand a white kid shooting up a school cuz he was bullied after 4 months of school but don’t understand why an oppressed group is compelled to burn shit down after 400yrs
Not only that. The more I've thought about it, the more burning down shit makes sense. It's that shit that the police defends when they are killing, it's that shit's taxes that pays their wages, and that shit's voters that don't think change is neccessary. If you feel like the system doesn't care about your life, destructing it's pillars makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

Sigma

When segregation ended would you have been like "why now"?
Yeah that is a good point, and why I said my original post was somewhat irrational (i.e. a movement must eventually start somewhere). But of course to answer your question, I wouldn't have said that.

However awful this occurrence was, it kind of annoys me how this one is getting global coverage with people from differing countries even contributing to the protest but other instances of police brutality which occur very often do not garner this kind of attention. I know this annoyance may be irrational as the beginning of a global movement against racism is obvisouly great, however I can't help but feel lots of people are doing it in an insincere manner on social media platforms (i.e. just following everyone else in posting something about this instance of police brutality when no other instance of police brutality got this kind of attention).

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Truth is a lot of cops long for an event like this to put on all their cosplay gear, play with all their toys and crack some skulls.

We saw that little prick bouncing on his toes the other day just waiting to go. Another crew walking through a normal neighbourhood and one shouting "LIGHT THEM UP!" before shooting at people at their doorway. Bunch of roidy little cnuts.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I don't see the necessity for sarcasm. The guy asked what I had done, I answered that I have educated myself of the situation, citing an example.

That's why I said if you post whilst actually understanding the situation, then thats good. My issue is with people who are not actually understanding the situation and just posting on social media because everyone else is doing it and because it may make them cool, it's an empty gesture which doesn't actually mean anything. For anything to actually change, the gestures must be meaningful or otherwise in about a month all of this will be forgotten and no one will have learned anything.

I haven't posted anything on social media although I did sign a petition. As a member of the public, it's my responsibility to treat people the same way regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation etc. If everyone does that, then racism is eradicated. Posting on social media doesn't do anything unless you actually understand the reasons behind it and what each individual member of the public has to do to confront this problem. As I said, I get that quite a few people are posting on social media in a sincere way to raise awareness for this issue (which is of course good), however there are also some which are to the contrary.
I'm failing to see how there's a difference in awareness raised when one person posts something on social media who doesn't the situation (your interpretation) vs awareness raised when someone who apparently does understand the situation, does it.

If i'm being honest, I don't think anyone understands the situation.
I think black & ethnic minorities know what it's like to live with racism, I think white people know that racism is wrong, and I think an increasing portion of people are beginning to bear witness to the scale of police brutality - however that last group of people are learning this primarily through social media.

There's probably dozens of people in this thread alone who are seeing treatment of black people at the hands of police that they otherwise wouldn't have been exposed to, if it wasn't for social media.

Beyond that, nobody knows whats going to happen next, nobody knows to what extent this will reach, nobody knows when it stops - none of that seems like having an understanding of a situation to me.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
CEO of the company I work for sent out the blandest, most corporate "take care of each other" email ever

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Not only that. The more I've thought about it, the more burning down shit makes sense. It's that shit that the police defends when they are killing, it's that shit's taxes that pays their wages, and that shit's voters that don't think change is neccessary. If you feel like the system doesn't care about your life destructing it's pillars makes perfect sense.
Doesn't burning shit down(as run over police) justify the forceful police response during these days ?, or how should the police act to take control of the situation

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

70 out of 700 were adjudged to have committed a crime.

So at least 90% of people arrested were innocent.

That’s not really cause for any kind of celebration Mr Police Man.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I don't know why I'm surprised, but there's an almost shocking amount of police brutality out there just from the last few days. I'd seen some, but there are so many. And in most cases it's clear that the police agitated without provocation, in many cases against press clearly identified as such, and in some cases against press not even remotely near any protestors. I'm beginning to think that when it comes to the US, all cops are indeed bastards.

Brutality is absolutely intrinsic to the police system in the US. It's always been the case, it's only that events now are making more people aware of it than before. The idea that there were 'bad apples' completely missed the point when you have a system that is consciously designed to legitimise violence, harassment and murder without consequence i.e. actively encourages and protects these 'bad apples'.

Withnail

He was called out on those comments and apologised for them:

https://deadline.com/2020/06/lapd-c...-floyds-death-is-on-looters-hands-1202948867/

I still don't understand how he gets from stating 10% of those arrested after curfew were involved in looting/damaging businesses to the conclusion that there were no protests and everyone who was out was involved in criminality.

That seems like a dangerous starting point for the police mindset and not in line with the facts as he presented them.

Flying high

"his death is on their hands" ?! Jesus Christ... just when you thought you'd heard it all.
He's an absolute d1ck for saying that, especially right now.

The point he is (really badly)making has been made in so many ongoing conflicts before. 'We only did this because you did that', ad infinitum. This argument carries some validity only when there is a semblance of equality between the warring parties.

The relationship between the police in the US and African Americans is much more like the bully trying to provoke a reaction, then acting all innocent when the bullied party finally loses their temper.

Sigma

I'm failing to see how there's a difference in awareness raised when one person posts something on social media who doesn't the situation (your interpretation) vs awareness raised when someone who apparently does understand the situation, does it.

If i'm being honest, I don't think anyone understands the situation.
I think black & ethnic minorities know what it's like to live with racism, I think white people know that racism is wrong, and I think an increasing portion of people are beginning to bear witness to the scale of police brutality - however that last group of people are learning this primarily through social media.

There's probably dozens of people in this thread alone who are seeing treatment of black people at the hands of police that they otherwise wouldn't have been exposed to, if it wasn't for social media.

Beyond that, nobody knows whats going to happen next, nobody knows to what extent this will reach, nobody knows when it stops - none of that seems like having an understanding of a situation to me.
Maybe understand is the wrong word, I mean more 'being able in the future to critically evaluate yourself and adjust your actions if need be in order to treat everyone the same way regardless of their background'.

neverdie

Yeah that is a good point, and why I said my original post was somewhat irrational (i.e. a movement must eventually start somewhere)
The starting point of anything will always seem arbitrary because if it's legitimate it could always have happened earlier. My concern is more about the potential for focus to be hijacked from the event itself. Media outlets will be delighted to cover this from any angle which doesn't involve an unmediated look at social inequality and racism. They usually use celebrities to water it down.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
My understanding of it is if someone posts something once during this situation and doesn't follow through on that 'one' post compared to people that use this moment to push for long term commitment and change i.e make sure that this moment, even if it is the first time they have spoken up about it, it isn't the last time either.

Sigma

The starting point of anything will always seem arbitrary because if it's legitimate it could always have happened earlier. My concern is more about the potential for focus to be hijacked from the event itself. Media outlets will be delighted to cover this from any angle which doesn't involve an unmediated look at social inequality and racism. They usually use celebrities to water it down.
Yes I also agree with your sentiment.