g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Radamel Falcao image 9

Radamel Falcao Colombia flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Same. Better than RVP (who he made the goal for) and Rooney (who created Leicester's 3rd).
Yeah. I said "all things considered" cos there's a lot to be consisted. New team, new league, questionable fitness etc. this was basically his debut and he did very well by all accounts. I didn't expect half the contribution he gave today. He rarely gave it away, played the right pass 90% of the time and RVPs goal was entirely down to his movement and quality cross.

Plus the only sniff of a chance he got he nearly executed perfectly. For the role he was playing half fit in a very physical away game, I think he was pretty darn impressive.

And I don't use the word darn lightly. Or indeed, at all.

Mersault

He looks very much like an upgraded Hernandez to me.
He's better at the things Hernandez is good at. But he's got so much more, strength, link-up ability. He's a much more complete player.

mufcwarm92

Silly comparing him to Hernandez, he's significantly better at absolutely everything.

Falcao has a touch, for a start. He's a good dribbler and can hold it up, neither of which Hernandez can do.

Sam

He's better at the things Hernandez is good at. But he's got so much more, strength, link-up ability. He's a much more complete player.
Hmmm, he didn't look particularity strong to me today, and his link up play and first touch didn't look anything out of the ordinary.

I'm probably being overly critical because of the 'hype' surrounding him, and because of his record. I guess I'm expecting a bonafide superstar.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
More than anything else I'd say what separates him from Hernández is his ability in the air. Not that Hernández is weak in that area, just that Falcao is (or was at Atlético at least) the best striker in the world at heading the ball.

Say Goodbye

I was completely shocked by the accuracy of that cross ('you have so much time, what are you doing?') and the audaciousness of that shot. This boy's got talent.

Lothar

I was completely shocked by the accuracy of that cross ('you have so much time, what are you doing?') and the audaciousness of that shot. This boy's got talent.
His movement to beat the defender prior to the cross was class as well. Like a fox.

Nights

Hmmm, he didn't look particularity strong to me today, and his link up play and first touch didn't look anything out of the ordinary.

I'm probably being overly critical because of the 'hype' surrounding him, and because of his record. I guess I'm expecting a bonafide superstar.
Not everyone is Messi or Ronaldo, and this isn't FIFA, you can't expect players to dribble around three defenders and a do a bicycle kick in his first start under a new manager at a new club in a new league.

He's a centre forward, one of the best there is in world football.

But he's also coming off a knee injury, and he'll take time to adjust and gel with his new team mates.

I thought he played fine. The cross was dead accurate and that shot of his that came off the bar, not many players would have the technique to generate that type of pace from that position to beat the goalie. And the amount of times I saw him ready to make a run and signal, yet get ignored by Rooney was astonishing. Someone like Mata with a quicker release would have been perfect.

JSMHE

I have been saying this so many times, he's not what we need and shouldn't spend a lot of money just to loan him a season. We should use that money to get a world class centre back instead. I'm not judging Rojo and Falcao 1 poor performance here, what I mean is I think it would be much better if we sign a world class centre back like Hummels or whoever are great quality and has a leader attitude instead of signing striker.

Good luck for Falcao to help us to get into Champion League.

Devil may care

I have been saying this so many times, he's not what we need and shouldn't spend a lot of money just to loan him a season. We should use that money to get a world class centre back instead. I'm not judging Rojo and Falcao 1 poor performance here, what I mean is I think it would be much better if we sign a world class centre back like Hummels or whoever are great quality and has a leader attitude instead of signing striker.

Good luck for Falcao to help us to get into Champion League.
One has nothing to do with the other, if Dortmund were willing to sell and he was wanting to leave we'd have signed Hummels regardless, but they didn't and he didn't so we couldn't.

JSMHE

One has nothing to do with the other, if Dortmund were willing to sell and he was wanting to leave we'd have signed Hummels regardless, but they didn't and he didn't so we couldn't.
Money will convince Dortmund. Remember how Klopp said that Dortmund is still a selling club.

Devil may care

Money will convince Dortmund. Remember how Klopp said that Dortmund is still a selling club.
If money would have convinced then this summer I think we would have spent it, but they try to only lose one of their main assets per summer and this summer it was Lewandowski.

JSMHE

If money would have convinced then this summer I think we would have spent it, but they try to only lose one of their main assets per summer and this summer it was Lewandowski.
We would. But we didn't because LVG picked Rojo. LVG picks the player, and we prepare the money. LVG picked Falcao even though Monaco is in Champion League. We have a bigger history and ambition than Dortmund and Monaco and LVG is a bigger manager than Klopp. In the past I don't believe we could but after seeing that we could convince Monaco and Falcao with money then I think it's not impossible to sign Hummels from Dortmund last summer if we want to give a try.

Devil may care

We would. But we didn't because LVG picked Rojo. LVG picks the player, and we prepare the money. LVG picked Falcao even though Monaco is in Champion League. We have a bigger history and ambition than Dortmund and Monaco and LVG is a bigger manager than Klopp. In the past I don't believe we could but after seeing that we could convince Monaco and Falcao with money then I think it's not impossible to sign Hummels from Dortmund last summer if we want to give a try.
I don't think he picked Rojo over Hummels, Rojo was the left footed CB option when Vermaelen fell through. I truly think had there been any way to get Hummels here this summer we would have done it, but you have to consider Hummels might not want to leave, LvG may be bigger than Klopp but he is also 15 years older so has had the time to achieve more, and to Hummels Klopp is a mentor. Plus Dortmund play in front of arguably the best home support in Europe with a huge 80,000 gate every time.

JSMHE

I don't think he picked Rojo over Hummels, Rojo was the left footed CB option when Vermaelen fell through. I truly think had there been any way to get Hummels here this summer we would have done it, but you have to consider Hummels might not want to leave, LvG may be bigger than Klopp but he is also 15 years older so has had the time to achieve more, and to Hummels Klopp is a mentor. Plus Dortmund play in front of arguably the best home support in Europe with a huge 80,000 gate every time.
I'm not saying he picked Rojo over Hummels. But his choice was a left footer defender who can play as a left back and centre back in 352 and not give a try on Hummels. But now we have Blind who can play as a left back and we probably will play 4 in the back.

As I said before, Klopp admitted that Dortmund is still a selling club.
If we reach agreement with Dortmund to sell the player then Hummels will have no choice but to leave as long as we can afford the wage he asks.

orangeboom999

Hiding under a rock until the next game...
Tbf mangala made his debut today and looked like he'd been playing in the pl all his life. City might finally not be up shit creek when kompany (inevitably) gets injured.
And on his PL debut is MotM against Chelsea... I think he grabbed the position for good, unless he has a blunder in the next game or something like that.
Guess I should have watched that game before I made that post...

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I am shocked that people were anything but very impressed with a proven world class player working his way back slowly from a very serious knee injury. I thought he showed that he was a different class today, even to RVP (who admittedly looks a little out of form).

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He produced two world class moments.. genuine top drawer stuff which only the elite are capable of and the rest was meh, but he is working his way to fitness - it is so evident how clumsy he still was, but on the plus side.. you could tell he still has a burst of pace to him, he's definitely going to be quick once he gets sharp.

ZDwyr

If he is still building his fitness then the signs are promising.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Falcao is mainly a penalty box striker. I've watched him a lot for 3 years. Seeing him cross that ball for van Persie surprised me because It's not really something I've ever seen him do, just like when he put Costa through against RM in the copa final. Build up play isn't usually his game, so anyone expecting more will be disappointed. He almost is a bit like Hernandez, his touch is a bit loose and dribbling isn't his strongest point. Luckily finishing is and he's a much more deadly goalscorer.

Devil may care

I'm not saying he picked Rojo over Hummels. But his choice was a left footer defender who can play as a left back and centre back in 352 and not give a try on Hummels. But now we have Blind who can play as a left back and we probably will play 4 in the back.

As I said before, Klopp admitted that Dortmund is still a selling club.
If we reach agreement with Dortmund to sell the player then Hummels will have no choice but to leave as long as we can afford the wage he asks.
His choice would have been to sign Rojo and Hummels but Hummels didn't want to leave Dortmund and they didn't want to sell, and none of that has anything to do with Falcao, all would be separate pieces of business not dependent on one and other.

izec

should have never started instaed of Mata, nowhere near the first team fitness wise. I dont understand van Gaal's logic, playing Falcao and leaving Shaw on the bench. I wanted the same lineup as last game, with fit palyers and not players who can play 50 mins only.

JSMHE

His choice would have been to sign Rojo and Hummels but Hummels didn't want to leave Dortmund and they didn't want to sell, and none of that has anything to do with Falcao, all would be separate pieces of business not dependent on one and other.
He hasn't say anything about Hummels. And again, if both clubs reach an agreement then all left is just talk contract with the agent of players. Even if Hummels doesn't want to leave but the club wants to sell the player because of money then Hummels has no choice but to leave. Falcao + Rojo signing means we have plenty money to spend on Hummels. As I said before, Klopp already admits that Dortmund is still a selling club. It's not an impossible deal last summer.

Ibi Dreams

His movement to beat the defender prior to the cross was class as well. Like a fox.
I loved how he stepped towards the ball dragging the defender with him then quickly turned. So simple but it worked so well

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Falcao is mainly a penalty box striker. I've watched him a lot for 3 years. Seeing him cross that ball for van Persie surprised me because It's not really something I've ever seen him do, just like when he put Costa through against RM in the copa final. Build up play isn't usually his game, so anyone expecting more will be disappointed. He almost is a bit like Hernandez, his touch is a bit loose and dribbling isn't his strongest point. Luckily finishing is and he's a much more deadly goalscorer.
His linkup play was good, he accelerates our play and doesnt keep the ball too long. Its maybe due to his form but Falcao is a good dribbler.

Devil may care

He hasn't say anything about Hummels. And again, if both clubs reach an agreement then all left is just talk contract with the agent of players. Even if Hummels doesn't want to leave but the club wants to sell the player because of money then Hummels has no choice but to leave. Falcao + Rojo signing means we have plenty money to spend on Hummels. As I said before, Klopp already admits that Dortmund is still a selling club. It's not an impossible deal last summer.
Many reports say we did ask about Hummels and were told point blank he was not for sale this summer, Dortmund had already lost Lewandwoski so they didn't want another one out of the door and obviously didn't feel they needed the money this summer.

JSMHE

Many reports say we did ask about Hummels and were told point blank he was not for sale this summer, Dortmund had already lost Lewandwoski so they didn't want another one out of the door and obviously didn't feel they needed the money this summer.
seems like rumours which haven't been confirmed.

Bwuk

Falcao at Athletico is so far ahead of Hernandez it's a pointless discussion. Give him time, he's only played twice for us now, and once off the bench.

He'll score against West Ham.

rooneyaldo

previously Cardiff, Wales. Now Montreal, Canada
I cannot believe we are even mentioning Chicha in the same breath as Falcao, even in yesterday's performance, Falcao looked light years ahead in his touch technique and ability to carry the ball. Of course he made poor touches but thats because he is still not fully fit and settling into a new club. But just from this movement and intimacy with the ball, you can tell he has a lot of give in terms of our overall play.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So we simply push our most important lead player and the personification of Klopp´s football out of the door, because United throws money in our direction? Do you know anything about Borussia Dortmund at all?

Klopp also never admitted that we are a selling club, just that we lost key players in recent years. There is a difference in my book. A selling club is a club like Porto, which depends on transfer income to keep the club from writing red figures. This is not the case with us. We are actually spending money right now to strengthen the squad.

In three of the four cases of departing key players, Dortmund never intended to sell for money. Sahin and Götze left by triggering their release clauses and Lewandowski fullfilled his contract. That leaves Kagawa as the only concious decision by the club of letting someone leave. Kagawa clearly wanted to fullfill his wish of playing for United and his contract situation made the Summer of 2012 the last window, when we could have gotten decent money for him.

In all cases it was the player who voiced his wish to leave. The club would have kept everyone of them if they had the choice. Two of them have even returned by now after realising that the grass is not always greener on the other side. That makes the idea of us forcing a player as loyal and important as Hummels out for money so hilarious. We don´t need the money and are right now trying to keep them together as long as possible by getting rid of the last remaining release clause in the squad.

Hummels was never for sell given his contract situation and importance. I don´t know if United made an offer or asked if he was available. It wouldn´t have mattered either way. If Hummels leaves in the future, then it will be because he wants to and not because the club wants to cash in.

JSMHE

So we simply push our most important lead player and the personification of Klopp´s football out of the door, because United throws money in our direction? Do you know anything about Borussia Dortmund at all?

Klopp also never admitted that we are a selling club, just that we lost key players in recent years. There is a difference in my book. A selling club is a club like Porto, which depends on transfer income to keep the club from writing red figures. This is not the case with us. We are actually spending money right now to strengthen the squad.

In three of the four cases of departing key players, Dortmund never intended to sell for money. Sahin and Götze left by triggering their release clauses and Lewandowski fullfilled his contract. That leaves Kagawa as the only concious decision by the club of letting someone leave. Kagawa clearly wanted to fullfill his wish of playing for United and his contract situation made the Summer of 2012 the last window, when we could have gotten decent money for him.

In all cases it was the player who voiced his wish to leave. The club would have kept everyone of them if they had the choice. Two of them have even returned by now after realising that the grass is not always greener on the other side. That makes the idea of us forcing a player as loyal and important as Hummels out for money so hilarious. We don´t need the money and are right now trying to keep them together as long as possible by getting rid of the last remaining release clause in the squad.

Hummels was never for sell given his contract situation and importance. I don´t know if United made an offer or asked if he was available. It wouldn´t have mattered either way. If Hummels leaves in the future, then it will be because he wants to and not because the club wants to cash in.
He said it in press conference in January that Dortmund is still a selling club.

It is hilarious, but it's also not impossible to sign your player either because your player wants to leave or because your club wants to cash in. And I already said it already, that we don't know if we made an offer or asked about him. We probably never had any talk about him this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.