Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
No, but Coleman is probably better than Rafael though. Coleman was the best right-back in the league last season, alongside Zabaleta. I like Rafael, but he is massively overrated on RedCafe.
But couldn't the same be said of Rafael before the reign of terror was unleashed upon us ?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
But couldn't the same be said of Rafael before the reign of terror was unleashed upon us ?
Ferguson's final year Rafael was great, absolutely. Was he as good as Coleman last season? I wouldn't be too sure to be honest, Coleman was am absolute beast both defensively and offensively. I like Rafael, and I wouldn't go all out to replace him with Coleman as there wouldn't be enough an improvement to justify any fee... But Coleman is the superior right-back, for me and many others.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Ferguson's final year Rafael was great, absolutely. Was he as good as Coleman last season? I wouldn't be too sure to be honest, Coleman was am absolute beast both defensively and offensively. I like Rafael, and I wouldn't go all out to replace him with Coleman as there wouldn't be enough an improvement to justify any fee... But Coleman is the superior right-back, for me and many others.
Fair enough, I would agree with the assessment of Coleman being a notch above Rafael for about 18 months now. But ideally if we were to sell Rafael due to fitness concerns, I'd like someone who's undeniably world-class. Not sure if Seamus belongs in that category but then there aren't many quality right backs around these days apart from Lahm so it's slim picking. Dunno TBF. :D

As an aside I'm stunned by the general press reaction and commentary to Rafael's penalty vs Leicester and De Gea's odd errors this season. Might be wrong but it just smacks of partisan behavior and repeating the tedious established narrative of Rafael being exceptionally rash and De Gea being soft when dealing with crosses. Didn't they see the latter's performances last season. The former conceded one penalty. Not having a go at Coleman but didn't he score an own goal vs Chelsea at a pivotal time ? Yet no one harps upon that. Then again maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Oo0AahCantona

if rafael was able to stay fit id have him close to the top of my ,ist for the captaincy.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Fair enough, I would agree with the assessment of Coleman being a notch above Rafael for about 18 months now. But ideally if we were to sell Rafael due to fitness concerns, I'd like someone who's undeniably world-class. Not sure if Seamus belongs in that category but then there aren't many quality right backs around these days apart from Lahm so it's slim picking. Dunno TBF. :D

As an aside I'm stunned by the general press reaction and commentary to Rafael's penalty vs Leicester and De Gea's odd errors this season. Might be wrong but it just smacks of partisan behavior and repeating the tedious established narrative of Rafael being exceptionally rash and De Gea being soft when dealing with crosses. Didn't they see the latter's performances last season. The former conceded one penalty. Not having a go at Coleman but didn't he score an own goal vs Chelsea at a pivotal time ? Yet no one harps upon that. Then again maybe I'm just being paranoid.
Rafael generally doesn't get the praise he sometimes deserves, and finds himself scapegoat at times. As for de Gea, well he was absolutely slaughtered when he first arrived, I think Ogden wrote that it had shown how far de Gea had come that not much had been made about his mistake on Saturday.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No, but Coleman is probably better than Rafael though. Coleman was the best right-back in the league last season, alongside Zabaleta. I like Rafael, but he is massively overrated on RedCafe.
Same could be said of Rafael the year before, and there wasn't much between them (Coleman last season and Rafael 12/13) IMO. Rafael links up better with his winger and has a better cross I think while Coleman is more of a powerful runner probably. Both excellent fullbacks but I think Rafael has far more potential if he stays fit, but that's a big if. He's also a few years younger.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Same could be said of Rafael the year before, and there wasn't much between them (Coleman last season and Rafael 12/13) IMO. Rafael links up better with his winger and has a better cross I think while Coleman is more of a powerful runner probably. Both excellent fullbacks but I think Rafael has far more potential if he stays fit, but that's a big if. He's also a few years younger.
I'd definitely rate Rafael 12/13 better than Coleman last season, because he played in Europe against better players. Rafael definitely has issues with injury and that would be the only thing I'd hold against him.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Coleman is defensively solid, consistently healthy and likely has a higher motor but Rafael I think has a lot more quality especially going forward.

Manucho the boss

I'd definitely rate Rafael 12/13 better than Coleman last season, because he played in Europe against better players. Rafael definitely has issues with injury and that would be the only thing I'd hold against him.
He played better players in the 2 ties against Real Madrid but the group stage was Galatasaray, Braga and FC Cluj which doesn't outweigh a full season of excellence from Coleman last season.

Manucho the boss

Impressive. I didn't know that, he always seemed the fullback version of Valencia to me, strong and fast but predictable.
Yeah he was one of the main reasons they finished ahead of us I think. 6 goals, 2 assists and 15 clean sheets in the league would be a fantastic season for one of our full backs so to achieve it in an Everton team is even more impressive.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
On last season form Coleman is better but I think Rafael will go on to be a better player and has shown he can already be better.

FromTheBench

Everton play with Fullbacks moving lot more forward though on both sides and others tucking in more.

You would find Baines assisting Coleman inside the box at times too.

Coleman is pretty good but so is Rafael. Injuries is big concern for Rafael but i don't see justification spunking 30 odd million on Coleman either.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Feck me, Coleman is almost 26?

Manucho the boss

Everton play with Fullbacks moving lot more forward though on both sides and others tucking in more.

You would find Baines assisting Coleman inside the box at times too.

Coleman is pretty good but so is Rafael. Injuries is big concern for Rafael but i don't see justification spunking 30 odd million on Coleman either.
Agreed, I think Coleman would really suit a wing back role if we decide to stick with that. Apparently Mourinho wants him next Summer and he'll move Ivanovic central as Terry gets phased out. Coleman is a United fan so you never know.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Everton have Naismith and Lukaku, we have Van Persie, Falcao, Rooney and Di Maria.
These comparisons were made to justify Baines, who was the major flavour of the month for a while on here too. That was, of course, until everyone realised how shit he actually is. Coleman is obviously better, but the amount of stuff that is ignored in Coleman's game (mostly defensive responsibilities) but highly scrutinised in Rafael's account is baffling. I understand there's an influx of Irish posters on here, but I seriously don't think the Everton fans think this highly of Coleman.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
These comparisons were made to justify Baines, who was the major flavour of the month for a while on here too. That was, of course, until everyone realised how shit he actually is. Coleman is obviously better, but the amount of stuff that is ignored in Coleman's game (mostly defensive responsibilities) but highly scrutinised in Rafael's account is baffling. I understand there's an influx of Irish posters on here, but I seriously don't think the Everton fans think this highly of Coleman.
The wanking over Baines reached massive proportions. He turned down United to be with Everton la, he's the proper English player with commitment la. David Moyes tried to sign him too, feck me.

I'm beginning to question my own sanity if I'm really being thick with this Coleman > Rafael thing, hopefully it's just the Irish posters. I'm calling on my Slumdog millionaires from India to counter this frankly, frightening beast.

Manucho the boss

We all tend to rate our own players a bit higher as we relate to them and watch them develop here.

One of my mates is a good example, back in 2005/2006 his favourite player was Heinze and he would swear blind he was the best left back in the World, had several shirts with his name on them. The minute Heinze said he wanted a move to Liverpool my mate completely disowned him and started saying Patrice was now the best around and he actually convinced himself of it too.

I like to think I can take off the red tinted specs when judging one of our players and I believe Coleman to be an upgrade on Rafael currently. That's not to say Rafa won't be at his level when he's 26 if he can control himself and increase his game intelligence.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I like to think I can take off the red tinted specs when judging one of our players and I believe Coleman to be an upgrade on Rafael currently. That's not to say Rafa won't be at his level when he's 26 if he can control himself and increase his game intelligence.
It's one thing to say he currently isn't better, but to say he 'may get on his level' is bollocks. He was better two seasons ago, and has started this season better.

Manucho the boss

It's one thing to say he currently isn't better, but to say he 'may get on his level' is bollocks. He was better two seasons ago, and has started this season better.
I'd love to see Rafa get back to his best, questions remain if anyone else can get what Fergie was able to get from him though.

m1y2

Don't believe for one second that Raf wasn't part of LVG's plans. Calling bullshit on that one.
I don't believe it either but I didn't believe it with Welbeck anyway it was quite a different story. The only thing why we could assume van Gaal didn't like Rafael was when he wanted to paly 3-5-2 with wingbacks and Rafael could in his eyes be too "defensive". So he would have like to use more attacking minded players but as it turned out Rafaels looks much more threatening forward than both together which quite surprised me tbh because I thought Tony V could kick on but it didn't happen and yeah he is very very solid defensively and very consistent player. People giving him stick for BS sometimes. Like with Vardy "Typical Rafael..." That's just bs. Yes he is aggressive and little impatient sometimes but that's what we like and like football's played these days. He matured a lot. I think he can became legend here not matter what manager here is everyone must love this guy. He just needs to overcome his injuries. That is it.. I wouldn't swap him for Coleman.

In addition to that I think we should think of some sensible back up option for him for the seasons coming. For me Young and Valencia, both of them can leave the club and they are simply not good enough maybe as a backup this season but that we already know but this guy Varela is very similar to Rafael I really hope we don't sell him to Madrid or elsewhere, I even think he s technically better and if Rafael is out this guy can be there like nothing happen in my pinion no change of style. No Janko please. Anyway either of these guy would take a role when they play only when rafael is injured which can be quite often..we can save some salaries as well..

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We all tend to rate our own players a bit higher as we relate to them and watch them develop here.

I wouldn't even dream of saying this 3 years ago, but I'd happily have Coleman here over Rafael. His improvement and consistency over the last couple of years are just extraordinary.

surf

Rafael's defending is not good enough yet. Let's see how he does over the whole season because right now the jury is still out.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Is it not a bit weird to suggest that Coleman is only being bigged up by Irish posters when he was actually voted onto the PL team of the year last season? Was that an Irish only poll or something?

Most neutral fans would certainly rate Coleman over Rafael. Surprised people think otherwise actually.

ZDwyr

The Mitten article was good. I hope (if the rumours are true) that Rafael shows LvG that he deserves to be here. I've been impressed with him this year already, I don't hold him at fault for the Leicester match. As for the Coleman thing, I rate Coleman highly. I'd rather keep Rafael though, but if Rafael does leave then Coleman would be the man I would want to replace him.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Coleman plays for Everton. A lot of his defensive inadequacies are brushed over and ignored. With Rafael every little mistake is scrutinized and he's called out for it.

Rafael ahead of Coleman every single day of the week.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
lets see how Coleman performs in a team that is much less protected because it has to play offensive football like united..

finneh

Coleman plays for Everton. A lot of his defensive inadequacies are brushed over and ignored. With Rafael every little mistake is scrutinized and he's called out for it.

Rafael ahead of Coleman every single day of the week.
Agreed. Add this to the fact that anyone who rarely watches United (many pundits included) still think Rafael is the same player he was 5 years ago. Therefore any quasi-mistake such as against Leicester will have the same "typical rash Rafael" tag thrown at it irrespective of the irregularity of such a mistake or whether it was actually a mistake at all. These are the same pundits that were saying last season that Valencia has been one of our most consistent performers, despite him being utterly useless for 2 seasons.

To top it off Coleman has the British tag which instantly means that his good qualities are highlighted, whilst his mistakes are less scrutinised, which is providing problematic for the media as Everton have 4 British defenders and currently the worst defensive record in the League!

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
I would disagree, Rafael's defence is quite good. Sunday showed it in spades.
Agreed. I think he gets unfairly treated over his defending. Because he is an attacking fullback, many just assume he can't defend. Sure he makes mistakes here and there but every defender does, especially fullbacks who come up against quick wingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.