g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
 Rafael image 2

Rafael Brazil flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanGaalEra

Pathetic comments tbh. He got head-butted on his cheekbone and somehow that's his fault?

JoaquinJoaquin

Pathetic comments tbh. He got head-butted on his cheekbone and somehow that's his fault?
I don't think people are blaming him directly, it's just built up frustration because he is always injured, understandable really. It's at the point now where you have to say enough is enough

soapythecat

Is the Caf love in affair with this crock finally over? Good RB at best and not fancied by anyone other than rose tinted United fans. Ok, todays injury is not really his fault but he is so injury prone it's untrue. I really, really hope LvG chooses to get rid and buy a replacement sooner rather than later.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Van Gaal might have more regard for him than I thought:

"Rafael had a fresh injury so it was fantastic that he had the guts to play through. He has a fantastic mentality, it's unbelievable. But I had to change him and Shaw because they aren't 100 per cent fit.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
:lol: Didn't even realise he got injured until just now. Don't know why I'm surprised.

I would be surprised if we don't bring a RB in this January now though.

Trizy

First of all this injury isn't down to a weak body or a reoccurring injury, he got a knock ffs.

Secondly its only a fractured cheek bone, with an injection and/or one of those Zoro mask he should be able play at the weekend.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
First of all this injury isn't down to a weak body or a reoccurring injury, he got a knock ffs.

Secondly its only a fractured cheek bone, with an injection and/or one of those Zoro mask he should be able play at the weekend.
Yeah, everything you said is true, but you know what else is true? Rafael is insanely injury prone, and will never be a reliable player for us.

Trizy

Yeah, everything you said is true, but you know what else is true? Rafael is insanely injury prone, and will never be a reliable player for us.
But he's probably gonna be close to 90 minute fitness by Sunday to face Southampton, so once he adds to us beating them its fine in my books. One game at a time.

KiD MoYeS

But he's probably gonna be close to 90 minute fitness by Sunday to face Southampton, so once he adds to us beating them its fine in my books. One game at a time.
The right-back position remains an issue in our squad that will have to be rectified in the summer, think we'll get by 'til then.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
You don't hit a football with a cheek most of the time so get on with it and play.
I don't think he'll be out for long. He played on after the injury until half time, and it happened fairly early on. I think he could even play next weekend if he has it strapped up or wears a mask. If it was a severe fracture, I think he would have come off right away. I'm just guessing though.

NoLogo

Is the Caf love in affair with this crock finally over? Good RB at best and not fancied by anyone other than rose tinted United fans. Ok, todays injury is not really his fault but he is so injury prone it's untrue. I really, really hope LvG chooses to get rid and buy a replacement sooner rather than later.
I unfortunately have to agree with this. He looked like he can become a top FB but he barely can stay fit for five games in a row which also means that he most likely will never get the playing time to really fulfill his potential a bit like with Smalling and Jones unfortunately. What's the use of having talented defenders if all they will ever be are talents that never get going due to being to injury prone. I say all three of them need a good alternative that can be a starter for us and if the injury prone bunch can't compete with them then it's time to say goodbye sooner or later.

m1y2

I think he will soon be called fat and lazy bastard as some other Brazilian footballer who used to be top prospect but his career was absolutely ruined by never ending injuries. Because that is it - mediocre, liability - it's the new injured.

Credit to him that he finished the half. Feel very sorry for him, he is so unlucky. Anyway I think we should definitely look somewhere else to bring at least some cover for him and maybe even for Shaw that is why I feel we should go for someone like Clyne who can play on both flanks or maybe someone quite stupid shouldn't had acted so stupid and kept Guillermo Varela in the team as he could do the job on both flanks as well. He would have plenty of playing time now. He was good enough and so similar to Rafael. I don't see the point sending him out on loan to Castilla.. very disappointed with this decision..

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
A non-injury prone full back would have absorbed that headbutt like a heavyweight champ, and his opponent would have been stretchered off with a brain hemorrhage, and later forced to retire from the game.

But no. Rafael had to have the skull of a human being, and that's below the level we expect. He should be sold this month. But who is going to want to invest in a player with a skull that can't even take a solid midair headbutt?

We should bring in Dani Alves. He's the wrong side of 30, but I once saw him stop a moving train with his chin. He's made of better stuff than Rafael and his bones made of dog biscuits.

Gannicus

You have to feel sorry for Rafael. It's not as though he doesn't oyt in the effort. The man is just really unlucky with injuries.

KiD MoYeS

A non-injury prone full back would have absorbed that headbutt like a heavyweight champ, and his opponent would have been stretchered off with a brain hemorrhage, and later forced to retire from the game.

But no. Rafael had to have the skull of a human being, and that's below the level we expect. He should be sold this month. But who is going to want to invest in a player with a skull that can't even take a solid midair headbutt?

We should bring in Dani Alves. He's the wrong side of 30, but I once saw him stop a moving train with his chin. He's made of better stuff than Rafael and his bones made of dog biscuits.
I don't think anyone is criticizing him for his current injury, just the bigger picture.

Devil may care

Oddly enough this latest injury may be a blessing for Rafael in that it's clearly earned him a lot of respect from LvG, and I can't imagine he gives it lightly.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I said this only a few days ago, that each of our defenders can last only 4-5 games (they are all made of glass).
I never expected him to get injured after only 1 start. An impressive feat.

What really brought it home to me was when we played Stoke - those players looked like tough men. Our players looked like a bunch of models who would throw a fit if they broke a nail.
In general, we need 2-3 defenders who are physically strong and able to take a beating and get back up.
Jones, Evans, Rafael, Shaw, Smalling, Rojo - every single one of them is made of glass.
Perhaps these defenders all need to spend a week or 2 with a local Rugby team, to toughen up.

I dont blame Rafael, per se. I blame our entire back line. Rafael is just fitting in to the "I'm too injured to play a 90 minute game" culture.

Getsme

Ask him to wear that Batman mask. Why do you think footballers wear that after an injury to the face?
We have no idea what type or how serious the injury is. If it turns out not to be serious then fair enough, but taking him off was the best thing to do. However it's not always as simple as sticking a mask on his face.

Kag

It's staying on the pitch for as long as possible with a fractured cheekbone that goes a long way towards gaining respect and adoration from the fanbase. He isn't liked by many for no reason. His attitude really does embody what I consider the club to be all about. Hopefully he can wear one of those daft masks.

Acole9

Outstanding
Did well to play on for as long as he did. He looked really groggy out there.

Gopher Brown

You don't want to talk down a player you are preparing to sell.
Seriously though, who would buy a player who is constantly injured? Those of you wanting to get rid of our injury prone players need to consider this. We cannot buy from ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.