g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
 Rafael image 2

Rafael Brazil flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

m1y2

Im not even talking about Yeovil. Im talking about Cambridge United 3-0 at OT with McNair at RB for 90 mins and being voted MOTM. He also played in the league for 90 mins against Burnley when we won 3-1 at OT. His little RB run came to end with a halftime sub away to Swansea when we lost 2-1. All that time Rafael was fit and playing for the U-21s. I dont even think McNair is a RB, he should be developed as a CB or his original position as a CM IMO.
But it was the Yoevil game where Rafael started as RB, we actually played 3-5-2 that time, he did his fructure and finished half, it gave McNair a chance to impress, it was never he would start ahead of him as RB, he did well there in his next game and Rafael not fully fit after injury was played in reserves to gain fitness and that's the game you're referring to. That earned him the praise and start I was talking about. The next game against Burnley he was average but deserved to start above anybodydue to the Cambridge game and the next game he played Swansea and subbed of after half time I believe after really poor showing definitely replaced by Valencia who then picked up a good form. The point is Rafael after the injury wasn't fit to start any of the games, he underwent surgery and wasn't rushed back when McNair was on form and deserved to start at least one and a half of the game. It was an experiment for Van Gaal. Valencia since that cemented his position and Van Gaal didn't want to change the back four necessarily.

Let alone that Rafael had a similar season to Shaw who didn't paly due to injury much and spent most of the time playing as LWB which he isn't suited to or just as leftback with no winger ahead of him. Suddenly he plays as LB and and it's completely different story..

Oo0AahCantona

Love him, he's brilliant. we will end up shipping him off for peanuts to somewhere like Juve or dortmund where he will look a world beater, then bring in clyne/coleman/etc for like 30m and look like chumps.

Bojan11

Love him, he's brilliant. we will end up shipping him off for peanuts to somewhere like Juve or dortmund where he will look a world beater, then bring in clyne/coleman/etc for like 30m and look like chumps.
I bet the fecker will manage to stay fit for the whole season at his new club. That will be our luck. :lol:

Loublaze

ATLien
But it was the Yoevil game where Rafael started as RB, we actually played 3-5-2 that time, he did his fructure and finished half, it gave McNair a chance to impress, it was never he would start ahead of him as RB, he did well there in his next game and Rafael not fully fit after injury was played in reserves to gain fitness and that's the game you're referring to. That earned him the praise and start I was talking about. The next game against Burnley he was average but deserved to start above anybodydue to the Cambridge game and the next game he played Swansea and subbed of after half time I believe after really poor showing definitely replaced by Valencia who then picked up a good form. The point is Rafael after the injury wasn't fit to start any of the games, he underwent surgery and wasn't rushed back when McNair was on form and deserved to start at least one and a half of the game. It was an experiment for Van Gaal. Valencia since that cemented his position and Van Gaal didn't want to change the back four necessarily.

Let alone that Rafael had a similar season to Shaw who didn't paly due to injury much and spent most of the time playing as LWB which he isn't suited to or just as leftback with no winger ahead of him. Suddenly he plays as LB and and it's completely different story..
You're clutching at straws im afraid. Rafael was fit to play those games (Cambridge, Burnley and Swansea). Matter of fact he even played for the U-21s the night before the Cambridge game and also before Burnley.

Loublaze

ATLien
Your hate for Rafael is extremely strong.
Please. Hate is a strong word. I was one of his biggest fans when we signed both him and his brother. I was extremely upset when Moyes let Fabio leave. I thought both of them would go on to be legends at OT.

Enough is enough though. Its totally clear to me that Rafael is not destined for greatness in football. Its not his fault, i've just moved on completely and im ready for us to march on with a more reliable player

rio's upper lip

I wonder if LvG blames the Leicester defeat on him.

Though, that game seemed to change LvG's perspective on the whole squad.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Unite we Stand fanzine gossip section this month claims Giggs want him to stay and is trying to convince LVG. They claim his dropping to the bench/reserves is down to his style of play and LVG think he has too many rash moments.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Unite we Stand fanzine gossip section this month claims Giggs want him to stay and is trying to convince LVG. They claim his dropping to the bench/reserves is down to his style of play and LVG think he has too many rash moments.
I think its obvious his style doesn't suit van Gaal. He is like how Ander was at the start, all action, high tempo, just flying around everywhere. Ander said van Gaal told him to stop running around so much and he needs to learn to just stay in place at times. That's where Valencia gets the nod, you know what he is going to do.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Please. Hate is a strong word. I was one of his biggest fans when we signed both him and his brother. I was extremely upset when Moyes let Fabio leave. I thought both of them would go on to be legends at OT.

Enough is enough though. Its totally clear to me that Rafael is not destined for greatness in football. Its not his fault, i've just moved on completely and im ready for us to march on with a more reliable player
He may not be destined for greatness, but if he can clear himself of injuries then he could still be a good player. Even if it's not for us, I think he could make it in a mid-table PL side without too much difficulty.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
He has always had his rash moments and goes steaming in to a lot of tackles but apart form that when he is fully fit he is a solid RB and is also pretty good going forward. I think he is vastly underrated by a lot of people. I would like him to stay if he is happy to try and fight for his place in the side.

justboy68

I remember reading a lot of people on here saying something similar about Fabio.
I don't think he was ever as good as his brother but his career trajectory has been genuinely disappointing. There was a stretch in the latter parts of the 10/11 where he was our first choice right back and started in the champions league final for us if I recall correctly. Far cry from mediocrity at Cardiff!

I'd like to think we'd all hope for the best for Rafael if he does leave, as he's such a likeable chap and always worn his passion for our club on his sleeve. Even now he's kept quiet and got on with it despite surely being bitterly disappointed at being frozen out. I personally hope he does go on to become a world beater elsewhere (if not here obviously) just for his sake.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Darmian deal looks on the brink, and LvG appears to be a fan of Valencia, is this the end of Rafael?

His injuries were frustrating, but I loved seeing the little guy play. Total lunatic, tough, big heart, played for the shirt, and displayed great ability. His goals against QPR and Liverpool were awesome. I'll miss him if he goes.

Loco.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I think it is, he is a very good RB with alot of injures unfortunately, i will definitely miss him if he goes. :(

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Does he count as "home-grown" (I know you bought him when he was pretty young)? I can see other premiership teams being in for him if so.
I am quite sure he does. He would easily worth the risk, I reckon we'll sell him for peanuts.

caid

Pity the way the two da silvas, nani and anderson went.
Ill miss rafael the most.

bucky

As frustrating as his injuries are, I wish we would extend his contract for another year or two and loan him out to some Spanish team in need of a right-back. If he continues to be injured, sell him then. There aren't enough good right-backs out there and although we may sign Darmian, I hate to see him do well elsewhere.

diarm

I'm convinced he's going to go somewhere else and be an absolute star.

Roman Bellic

Prick
As frustrating as his injuries are, I wish we would extend his contract for another year or two and loan him out to some Spanish team in need of a right-back. If he continues to be injured, sell him then. There aren't enough good right-backs out there and although we may sign Darmian, I hate to see him do well elsewhere.
He isn't going to get any better, this would be the best time to get squeeze something out of one of those Brazilian clubs, surely it won't be hard to find a replacement for a 3rd string RB with injury problems who has done feck all in the last 2 seasons.

arthurka

He will be missed, loved his style.
Was the best RB in the league in our last Champions campaign..

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Just keep him around, would love him to stay, can't bring myself to see him playing against United.

bucky

Just keep him around, would love him to stay, can't bring myself to see him playing against United.
I always thought we should sign someone to compete with him, whilst he would sort himself out and not get rid entirely.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Always really liked him personality-wise, though sometimes I wondered if that led me to overrating him a bit.

Anyway, it had been clear for a while that he was going to be sold. Says a lot though that even LVG (who clearly didn't rate him) still praised his attitude in a big way earlier in the season.

He could go to a midtable English club and have a big impact, I think.

Robbie Boy

Think people need to accept that he's off. All the reports seem to suggest that he's been told he's surplus to requirements. It also became abundantly clear last season that LvG was never a fan / didn't rate him. His lack of game time was astonishing.

I'll be sad to see him go, but like Nani, I clearly don't rate him near as highly as some around here seem to. It's strange because the likes of Nani, Ando, Bebe etc should have went a long time ago and we all knew they would. But for Rafael, I always felt there was a chance we might get rid due to his injury problems but on the other hand, I assumed he would stay as second choice if we brought someone in.

Roman Bellic

Prick
It really doesn't matter how terrible a player is for us, when its time for them to leave - fans start to overrate the shit out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.