Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCross

For the love of God, I just can't watch Valencia bomb down the flank and then cross it to no-mans land! How many attacks have broken down sigh. Rafael would make us a lot more incisive.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
McNair is playing as RB with Valencia on the bench.

Increasingly it looks like he'll be departing in the summer, and without a chance to fight for his place either which is a pity. At least he was able to be a key player in a title winning season.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Yeah he's pretty much gone. I hate to see it as I love the little scamp and I suppose he can't stay fit for any extended period of time so It's understandable. However seeing as he's still much better than any of the options we currently have couldn't we at least still play him until the summer. I just don't get Van Gaal not rating him above Valencia and now McNair.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
So how does it work? LvG decides that he doesn't like some players and they are bench warmers until sold?

Rafael, Smalling, Herrera would be in my starting XI always when fit.

Jev

We're going to lose a lot of good players because of LVG, one of them being Rafael. He hasn't even given him a proper chance.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I would have kept Danny at the club certainly, and though his form can be erratic at times Nani would bring more to the team than does Januzaj presently.
I actually forgot about Welbeck, I would have liked to keep him too but Nani was after stagnating here, a change was best for both parties imo.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I actually forgot about Welbeck, I would have liked to keep him too but Nani was after stagnating here, a change was best for both parties imo.
Not to mention that Nani should bring more to the team right now than Januzaj. That's not really the point though. That logic would see us never bring through any youngsters.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Yeah, that seems to be the way football works.

Not every player on the bench right now will be sold any time soon, obviously.
Yeah obviously, but you can clearly see he doesn't rate some players. It's ok, he's the manager. But even when his team performs poorly and those players could actually do something about it, he still doesn't plan to use them.

This is the first time I said something like that but I honestly think they are not in his plans for the future.

On the other hand, does it mean Falcao is staying?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Not to mention that Nani should bring more to the team right now than Januzaj. That's not really the point though. That logic would see us never bring through any youngsters.
Januzaj has time on this side though, the club does not. If the choice was to have only one player of that type at OT then Nani is ahead IMO. I can however, see why a player of his individualistic temperament might not suit the United that Van Gaal has created thus far (not that i am wholly approving of this).

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
My favorite player in the current team. It would be a shame to lose him, but Van Gaal clearly doesn't rate him :(

stu_1992

Surely everyone knew he wasn't playing this game? Did he not just play on Monday for the U-21s? I's expect to see him back in the FA Cup game.

nemanja15

Surely everyone knew he wasn't playing this game? Did he not just play on Monday for the U-21s? I's expect to see him back in the FA Cup game.
This. He's played two 90 minutes for the U21s so you'd expect to have him back on Monday as you say. Sounds like LVG and the fitness coaches are building him up and being sensible about it so he can hopefully have a strong run through to the end of the season.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Absolutely gutted at what's happening to him. Have loved his progression and time at United, a player I have some much time for but it's obvious he is out the door. Such a shame, it's crazy that our best RB, can't make the squad, and a squad that needs a RB.

In my opinion, van Gaal should have let him go in January, he will play Rooney at RB before Rafael. And the scary thing is, that could be a possibility.

If he doesn't make the squad against Preston, besides the tears, I will be starting the tough goodbye.

GloryHunter07

This. He's played two 90 minutes for the U21s so you'd expect to have him back on Monday as you say. Sounds like LVG and the fitness coaches are building him up and being sensible about it so he can hopefully have a strong run through to the end of the season.
No LVG is being stubborn and not playing him because he hates Rafaels guts. Its the only possible reason.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Absolutely gutted at what's happening to him. Have loved his progression and time at United, a player I have some much time for but it's obvious he is out the door. Such a shame, it's crazy that our best RB, can't make the squad, and a squad that needs a RB.

In my opinion, van Gaal should have let him go in January, he will play Rooney at RB before Rafael. And the scary thing is, that could be a possibility.

If he doesn't make the squad against Preston, besides the tears, I will be starting the tough goodbye.
Why?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We live in hope.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
If he has no intention to play him (that will be confirmed against Preston), what is the point in depriving a player to play football. Many clubs around the world would love to have Rafael, he could very well go until next season without playing senior football.

He has McNair, Valencia and Rooney ahead of him at RB, I just don't see the logic behind it.

Truedevil

We're going to lose a lot of good players because of LVG, one of them being Rafael. He hasn't even given him a proper chance.
He has and he was fantastic up until the Leicester match where he made a mistake and he has dissappeared eversince.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Rafael played 90 for the reserves on monday, which is why he didn't play last night. Chill guys he should be back for the FA cup.

ricky-romeo

him not playing wasn't a surprise as he featured for the u-21s. i think he has completed 90 minutes twice now for the second team.

however if he is still not starting for the next fa cup tie, he is a goner. to be honest, i don't see LVG dropping valencia or mcnair for rafael at this moment which means...

CapeTownRed

If he somehow finds himself back in the first team he'll transform our season. A fit Rafael is so far ahead of our other options it's ridiculous. People forget how he can dominate a flank much the way Evra did in his pomp...

Kostur

海尔的老板
If he somehow finds himself back in the first team he'll transform our season. A fit Rafael is so far ahead of our other options it's ridiculous. People forget how he can dominate a flank much the way Evra did in his pomp...
Bolded is an oxymoron and at the same time the reason why people forget how he can dominate a flank.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Building him up from his fractured cheekbone? What, in case he...re-aggravates the injury?

Rafael was deemed fit enough to be on the bench against Cambridge at the Abbey, but has since been relegated to the U-21s. I don't think your hypothesis holds up i'm afraid, not with McNair even having supplanted a place on the bench in the interim.

If you can't depend on a player to stay fit and play regularly, what use are they? Unlucky for him, but I'd rather move on..
He actually played well after Leicester too, indeed WhoSocred have him as the MOTM in the very next fixture.

The fact remains however, that the most naturally talented attacking fullback at the club is being sadly underused, to put it kindly. For weeks on end end he is fit enough to start matches, both prior to and since Yeovil, although much like with Herrera it is proving to be quite the task.

Last edited:

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
He actually played well after Leicester too, indeed WhoSocred have him as the MOTM in the very next fixture.

The fact remains however, that the most naturally talented attacking fullback at the club is being sadly underused, to put it kindly. For weeks on end end he is fit enough to start matches, both prior to and since Yeovil, although much like with Herrera it is proving to be quite a task to realise.
Not sure if you meant to quote me as it doesn't counterract my point, I don't doubt his quality, more the worth of quality when it's always injured.

nemanja15

Building him up from his fractured cheekbone? What, in case he...re-aggravates the injury?

Rafael was deemed fit enough to be on the bench against Cambridge at the Abbey, but has since been relegated to the U-21s. I don't think your hypothesis holds up i'm afraid, not with McNair even having supplanted a place on the bench in the interim.

The fact remains however, that the most naturally talented attacking fullback at the club is being sadly underused, to put it kindly. For weeks on end end he is fit enough to start matches, both prior to and since Yeovil, although much like with Herrera it is proving to be quite the task.
That is a much a hypothesis and guesswork as my own! We don't know the status of his fitness; he may have picked up another knock pre/post Cambridge or he could just be out of favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.