g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ralf’s 4-2-2-2

Theonas

Scout
Anyone wary of how openly he discusses his tactics and reasoning for it to the media? Would this not be to the team’s detriment? He is putting it out there for every one to see, which can help our opponents prep.

I don’t pay much attention to other managers, but is this a thing? Does Pep, Klopp and Tuchel explain their tactics to the media?

For what it’s worth I would imagine these are water downed explanations and there are things kept indoors, but still I don’t see the point of discussing things much. Let the results speak for themselves, its like he is presentation mode or is still auditioning for a job.
I think Pep, Tuchel and maybe less so, Klopp do it regularly. I am sure it's much more common in Italy for example. It's just that our managers have been traditionally not ideologists with the exception of Van Gaal and I seem to remember he talked some tactics in his interviews.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
CB position seemed different. Zaha, Benteke didn’t really have any chance to work the channels (did CBs man mark them?) and the aerial balls, knock downs were very well.
I noticed that, too. I think they were just a little closer together, giving teams less space to exploit through the middle.

Teja

The shift to 4-2-2-2 is designed to make the full-backs the provision of width.
I agree with this, I think this is the big difference. By limiting the options for our attacking mids and forcing them to stay central the wing backs become essential for providing width.

And we have reasonably competent wing backs in Dalot and Telles so it works out.

By contrast, our 4-2-3-1 attempts to make both the LW/RW and the RB/LB the provision of width, which has led to our classic problem under Ole of cluttering the wide area of the field. Cluttering invites opposition players, which in turn makes for more traffic to play through...........in that tiny section of the field. It's so, so counterproductive.
I don't agree that cluttering by itself is a bad thing .. many teams try to create the overload on the flank - one striker (say in a 4-4-2 or #10 in the 4-2-3-1) drifts wide, the fullback and the winger are in the same zone and that creates a 3v2 if the CB doesn't go with the striker. Pretty standard stuff.

Obvious solution is to have an extra CM (say the RCM) out to help and have the LW, LCM cover McFred. That leaves a switch of play open to AwB and we used to take that option but he's not great on the ball, it wasn't a huge deal for opposing teams.

its incredibly different especially in possession. Full backs play almost like wing backs and we play with 2 number 10s basically. Bruno and Sancho continuously take up the half spaces and Ronny and Rashford play as out and out strikers
It was almost identical in a 4-2-3-1 where Pogba, Bruno play. Let's just evaluate the attacking phase instead of the transitions or the defence. Our attack is quite heavily lopsided to happen from the LW and typical positions are

------------------------ Cavani --- Greenwood ----------
----- Shaw -------- Pogba --------- Bruno --- AwB --
------------------------- Fred --- McT -------------------------

Greenwood, Cavani make almost a front two with AwB providing the width. Bruno covering the center / right half space, Pogba covering center / left half space.

Of course there's a lot of minor variations and movement depending on the situation.

More I think about it, the more I feel like the really major changes are taking away the attacking freedom from some of our players. Rashford, Bruno especially don't cut wide and mess around. Bruno doesn't make his penalty box runs at all, the goalscoring is left to Ronaldo / Rashford etc.

Last edited:

Abraxas

I wouldn't say it's definitely the future because ultimately a new manager is probably going to come in and have a say on this.

I think it's more about the style of play within the structure. I think RR would say so himself, the formation is less important than improving us.

I think it's partly based on pragmatism in that he's realised we don't really want Ronaldo on his own up front. Firstly because he looks better with a partner and second we want somebody close to him helping to engage the press. If we're going to get 2 up front and he doesn't like a back 5 then it's one of only a few possible options.

He probably got to this adjustment by process of elimination. A back 5 was largely bad for us. 4-4-2 diamond makes no sense because we have an abundance of attacking options and little depth in midfield. Flat 4-4-2s are not really in vogue. So really it's just a slight adjustment of the 4-2-3-1 roles and not a wholesale change but it's enough to achieve his goal.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I don't think we're going long term with 4222, it's just what's easier to implement with 1 week training I think.

Give it time we'd be exploring more complicated play.

4222 is just basic and easier to implement with everyone having a lateral person to pass to

stevoc

No real concern about a RB. Decent right back should be good for about 600 games. Phil Neal 650 games, Gary Neville a bit lightweight at 400, so shouldn't really see the backup RB and I guess the answer is AWB or Lindelof. LIndelof will probably lose his place to Varane with the undropable captain keeping the other spot. So he will have to become a utility defender to try and get a game so will need to be DM or RB as and if needed.
So Solskjaer's gone but he's still undroppable? We have a new manager now mate if he want's to drop him he will, Ralf doesn't seem like the type who would give a feck about leaving a player out.

There's another possibility that could unfold though. Call me crazy but what if Rangnick like Solskjaer thinks he's the best option we have?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Bruno's problem is he is always in final ball mode. This is probably because of his role under Ole. Once he gets used to Ralf hopefully he can make an extra/simple pass a bit more. Pogba would kill in that no. 10 role I feel if Ralf can get him to stay.
Pogba is hopeless off the ball though. Him and Ronaldo in the same team makes it hard to press. On the ball he's definitely better with dealing with others team press than Bruno and the latter has been poor almost all season too. Stylistically Pogba would have to adapt big time

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Anyone wary of how openly he discusses his tactics and reasoning for it to the media? Would this not be to the team’s detriment? He is putting it out there for every one to see, which can help our opponents prep.

I don’t pay much attention to other managers, but is this a thing? Does Pep, Klopp and Tuchel explain their tactics to the media?

For what it’s worth I would imagine these are water downed explanations and there are things kept indoors, but still I don’t see the point of discussing things much. Let the results speak for themselves, its like he is presentation mode or is still auditioning for a job.
Teams carry out video analysis these days. Everyone knows how everybody else plays. Every team we play will know hoe Rangnick sets his teams up. Its about execution and tweaks made for the game.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Bruno's problem is he is always in final ball mode. This is probably because of his role under Ole. Once he gets used to Ralf hopefully he can make an extra/simple pass a bit more. Pogba would kill in that no. 10 role I feel if Ralf can get him to stay.
Rangnick said double no.10 is the most demanding role under his system, as it requires them to press a lot, and to organize attack effectively after winning ball back. Pogba would indeed excel in the 2nd part (organize attack), but he would be totally hopeless in the first part (intense pressing).

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The only thing I worry about McFred in this new system is, although Fred, who has been brilliant in this high pressing role, they tend to loss the ball casually/unnecessarily with their poor passing, which may gifted opponents chances of counter attack, especially when we are playing with high defence line with slow Maguire as our last defender. This could be suicidal at times.

Daengophile

It seems to be a very flexible system in defence and attack.

More of the same

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Feel like we’re over analyzing the numbers a bit here. Is a 4-2-2-2 really that different from a 4-2-3-1

Both systems use Rashford’s runs in behind and in both systems the “Winger” positions almost as an attacking mid. (Remember when Pogba played in the left half space and Bruno in the right half space with Greenwood as the second forward?)

The devil is really in the details in this case. Almost have to rewatch the whole game to catch all the little details but

CB position seemed different. Zaha, Benteke didn’t really have any chance to work the channels (did CBs man mark them?) and the aerial balls, knock downs were very well.

McT and Fred seemed to time their presses/ runs very well.

The extremely obvious difference was wing back like positioning from both our fullbacks and the two CBs + two DMs allowed them to get forward more.
I think the biggest difference is, when we are doing off the ball pressing, 4222 allows us better shape to do double up or even triangle in pressing. We need to have players standing closer to each other to effectively press as a team. With 4231, the job of lone striker would be insanely difficult to cut off the passing line of 4 defenders.

Also putting extra man on the wing as in 4231 would stretch our team wider in shape, which makes it harder for us to press as a team. Normally we only need our attacking full back to provide width, with double no.10 helping out the flanks if necessary I guess.

My only Eric

Fred really impressed with his clever positioning, but it was wasted on the likes of Maguire.

Notice how their #6 is tied down by needing to close Bruno on the left flank and the other midfielder similarly needs to stay with McT where Fred created plenty of space to receive the ball, turn towards CP goal and transition into lightening attack, but Maguire is totally incapable to read any of it and slows us down with toothless horizontal pass to Lindlof, completely killing our momentum.

Horrible decision-making
Is that mctominay hiding behind an opponent and pointing?

RedCurry

Rumour is Rangnick singled out Fred and McTom in a team meeting on friday for not passing forward quickly enough and not spotting passing opportunities to the forwards. It's obviously been a problem throughout the team to be fair.
In post-match, he mentioned the couple of square passes in the first half that he didn’t like. I think he was referring to specific moments in which their square passes actually put pressure on our midfield. He was in no way saying that he doesn’t like square passing in general. Rumour mills just picked that up and likely ran away with it to make up stuff.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
This formation suits Ud's squad. 2 forwards - Ronaldo and Rashford interchanging with Cavani and Greenwood. 2 No 10s Bruno and Sancho interchanching with Pogba and Donny.

Central midfield still a bit light with only Matic, McTom and Fred. Unless Ralf intends to promote a younger player in that position I think Utd will almost certainly sign a central midfielder in January.

Shiva87

It really doesn't matter that much. Everything he said was obvious to any non coach watching the game. Any coach of a PL team already knows those things by watching this game.

Also- he is playing the media. He talks about controlling the game by being proactive. He is building a narrative so other teams feel we are pressing when we play them (even if our players jog over in a few cases).

Yesterday, Palace rushed so many passes because after our first 30 mins, they were always wary of being closed down quickly. One pass in particular around the 85th min, their midfielder had acres of space but tried a Hollywood ball to a well defended attacker because he was too rushed to assess the situation.

Speaking openly about stuff you want to do but haven't done properly yet has its benefits.

Real Name

It was obvious from the get go Sancho was playing more behind Ronaldo and Rashford wasnt hugging the byline but was near Ronaldo too. Bruno was all over the pitch as were other players. No fixed positions and no standing around for the most part like before. I like that 4-2-2-2 formation but it will need work cause yesterday we were gased after 30th minute. Also we're in a dire need of a midfielder but thats not something new.
This formation suits Sancho perfectly cause it involves him making a lot of one twos and opening, he's not really a out and out winger as in running near the line and dribbling. Also it provides help to Ronaldo who isnt doing it all by himself upfront.

Btw when is Cavani back?

UpWithRivers

Why on earth would you or we put Pogba in all these formation? The guy will be out for months and he probably would not even be here after that.

4 - 2 - 2 - 2 is the formation we have players for. We really don't have great wingers. Both Rashford and Greenwood are more like inside forwards which would suit 2 strikers system pretty well. Sancho is a bit more of inside player maker. So, a no 10 role suits him.

The issue we have is that our CMs are not exactly reliable which would always be a weakness no matter what formation we use.
Because they drop into a 4-4-2 when defending and if Rashford doesnt find form who is better on the left side? Martial? Lingard? Play Sancho in his unfavored position? All could work but I think Pogba would be much better if he's committed. The passing ability and interchange between a 3 of Pogba/Bruno/Sancho could be quite something.

stevoc

In post-match, he mentioned the couple of square passes in the first half that he didn’t like. I think he was referring to specific moments in which their square passes actually put pressure on our midfield. He was in no way saying that he doesn’t like square passing in general. Rumour mills just picked that up and likely ran away with it to make up stuff.
Quite possibly, half he team are guilty of it on a regular basis. Hoping one thing that does come out of Rangnicks time here is getting the players to move the ball quicker and take on more risky forward passes.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hate to say it but the positions that Sancho and Bruno played today look like they’d suit a certain French midfielder we have. Suppose as always it would depend on how switched on defensively he is but I can see another false dawn brewing with Pogba.
He pretty much played it identically when he played on the LW for Solskjaer already. Just depends if he can keep the work rate up.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I don't think we're going long term with 4222, it's just what's easier to implement with 1 week training I think.

4222 is just basic and easier to implement with everyone having a lateral person to pass to
Isn’t 4222 his most commonly used formation? That’s what I’ve been reading at least.

wolvored

I presume because it wasn't a helpful answer.
Yes hes answered now. Basically hes just guessing the opposite of a lot of outlets. As I said to him, I only put it out there for debate.

wolvored

Yes I watched some Liverpool highlights on youtube when it shows you all the games after they have been played and they occasionally square pass and pass back, probably nowhere near our defensive 6 did though.

Crashoutcassius

It's surely his most used formation in recent times, with Leipzig. Fits the team as Ronaldo can play up top with a partner to do extra work, and we can get two 10s into the team. To me it seems the most likely and the best option.

A-man

I have noticed that as well and I personally love when coaches explain in detail how and why they chose to do it in a certain way.
I don’t think this is a risk. The other teams will all have figured it out in their analyses anyway. But for us supporters it gives a comforting feeling to know we have a coach with a clear idea, who makes choices with a purpose.

Dan_F

Fred really impressed with his clever positioning, but it was wasted on the likes of Maguire.

Notice how their #6 is tied down by needing to close Bruno on the left flank and the other midfielder similarly needs to stay with McT where Fred created plenty of space to receive the ball, turn towards CP goal and transition into lightening attack, but Maguire is totally incapable to read any of it and slows us down with toothless horizontal pass to Lindlof, completely killing our momentum.

Horrible decision-making
He passed it to lindelof and then we scored 18 seconds later. What a horrible decision from Maguire :lol:

Borys

Statistics Wizard

That's what I think as well. It's a good idea to start with, but somehow I doubt it will be long term with us. I'd expect a narrow 4-2-3-1 with the "3" interchanging, or 3 man midfield if we can bring another midfielder in the winter. If not then 2 man midfield until the end of the season surely.

A-man

Rangnick talks about that in some interviews. When his players press high up it is key that the CBs immediately starts to mark the 1-2 forwards to shut them down and avoid counters.

dal

Pogba seems to become a better player the longer he is not playing. Bruno would be twice the player Pogba is in the number 10 role not to mention twice as hard working.

The only hole Pogba is in, is the one leading to the exit door.

MeddlLoide

Supports
Leipzig
It's formation he's used quite a lot in the past, so I'm expecting is to mix between 4-2-2-2 and 4-2-3-1 like he's done previously.
Here's a summary of his formations used at Leipzig.
This isn't true, what they call "4-2-3-1" is just Poulsen with someone who was not a striker on paper like Sabitzer who'd slot in next to him in the same 4-2-2-2. The guys on transfermarkt etc. just put it in as 4-2-3-1 for some reason. If anything I'd expect a 4-3-1-2.

sparx99

I am quite pleased that lots of people were complaining about our so-called 4-2-4 and now we are kind of lined up in a 4-2-4 but now we are calling it 4-2-2-2.

Just shows formations and the way they are written down don't matter but positioning, tactics, and the team working together are much more important.

romufc

4-2-2-2 is his preferred formation, he played that alot at Leipzig.

Also are you saying 4-2-2-2 is easy to implement with 1 training session? Its actually one of the harder formations to implement.

Having 2 CAM's, having to have them defend, tracking the full back, having 2 up front making sure the midfield is not over run?

4-2-3-1 would be the easiest to implement because the team already plays it.