View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Depends how much you value being in the CL this year really.

If, hypothetically, we could have signed a younger DM who saw us miss out on CL last year but left us in a better position from this season on then that would arguably have been a better transfer.

Players aren't worth that money for one season. If Casemiro doesn't recover his form and we only get that one high quality season from him then he will go down as a poor signing. That was always the risk, regardless of short term impact.
Yup. People always freak out in the immediate season and can't see the bigger picture, at all. .

If the difference in Hojlund vs Kane (ignoring money) is possible CL qualification this year but over the next 3 years a decline for Kane while Hojlund turning into a top CF, then it's an easy choice for Hojlund.

The reality is that literally 99% of the time, it is the better option to go for a younger player rather than signing a player above the age of 28. That 1% is if your team is "1 player away", just missing the final piece of the puzzle, and you think that spending big on an old player will get you to step up to challenge for trophies. Like Kane for Bayern, like Van Persie for us, even though at only 1 season, that's also questionable.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He's getting into position to get chances, and putting them on target. Goals will come.

Not like he missed any howlers yesterday. Rashford's two 'chances' both would have likely been goals if the pass was better.

Really is the least of our problems at the moment.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yup. People always freak out in the immediate season and can't see the bigger picture, at all. .

If the difference in Hojlund vs Kane (ignoring money) is possible CL qualification this year but over the next 3 years a decline for Kane while Hojlund turning into a top CF, then it's an easy choice for Hojlund.

The reality is that literally 99% of the time, it is the better option to go for a younger player rather than signing a player above the age of 28. That 1% is if your team is "1 player away", just missing the final piece of the puzzle, and you think that spending big on an old player will get you to step up to challenge for trophies. Like Kane for Bayern, like Van Persie for us, even though at only 1 season, that's also questionable.
I agree in general but i do think that top striker was a final piece of puzzle to challenge for title in next two years. And midfielder but that (decision to buy Mount) is another story.

I know this is huge huge what if scenario but imo, with Kane in this team we would be much closer to the top this season.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The reality for a lot of ETH signings, Malacia, Antony, Hojlund all find the PL,

No we should have bought an elite striker like Ivan Toney and not wasted £85m on Antony when Sancho, Amad and Pellistri were all at the club.
You mean the Ivan Toney that's banned from playing?

Dannn411

Really good signing who is suffering at the hands of the utter dreck behind him. Once we get Bruno, Rashford and Antony the hell out and replace them with consistent players, he will explode. I just hope he doesn't lose his energy and enthusiasm before that happens.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I agree in general but i do think that top striker was a final piece of puzzle to challenge for title in next two years. And midfielder but that (decision to buy Mount) is another story.

I know this is huge huge what if scenario but imo, with Kane in this team we would be much closer to the top this season.
There is no doubt we'd be closer to the top with Kane, but from the way things transpired he was never coming here in the first place and the club seemed to know that, so they moved on and it's time our fans do the same

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Honestly, don't mean to be blunt but thinking our team was a top CF away from a title challenge is fully delusional... We aren't close to that. We have to develop our deep buildup, our progression, our wing play, our general tactics, we have to sort out our off the field issues and distractions.... There is a lot in our team that just does not function at a high level. Harry Kane up top wouldn't have sorted any of that out. Yes he'd have scored a few more and papered over some cracks, but it wouldn't actually have us close to the top. It doesn't make sense to spend big on a cf when the whole club is a disaster and we can't outplay a single opponent in the Prem.

Gazautd18

Has been unlucky in the league.
On another day could have had a hatrick yesterday.
Proved he can score from his exploits in Europe and for his international side so I'm not too worried.
Would be more concerned if he wasn't getting the chances.
Great option for holding the ball up as well if he had decent runners going past him..

GueRed

I thought he played quite well last night

He probably would've got his goal had he stayed on.

madzo2007

Thought he has played pretty well since he joined. He's a nearly man at the minute, as in nearly getting a touch to knock it in, or goals as offside or keepers making good saves. It'll click soon.

L1nk

There is a time and place for every transfer. That is where Dof steps up (in other clubs). With some transfers you look short term and with some you look at long term. When you already have good striker in team then you can buy someone like Hojlund. But if you don't have a first choice striker and your biggest issue are striker's goals then you go and buy proven striker.
We are not Brighton, club whos season does not depend on CL football and trophies.

Yes, in a long term Hojlund will be good because his potential is huge but in a short term he wasn't a right choice. Which our results and his contribution are showing so far.

Regarding Casemiro; we didn't had any dmc in team. We went for older but proven one. Result is that we are playing CL this year and have one more trophy in a cabinet. That is prime example of good short term transfer.
You believe the results and the way we are playing would be any different if we had Harry Kane? Rasmus scored 2 (almost 3) great goals against Galatasary and yet we still lost 3-2 because the rest of the team were garbage. Yesterdays result may be the same, hell maybe we’d have scored an extra goal, but having Harry Kane yesterday wouldn’t have changed the fact we made Sheffield look actually good, they dominated us but somehow if we didn’t have Rasmus we’d be playing like prime United.

Hojlund has actually been the least of our problems, actually i’d say he’s been one of our shining lights so far in what otherwise has been a very poor start to the season. But no of course, its all on him.

Perhaps if we want him to score more the team should actually look to feed him? Only Rashford so far seems to make any attempt and the rest of the team including Bruno looks dog, constantly giving the ball away. Top strikers feed on multiple chances a game, including Haaland, because they miss more than they score, Hojlund has to feed on 1-2 chances a game and he’s expected to not miss a single one because the team have been that gash in getting him chances, that’s not fair on him in the slightest

ti vu

Happy with him but We are using him wrong. He works best when playing against a high block...ie big teams, but against low blocks, I think he hasn't yet matured enough to know when to come short or run in behind. I think we should be playing martial against low blocks like Shefield United or Brentford etc purely because he is more mature ie knows when to come short or to run in behind (We can of course bring Rasmus on as a sub) and then play Rasmus against high block teams.

What is the purpose of different skillsets in this huge squad that we don't use when playing opposition who are weak against the specific skillset? Rasmus isn't yet mature enough to be our one-stop answer for all types of games
Definitely not Martial. Also Martial doesn't know to properly stay inside the box trying poach a goal like Hojlund.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Happy with him but We are using him wrong. He works best when playing against a high block...ie big teams, but against low blocks, I think he hasn't yet matured enough to know when to come short or run in behind. I think we should be playing martial against low blocks like Shefield United or Brentford etc purely because he is more mature ie knows when to come short or to run in behind (We can of course bring Rasmus on as a sub) and then play Rasmus against high block teams.

What is the purpose of different skillsets in this huge squad that we don't use when playing opposition who are weak against the specific skillset? Rasmus isn't yet mature enough to be our one-stop answer for all types of games
Hehe. Good one.

ForeverRed1

Wingers are supposed to hand strikers goals on a plate. This isn’t happening at United. You watch how many haaland goals he is handed that are difficult to miss and you understand why he gets so many goals. Ronaldo, how many of his goals have been handed to him? That’s how it is supposed to work.

hojlund has rashford who is notorious for being selfish and wanting to score and Antony who can’t use his right foot, playing on the right, so by the time he gets into the position to put the ball in, he has to switch to his best foot, breaking up play.

He should have more goals and he shouldn’t have to work so hard for them. He’s grafting and doing his side of the bargain right but we need a real assist king on the wings to support him.

AndySmith1990

Think he actually looks like a decent player. It's unfortunate for him and for us that Rashford and Antony are the two wingers. He's already playing at a disadvantage with those two brain dead ball hoggers in the team

Real Name

He scored goals, offers pace and physicality and right now has a huge chip on his shoulder and a massive point to prove, when he’s scoring 20 goals for Arsenal or Chelsea next season and maybe 10-12 for the second half of this one, then tell me he’s not a huge upgrade on what we currently have, stop living in the past, Lewandowski, G Ramos, Haaland, Kane, Osimhen all turned us down we now have to operate at the tier below and then turn them into Elite?
So you're speaking about things which didnt happen and things which might or might not happen in the furute.

Sounds legit.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
If we're going to stick with him long term which might not be wrong decision considering his potential we'd need to completely revamp how our wingers play.

blazinRe'D'

He's getting into position to get chances, and putting them on target. Goals will come.

Not like he missed any howlers yesterday. Rashford's two 'chances' both would have likely been goals if the pass was better.

Really is the least of our problems at the moment.
:lol:

I get the criticism of Rashford this season, but its stuff like this that make it seem like an agenda.

Definitely believe Hojlund has the potential but needs to finish some of these chances.

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
:lol:

I get the criticism of Rashford this season, but its stuff like this that make it seem like an agenda.

Definitely believe Hojlund has the potential but needs to finish some of these chances.
I like Rashford, and support him staying in the team, as you can see from posts in that thread.
But the second one in particular - after Rashford is gifted the ball with Hojlond open, alone in the box is a terrible pass, much less for a pro. It means Hojlond has to wait for the ball (as it was too slow) not get into a position to shoot (as it was behind him) and couldn't take advantage of the keeper being out of position (because it was played in the wrong direction).

Maybe on hte first one Hojlond should have anticipated a bit better, but also don't think Rashford has to leather it quite that hard.

Anyway, just my 2c.

RuudTom83

Wingers are supposed to hand strikers goals on a plate. This isn’t happening at United. You watch how many haaland goals he is handed that are difficult to miss and you understand why he gets so many goals. Ronaldo, how many of his goals have been handed to him? That’s how it is supposed to work.

hojlund has rashford who is notorious for being selfish and wanting to score and Antony who can’t use his right foot, playing on the right, so by the time he gets into the position to put the ball in, he has to switch to his best foot, breaking up play.

He should have more goals and he shouldn’t have to work so hard for them. He’s grafting and doing his side of the bargain right but we need a real assist king on the wings to support him.
I agree, but I would add, on top of the forward line not working from the wide areas, the CF happens to be a 20 year old kid still learning the game.

It's a complete work in progress frontline at the moment.

Without blaming everyone we will just have to be patient, albeit sceptical that a trio of Rashford/Hojlund/Antony can work long term.

Dragam

I like Rashford, and support him staying in the team, as you can see from posts in that thread.
But the second one in particular - after Rashford is gifted the ball with Hojlond open, alone in the box is a terrible pass, much less for a pro. It means Hojlond has to wait for the ball (as it was too slow) not get into a position to shoot (as it was behind him) and couldn't take advantage of the keeper being out of position (because it was played in the wrong direction).

Maybe on hte first one Hojlond should have anticipated a bit better, but also don't think Rashford has to leather it quite that hard.

Anyway, just my 2c.
Agree entirely with that analysis - none of the chances were super easy 100% chances like alot of people try to make them out to be, for the reasons you mentioned.

Doracle

Anyway, just my 2c.
I disagree with that analysis. The criticism of the first chance (assuming it’s the excellent first time left footed volleyed cross we are talking about) just makes no sense at all. Rashford did exactly what we’d expect and Højlund was, possibly, a little slow reacting.

As for the one where Rashford intercepts, you have to watch Hojlund’s movement. He should peel away to the right into space which would open up the pass into his stride so he could then hit it with his left. Instead he, oddly, moves sideways towards Rashford and closer to the defender. It completely cuts out the pass into space and Rashford has to check his pass to accommodate where Højlund is standing. He then compounds that error by shooting when the pass back to Rashford is the far better option.

That’s not to have a go at Hojlund at all who I think is doing really well for a player with such little experience. It’s purely a response to the suggestion Rashford was somehow at fault for those chances not working out better.

Last edited:

Redstain

The problem is those quotes don't reflect back on the player they reflect back on the manager. The manager is the one who gives the team a directive on what to do. There's vast interviews with Henry speaking about what Pep expected of him when he moved to Barcelona playing on the left. I'd imagine that Eth is not reluctant to straighten this out because Rashford returned 30+ g/a last season. While I think the issue is definitely personnel it's also coaching.

Man Utd 1:0 FC Copenhagen

laughtersassassin

Played fantastic compared to the rest. Was heavily involved in almost all the chances we made.

No one made him any chances though which is a big problem because I'd trust him to score more than anyone else.

Think it was a big mistake taking him off as 1-0 is a dangerous lead.

MetoTTT

Excellent again. Said it before, this lad could be great here. He'll start to score soon if we kind of get sorted our midfield. Great vibes.