Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Rash

Why has he said no to Juve though?

If they're getting Mason and we're getting Hojlund, Atlanta are getting the better footballer. It's really a shame how things have turned out for Greenwood and United.
Even though the source seems questionable, if true it would make sense.

Juventus are a bigger club and Mason would be more in the spotlight plus at Atlanta he would have less competition to face to get him back to fitness and form.

From United perspective we probably want to send him on loan for a year where he will get substantial game time and then hold off the big decision till next summer. Depending on form and crowd reaction we can either offer him a second chance or sell on at that point.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
If this guy had the chance to join United i'd be dead certain that he chooses United regardless, his social media activity, interviews, and reports from people like Romano basically confirm that he's desperate to join
Oh for sure, I'm just not sure it's the wise choice, that's all.
Who is he coming here to compete with?
A guy like Weghorst was able to get so much game time, don't think there's much chance that Hojlund won't. We're somehow in a position where we don't have an actual CF.
If we sign no one else he'll be competing with Rashford and whoever can push Rashford from a wide position to striker. We might decide Garnacho, Bruno, Antony and Rashford are our strongest front four, who knows.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
His performance vs Lazio looks good, proper striker.

His game with back to goal is good, agile for player of his size and decent dribbling skills too.

That is a really good performance, a one man attack at times. Quite obvious why we like him.

Teja

Oh for sure, I'm just not sure it's the wise choice, that's all.

If we sign no one else he'll be competing with Rashford and whoever can push Rashford from a wide position to striker. We might decide Garnacho, Bruno, Antony and Rashford are our strongest front four, who knows.
But that was the case with WW too. His biggest risk is a fit Martial and don't think that's on the bingo card this season.

bosskeano

may not be valid that he will be there tomorrow but typically hwere there's smoke there is fire.....

crossy1686

career ending

If they're getting Mason and we're getting Hojlund, Atlanta are getting the better footballer. It's really a shame how things have turned out for Greenwood and United.
First team football? He'll start at Atalanta for sure. Maybe less focus on him also, he'll be in the paper every week at Juventus.

beergod

The goal he scores shows why he would be good for us. A striker that bursts a gut to get into the box is exactly what we have been missing.
His all round play also is quite good, but what I have noticed about him most is that he has good movement in the box and he is always getting into the 6 yard box when he should
He would score a ton of goals just due to his willingness to get to the 6 yard box instead of queueing up on the penalty spot for a cutback like seemingly every other attacker we have.

His control of his body with his back to the defender is impressive for his age and experience, he's constantly adjusting and trying to put the defender into an increasingly worse position instead of just pressing through after an initial advantage with just pace/power.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Why would Atalanta reach an agreement with Greenwood? It would only be a loan. Sure United would know that he is ok with going to Atalanta and he/his family/agent may have spoken to Atalanta management.
But it’s United and Atalanta who need to reach an agreement with each other in terms of valuation/fee and covering his wages.

pascell

Why would Atalanta reach an agreement with Greenwood? It would only be a loan. Sure United would know that he is ok with going to Atalanta and he/his family/agent may have spoken to Atalanta management.
But it’s United and Atalanta who need to reach an agreement with each other in terms of valuation/fee and covering his wages.
Are you sure it's Atalanta he's joining?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Are you sure it's Atalanta he's joining?
That’s what the tweet said that he had reached an agreement with Atalanta which I find weird (as it’s primarily United who need an agreement with Atalanta if the loan indeed happens).

Strats

Fake news. That Tweet refers to an Atalanta aggregator, and that aggregator is claiming this as their exclusive news. No one in Italy's reported on this.

EDIT: Here's the aggregator Tweet in question
If i'm not wrong, the speculations have been about a loan and not a full sale?

Edit: Never mind. Just noticed that its been discussed in previous posts.

istripador

That says including add-ons which probably has a Balon d'Or clause or something included. I seriously doubt the up front fee is anywhere close to that. Vitor Roque also has 7 goals and 2 assists in just over 900 mins so far this season and is 2 years younger than Hojlund. The Brazilian league might not be as good as Serie A but it's still produced many top talents over the years including most recently Vinicius and Rodrygo. I haven't seen anyone suggesting £30m tops for Hojlund, most are saying £50m.
you ever watched Brazilian football?
the league is called serie A.

skc_18

Mason was the most exciting youngster to come out of the Ole era. He chose his actions though so he must pay the consequences of those actions. The thing is, he and his GF are expecting so I don't know what to think. A loan in another league is the right move I guess. Let him recover and see where he stands. My opinion is the ultimate decision should come from his peers and not any owner of the club, whoever that may be next year.
I feel people here are overestimating the public abuse with Greenwood. Looks like couple are back together since long time and also expecting a baby.
Unless she is in a intimidated relationship with him , their happy family pictures in the media would swing in Greenwood's favor to a great extent.

Bojan Djordjic

I feel people here are overestimating the public abuse with Greenwood. Looks like couple are back together since long time and also expecting a baby.
Unless she is in a intimidated relationship with him , their happy family pictures in the media would swing in Greenwood's favor to a great extent.
Everyone has heard of women that have gone back to their abusers. That doesn't mean their partners are not abusers or that everyone else should tolerate the abusive pr*cks. We either have a "no dickhead policy" or we don't. This wasn't a youthful moment of madness: Greenwood was violent to a vulnerable person and there should be grave consequences for any player at the club that has brought the club into such disrepute.

Let him have the second chance that people feel so passionately he deserves at another club and let United be strong on its values and show that that kind of behaviour behaviour isn't condoned. We all had a go at the Liverpool players who defended Suarez over the racist incident but by keeping Greenwood, we'd be putting our own players in the awkward position of having to unite around someone who committed a horrible assault on a young woman or by putting a guy back in the dressing room that will rightly have disgusted many of his teammates. Neither is good for the club.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
You're making a big assumption that he could replicate that in a different league and a team that plays a different style, I'm not saying he couldn't but it's certainly a bigger risk when one is costing probably 3x as much as the other
RH is also playing in a different league, and you are paying more b/c one is a finished product while the other isn't.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Well we differ on that one. For the price touted I’d question Osimhen fit at United. And while I was onboard couple of years ago having seen more of him and ETH style I stand by it.
Didn't ETH win the Eredivisie twice with Haller as his main striker?

Bojan Djordjic

Didn't ETH win the Eredivisie twice with Haller as his main striker?
You're right but in fairness, United are not as possession dominant as that Ajax team and based on our signings, I'm not sure that's what EtH is aiming for. Therefore, it'd make sense that we sign a forward that has the qualities for counter-attacking football given we have Licha, Shaw, Bruno and Mount (and possibly Onana) all capable of springing counters from deep. Not that I don't think Osimhen would also be an amazing counter attacking option - more that the Haller archetype wouldn't necessarily suit this United team.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
RH is also playing in a different league, and you are paying more b/c one is a finished product while the other isn't.
Yeah and one is a 140 million gamble on high wages vs a 50 million gamble on lower wages

noelyman

Everyone has heard of women that have gone back to their abusers. That doesn't mean their partners are not abusers or that everyone else should tolerate the abusive pr*cks. We either have a "no dickhead policy" or we don't. This wasn't a youthful moment of madness: Greenwood was violent to a vulnerable person and there should be grave consequences for any player at the club that has brought the club into such disrepute.

Let him have the second chance that people feel so passionately he deserves at another club and let United be strong on its values and show that that kind of behaviour behaviour isn't condoned. We all had a go at the Liverpool players who defended Suarez over the racist incident but by keeping Greenwood, we'd be putting our own players in the awkward position of having to unite around someone who committed a horrible assault on a young woman or by putting a guy back in the dressing room that will rightly have disgusted many of his teammates. Neither is good for the club.
My issue with this and all the other zero tolerance stances is some of our greatest former players (whose names are still sung famously at Old Trafford week in week out) have had a history of domestic violence for years as adults, but it's a young kid who everyone is keen to cancel because we live in a cancelling culture. Why are all arguments nowadays so black and white with no middle ground? A "no dickhead policy" Ha ha. Since when? I'd say a vast majority of footballers come under the dickhead category for many reasons. The club and indeed society has a range of ways we can react to this including warning as to future conduct and or giving him a second chance and not all have to be 'burn him' 'he should never play for this club again" "never play football again etc."

I don't know what the club will decide to do but I find it quite sad that everyone is so willing to get the pitchforks out. My own stepfather was abusive to my mother, he was a troubled man who sought help for his demons and turned his life around. I hope this loan for Mason works out, I hope he and his family can move past this incident and get his life together and fans can allow him to do so without the continued public flogging.

Mr Smith

I'm sorry but I think you are being extrodinarily naive. Even if everything is fine behind the scenes and Mason has been completely rehabilitated, you can't unhear that recording. This will follow him for a long time yet, and there are some that might argue it should, no matter what the couple's circumstances are now. The court of public opinion is harsh at the best of times, but in a football stadium and the media, when they have the moral high ground? I don't think it's going to be pretty.

Hal9000

Maybe true, but the guys not played for 18 months. Plus it'll be good for him to go away, get his head down and maybe he'll come back, or least rebuild his career somewhere else.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
My issue with this and all the other zero tolerance stances is some of our greatest former players (whose names are still sung famously at Old Trafford week in week out) have had a history of domestic violence for years as adults, but it's a young kid who everyone is keen to cancel because we live in a cancelling culture. Why are all arguments nowadays so black and white with no middle ground? A "no dickhead policy" Ha ha. Since when? I'd say a vast majority of footballers come under the dickhead category for many reasons. The club and indeed society has a range of ways we can react to this including warning as to future conduct and or giving him a second chance and not all have to be 'burn him' 'he should never play for this club again" "never play football again etc."

I don't know what the club will decide to do but I find it quite sad that everyone is so willing to get the pitchforks out. My own stepfather was abusive to my mother, he was a troubled man who sought help for his demons and turned his life around. I hope this loan for Mason works out, I hope he and his family can move past this incident and get his life together and fans can allow him to do so without the continued public flogging.
You're damn right, Jesus got cancelled!

OverratedOpinion

You're right but in fairness, United are not as possession dominant as that Ajax team and based on our signings, I'm not sure that's what EtH is aiming for. Therefore, it'd make sense that we sign a forward that has the qualities for counter-attacking football given we have Licha, Shaw, Bruno and Mount (and possibly Onana) all capable of springing counters from deep. Not that I don't think Osimhen would also be an amazing counter attacking option - more that the Haller archetype wouldn't necessarily suit this United team.
I don't think we are looking to play mainly on the counter but if we were you could absolutely play counter attacking football with a striker like Giroud for instance. (I won't use Haller as I don't know his game very well).

A striker who can occupy the last couple of defenders with his back to them and then spring the wingers/midfielders running in behind.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
With the additions of Martinez, hopefully Onana and Mount it seems we are looking to do both. Possession play but with purpose and speed. Only issue is RB, if we had a right back who was great on the ball the back 5 would be superb at moving the ball and Casmeiro’s sometimes sloppy passing but great DM work would compliment each other perfectly l.

Teja

Yeah the choice of striker is going to be a pretty big clue as to what he's thinking long term. Right now, we love our attacking transitions and putting Rashford in behind on transition is one of our biggest threats. When facing a settled defence, we're pretty shit in general. This was true under Ole and it's still true now.

Casemiro's passing is a great weapon on transitions but his radar is not accurate enough for a possession team and he's too good a player to ask him to keep it simple. Same with Bruno. Antony is the opposite - he retains possession in difficult situations, has good decision making but doesn't seem to have that attitude where he takes risks and wings it.

It seems like we want a traditional #9 - physical, good with link up, drags players around with his pace and power. We don't seem to want a pure poacher like Haaland or a technical link up player like Firmino. Maybe the dearth of these types of players plays into it too.

He seems like he's going for some sort of hybrid approach - play the ugly transition game against big sides and yet retain the technical quality to bypass most average sides?

Devil You Know

With the additions of Martinez, hopefully Onana and Mount it seems we are looking to do both. Possession play but with purpose and speed. Only issue is RB, if we had a right back who was great on the ball the back 5 would be superb at moving the ball and Casmeiro’s sometimes sloppy passing but great DM work would compliment each other perfectly l.
I think we'll play with AWB the same way City play with Walker. Neither RB is particularly good on the ball. But they are world class in their own way at 1 v 1 defending. Both can be used in a possession based side quite easily.

Out of possession it'd look something like this:

Then in possession it'd be:

Whenever we start to push up the pitch, AWB would slip into a back 3 where he can utilise his strengths, whereas Shaw will become more of a press-resistant passing option in midfield.

Last edited:

Newtonius

I think we'll play with AWB the same way City play with Walker. Neither RB is particularly good on the ball. But they are world class in their own way at 1 v 1 defending. Both can be used in a possession based side quite easily.

Out of possession it'd look something like this:

Then in possession it'd be:

Whenever we start to push up the pitch, AWB would slip into a back 3 where he can utilise his strengths, whereas Shaw will become more of a press-resistant passing option in midfield.
Looks like a pretty tasty team on paper, although personally i hope to see more of Amad instead of Antony, unless the latter actually starts outputting some consistent end product the RW is going to continue to be a weakness. Particularly with AWB.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Honestly, you will never find that working at any club. Take this further -- why not then apply this at the workplace? Who decides who a 'dickhead' is? How do you define a dickhead?
You have a 360 vote -- and then sack the dickhead(s)?

If people are being honest, we put too much faith in the players -- they are only very successful humans who inevitability will let it get to their heads. Thats why you would think the 'no dickheads' rule would be ridiculous for your workplace. The reason is that it's real life.

You may see them as sporting heroes. But thats on you -- and not them.

These guys or professional athletes will cheat on their wives/partners, and girlfriends; gamble, drink excessively or be downright untruthful. You can't help it -- most of us will be tempted if we are put into that position of elevated status in society. I can guarantee you that -- you would do the same thing.

The reality is that as fans we don't want to see the bad side of them -- maybe because we elevate them to such an unrealistic level -- until it's too late. We need our 'heroes'.

Thats on us.

This is also the reason why there has been such a heated debate on the Takeover Thread -- the Club and its managers/players have been elevated to a status where they represent you. It's a projection of who you think you are. An external identifier. And nobody likes to be associated with a hero who is a dickhead.

Thats why we have this cancel culture @noelyman

One is trying to create a perfect surrounding/life when its just not possible.

But as you mature in life, you will realise that you define yourself and not these external identifiers. Be more introspective. And in turn, you become more tolerant of the fallibilities of others -- especially of someone so young.

So a 'no dickhead policy' is naive and would not work at a football club or even at work.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
People need to realize the only strikers in this market who could guarantee us 20-30 goals a season are Kane and Osimhen (or even Mbappe, but then he is wing forward) and there are nearly zero chance we could get any of those, as they are either way too expensive or very much unattainable to us.

Then the next in line we could get are probably the followings:

Ramos - 80-100m (young and good goalscorer with good awareness in front of goals, does look very promising after his hat trick in WC, but his overall game does look rather average to me, I am not sure what he really stands out, or is he even suit to play in PL at all)

Muani - 80m (young wide/center forward with good goals+assist stats who likes to dribble/cut inside, looks most exciting player out of this lot, but his game maybe abit too similar to what we have already got there, and may not be what we lack/need for a CF)

Hojlund - 60m? (young and pacy center forward who looks quite talented for his age and his overall game does look like what ETG want in CF for his team, but his goalscoring stats looks rather decent only at top level, but to be fair it’s mostly due to his very young age)

Taremi - 20m (cheapest option out there who is quite a proven goalscorer in Portugal league, and has scored a few in CL last season too, but he has probably reached his peak as he is entering his early 30s, which means we are buying him as short term solution rather than building for future. Also no idea if he could adapt/step up for PL at this age)

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
People need to realize the only strikers in this market who could guarantee us 20-30 goals a season are Kane and Osimhen, and there are nearly zero chance we could get any of those, as they are either way too expensive or very much unattainable to us.

Then the next in line we could get are probably the followings:

Ramos - 80-100m (young and good goalscorer with good awareness in front of goals, does look very promising after his hat trick in WC, but his overall game does look rather average to me, I am not sure what he really stands out, or is he even suit to play in PL at all)

Muani - 80m (young wide/center forward with good goals+assist stats who likes to dribble/cut inside, looks most exciting player out of this lot, but his game maybe abit too similar to what we have already got there, and may not be what we lack/need for a CF)

Hojlund - 60m? (young and pacy center forward who looks quite talented for his age and his overall game does look like what ETG want in CF for his team, but his goalscoring stats looks rather decent only at top level, but to be fair it’s mostly due to his very young age)

Taremi - 20m (cheapest option out there who is quite a proven goalscorer in Portugal league, and has scored a few in CL last season too, but he has probably reached his peak as he is entering his early 30s, which means we are buying him as short term solution rather than building for future. Also no idea if he could adapt/step up for PL at this age)
How much would you price Mason Greenwood? (We may sell him in 12 months time.)

Status
Not open for further replies.