Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinostar77

Hey, anyone who watches these videos has to know that they are a bit of fun for those who have not really watched a player.

We saw Neves many many times in the prem. He’s a very good player and would have done fine for us, regardless of the “videos”. That he’s going to Saudi is as much about what they’re paying him as anything else. In the past Wolves didn’t really want to sell him unless they got silly money.
They are completely stats based, so probably as accurate as they can be when looking at stats only.

mu4c_20le

Overpaying for this kid feels like a mistake when Ferguson will probably have a great season and move to a big club next year.

AnotherLondonManc

Overpaying for this kid feels like a mistake when Ferguson will probably have a great season and move to a big club next year.
Therein lies the risk. If Ferguson has a great season, Brighton may demand upwards of £80m for him. If Ferguson flops and Hojland has a great season, we're back in for the same player at twice the cost.

What a kerfuffle

MinGin

No need of hindsight, Rooney was a monster 18 year old, he even had a great Euro 04 and everyone knew he was not just very good young player, he was already very good player.
But 18 year old Rooney will not sell for 60-70m in this era, his price tag would be same as Mbappe price tag.
His transfer fee was 37M euros in 04" which was second highest transfer fee in 2004.

Crimson King

He'd cost double what Højlund would now, and likely more than that next summer if he does have a great season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They could also be the same level prospect or Hojlund can be a better prospect. Currently Ferguson seems to have more of an eye for goal while Hojlund seems to have a lot more to his game. Ferguson has PL tax making him twice as expensive if he even is allowed to leave in the next couple of season, so it's kind of irrelevant.

Zed 101

Haven't read everything before me, but anyone offer that maybe PSG leak is Qatar giving the Glazer's a not so polite jab in the ribs?

Red_toad

PSG have to resolve MBappe issue before they move for another striker. There’s no way in hell they can spend 100 million on anyone at this point in time. They already admitted they’d need to sell other players if MBappe leaves on a free, which is very likely as he‘ll get the transfer fee instead of PSG and they’re very much in trouble despite their claims they will sell him this summer. I’d say it’s leaks coming from Italy that are trying to ramp up the fee and force United‘s hand.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
They could also be the same level prospect or Hojlund can be a better prospect. Currently Ferguson seems to have more of an eye for goal while Hojlund seems to have a lot more to his game. Ferguson has PL tax making him twice as expensive if he even is allowed to leave in the next couple of season, so it's kind of irrelevant.
Ferguson has also just signed a new contract, they could ask for £100M-120M, easily.

Bojan Djordjic

Rooney actually was not as much more proven than Højlund at the time as you make it sound. There is some hindsight bias here.

He came from Everton who were battling relegation in his last season. He scored the same number of goals as Højlund in the league - 9 (and actually it is funny that much of the thread here is people not being impressed by his goalscoring record). Rooney never played in CL. Yes, he scored 4 at Euros (all against relatively weaker teams though) and he played in PL - but he was more risk at the time as it seems now after the fact.

and while we are at it - what has Muani „proven“ much more than Højlund? He has a grand total of 2 goals in European club competitions and 1 international goal in his career, plus one good season a team who finished 7th in Bundesliga (Weghorst had 3 seasons outscoring Muani‘s last season in a similarly ranked team in Bundesliga). he would be almost the same risk as Højlund I‘d say.

Of course, goals/team league and position is far from everything. But I do not understand arguing that Højlund is much more risky than Rooney in 2004 or Muani in 2023.Riskier, yes - but is it much more risky? And saying that he „has not proved anything“ compared to them? Would not say so. And you are literally dismissing him based on simply age („child“) and appearance in your post, come on.
He was racking up his similar numbers at 16 & 17 and by the time he broke through at 16, everybody in football knew of him. He was bursting grown men at that age too and humiliating defenders. Totally disingenuous to make out that Rooney, a genuine contender for one of the best teenagers of all time, is at all comparable talent wise to Hojlund.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Only real disappointment here is that it hasn't already happened, odd that we prioritized Mount, Onana I understand with De Gea leaving but it was apparent early on that Kane & Osi weren't realistic, think it would have helped us and him a lot, especially as a younger player if he could have had pre season with us. Seems pointless to do now until we come back as I doubt we fly him out now but hope we do get it done ASAP just in the knowledge it's the position secured.

Tiber

I get that he has bags of talent, but he hasn't scored all that many goals so far.

Feels more like the player you sign when you already have 30 year old Kane leading the line. Or atleast its the sort of thing Madrid would do safe in the knowledge that we would we buy the 31 year old from them for big money in 12 months time.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I get that he has bags of talent, but he hasn't scored all that many goals so far.

Feels more like the player you sign when you already have 30 year old Kane leading the line. Or atleast its the sort of thing Madrid would do safe in the knowledge that we would we buy the 31 year old from them for big money in 12 months time.
Yeah iirc I think EtH mentioned wanting an experienced striker and another….but that won’t happen, not with the budgetary constraints and the lack of genuine quality CF options in the market. We can’t afford Kane & Osimhen & the other 2 we’re strongly linked with (Kolo Muani & Ramos) will go for higher fees, seemingly. Another factor is trying to move Martial on. Lack of takers due to his high wages & appalling injury record.

croadyman

Guess it was only a matter of time before someone actually tried to claim Rooney wasn't miles ahead of Hojlund at this stage. How about instead of just looking at goal stats, we actually watch video footage of the 2 at the time. Rooney's all-round ability was phenomenal, moreso than his goalscoring record. He was obviously going to be a superstar. He could dribble, pass, press and score. He was an all-round incredible talent.

I'd say Muani is similarly more well-rounded than Hojlund despite not necessarily being the clinical goalscorer we'd ideally want. If you want to stick with stats he got 11 assists to go with his 13 goals and in general he's just a more technically impressive player at this time imo. Not sure I'd trust either of them to sort our goalscoring problems but in the absence of many other options I think Muani is closer to the level we'd want.

I do think that one of the reasons we might be prioritising Hojlund is that we're still hoping to get Kane at the end of his contract next year and Muani is probably too good to be 2nd choice in that sort of scenario, whereas Hojlund is younger and raw and could maybe gradually take over from Kane if he develops correctly.
Yeah you could well have a point on that

Syphon Wallet

Brighton wouldn't even bat an eyelid for bids under 80m at this point, people are not understanding the market when they say, oh why don't we just get Ferguson, Kane or Osimhen instead.

Redcy

Brighton would want at least 80m, they don’t need the money, and they can’t afford to let players filo cheap. Ferguson isn’t any less of a risk than hojlund. Muani and Ramos would be similar prices too.

Dannn411

Hey, anyone who watches these videos has to know that they are a bit of fun for those who have not really watched a player.

We saw Neves many many times in the prem. He’s a very good player and would have done fine for us, regardless of the “videos”. That he’s going to Saudi is as much about what they’re paying him as anything else. In the past Wolves didn’t really want to sell him unless they got silly money.
Spot on. Because no European club signed him does not make him an overrated player at all. It's wholly to do with what Wolves were demanding and with what the Saudis are paying him. He would have done perfectly fine for us and any other big club. He's a very good midfielder.

colombianmancunian

We should go for Kane and for Højlund. But those with those leeches we are on a tight budget. If we were owned by Qatar or even Sir Jim we would have this two wrapped.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's got that striker hunch in the 6-yard box. Something you can't teach.

Sign him.

Strelok

Liverpool and Chelsea where awful last season. I dont see that happening this season.
Chelsea will stay shit this season. What a mess there. Spurs won't make it even with Kane. Imo top 4 fight is between us, arsenal, city, newcastle and maybe liverpool. So imo even without a new #9 we shouldn't have much issue securing a top 4. But of course it'd be much better if we could.

Some might think Hojlund is a difference between us getting a top 4 or not but it's actually not the case imo. He's not that good yet and we're not that weak either.

Bondi77

I reckon this PSG stuff is bollocks
Definitely.
The media can only get so much out of a story when one club is involved so this is a normal progression that other clubs will be joining "the race"

nainaisson

Out of interest, do tifo ever give a negative review of players in these types of videos? They always seem to put a positive spin on everything and everyone.
No, because they're there to earn ad revenue, not inform people. Objectivity risks alienating people.

Bojan Djordjic

Haha...let them away if that's what it takes. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

If we gave 50 mill for Martial 8 years ago, then 60 mill for Højlund is not that crazy.
Again, Martial was a much bigger prospect than Hojlund is. He was playing high level football at 16 and scoring at high rates since he was 17. Much more of a "sure thing" than Hojlund and look how that turned out.

I absolutely think Hojlund would be a good buy but only at the right price. There are older less fashionable players that will likely get as many goals as Hojlund can give us this season and while ideally you want players that can reach a higher ceiling, at the daft prices being quoted now, it makes more sense to go for yet another interim until the budget is there for an Osimhen or whomever develops into that calibre player this season.

Bojan Djordjic

Can't really see the details on Atalanta's matches but his team has scored over 30 goals in its last three games of that 30+ he's scored two.They won 10-0 today and he got an assist but no goals. Ademola Lookman scored six in those three games.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Haha...let them away if that's what it takes. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Again, Martial was a much bigger prospect than Hojlund is. He was playing high level football at 16 and scoring at high rates since he was 17. Much more of a "sure thing" than Hojlund and look how that turned out.

I absolutely think Hojlund would be a good buy but only at the right price. There are older less fashionable players that will likely get as many goals as Hojlund can give us this season and while ideally you want players that can reach a higher ceiling, at the daft prices being quoted now, it makes more sense to go for yet another interim until the budget is there for an Osimhen or whomever develops into that calibre player this season.
Martial has only played in France and his best season was 12 goals in 48 games prior to joining us. How is this higher level than Hojlund who has scored similar no. of goals in Serie A, and has better goals tally last season?

Bojan Djordjic

Martial has only played in France and his best season was 12 goals in 48 games prior to joining us. How is this higher level than Hojlund who has scored similar no. of goals in Serie A, and has better goals tally last season?
At 18, martial had the same goals and assists per minute as Hojlund did at 20. He was also impressing in the Champions League.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If Hojlund is off the table then I think we are left with the following choices:

1. Kolo Muani or Vlahovic but i'm sure their clubs will try to take advantage of our desperation and demand high fees for both.

2. We put off the CF chase for another window, divert the funds to get a high quality DM like Caicedo or someone else, and go again next year when Kane could potentially be available and some of the younger lesser known CFs develop further and make themselves known. Liverpool and Manchester City have dominated without out and out CFs before. It can be done with a strong team spine and base and an attacking mindset from all our players.
We 100% need a ST for ETH. He’s not klopp or Guardiola. His system needs a strong ST. We seen Haller become one of the best scorers in Europe under him at Ajax.

Marwood

We 100% need a ST for ETH. He’s not klopp or Guardiola. His system needs a strong ST. We seen Haller become one of the best scorers in Europe under him at Ajax.
Best scorers in Holland.

ETH needs top quality upfront. You can't get away with a Haller in the Prem.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
At 18, martial had the same goals and assists per minute as Hojlund did at 20. He was also impressing in the Champions League.
Comparing 18 and 20 year olds in 2 completely different situations is a bit naive.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
What if it’s the other way round?

Again, people keep insisting we need proven goal scorers without giving options.

Last edited:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Best scorers in Holland.

ETH needs top quality upfront. You can't get away with a Haller in the Prem.
Ye obviously but it was just an example. Plus wasn’t Haller one of the top scorers in the CL that season aswell?

eire-red

Guess it was only a matter of time before someone actually tried to claim Rooney wasn't miles ahead of Hojlund at this stage. How about instead of just looking at goal stats, we actually watch video footage of the 2 at the time. Rooney's all-round ability was phenomenal, moreso than his goalscoring record. He was obviously going to be a superstar. He could dribble, pass, press and score. He was an all-round incredible talent.

I'd say Muani is similarly more well-rounded than Hojlund despite not necessarily being the clinical goalscorer we'd ideally want. If you want to stick with stats he got 11 assists to go with his 13 goals and in general he's just a more technically impressive player at this time imo. Not sure I'd trust either of them to sort our goalscoring problems but in the absence of many other options I think Muani is closer to the level we'd want.

I do think that one of the reasons we might be prioritising Hojlund is that we're still hoping to get Kane at the end of his contract next year and Muani is probably too good to be 2nd choice in that sort of scenario, whereas Hojlund is younger and raw and could maybe gradually take over from Kane if he develops correctly.
Some of the takes are bonkers on here. In terms of talent and influence, Rooney as a teenager is up there with Messi, R9, Owen etc...

Rooney as an 18 year old would be £150m easily in the current market, and would be worth that fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.