Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Steve

I’m prepared for the potential scenario of early Rooney where there’s some very bright spots amongst an overall transitionary performance with him this coming season. Rooney could go from scoring an amazing goal from an amazing performance one game followed by three games of being on the periphery.

He wants to join us and I don’t think he views us as some stepping stone to something else like Mbappe or Haaland would, or even Ronaldo did lets be honest. I think he’ll be here long haul.

And he’s only just fresh out of being a teenager. He’s not like 25-26 where this is all we’re going to get going forward.

But really who knows how it’s actually going to go down if he came here. He could hit the ground Bruno style and we could be laughing about it a year from now.

Doracle

Same. PL is step up, if he scores around 8-12 goals in his first season it is fine. He brings more than just goals.
I assume we are talking league goals here, as that would be fairly poor for all comps? Even on that basis, if he will be starting most games as CF, I’d have thought he needs to be better than 1 in 5 games, even first season.

Obviously, the position changes if he is coming in as back up.

Judas

Open to offers
I’m prepared for the potential scenario of early Rooney where there’s some very bright spots amongst an overall transitionary performance with him this coming season. Rooney could go from scoring an amazing goal from an amazing performance one game followed by three games of being on the periphery.

He wants to join us and I don’t think he views us as some stepping stone to something else like Mbappe or Haaland would, or even Ronaldo did lets be honest. I think he’ll be here long haul.

And he’s only just fresh out of being a teenager. He’s not like 25-26 where this is all we’re going to get going forward.

But really who knows how it’s actually going to go down if he came here. He could hit the ground Bruno style and we could be laughing about it a year from now.
Why is Rooney even being mentioned? They’re not on the same planet. It’s weird to even bring him up, I just don’t get it.

nav_10

Am I missing something? He looks pretty good in that video?
I'm with you. Honestly, I've watched them vids twice over and whilst he isn't ball glued to feet technical brilliance, he's more on the technically sound side than poor. He needs polishing, there is no doubt but, technically poor?! Nah not for me.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Watched all of his touches from most big games he's played. I think it's you who has only watched his "best skillz and goalz".

Watch his performances here and tell me honestly that you think he’s ready to lead the line for United:

Wait do you see this compilation as a criticism? :lol:
That to me shows a very good performance by a 19 year old away to Juventus. What are you expecting? He's holding it up well, providing a focal point, providing great runs, a threat every time he gets it, involved in big chances, competing physically with a defender on his back and in the air... I don't think you understand how difficult it is to do that at that age and how rare those qualities are.

strandty

What's the source for that? It's a straight choice between sell now and lose for free next summer. We can negotiate with Kane from January.
We can only negotiate with him from June. The six month rule only applies to teams playing outside of the country of the team that the player represents.

Abraxas

It's getting to silly numbers. I worry from what I've seen of him. Kane is an infinitely better option if there's any way we can get him for 80-90m.
There's a big word in there. If. It's not happening. We're not getting Kane for 80 million. I don't know what planet a few are on that they simply cannot grasp that Kane isn't available to us within our current means. It was looked at, explored, done and dusted so why keep on about something that's a moot point...

Doracle

Rooney was a force of nature and one of the best players of all time for age 19-20. If you are expecting Hojlund to perform at that level this season, I think you are likely to be disappointed. Best case I think (and this is still very good) is that he’s like Lukaku in his first season at Everton - a good raw striker who can score goals.

Chairman Steve

Why is Rooney even being mentioned? They’re not on the same planet. It’s weird to even bring him up, I just don’t get it.
I was talking about the general performance levels and what to expect rather than overall playing talent and ability if that’s what you’re getting at. Players under 21 can’t be expected to be consistent generally, regardless whether they’re the most naturally talented player around like Rooney.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

I will be happy with a scrappy goal contribution every few games and some basic hold up play. His overall game is nowhere near top talents that he's being compared to in this thread. We're ofering crazy money only because of the lack of alternatives, and it's a huge risk we're taking.

Idxomer

It's interesting how people can watch the same videos and reach different conclusions.

I'm kinda with @MUFC OK here. He puts himself around, but his game under pressure has looked unreliable in most of his compilations. There is some good stuff there, but nothing makes me believe he's worth the money being reported.

Jeffthered

Get him in and see how it goes. Manchester United are a massive club and we should pursue good talented players - sometimes they work, sometimes not but we should not refrain from being positive about our pursuit of a player. I know little about him, don't have the time to watch loads and loads of football, but what I have seen, he seems decent, focused and is a No 9.. we need someone to provide this focal point to our attacking play.. if he's genuinely dangerous and works hard then he will open the game up for rashford, bruno, eriksen, mount etc.. hopefully score a few himself. Let's not put pressure on him, step by step eh.. let's try and sign him first! because Martial is rubbish and we haven't anyone else to play No 9 (Rashford scored 30 from his preferred role, so why disrupt that..)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Wait do you see this compilation as a criticism? :lol:
That to me shows a very good performance by a 19 year old away to Juventus. What are you expecting? He's holding it up well, providing a focal point, providing great runs, a threat every time he gets it, involved in big chances, competing physically with a defender on his back and in the air... I don't think you understand how difficult it is to do that at that age and how rare those qualities are.
It's difficult at all ages but that compilation actually shows something that I noticed and made me think that he was a handful, he is fouled on nearly all 50-50 and even then defenders don't actually dominate him physically.

Red_Aaron

Was about to post the same. Good physicality, nice touches, think he even assited a goal....
Me too!
I watched it and thought how strong he looked with his back to goal and great to see him competing for headers (which no one does for us with any enthusiasm) Got a decent eye for a pass too

cyberman

]
It's interesting how people can watch the same videos and reach different conclusions.

I'm kinda with @MUFC OK here. He puts himself around, but his game under pressure has looked unreliable in most of his compilations. There is some good stuff there, but nothing makes me believe he's worth the money being reported.
The moral of the story is to not be kidding players by complications.
If he were as clunky as that they the attacking play would fall away around him. The fact he’s the focal point in a team that scores so many goals should quieten down some fears

Chairman Steve

Compiliation videos for players are a quite limited view on a player in my opinion. I remember back in very early YouTube days when it started that someone made a compiliation for Pascal Cygan to prove the point even the shittest players can look good with TV feed camera angles and some selective editing

gajender

Can we buy him with the Elanga and McT money
I don't think United are relying on Sales for Striker acquisition .
Midfielder , Goalkeeper and Striker were the key positions We were likely to address irrespective of any Outgoings and must have been budgeted for , any further additions would be based on Who Leaves and how much We bring in through sales.

Rake

The Juventus video posted above is a weird one to use as bad performance, even if it was included as one of many.

That being said, if I remember correctly, at least from the videos available on Youtube, that is the best he has done against top opposition.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I refuse to believe we're actually buying a young CF to go into the first team. Feels like it's been forever since that happened. Expect something to break down, and for us to check the filter for '33 or older with <1 year on contract' filters in FM.

lex talionis

There's a big word in there. If. It's not happening. We're not getting Kane for 80 million. I don't know what planet a few are on that they simply cannot grasp that Kane isn't available to us within our current means. It was looked at, explored, done and dusted so why keep on about something that's a moot point...
In life, a lot things seem impossible but then come to pass. It’s not that hard to see Levy accepting the check for 100m on the last day of the transfer window. Maybe he won’t, but maybe he will. Even if we bring in Hojlund for 50m, if Kane is there to be had on September 1 we have to pull that trigger, but if he is not then we roll the dice with Hojlund as our sole striker.

bosnian_red

It's difficult at all ages but that compilation actually shows something that I noticed and made me think that he was a handful, he is fouled on nearly all 50-50 and even then defenders don't actually dominate him physically.
Yup. There are other games in that thread where his touch was off, things didn't work out etc, looked clumsy etc but like... He just turned 20. As a hold up play type of CF where he puts a lot of focus in his technical level. He's not just a battering ram, run in behind CF. He posts up on the CB and becomes a focal point along with providing the technical qualities and pace in behind. Criticizing a player at 19/now 20 for not doing it consistently is absolutely insane. Hell, look at Garnacho. The guy is among the bottom of the league in terms of plenty of passing stats and how often he loses the ball.. nobody cares (rightly so) because he's 18! He's still seen as an elite prospect. It's the same with Hojlund. You focus on the positive qualities he brings, and when things don't go well ask is it a lack of ability or just a young player thing. Pretty clear it's a young player thing with him.

Makes good runs and isn't afraid of physical duels, trusts himself technically too. He'll be a rotation player to start with for sure, he is young and raw. But the potential is huge.

Tarrou

Watched all of his touches from most big games he's played. I think it's you who has only watched his "best skillz and goalz".

Watch his performances here and tell me honestly that you think he’s ready to lead the line for United:

he looks exactly the sort of striker ETH wants to me

positioning and hold up player are good, strong as feck, and with ability to run in behind too

I don’t think he’s ready to be first choice but I doubt anyone at the club does either… we’ll phase him in slowly

Jacob

Quite excited by the fact that he is tall, fast and strong. Lazy comparison with Haaland is appropriate.

mu4c_20le

Doesn't look that strong to me, certainly doesn't hold up the ball as well as Wout. He needs space to run into, and in that video it looks like Bremer can keep up with him.

zaafi

Doesn't look that strong to me, certainly doesn't hold up the ball as well as Wout. He needs space to run into, and in that video it looks like Bremer can keep up with him.
I'm curious as to who you think look strong. He's not Haaland strong, but for a 20 year old striker he sure holds his ground very well against experienced, strong defenders. He also gets fouled from behind when the defenders literally shove their arms into him. Even Haaland would fall there.

And his hold-up play is very good for a 20 year old.

I'm not sure why people are expecting an established striker who's the finished article.

Billy Jim

He looks pretty good in the Juve compilation to me. Proper number 9 play that we didn't see in the team basically all of last season.

bosnian_red

He's 19 in those videos. 99% of young footballers take time to learn their bodies and how to make the most of them. Haaland and Lukaku are literally the only 2 exceptions that did it early, and hence they broke out early. Ibrahimovic, dzeko, Cavani, Lewandowski etc .. all took much longer to start putting it all together, consistently. They showed flashes like Hojlund does now.

Abraxas

In life, a lot things seem impossible but then come to pass. It’s not that hard to see Levy accepting the check for 100m on the last day of the transfer window. Maybe he won’t, but maybe he will. Even if we bring in Hojlund for 50m, if Kane is there to be had on September 1 we have to pull that trigger, but if he is not then we roll the dice with Hojlund as our sole striker.
I appreciate the philosophy but it's probably a little more cut and dry than that when we have FFP figures to adhere to. It's not just whether they feel like signing off cheques. Signing Hojlund and then ETH seems to want an additional midfielder is likely to put us outside the parameters of what is possible in this window in terms of Kane. I think we're already outside them but for some reason a subsection of our fans refuse to believe it.

Bojan Djordjic

I’d be very excited with him joining but I do have massive reservations about that price. The fees touted have already gone from €55mn to €70mn plus addons. If money is not an issue, just give Napoli the €120mn for Osimhen as I’d be certain he would bag plenty of goals.

L1nk

Imagine it might get done for 55mill euro's plus bonuses then. That's actually not too bad when converted to pounds

Crimson King

I’d be very excited with him joining but I do have massive reservations. The fees touted have already gone from €55mn to €70mn plus addons. If money is not an issue, just give Napoli the €120mn for Osimhen as I’d be certain he would bag plenty of goals.
Money is an issue though, €50m difference is basically another player we could sign.

Chief123

Oh dear. You actually chose this video to illustrate how he’s not ready to lead the line. If that’s him playing bad then he’s absolutely ready.

L1nk

I’d be very excited with him joining but I do have massive reservations. The fees touted have already gone from €55mn to €70mn plus addons. If money is not an issue, just give Napoli the €120mn for Osimhen as I’d be certain he would bag plenty of goals.
Well it is an issue, for starters they've already said they'd want 150+ and secondly the reason we are targetting the likes of Hojlund is because we are low on funds. We will be paying 70mill euro's AND bonuses on top of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.