Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It was a little overpriced but I think its unavoidable under the current market, especially when striker options is very limited.

But from what I've seen, I think he has all the qualities to develop into top class forward here, - strong, fast, good technique, good movement towards goals, and good finishing at his age, good pressing, and seems can work well with wing forward. So I'd its well worth it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
For this fee I actually would have preferred Ramos or Kolo Muani, lets hope ETH has got this one right
Ramos is quoted at 100m, so he is clearly out of our range.

You may say so with Muani though, he is priced at around 80m, costing abit more. But don't you think he is too similar to Rashford type of wing forward? We clearly need a no.9 more than anything else.

SmithLogic

In ETH I trust. He wants the lad. I want the lad. None of his incomings have disappointed so far. Might need a season. But I’d rather a hungry, energetic, young and happy lad over martial stinking up the place for another season.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Add his wages, bonuses, agent fee and dealing with Dan Levy as well rat bastard :lol::rolleyes:
Yeh realistically, I think it would rather be 150m more, considering all the wage, bonus, agent fee, and English tax.

justboy68

Can't remember many signings that have such a 'make or break' pressure riding on them, whether he knows it or not. It feels like if he hits the ground running and his potential takes off we could have a great season, otherwise if he struggles we could be in big, big trouble for goals. Good luck kid!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
For a CF acceleration that matters the most. From what I have seen he is good.
He appears to be quick, has good physical presence due to his frame, good with back to goal, solid movement, works tirelessly and drops deep to link up pretty well.

Based on the clips I’ve seen he seems very well rounded especially for such a tall striker. It’s more about how he translates to the top league in the world and what’s he’s exceptional at (as good doesn’t cut it at the elite level) / how effective he is at goal scoring.

All I hope is that in the first season he shows clear potential. Then all the sensible fans will be patient with him as he’s only a kid.

With him, Antony, Mount and Bruno - it will take coaching to do it collectively - but we’ve got the potential for a team that could suffocate teams effectively. Amrabat at would only enhance that.

amolbhatia50k

Can't remember many signings that have such a 'make or break' pressure riding on them, whether he knows it or not. It feels like if he hits the ground running and his potential takes off we could have a great season, otherwise if he struggles we could be in big, big trouble for goals. Good luck kid!
I would hope fans don’t see it this way. That’s what adds to the pressure and writing off early. Hopefully we’ll spread the goals between him, Bruno, Rashford and Antony / Sancho stepping up.

Witchking

Glad we got him. He really seems to be an united fan which can only make him work more hard to not fail at his club.

I have the confidence in Eth's ability to get the best out of him.

Don't care about the fee, also very possible that he might not hit the ground running access will probably go 4-5 games without scoring.

That is when this place will go mad with "told you so"

He is 20. Has a great future if he works hard.

Plastic Evra

Secondary point: those who don’t like the signing; which striker do you suggest? I’ll assume silence but am all ears
Out of the ones available now without any speculation what United coulda shoulda done earlier in the window : David at LOSC and Wahi at MHSC may have been had at lower fees ?
Dembélé at FC Barca supposedly has a release clause of 50m€ (though it's said to expire soon).

I'm not arguing they're obviously better propositions or guarantees. I'm sure people would find to say something about them too.

I think the Hojlund fee is a little over my (completely arbitrary) preference but there's not much else to say or do until we see him on the pitch.

Huddsred

Comparisons to Haaland are lazy as he's just a goal pig whereas there is so much more to Hojlund's game. As for Osimhen, nobody is going to pay what Napoli are demanding.

I'm excited about this signing as he really wants to join us and genuinely has the potential to become one of the best players in the world.

Stig

It will be nice to see someone not in the twilight of their career coming in to lead the line.

amolbhatia50k

It will be nice to see someone not in the twilight of their career coming in to lead the line.
We haven’t signed a not-an-old-fart striker since 2017! For a team that can’t score goals that’s absolutely incredible.

justboy68

I would hope fans don’t see it this way. That’s what adds to the pressure and writing off early. Hopefully we’ll spread the goals between him, Bruno, Rashford and Antony / Sancho stepping up.
It's definitely not ideal but I think in some sense it will be true no matter what way we like to see it, unless Sancho and Antony suddenly vastly increase their output. Or if MG is really coming back.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Reminds me a lot of a young Fernando Torres at Atletico Madrid pre Liverpool, the pace, technique and drive

Plastic Evra

I'd also say the striker market could have a second wave in that window. If Kane moves out of Spurs and Mbappé finds a suitable suitor for a compromise you suddenly have two clubs with some spending power looking to nab some of the still available options and kick-starting a domino reaction of moves. Would have been riskier for United to hold out on the gamble you'll get an interesting deal late however. Caf would meltdown.

Eddy_JukeZ

Reminds me a lot of a young Fernando Torres at Atletico Madrid pre Liverpool, the pace, technique and drive
Not sure I see that. I think Torres had more grace/fluidity in his game.

I honestly think Hojlund's traits are most similar to Haaland's.

Eddy_JukeZ

Funny the talk about a young Rooney. Newsflash: there is no current young Rooney on the market

secondary point: those who don’t like the signing; which striker do you suggest? I’ll assume silence but am all ears
Ironically, Rooney would be the perfect fit for this squad from our past legends.

And for the 2nd point, there really was no surefire bet since Kane wasn't getting sold to us.

I think Hojlund will be a great signing. I think Ferguson might have a higher ceiling(we could always go for him in the future anyways), but Hojlund will be very good if he continues developing.

L1nk

It was worth it if true and his transfer was achievable. Was no punt, guaranteed 20 goals a season minimum. Should have invested Mount's money in him in that case. But I think most probably we hit the Levy wall of big No to PL rivals otherwise I don't believe United are that stupid not to go for him all out.
You sound like Woodward. Putting all our summer budget and 500+k a week for a 30 year old player thus saddling us with a massive financial burden for the potential of winning something in the immediate short term without investing in other areas of the squad in dire need of it? Sounds horrendous. I’m glad the club has seen sense and invested in the potential future of this club instead, where we hope to challenge every year with a consistant and young team instead of throwing what we can at whoever to hope we can make something stick in the next 2-3 seasons or bust

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Best of luck to this player (of whom I know little) and to Eric and his backroom staff. New season approaching. Let’s not pile too much pressure on this youthful striker’s shoulders. But all adds up to a decent transfer window and an exciting season in prospect. Looks like a few more exits will see our business done.

The Red Thinker

He may not be the finished article but he has some really impressive attributes that will really help us:

- back to goal with great hold up play
- natural counter threat with lightning pace
- instinctual mover in the box
- 6’3 and built like a brick sh*thouse means he’s the man to take Onana’s vertical passes cutting oppo presses

This alone will help us so so much.

Yakuza_devils

This is the acid test for our new scouting department? It has been over a decade since we signed an up and coming player before they turned into world class player. We used to do that all the time under SAF.

For the last decade we are doing the opposite. Sign world class player to be flop in united.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The fee is agreed... but it's verbally agreed via a WeChat call when Atlanta's person in charge was travelling in China so they had to use a VPN and John Murtough used a voice filter to make him sound more like Richard Arnold.

pawanraj

I’m not angry, I’m underwhelmed and concerned about Utd’s only 2 outfield signings this Summer.

When players are immediately divisive upon signing, you know there’s a strong element of risk with them.

I’ll be completely blunt - given where the squad is right now, I think blowing £120m on Mount and Højlund is fecking batshit and borderline idiotic, that’s what I honestly think.

Onana REALLY excites me and I think is a great transfer!
Every signing is a risk, though. Just recently, everyone was excited about Sancho... It's been lukewarm. Maguire's quality was not in doubt but he was good all of two seasons... Pogba, Lukaku... I don't think many were concerned about them... We know how that went.

The prices are what they are. But let's wait and watch.

Personally, I think Mount will be a revelation (if he can stay fit). I haven't watch Hojlund at all but I'm just going to trust Ten Hag. In fact, Onana is the one that I'm concerned about in terms of risk vs reward...

But given we generally have overpaid (even during Ferguson era) and general inflation in transfer fees, I'm not too concerned about prices.

For the first time in a decade there appears to be a cohesive transfer strategy based on how we want to play, rather than a Galactico style money spunking strategy which excites me!

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Every signing is a risk, though. Just recently, everyone was excited about Sancho... It's been lukewarm. Maguire's quality was not in doubt but he was good all of two seasons... Pogba, Lukaku... I don't think many were concerned about them... We know how that went.

The prices are what they are. But let's wait and watch.

Personally, I think Mount will be a revelation (if he can stay fit). I haven't watch Hojlund at all but I'm just going to trust Ten Hag. In fact, Onana is the one that I'm concerned about in terms of risk vs reward...

But given we generally have overpaid (even during Ferguson era) and general inflation in transfer fees, I'm not too concerned about prices.

For the first time in a decade there appears to be a cohesive transfer strategy based on how we want to play, rather than a Galactico style money spunking strategy which excites me!
Onana concerns me the least as he’s just come from a CL final and I think he has the maturity, intelligence and mindset to adapt well and then dominate.

All 3 of them seem to have a great mindset and that’s great work by ETH. They all seem like they’re really up for it.

Devil You Know

Yeah. Personally love what I've seen of Hojlund as a prospect, think his profile of player is the ideal fit for us and a very rare one in general. Big, fast, strong technique, bases his game off of being a focal point with his hold up play and pinning defenders but can also run the channels, has some very nice ball striking ability, defensive work rate... There is a ton to work with. If you are trying to build a lone CF and picking raw tools, he has them all.

He was always my #3 choice after Osimhen and Kane, and even then I had concerns about them that didn't really apply to Hojlund. Kane with his age, fee & wages being a huge risk for the impending cliff, injury history, lack of pace meaning we'd still rely on Rashford for a cutting edge, short termism when we are not ready for a title challenge yet anyway IMO. Minor concern with Osimhen being style, more of a run in behind striker but doesn't bring others into play much so it could just not mesh with Rashford, injury history, obscene cost, but he'd undoubtedly be a very good striker. Hojlund in a way is very well rounded and with his hold up play where I think he and Rashford could work well together but also he provides his own threat in behind with his pace so we aren't one dimensional towards that left wing. He's young but not that far off so I think he could make the step up in time when we need him to when as a team we are also ready to make the step up. Injury history clean, for now. Investing so much money is only worth it if you get a long term contribution out of him which we will from him.

So while immediate year or 2 might not be perfect, I have huge hopes long term for it and it absolutely wouldn't surprise me if we're looking back on this in a few years thinking we made a great choice going for him over even Osimhen or Kane, let alone the others.
LvG never should have sold Welbeck.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I’m not angry, I’m underwhelmed and concerned about Utd’s only 2 outfield signings this Summer.

When players are immediately divisive upon signing, you know there’s a strong element of risk with them.

I’ll be completely blunt - given where the squad is right now, I think blowing £120m on Mount and Højlund is fecking batshit and borderline idiotic, that’s what I honestly think.

Onana REALLY excites me and I think is a great transfer!
Makes me feel better thinking that after Osimhen and Kane, there isn't any striker out there who I would have preferred to go for over Hojlund. Says more about the striker market tbf, and yes it's a huge price and overpriced, but every striker is overpriced, and I'd have rather pay too much for a CF than not get one in at all. And he's importantly the right type of CF and has huge potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.