Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROFLUTION

I couldn’t give a monkies how individuals do, the collective is all that matters, and I find it bizarre so many care so much, like with the case of Antony.
We finished 6th, on 58 points in 2021/22 and needed big changes. Those changes, which included Antony, got us silverware, 3rd place & 75 points, our best total since 2018.
If Antony, Højlund or Mount don’t pull up trees but we go deep in the CL, improve our football, take mid 80’s points in the league and win more silverware, why would anyone question ETH?
Stop focusing so much on individuals.
Couldnt agree more. Just look if there’s overall progress and stop moaning. The Antony moaning is way over the top too. But no doubt we’ll see this with Højlund too.

It’s like people forget how low we’ve been in so many areas and that this project takes both money and time. We think highly about Ten Hag, but he should get at least 2-3 seasons more imo. That’s where many of these players will get to their best.

JuriM

Couldnt agree more. Just look if there’s overall progress and stop moaning. The Antony moaning is way over the top too. But no doubt we’ll see this with Højlund too.
They already are, and wanted Mbappe instead.

Tarrou

Maybe something to do with people getting extremely tired of the relentless moaning and negativity from a certain section of the fans on here.

And before you come at me with that "dIfFeRiNg OpInIoN" garbage, that's clearly not what anyone is referring to.
the funny thing on this one is pretty much everyone has the same opinion anyway, that we overpaid for a talent

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
The joy unconfined in the Caf at our new signings would bring a tear to the eye. Good luck to this lad. I hope he does great. Looking forward to new season now. There might even be another fresh face (or two) in the squad. Bravo

RedOrange

If he turns out to be good can we use this thread to identify a list of posters to hit with the banning stick ;)
People are allowed to be wrong, or have unpopular opinions. That's not the problem. Posting literally anything involving a modicum of effort, e.g. thoughts about tactics, some player tendency analysis, statistical analysis, to make an argument for why a signing or player might not work out would be well received by most people, even if they disagree with the conclusion, because it's a basis for interesting discussion.

What really ruins Redcafe threads are clinically depressed, terminally online posters who are so miserable and cynical that they can't help but moan about anything and everything that ever happens. We get endless pages of relentlessly negative low effort drivel that isn't even informed by the very thread it's posted in.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Smalling was always one of the most physically dominant defenders in the PL as well. From memory Vardy said something almost identical about him, and he used to always dominate Kane as well.

The defenders in England are generally more physical dominant than in Italy so Hojlund will have to get used to that, but his comments on Smalling aren't a particularly bad sign in that regard.
And just to add to your post, The FA had to apologise after tweeting a joke about Chris Smalling having Harry Kane in his pocket. Which was a tweet that was deemed to have mocked Harry Kane, hence it was deleted.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...clubs-for-harry-kane-and-chris-smalling-tweet

Last edited:

croadyman

The joy unconfined in the Caf at our new signings would bring a tear to the eye. Good luck to this lad. I hope he does great. Looking forward to new season now. There might even be another fresh face (or two) in the squad. Bravo
Just Amrabat IF we can sell of course

Dread Devil

I have to admit I knew nothing about Rasmus before the start of this thread…I have watched a few videos, some better than others.

In the ones where he played well I was very impressed with his energy, his two footedness. His left is obviously preferred but he can pass and shoot with his right quite well.

He is big, fast and works for the team. He presses like Wout but I think his finishing is of a much higher standard…

Some of the videos showed some loose touches and in others he was brushed off the ball by defenders, which is a little worrying.

Overall, given he is twenty, and growing I think he could be a great buy and can see how he will fit into the team.

I am sure he will learn from all of his team mates, coaches and manager and could work out to be a revelation.

I just hope that fact he is a Man Utd fan doesn’t put even more pressure on his young shoulders…he will want it so much that he may try too hard.

I think the fans really need to get behind him and help him through the initial period to help him through this.

Last edited:

klayton88

Top speed doesn't mean much what's important it's acceleration.
Antony has good acceleration but it falls off fast. Even if he had the trickery to go past a guy on his right foot I don't think he would skin anyone for pace.

TsuWave

After Cavani, Falcao, Lukaku and Zlatan, I for one am happy we got Hojlund instead of Kane. Can’t wait to see him in action - always love the buzz of a young talent breaking through at United.
I agree with the overall sentiment of your post. I just think Lukaku gets a worse rep than he should - and keep in mind I'm one of the people that wanted him gone early (I didn't think he was good enough on the ball), but Lukaku's goalscoring record for United wasn't atrocious. Looking at transfermarkt - he seemingly scored 42 in 96 appearances for us - that's really not bad - and had 13 assists as well. That's more than 1 goal involvement every two games. He just wasn't suited for the type of football we were trying to play, as we wanted to raise the technical floor of the team.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Top speed doesn't mean much what's important it's acceleration.
Fast players keep opposition defensive line deeper. We only had one fast player so the defence could push high against us. Don't think acceleration is more important unless we're taking about dribblers, but Hojlund isn't one.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I agree with the overall sentiment of your post. I just think Lukaku gets a worse rep than he should - and keep in mind I'm one of the people that wanted him gone early (I didn't think he was good enough on the ball), but Lukaku's goalscoring record for United wasn't atrocious. Looking at transfermarkt - he seemingly scored 42 in 96 appearances for us - that's really not bad - and had 13 assists as well. That's more than 1 goal involvement every two games. He just wasn't suited for the type of football we were trying to play, as we wanted to raise the technical floor of the team.
Indeed. He also started very well and hit the ground running.

Looked very much the real deal.

It just slowly fizzled out, the beginning of which coincided with that fecking weird song that he had to publicly ask people to stop singing :lol:

But at the start, he was really good actually.

Funny player, Lukaku. I would’ve sworn in his West Brom days that this guy was headed for the absolute top, and he came close, just never quite established himself at that absolute elite level.

Saying that, his record in Italy is fantastic and for his National team even more so.

Trequarista10

I'm happy with this signing.

I just hope fans are patient. He is young. The immediate key to our success in attack will be Bruno and Rashford, our two best attacking players both in or around their prime. The hope for Hojlund, Antony, Sancho, Garnacho, Diallo is that two of them can establish themselves as reliable starters who can forge a good connection with Rashford, Bruno and the rest of the team in the next year or two. Because of the fee and because he's virtually the only pure striker we have there is extra pressure, hope and expectation that is going to be pinned on Hojlund. However fans need to remain realistic. He's going to take time to reach the heights we are hoping for.

If Martial ends up leaving then I think it'd be beneficial to also bring in an experienced forward to take some of the pressure of Hojlund, another Cavani-esque signing. Preferably someone a little better than Wehgorst this time though!

Ibi Dreams

Given that some posters aren't that excited about him I feel like I should throw my hat into the ring and say I'm really excited about him. Signing a talented young striker is literally one of the most exciting things in football, and I really like the look of him. He may need a bit of patience, and I'm fine with that. He's got the raw materials as far as I can see

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This is actually very interesting for the system. And with a bit of fine tuning I think he's got the ability to be a great focal point at centre forward where he will receive passes in dangerous zones and bring others into play.

And that is a skill that the likes of Kolo-Muani and Osimhen haven't demonstrated, with both players being better at running in behind rather what I feel ten Hag is looking for in a centre forward, where holding the ball up and bringing others into play as well as pinning the opposing centre back is a requirement. And on top of that, Hojlund is also someone who is good at running in behind the back line.

So if we can play out of a press comfortably and have a focal point who can receive passes under pressure with his back to goal and bring others into play, that will make a difference in possession. And Hojlund's intensity off the ball can also be channeled into pressing intelligently within coordination with the rest of the team.

He's still a young lad and I really hope he improves his aerial ability which has the potential to make him even more dangerous as a centre forward. But as far as profile goes he's got the attributes to develop into a very good striker that will score goals and help the team as a whole score more goals and play higher up the pitch.

croadyman

I'm happy with this signing.

I just hope fans are patient. He is young. The immediate key to our success in attack will be Bruno and Rashford, our two best attacking players both in or around their prime. The hope for Hojlund, Antony, Sancho, Garnacho, Diallo is that two of them can establish themselves as reliable starters who can forge a good connection with Rashford, Bruno and the rest of the team in the next year or two. Because of the fee and because he's virtually the only pure striker we have there is extra pressure, hope and expectation that is going to be pinned on Hojlund. However fans need to remain realistic. He's going to take time to reach the heights we are hoping for.

If Martial ends up leaving then I think it'd be beneficial to also bring in an experienced forward to take some of the pressure of Hojlund, another Cavani-esque signing. Preferably someone a little better than Wehgorst this time though!
Be staggered if Martial leaves

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Given that some posters aren't that excited about him I feel like I should throw my hat into the ring and say I'm really excited about him. Signing a talented young striker is literally one of the most exciting things in football, and I really like the look of him. He may need a bit of patience, and I'm fine with that. He's got the raw materials as far as I can see
I think everyone is excited to see him and recognizes he has big potential (very dumb to think otherwise), but just reservations about the cost which is understandable. I'm more along the lines of he's a perfect fit and there wasn't a perfect fit striker out there, so if we have to pay up then so be it. Hope he hits his ceiling, because he has all the tools to be one of the very best.

Status
Not open for further replies.