RAWK Goes into Meltdown 2014/2015 - The "We go again" Edition

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
It would be another twist of the knife for Gerrard if Sterling went to Chelsea and won the league.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Sterling...Lambert and Balotelli Butler...who are they signing next? Silk Cut?

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
It's hilarious.

Best young player on the planet twelve months ago, and now he's little more than an extra in some shite football related movie.
Loving LFC these days is akin to being repeatedly punched in the face and yet here I am still willingly coming back for more.

Loublaze

ATLien
He's a modern day footballer, thick as pig shit. Ask any impressionable youngster these days what they want in life, if it's a girl, wanna be like that fat feck kardashian, ask a boy- wanna be like wooney. Worlds gone fecking insane to be honest

Nozzy

The shame if we, were to spend this £40-50 million on Sterling. £15m max & I don't want him even linked with us!

montpelier

This is quite a good post about how modern footy is shit now that it isn't Liverpool buying everyone else's best players.

I share your concerns.

Sterling and his agent are knobs. We know that.

But, an introspection into the club doesn't look very good. I was always pretty optimistic about things but the more I think about it, the more I'm worried.

To attract and keep players, you need 4 key things:

1. Money
2. Prestige
3. Top Players
4. Top Manager

Money

We don't spend as much as the "Tier 1" clubs. We may not have the capacity to (at least under FFP rules).

Prestige

We've won one trophy since 2006, been in the CL once since 2009, and haven't won a title since 1990.

Top Players

We no longer have Suarez or Gerrard. We also have lost the likes of Alonso, Mascherano, Reina, Torres, etc over the years.

Top Manager

Rodgers is a young and talented manager but his profile is not one of a top manager (yet).

The question becomes... how are we to compete with the Tier 1 clubs?

For example, Man City may still lack some prestige but they've got a truckload of money, top quality players, and can cycle through top managers. Thus, the likes of Silva and Aguero aren't exactly in a hurry to leave (Silva and Aguero have spent more time at City than Torres or Suarez did at Liverpool). Their two title wins also show the world that they are gaining in prestige and have been successful. Man United, on the other hand, even with Moyes for a year, didn't get hurt in player recruitment or retention as they have the money, prestige, and quality players. Sure they'll get burned with De Gea this summer, but their financial clout, prestige, and managerial recognition will get them pretty far during the summer transfer window.

PSG is similar to City while Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, and Chelsea have all four components in spades. Arsenal's a weird one but is probably below the top tier but above us.

The problem is we seem to be lacking on all four fronts.

We've literally asked Brendan Rodgers, an ambitious and talent yet still and inexperienced young manager, to outduel Jose Mourinho, Manuel Pellegrini (soon to be Carlo Ancelotti maybe), Arsene Wenger, and Louis Van Gaal with a worse squad and less money.

I mean, what are we honestly expecting?

The thought that in 3 years, with Coutinho, Sterling, Can, Henderson, Sakho, Moreno, Markovic, Ibe, Origi, a healthy Sturridge, a couple of new signings, and a more experienced Brendan Rodgers will lead Liverpool to past glories is an idealized romanticized view. The fact is, we've become a stepping stone club. Rodgers could take us to 3rd next season but that may not prevent Coutinho from going to Barca to play with his best mate Neymar and his friend Suarez (oh and Messi), Sterling from leaving, Sakho from partnering Varane at Madrid, etc. Emre Can might love Liverpool and love Rodgers, but when treble winners Bayern Munich come calling, it's curtains for us.

Suarez left us after we got 84 points. Alonso left us after we got 86. Torres left us after we got new owners and the King back. Sterling is 20 (20 FFS!) but he's already got visions of grandeur elsewhere.

I wish football was like the old days but it isn't. It isn't even the supporters becoming more impatient. It's the players. They want it all as soon as possible. Under Shankly, did his top players bang on his door all the time demanding to leave? Even when Liverpool weren't winning trophies? Would a 20-year old Ian Rush do an interview with the BBC demanding Paisley and LFC raise his wages to astronomical amounts? Would Barnes after 2 seasons tell Kenny "sorry boss, Barca/Bayern/Madrid came calling, I'm leaving"? No they wouldn't. They had loyalty and affinity. But they also saw Liverpool as the pinnacle of their careers. The pinnacle of football. We are unfortunately far removed from that. The lack of forward vision in the 90s and 00s did us in.

Is modern football shit? Of course it is. What right does a brat like Sterling have to demand more than £5M a year? He's 20! Yet, it's not the craziest thing is it?

Mario Gotze, before a CL final, decided to move from 2-time Bundesliga winners and CL finalists Dortmund... to their fecking rivals. Before a CL final against said rival. If you didn't laugh, you'd cry at the absurdity. You really would.

Welcome to football 2015. If you're not tier 1, even if you're winning, your players are still being picked away. What was Atletico's award for a La Liga title and a CL final? Bye-bye Diego Costa and Filipe Luis. Dortmund's? Bye-bye Mario Gotze and Robert Lewandowski.

Heck, if football was like this in the 80s, Ferguson would've never succeeded at Man United. If he somehow survived the sack after finishing 11th or after finishing 6 seasons with 1 FA Cup, he still would've lost out on players. What would've happened if Chelsea threw a bunch of money at Steve Bruce? Or if Man City outbid Man United for Keane? Or if Arsenal/PSG/Bayern threw obscene money at Cantona before he joined Man United? Or if Real Madrid and Barcelona were tapping up Ryan Giggs?

It all seems absurd but in modern football, this is actually what you get.

It's shit but you want to be a successful club again, you have to be ambitious and you have to spend. Whether that's players, managers, DOFs, you have to show intent. Players want money, prestige, quality teammates, and quality managers. You're going to have match some of these criteria or be prepared for your top players leaving for greener pastures on a consistent basis.

Sterling is a right little arse but he won't be the last one. It's a fecking shame but it's a reality.

If FFP rules are relaxed, then FSG have got to spend more. You don't need to spend like Man City all the time but you better put in a lot of money if you want a successful club. Otherwise, we'll just challenge for the title once every 5 years (maybe) and then get our best players plucked. If Suarez didn't want to stay after THAT season, what's going to convince another top footballer to stay in the future? Ambition. If you don't want to be a stepping stone, then ambition is your answer.

Yes, it's a pessimistic view from a normally optimistic individual but I'm getting worried about the club. Even if you're not doing a lot of things wrong, you're still getting screwed by modern football.

Welcome to 2015.

rotherham_red

The thought that in 3 years, with Coutinho, Sterling, Can, Henderson, Sakho, Moreno, Markovic, Ibe, Origi, a healthy Sturridge, a couple of new signings, and a more experienced Brendan Rodgers will lead Liverpool to past glories is an idealized romanticized view. The fact is, we've become a stepping stone club. Rodgers could take us to 3rd next season but that may not prevent Coutinho from going to Barca to play with his best mate Neymar and his friend Suarez (oh and Messi), Sterling from leaving, Sakho from partnering Varane at Madrid, etc. Emre Can might love Liverpool and love Rodgers, but when treble winners Bayern Munich come calling, it's curtains for us.
:lol::lol::lol:

Gopher Brown

He's a modern day footballer, thick as pig shit. Ask any impressionable youngster these days what they want in life, if it's a girl, wanna be like that fat feck kardashian, ask a boy- wanna be like wooney. Worlds gone fecking insane to be honest
What? Winning 5 Premier Leagues and the European Cup? Of course Sterling would want that.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
The U turn on Sterling is incredible!

They were comparing him to Messi and Ronaldo not too far back.

Tyrion

Surely you don't believe this?
Please don't. We just got back on topic.

Milner
Ings Benteke

Our forward line for next season.

I really detest modern football, and if it wasn't for being a Liverpool fan, I'd f**k off watching it. It's a horrible sport, filled with horrible people and players and fans are getting worse by the day.
Sickens me really.
wouldnt we all.

In a world where people in the UK are using food banks this spoilt little shit is complaining of being bullied when offered £100,000,beggars belief really
How can we let Sterling stay after this. Let him go. Suarez was always going to give 100%. Sterling has proved he won't also Suarez was nice enough to sign a new contract so we'd get a shit tonne of money ( which we've wasted). I'd be furious with the club if they kept him and sold him for like £10m next year
What % do QPR get out of any sale?
Knowing us at the moment, about 150%
the club needs to stand firm on any offer and reject anything below 50 million, if no one comes in then stick him in the reserves until he comes out and apologises to the fans.
I bolded the funnier bits. Also, "100%"? Wasn't he banned for long parts of almost every season?
Some of them (the second and third quote) have a point tbf.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
50 million... lol. £30m-£35m is about the most Liverpool will get. Depends if Arsenal and City are both interested. I could see Arsenal wanting him, but they have a lot of options for that position already. City makes sense, they need home-grown players.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Interesting read & straight talk from The Liverpool Way's official writer:

Nothing sums up the current regime at Liverpool more than that one moment (players being obliged to wear/promote next season's kit while on the lap of honour). We’ve just had an absolute dog of a season and we’d been embarrassed at home by Palace in a game we all wanted to win as a fitting send off for Stevie and they’re force-feeding their “everything is great” propaganda down our throats and using Gerrard to do it.
I’ve never been so disillusioned or lacking in any kind of hope in all my years of following the Reds. It may seem as though we’ve been in worse spots than this, but I disagree. This feels different to anything that’s gone before, because there’s not one person in a senior position at the club who is any good at their job, and who I’d trust to get us back on the right path. They’re all bluffers and chancers.
More:
http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php?/topic/108034-liverpool-1-crystal-palace-3-may-16-2015/

Danillaco

The Deluded Commentator watches Gerrard's testimonial the Palace game:

"Referee - the only way you'll get laid is if you crawl up a chicken's arse and wait" :lol:
:lol: :lol:

I can't stop laughing. The Zaha/Welbeck rambling is brilliant!

Is this real?

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Watching them come close to the title was almost worth it last season. The way they blew it and their subsequent descent into mediocrity has been even more funny.

The poor sods were so hopeful that their time had come.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I don't think we'll sign him but I don't think Sterling would have any issue joining us, maybe in the future though...

acrebo

This is quite a good post about how modern footy is shit now that it isn't Liverpool buying everyone else's best players.

I share your concerns.

But, an introspection into the club doesn't look very good. I was always pretty optimistic about things but the more I think about it, the more I'm worried.

1. Money
2. Prestige
3. Top Players
4. Top Manager

Money

We don't spend as much as the "Tier 1" clubs. We may not have the capacity to (at least under FFP rules).

Prestige

We've won one trophy since 2006, been in the CL once since 2009, and haven't won a title since 1990.

Top Players

We no longer have Suarez or Gerrard. We also have lost the likes of Alonso, Mascherano, Reina, Torres, etc over the years.

Top Manager

Rodgers is a young and talented manager but his profile is not one of a top manager (yet).

For example, Man City may still lack some prestige but they've got a truckload of money, top quality players, and can cycle through top managers. Thus, the likes of Silva and Aguero aren't exactly in a hurry to leave (Silva and Aguero have spent more time at City than Torres or Suarez did at Liverpool). Their two title wins also show the world that they are gaining in prestige and have been successful. Man United, on the other hand, even with Moyes for a year, didn't get hurt in player recruitment or retention as they have the money, prestige, and quality players. Sure they'll get burned with De Gea this summer, but their financial clout, prestige, and managerial recognition will get them pretty far during the summer transfer window.

PSG is similar to City while Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, and Chelsea have all four components in spades. Arsenal's a weird one but is probably below the top tier but above us.

We've literally asked Brendan Rodgers, an ambitious and talent yet still and inexperienced young manager, to outduel Jose Mourinho, Manuel Pellegrini (soon to be Carlo Ancelotti maybe), Arsene Wenger, and Louis Van Gaal with a worse squad and less money.

Suarez left us after we got 84 points. Alonso left us after we got 86. Torres left us after we got new owners and the King back. Sterling is 20 (20 FFS!) but he's already got visions of grandeur elsewhere.

I wish football was like the old days but it isn't. It isn't even the supporters becoming more impatient. It's the players. They want it all as soon as possible. Under Shankly, did his top players bang on his door all the time demanding to leave? Even when Liverpool weren't winning trophies? Would a 20-year old Ian Rush do an interview with the BBC demanding Paisley and LFC raise his wages to astronomical amounts? Would Barnes after 2 seasons tell Kenny "sorry boss, Barca/Bayern/Madrid came calling, I'm leaving"? No they wouldn't. They had loyalty and affinity. But they also saw Liverpool as the pinnacle of their careers. The pinnacle of football. We are unfortunately far removed from that. The lack of forward vision in the 90s and 00s did us in.

Is modern football shit? Of course it is. What right does a brat like Sterling have to demand more than £5M a year? He's 20! Yet, it's not the craziest thing is it?

Mario Gotze, before a CL final, decided to move from 2-time Bundesliga winners and CL finalists Dortmund... to their fecking rivals. Before a CL final against said rival. If you didn't laugh, you'd cry at the absurdity. You really would.

Welcome to football 2015. If you're not tier 1, even if you're winning, your players are still being picked away. What was Atletico's award for a La Liga title and a CL final? Bye-bye Diego Costa and Filipe Luis. Dortmund's? Bye-bye Mario Gotze and Robert Lewandowski.

Heck, if football was like this in the 80s, Ferguson would've never succeeded at Man United. If he somehow survived the sack after finishing 11th or after finishing 6 seasons with 1 FA Cup, he still would've lost out on players. What would've happened if Chelsea threw a bunch of money at Steve Bruce? Or if Man City outbid Man United for Keane? Or if Arsenal/PSG/Bayern threw obscene money at Cantona before he joined Man United? Or if Real Madrid and Barcelona were tapping up Ryan Giggs?

It's shit but you want to be a successful club again, you have to be ambitious and you have to spend. Whether that's players, managers, DOFs, you have to show intent. Players want money, prestige, quality teammates, and quality managers. You're going to have match some of these criteria or be prepared for your top players leaving for greener pastures on a consistent basis.

Sterling is a right little arse but he won't be the last one. It's a fecking shame but it's a reality.

If FFP rules are relaxed, then FSG have got to spend more. You don't need to spend like Man City all the time but you better put in a lot of money if you want a successful club. Otherwise, we'll just challenge for the title once every 5 years (maybe) and then get our best players plucked. If Suarez didn't want to stay after THAT season, what's going to convince another top footballer to stay in the future? Ambition. If you don't want to be a stepping stone, then ambition is your answer.

Yes, it's a pessimistic view from a normally optimistic individual but I'm getting worried about the club. Even if you're not doing a lot of things wrong, you're still getting screwed by modern football.

Welcome to 2015.
That's quite an interesting post really, when you look beyond the fact that it happens to nicely coincide with Liverpool's fortunes since football has evolved.

clarkydaz

Watching them come close to the title was almost worth it last season. The way they blew it and their subsequent descent into mediocrity has been even more funny.

The poor sods were so hopeful that their time had come.
they did actually get a taste of being premier league champions, before that Chelsea game.

their continuous self implosions are colossal;

gerrard
suarez
c. palace
Rodgers
Suarez
looting Southampton
blowing the lottery money
Balotelli
CL embarrassment
Sterling

that's a decade of grief in 12 months

I share your concerns.

1. Money
2. Prestige
3. Top Players
4. Top Manager

Money

Prestige

Top Players

Top Manager

Welcome to 2015.
Yeah, it's a quality post.