RAWK Goes into Meltdown 2014/2015 - The "We go again" Edition

Mali_Zeus

I seriously need to put my best effort to understand Carragher. I understand every 5th word, sometimes its better when he speaks slower.

I thought its tuff to understand Glasweigan but scouser accent is worse.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I seriously need to put my best effort to understand Carragher. I understand every 5th word, sometimes its better when he speaks slower.

I thought its tuff to understand Glasweigan but scouser accent is worse.
Glaswegian sounds like they've put the person in that final crystal at the end of an episode of The Crystal Maze. Except instead of collecting little silver and gold pieces of paper he has to drink as many bottles of gin as he can in 60 seconds.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I've been to Liverpool many times as a foreigner and never had any problems understanding Scousers. Of course there's a difference between a cab driver, bartender and hotel personnel for example, but they're all capable of speaking perfectly good and understandable English if they want to. And even if they use their Scouse accent, it's still not very hard to understand them if you listen carefully. It might be an awful accent if you're used to hearing proper British every day, but I don't mind it at all tbh.

Is there really such a difference between their accent and the one used in Manchester, considering it's only 30 miles apart or something?

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I've been to Liverpool many times as a foreigner and never had any problems understanding Scousers. Of course there's a difference between a cab driver, bartender and hotel personnel for example, but they're all capable of speaking perfectly good and understandable English if they want to. And even if they use their Scouse accent, it's still not very hard to understand them if you listen carefully. It might be an awful accent if you're used to hearing proper British every day, but I don't mind it at all tbh.

Is there really such a difference between their accent and the one used in Manchester, considering it's only 30 miles apart or something?
Yes, it's not even close. See Gary Neville for reference.

clarkydaz

its fascinating how different the cities are to be 30 mins drive apart, and want nothing to do with the other. if you hear a strong scouse accent with the high pitch whine, phlem its quite unique

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
its fascinating how different the cities are to be 30 mins drive apart, and want nothing to do with the other. if you hear a strong scouse accent with the high pitch whine, phlem its quite unique
It is incredible the difference given the short distance. But then again, people in Dublin can have vastly different accents just by being from different parts of the same City (broadly North and South).

I think it becomes a self reinforcing thing. Some studies have shown accents can grow more exaggerated over time, as people try to reinforce their own identity, and more importantly, to differentiate themselves from the neighbouring "tribes".

Raptori

Special needs
It is incredible the difference given the short distance. But then again, people in Dublin can have vastly different accents just by being from different parts of the same City (broadly North and South).

I think it becomes a self reinforcing thing. Some studies have shown accents can grow more exaggerated over time, as people try to reinforce their own identity, and more importantly, to differentiate themselves from the neighbouring "tribes".
Tribes is definitely the right word when it comes to Liverpool and Manchester...! :D

Mali_Zeus

Its a huge difference, find Andy Tate on youtube to see for yourself. :)

Mali_Zeus

Glaswegian sounds like they've put the person in that final crystal at the end of an episode of The Crystal Maze. Except instead of collecting little silver and gold pieces of paper he has to drink as many bottles of gin as he can in 60 seconds.
Haha, great description. :)
I remember when I met a friend from Glasgow first time, couldnt understand a word. In time I got used to it but when he would speak with another Glasgow friend it sounded like some other language and definitely not english, every 10th word I would say to myself - oh that's english definitely! :)

Mali_Zeus

Despite the fact Croatia is a small country we have lots and lots of different accents. On some small islands 2 different villages speak with 2 completely different accents.
There's a village north of Zagreb, Bednja, they speak like they've fallen out of the sky there, nobody in Croatia understands their accent or to be precise their language. :)

Bolded part is definitely true, some people exaggerate their accent just to show they're from that and that city when in reality they're not even from there originally.

bleezy

Carragher speaks slowly enough on TV and puts strong emphasis on the words he says that it shouldn't be a problem understanding him. I imagine there'd be a world of difference trying to understand what he's saying if you just met him on the street than if you're watching MNF.

jeff_goldblum

Carragher speaks slowly enough on TV and puts strong emphasis on the words he says that it shouldn't be a problem understanding him. I imagine there'd be a world of difference trying to understand what he's saying if you just met him on the street than if you're watching MNF.
He's definitely had some kind of training from Sky, how he talks as a pundit is really different to how he used to during post-match interviews as a player.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
There's something about this being filmed through barb wire and the slow methodical chanting, like I wouldn't be surprised if he kidnaps Gerrard one day and has him locked up with that chant just on a loop.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
They're not though are they.
Obviously it's hyperbole, I couldn't know every scouser (thank feck).

The people you actually see and hear with a scouse accent in public are all absolute wrecks though. The accent doesn't help because you're pre-disposed to link it to thieving doleites but they genuinely are terrible on first impression and you wouldn't want more than a first impression with them.

montpelier

Bear visits wood

In the meantime do forgive me if I regard raking over the coals of a home draw against a shite Hull City is like playing the fecking fiddle while yer arsehole's on fire. Until the ostriches amongst us admit to the biggest elephant any room has ever housed then as far as I’m concerned any discussion about specific performances that do not commence with the elephant in the room as the base-line is an entire fecking waste of time and space.

Footy? A Game of opinions. Yeah, right

Jaxa

So they still have to play Hull Away next who just got a massive win today, QPR at Home, Chelsea Away, Palace at home and Stoke away :lol:

I honestly only see them getting a win against QPR and maybe Palace but could see that being a draw, so 6 points more if there lucky

montpelier

morale may not be high

fecking sound.

Embarassed in the Champs League, embarassed in the Europa, embarassed in the FA cup, fecked up in the chase for top four with our "Lack" of big name mentality and now we fecking wimper out of our possible last chance to save the season and get into the top four.

What a shambolic, filthy mess.

feck off.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Would be funny if City were to draw this evening.

prateik

Their season was shit before they played us for the first time. Then they got their hopes up and we crushed it in the return fixture..

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Step aside Descartes.

I once had a cheap pair of black shoes I wore to work as a waiter. One day the sole peeled 3/4 off the bottom and flapped every time I took a step, making it clumsy and difficult to walk. I wasn't about to spend my money on a new pair of shoes just for work, so I grabbed some black tape and wrapped it around the shoe to keep the sole still. It made it hard to get them on and off, but it stopped the flapping.

Our squad as currently constituted made me think of those shoes - every step a makeshift solution to a problem with an obvious answer. Need proper work shoes? Buy proper work shoes. Need a striker? Buy a proper fecking striker. It seems pointless to me to even evaluate this makeshift work in progress.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
He's definitely had some kind of training from Sky, how he talks as a pundit is really different to how he used to during post-match interviews as a player.
This. I remeber his interviews when he was still a player. I wqs sure he had speech disorder. Nowdays i understand him with ease eventhough i dont live in Scotland any more.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Are you serious it is high pitched and sounds like they have a throat full of flem