Renato Sanches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red71

.......have just watched the video and seen him run the ball in to touch like Fellaini......do not want......

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We should not allow this idiot to waste one more cent of our war chest especially on an eighteen year old with less than fifty games on his back. Why not give the game time to Perreira instead?
The same idiot who bought Martial, Shaw, Morgan, Herrera and Blind? Hold on he's actually spent well! It's just his football to watch is zzzzzzz

Red71

Actually, the real story is how impressive a young lad of 18 looks playing in a top(ish) division against grown men, not only looking at home but actually standing out. He obviously looks a bit raw but that pace and power is sensational and we are crying out for something like that in our midfield. A couple of clips showed us his acceleration and he was like shite off a shovel......imagine us with a central midfielder that was quicker than most forwards. Do want!!!

He'd have good and bad days like all kids do starting out and he'd have a steep learning curve in the step up for sure but I'd put up with that for everything else he brings, not least a bit of aggression in the middle of the park....at last!

Red71

YouTube videos ain't what they used to be. Before I stopped watching I had seen him absolutely cnut the ball over the bar a few times, receive the ball under little or no pressure a half dozen times and mistime a jump which meant his header became an inadvertent backpass.

So, yeah, it's fair to say I'm excited.
Lol, things ain't what they used to be that's for sure.....

Fer

To be honest I haven't seen him play. Is he better than Tielemans, Neves or Bazoer?

Red71

I think we'd be daft to ignore those sort of attributes or moan about the cost when we're getting carted left, right and centre in the media for the state of our youth infrastructure and generally not investing in youth and potential....can't have it both ways. We need to start banking a few potential talents in the hope of turning a few into gems. He has enough about him from the looks of things that you'd want to take a chance imo.

Speedicut75

I read an article in the Daily Fail this morning, and they suggested that if we did sign him we may loan him back to Benfica until the end of the season? Don't like the sound of that, but it was reported in the Mail so who knows about reliability.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The reaction here is exactly the same when we bought Martial. Long may it goes!

Dans

I think we'd be daft to ignore those sort of attributes or moan about the cost when we're getting carted left, right and centre in the media for the state of our youth infrastructure and generally not investing in youth and potential....can't have it both ways. We need to start banking a few potential talents in the hope of turning a few into gems. He has enough about him from the looks of things that you'd want to take a chance imo.
The thing is by getting these kids so early, we risk losing them just before they peak. We hand them 4 -5 yr contracts at this early age but if they blossom into something special you can see Madrid and Barca looking to pick them up before they can show us all they have got. I would rather be taking the best 22-24 yr talents and paying a bit more.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I sure we would have watched him closely. He looks like a unit, so strength won't bee a problem. The hysteria in this thread is typical of the caf.

Adisa

The thing is by getting these kids so early, we risk losing them just before they peak. We hand them 4 -5 yr contracts at this early age but if they blossom into something special you can see Madrid and Barca looking to pick them up before they can show us all they have got. I would rather be taking the best 22-24 yr talents and paying a bit more.
We aren't a small club. It's not every top player that has dreams of playing for Real or Barca. If we compete at the top end, we have enough stature as a club to keep our players.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
This is the most ridiculous post I've seen, so your saying you'd rather not sign the next Ronaldo because your scared he will leave again..... We are one of the elite clubs in world football and have a pull just as large as other top clubs so stop this stupid negativity for the sake of it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't know what people are looking at. He looks impressive from the clips in this thread. Very small sample size, of course, but I'm not sure where this Fellaini crap is coming from. Have you guys been watching the Portugese league, or something?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think I was the only poster who was dissapointed with the Memphis signing at the time.

Sanches looks pretty exciting from the little I've seen of him. We could do with a player like him driving us forward with pace in midfield.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Looks more Clarence Seedorf rather than Edgar Davids in terms of style.. very fluid midfielder with strong dribbling/passing and a hammer of shot.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think I was the only poster who was dissapointed with the Memphis signing at the time.

Sanches looks pretty exciting from the little I've seen of him. We could do with a player like him driving us forward with pace in midfield.
@Akash I think. I don't know about disappointment, but if I'm not mistaken he was playing down the hype at the time and saying Memphis wasn't all that. He's been correct so far.

It's William he was wrong about who is clearly among the best 5 players in the world.

RedRover

The 22 to 24 year old talents who are already at top clubs?

Bizarre attitude. By your logic we should have steered clear of Ronaldo then - just because he moved on and did even better than he did here? The fact that he helped us win league titles and a European Cup - and the brought in a world record fee counts for nothing? I bet if you gave any other club the chance to take him when we had him they'd take your hand off.

And in terms of players moving on, other than Real and Barca, where are they going to go? We pay mega wages and offer CL football regularly - of so you would expect going forward with the investment going in and funds available.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Unless he's 'for the next manager' he does look to be another one of those who wouldn't look to fit van Gaal's system. Surely with his ability to drive the ball from deep he's more of an industrial box-to-box playing penetrative passes and committing defenders who suits a three man midfield better? This is all coming from those YouTube videos so correct me if I'm wrong.

In the same way Herrera and Pereira don't - none are a #10 nor are they a #6.
You mean like How Seedorf did not fit the LVG philosophy with his driving runs?
I have watched him a few times and think he is a bit too raw but he can be special in time. Just not sure whether it won't be a move too soon. But hey, when is the right time though.

Adisa

There were quite a few of us. I was hounded out of his thread in the newbies.

Devil may care

The difference between this lad and Martial/Shaw is that he's only made 11 senior appearances, it seems a big gamble for the money being touted.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/mem...an-utd-is-agreed.391025/page-45#post-17298705

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/sea...ce-errr-formation.401543/page-2#post-17125806

I wasn't too convinced by NL Max's glowing reports on him either.. but I still hope he has it in him to get fitter and turn it round. I think technically and his feel for the game are definitely good enough but physically and mentally he is just not.. which are two major aspects of what it takes to be a success at the highest level. Both things can be improved on to a degree, but he does say the right things in interviews.. just isn't carrying that out in reality.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
People referencing Ronaldo as what happens when you sign unproven talent...that's like saying we should all buy lottery tickets because someone just won the Powerball. It happens. But spending all your money on lottery tickets is still stupid.

It's the FM generation. Has to be.

If we want to go anywhere in the next 2-3 seasons we need a Keane/Cantona/Tevez type signing. Maybe not genuinely at the top of their game, but close, and proven, and ready to hit the ground running. The fees being mentioned for this guy...those are the prices you pay for a Modric at his peak, or Kroos, or Javi Martinez. To do so on a player with less than 20 senior appearances is mental.

Martial is exciting. He's got a few important goals for us. But the fee we paid is still ridiculous as a precedent. Unless he genuinely becomes one of the best, most productive players in world football - and soon - it's still completely out of the market norms.

I know it's not our money etc etc, but it is still opportunity cost - the extra 20m we throw at some young kid is 20m we could be spending elsewhere - like on a pretty solid backup fullback, or god forbid an actual fit centre back.

We could definitely get Laporte for that kind of fee. For example.

itso 7

What keyboard warrior? It boggles the mind that ppl are against the signing of a high potential young lad after getting the likes of Shaw and Martial in. By all accounts if we went for a high profile player ppl would moan as well and bring up Di Maria as an example of why it is bad to sign established players. It's just idiotic. LvG has a very good record when it comes to young players so I'll trust him with that one if we go for him. Perreira and our other youngsters have feck all to do with this.
What keyboard warrior? It boggles the mind that ppl are against the signing of a high potential young lad after getting the likes of Shaw and Martial in. By all accounts if we went for a high profile player ppl would moan as well and bring up Di Maria as an example of why it is bad to sign established players. It's just idiotic. LvG has a very good record when it comes to young players so I'll trust him with that one if we go for him. Perreira and our other youngsters have feck all to do with this.
It's a point I feel you could have raised without descending to statements like ''calm your tits'' and shit like that. If you have read my other posts you would have seen that I'm not totally against the idea of bringing young talent like him in but I feel that major spending like that should be left to the guy with a much longer tenure than this one who is practically a dead man walking no matter how one trusts his judgement.

DWelbz19

You mean like How Seedorf did not fit the LVG philosophy with his driving runs?
:lol: Come on, mate. That was more than 20 years ago. van Gaal's philosophy has changed drastically.

Dans

This is the most ridiculous post I've seen, so your saying you'd rather not sign the next Ronaldo because your scared he will leave again..... We are one of the elite clubs in world football and have a pull just as large as other top clubs so stop this stupid negativity for the sake of it.
No. We don't have the same pull that Madrid or Barca have.

That aside, I don't think spending 30m on these kids then playing regularly from day 1 is clever. There's too much pressure on them. Ronaldo is the absolute exception. How many kids bought for big money at aged 18 don't turn out to be what was hoped they would be? My bet is at least 75%. Like another poster said - it's a lottery and we are going about this in a FM way. Invest all these huge sums in a proper youth academy then we might produce our own amazing 18 yr old talents.

The_Midfielder

Welll if you cant bring them up from your academy.. buy them...We cant be keep losing on big talents. .Think about Chelsea had De Bryune and Lukaku up their sleeves ..followig the same.policy of buying them young

DWelbz19

I don't think the emphasis on possession has changed much.
But the propensity to play safe over taking risks has increased tenfold. We were just playing 5 at the back against a fairly defensive Southampton side at Old Trafford for 45 minutes.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Welll if you cant bring them up from your academy.. buy them...We cant be keep losing on big talents. .Think about Chelsea had De Bryune and Lukaku up their sleeves ..followig the same.policy of buying them young
The Wenger way then

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
But the propensity to play safe over taking risks has increased tenfold. We were just playing 5 at the back against a fairly defensive Southampton side at Old Trafford for 45 minutes.
It can also be argued playing an attacking player in a defensive role shows attacking intent.
We can always find a way to make our point stick. Seedorf, Bastian, Iniesta and the Newcastle lad all share the same trait many are quick to point out LVG hates in his midfielders.

DWelbz19

So you say, but again with comparisons from the past. His style of football has changed dramatically, he has even admitted this. Basti [currently] offers no such threat. He also played a five at the back when Wijnaldum played (in a cup-competition at that), so I don't think that comparison holds much weight either.

Acole9

Outstanding
I haven't seen enough of him to really pass judgement on him as a player but if the newspaper stories that we will loan him back to Benfica until the summer then we may as well just not bother.

RedStarUnited

Its forgotten now but Anderson wasnt actually a liability at first. He was one of our best players in the big games between 2008 and 2011. You cant really remember many shocking games from him in those years, and he played in most of our big away games.

Its sad what he became but he had more than a decent start!

Status
Not open for further replies.