g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Romelu Lukaku image 9

Romelu Lukaku Belgium flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
If I was a neutral fan would I still be bothering having this discussion with you or the dozen other posters that have poked at me since yesterday? Would I have been watching all those crappy pre-season games at 3am when a lot of the posters here that go at me weren't, if I was a neutral? As for the other part good is effective, I'm talking purely entertaining, attractive football, in the 80's I found the A Team entertaining, not so much now, times change, what we enjoy and what entertains us in life alters over time, things change.
You might do if you take your opinions and your subjective perspective very seriously. Which is sort of what you implied when you announced you weren't going to support the team because they signed someone you didn't like. I hadn't seen otherwise so I assumed that was still your stance.

steve88

i like how people are mentioning his faults and what he did wrong in the game, I thought overall he played well did not amke many mistakes and held the ball up well. at the end of the day he scored 2 goals that massively helped us win and i think he will improve.

Shark

@NotShark
Very pleased with his game. He did what I expected. He did what he does well, very well - and did what he does poorly, quite poorly. I still believe he is a poor 'footballer', despite being a very good 'striker'. That's fine by me, but he still reminds me of Chris Smalling on the ball.
That said, as many many know, I'm a big Smalling fan too. Smalling is very good at defending, and Lukaku is very good at scoring goals. Neither are technically very good at all though.
Smalling? really? that's quite a weird comparison based on what he was doing with the ball yesterday. Made some great runs, and linked up great in attack for the most part.

Devil may care

You might do if you take your opinions and your subjective perspective very seriously. Which is sort of what you implied when you announced you weren't going to support the team because they signed someone you didn't like. I hadn't seen otherwise so I assumed that was still your stance.
I never give an opinion on something I don't watch, and support and watch aren't the same thing, you can support and not see a lot of the games, just follow the results and match write-ups, which is what I had to do as a kid because I didn't have the access. The truth is between our transfer window and the grotesque PSG shit I've found myself feeling very hollow about football, since the leagues kicked off last week I've only watched 2 games, both of them ours.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I never give an opinion on something I don't watch, and support and watch aren't the same thing, you can support and not see a lot of the games, just follow the results and match write-ups, which is what I had to do as a kid because I didn't have the access. The truth is between our transfer window and the grotesque PSG shit I've found myself feeling very hollow about football, since the leagues kicked off last week I've only watched 2 games, both of them ours.
:lol: what on earth is there to feel hollow about our transfer window

Devil may care

:lol: what on earth is there to feel hollow about our transfer window
We haven't bought for 3 of the positions we needed players in and I don't care for the profile of the players we have bought, Lindelof not withstanding as who knows how he'll adapt, he's young enough to get to grips with things.

Robbie Boy

His improvement trajectory to-date has been excellent and I expect him to improve further with us. He's a class act.

Moonred

Did you enjoy our league opener?

Robbie Boy

I loved his celebration for his first goal. You can just tell he's absolutely delighted to be here. There's a real team spirit about the place with some genuine friendships within the ranks and it's fantastic to see.

reddevil702

I think we all saw the biggest difference between Lukaku and Ibra when Lukaku got the ball in midfield and was able to sprint past the defense. That really set the tone and keeps defenders guessing. Really excited to see how this season goes for him, potential is sky high and so are my expectations :devil:.

Ban

Jesus, just let that doom monger to moan away. We beat West Ham 4:0, his favourite player scores 2 goals and he's just 'glad we won'...

Oakie

we may still get Ibra back for the later part of the season will help him alot.

Devil may care

RuudTom83

Pretty/Attacking football is far easy to do after you go 1-0 up!

Lakaku might not be the silkiest on the eye but getting that first goal is far easier with him in the team.

I was impressed with his first appearance at Old Trafford, and can't wait to see him develop an understanding with Pogba and co.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Silver cloud or whatever the saying is! :D

It was very direct, very overpowering the way Mourinho likes it, the best thing about it was that we went for the 3rd rather than shutting up shop.
So I'm assuming no with the way we played? I don't know what wasn't enjoyable about that preformance.

Danny Roberts

Pace is so important and something we've been missing.

On a vaguely related subject I saw a picture of Kanchelskis this week. Not looking so fast these days that's for sure!

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

KN5

We haven't bought for 3 of the positions we needed players in and I don't care for the profile of the players we have bought, Lindelof not withstanding as who knows how he'll adapt, he's young enough to get to grips with things.
We have bought for positions we need, more goals, 2nd in terms of scoring in this league. Rojo injured, Jones and Smalling unreliable? Young and upcoming defender. Another midfielder for depth? Huge defensive midfielder whilst crippling our rivals. Perfect off season so far.

Devil may care

We have bought for positions we need, more goals, 2nd in terms of scoring in this league. Rojo injured, Jones and Smalling unreliable? Young and upcoming defender. Another midfielder for depth? Huge defensive midfielder whilst crippling our rivals. Perfect off season so far.
We haven't added more goals, we simply replaced the goals we got from Ibra, it's been far from perfect.

KN5

We haven't added more goals, we simply replaced the goals we got from Ibra, it's been far from perfect.
Rashford in his third year, Pogba settled, Mata who was one of our better scorers is not injured, with the prospect of adding Ibra again, we're in a good position, ideally another striker will do, but with the growing talent we have it's possible they perform to a better standard than last season. Which generally is how it works with younger promising players.

Hopefully we add another striker but like I said SO FAR we have had a successful window, unless players leave it'll continue to be just that.

Edit: it's not as if we didn't create the chances, We just had a hard time putting them away, Lukaku is reliable especially vs the smaller teams, Lukaku also gives us another dynamic, someone who truly can run in behind.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Ibrahimovic doesn't score the first goal against WHU.

Lukaku brings a different dimension
I don't think anyone in our squad last year scores the second, not as much as they should anyway. Great to see a United No.9 get space, win the header and put it right in the corner.

Brightonian

I may be getting carried away but if he is fit and takes care of his health and body, I can see him playing here for a decade and even breaking Rooney's record.
One game in, you might be. But we're fans, we're allowed to get carried away about our players!

SirAF

Ageist
I got a feeling he's going to be one of my favorite players quite soon :drool:

That turn of pace when he sped past a player very early in the first half, Jesus.

RedCurry

He scored on one of the harder chances he had in the game. That pass from Martial and and the one from Mkhitaryan, he could've taken the shot first time with his stronger left foot. I won't be surprised if he does score 4 in a single game this season.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
I don't watch as many non-United games as I probably should but I had no idea he was as quick as he is. He's going to get 30+ this year.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I've only seen highlights as was away this weekend, but he looked sharper than the opposition yet calm. Good movement and that sharpness made him seem quicker. Looks like he's adding something that Zlatan didn't on the pitch.

His attitude is top notch too. Loved his 'everyone fighting for a place' comment.

Solo Toure

I think we all saw the biggest difference between Lukaku and Ibra when Lukaku got the ball in midfield and was able to sprint past the defense. That really set the tone and keeps defenders guessing. Really excited to see how this season goes for him, potential is sky high and so are my expectations :devil:.
My thoughts exactly Red Rom is a beast, I predict he will score minimum 30+ in all comps.

Hopefully Zlatan returns for the 2nd half of the season to push us towards the title.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
My thoughts exactly Red Rom is a beast, I predict he will score minimum 30+ in all comps.

Hopefully Zlatan returns for the 2nd half of the season to push us towards the title.
Agreed. Ibra's return will provide welcome relief from the strain of the long CL and prem seasons.

Devil may care

Rashford in his third year, Pogba settled, Mata who was one of our better scorers is not injured, with the prospect of adding Ibra again, we're in a good position, ideally another striker will do, but with the growing talent we have it's possible they perform to a better standard than last season. Which generally is how it works with younger promising players.

Hopefully we add another striker but like I said SO FAR we have had a successful window, unless players leave it'll continue to be just that.

Edit: it's not as if we didn't create the chances, We just had a hard time putting them away, Lukaku is reliable especially vs the smaller teams, Lukaku also gives us another dynamic, someone who truly can run in behind.
We replaced Ibra's goals with Lukaku, but the rest is just figners crossed the same players that failed to deliver last season suddenly deliver. We needed a secondary source of goals added, and once we bought that source should have been someone to play off him to compliment what he can do and cover what he can't. We also needed another quality wide attacking option and a LB, and you could argue another CM as we are still using Fellaini.

Status
Not open for further replies.