Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He was compared to Benteke, style wise in match day thread :lol:

Belgian, big player leading the line for PL club is where comparison ends.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

They both have long toes, for tap-ins, scoring etc.
To think they was about the same level when Benteke played for Aston Villa. A few years ago that now, pretty weird comparison. A peak Benteke isn't as good as potential-Benteke was.

dogwithabone

His finishes were very good, doesn’t really matter who the opposition is. His finishes combined precision, power and deftness.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

A lazy comparison based on position, nationality & race. It's like when people used to call Pogba the "new Vieira" despite playing nothing like him.

Quizierda

Good start to the tournament - happy for him!
Hope we sign some players this year who are able to serve him. He is a hell of a striker when used properbly!

Dyslexic Untied

I've got no stats or anything specific to point at supporting this, but my impression is that he has improved loads just this last 6 months or so. He was great for us towards the end of the season, and just seems both sharper and more precise when being involved - in addition to being more involved. Yesterday he had a quiet game at first, but those involvements he had were positive. Then he finishes off the game with two good finishes.

Stacks

Lukaku scored quite a few wonder goals at Everton.

Kane will never score a goal like that in his life. Kane is a phenomenal striker and better than Lukaku but I don't think it's farfetched that Lukaku has the potential to be better.
:lol: Most definitely will have to be done for Rom to match Kane's obvious advantage!

Thanks for that share. I do remember this goal, but was probably at the back of my mind. Also remember a couple of goals from him at West Brom.
I remember Kane doing something similar a few seasons ago, dribbling past a few players and hitting a sweet shot into the bottom corner from outside the box.
I do agree with the last point however. I think Lukaku's ceiling is higher, but on current form, Kane would have to edge it, as reluctant as I am to admit it.

I also didn't know that Henry was involved in the national team coaching staff. That will massively benefit Lukaku, especially the off the ball stuff, since I think Rom is pretty clinical as it is. But service for him has to improve though.
Romelu is 2 months older and 437 games under his belt to Kanes 303, and is thus much more experienced, with an inferior scoring record. I don't know where the logic comes from that he has more potential. If anything it should be the other way around

dogwithabone

Romelu is 2 months older and 437 games under his belt to Kanes 303, and is thus much more experienced, with an inferior scoring record. I don't know where the logic comes from that he has more potential. If anything it should be the other way around

Well if international football is the supposed pinnacle then Lukaku is streets ahead. Twice as many appearances and twice as many goals. Kane took ages to breakthrough at international level, Lukaku has been banging them in since he was in nappies.

Trizy

Sorry I didn't throw a 10er on him at 17/1 to be top goal scorer. Opted for the safer bet of Werner. However, I feel Lukaku is really going to have a strong WC.

Smores

I can see the sense in the argument tbh. Kane will never have the pace and power of a Lukaku, however he's more astute in movement and positioning and i think thats where Lukaku may grow and take the upper hand. People use the same logic for Martial that he has the abilities but needs better understanding of the game.Number of games is meaningless to development.

Right now Kane is way ahead

Smores

Sorry I didn't throw a 10er on him at 17/1 to be top goal scorer. Opted for the safer bet of Werner. However, I feel Lukaku is really going to have a strong WC.
I put a tenner on each of Lukaku, Kane and Costa. Looking good so far

Norris

Lukaku has played for a lot of clubs though. Played for relegation contenders, mid table mediocrity and what not. I am not justifying his inferior goal record, which is why I said Kane is the better player in the same post, but it has to be taken into consideration.

The point I was trying to make is that Lukaku has shown glimpses of improving his overall game play. Not just goal scoring, but his ability to hold onto the ball, delivering ridiculously high quality crosses, finding players in space, intricate play, movement etc. It still doesn't feel like he's the finished article, which is not something I would say of Kane. There is room for him to improve and he recognizes that and is working towards it. I am not saying Kane can't do the same, but the footballing side of his game is already very well rounded, which leaves little room for improvement in the physical side. He could also possibly try and improve on the mental aspect of things as well, but I am not sure if it is something I would consider significant growth.

Stacks

Lukaku has played for a lot of clubs though. Played for relegation contenders, mid table mediocrity and what not. I am not justifying his inferior goal record, which is why I said Kane is the better player in the same post, but it has to be taken into consideration.

The point I was trying to make is that Lukaku has shown glimpses of improving his overall game play. Not just goal scoring, but his ability to hold onto the ball, delivering ridiculously high quality crosses, finding players in space, intricate play, movement etc. It still doesn't feel like he's the finished article, which is not something I would say of Kane. There is room for him to improve and he recognizes that and is working towards it. I am not saying Kane can't do the same, but the footballing side of his game is already very well rounded, which leaves little room for improvement in the physical side. He could also possibly try and improve on the mental aspect of things as well, but I am not sure if it is something I would consider significant growth.
The flip side is that if you haven't developed these areas of your game to a high level, at this age and after this number of games, perhaps you just aren't overly talented in these areas.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The flip side is that if you haven't developed these areas of your game to a high level, at this age and after this number of games, perhaps you just aren't overly talented in these areas.
He has though to be fair, its the hold up play that is an issue for him, and his movement.

Trizy

I put a tenner on each of Lukaku, Kane and Costa. Looking good so far
Any chance you bet with PaddyPower? They give back 2euro free bet every time your top scorer scores. You'd have made 12 of the 30 back so far :lol:

Norris

But that is something very difficult to truly assess though right ? There is no quantifiable data for this kind of metrics to suggest if an improvement has been made or not. I can only judge those aspects of him from how he was at the start of the season to now, since United games are the games I watch the most. Also, like I said, he has played for many clubs as well. So unless there are people who have completely followed his career, you will probably not get a very complete picture.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Nobody can tell for sure, some players are late bloomers. The only thing We can be sure of is that both Lukaku and Kane still have age on their sides. What will happen next? nobody knows. Look at Salah for example, people knew He was talented but nobody knew He's capable of performing in such a high level as He's shown last season.

Minimalist

Nice to see United aren’t the only side who struggle to create chances for him. Still two nice goals and you’d expect him to score another 4-5 in the next couple of games.

Hojoon

You might as well compare Messi to Stewart Downing because they both like to dribble with their left foot.

Stacks

Nobody can tell for sure, some players are late bloomers. The only thing We can be sure of is that both Lukaku and Kane still have age on their sides. What will happen next? nobody knows. Look at Salah for example, people knew He was talented but nobody knew He's capable of performing in such a high level as He's shown last season.
Very true. That said it is clear Kane and Lukaku are not late bloombers. They are already there and Lukaku fits the Wunderkind label, of which many depreciate when supposedly in their prime years. Anyways I am routing for Rom to get the Golden boot, more so for his confidence and perhaps to show Jose what he can do when used properly (not target man) and given lots of service. let him play on the shoulder and just thread balls and crosses to him.

roonster09

Scout
Nice to see United aren’t the only side who struggle to create chances for him. Still two nice goals and you’d expect him to score another 4-5 in the next couple of games.
You mean Belgium are also struggling to create chances for him?

He has scored 15 goals in his last 10 games for Belgium.

roonster09

Scout
So what? I’m talking about the match yesterday.
So Belgium are not struggling to create chances for him, yesterday they created 2 very easy chances for him. In general they create good number of chances for him.

It's like saying Messi is useless based on game against Iceland.

Minimalist

So Belgium are not struggling to create chances for him, yesterday they created 2 very easy chances for him. In general they create good number of chances for him.

It's like saying Messi is useless based on game against Iceland.
...I was commenting on Belgium as a team, not criticising Lukaku at all. Jumped the gun there pal.

roonster09

Scout
...I was commenting on Belgium as a team, not criticising Lukaku at all. Jumped the gun there pal.
Oh I see, still point is they create loads of chances. Yesterday was weird though, everyone wanted to be hero.

ti vu

Very true. That said it is clear Kane and Lukaku are not late bloombers. They are already there and Lukaku fits the Wunderkind label, of which many depreciate when supposedly in their prime years. Anyways I am routing for Rom to get the Golden boot, more so for his confidence and perhaps to show Jose what he can do when used properly (not target man) and given lots of service. let him play on the shoulder and just thread balls and crosses to him.
How do you know he wouldn't have another development spurt later on? Some people are dead on something as every body is the same and you can use some maths to make sense of everything. There are players who can improve/add to their game even in so called declining FM age.

Cassidy

Playing at a higher level, can make them better. Lukaku first season in the UCL was this year, Kane is also relatively new to the competition. They can both still improve

Stacks

How do you know he wouldn't have another development spurt later on? Some people are dead on something as every body is the same and you can use some maths to make sense of everything. There are players who can improve/add to their game even in so called declining FM age.
Playing at a higher level, can make them better. Lukaku first season in the UCL was this year, Kane is also relatively new to the competition. They can both still improve
I am referring to the "late bloomer" quote of which neither are. I also, do indeed use a mathematical algorithm. I neither subscribe to the idea that playing group stage games of the CL will make them better. The CL is just a stage to prove to everyone what they already are.

Cassidy

I am referring to the "late bloomer" quote of which neither are. I also, do indeed use a mathematical algorithm. I neither subscribe to the idea that playing group stage games of the CL will make them better. The CL is just a stage to prove to everyone what they already are.
I wasn't talking about group stage games... playing against better defenders will make them better players.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Hazard talking utter cak. Should look at his own selfish first half performance, which included trying to take on the whole defence constantly.

Minimalist

Hazard talking utter cak. Should look at his own selfish first half performance, which included trying to take on the whole defence constantly.
Ah dear. Hope Rom keeps calm and doesn't eat the little lad.

Hojoon

I doubt he actually said that (at least in public), this would have blown up by now. Daily Mail quoting The Sun is anything but reliable.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018

Wow. This shit is why Belgium will continue to be less than the sum of their parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.