6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

deafepl

Okay but that's because KDB has had an amazing season and Pogba not so much so (considering his ability). The current state is Pogba has to prove himself and De Bruyne has already proved himself. If Pogba puts in a few more of those shifts he did versus Argentina I have no doubts expert alike would start creaming over him.
Pogba had brilliant starts to the season before he gets injured, it is not like he can just return from that major injury that lasts 2 months and suddenly dominate a lot of games, it's not because he hadn't had a great season but it was down to rest of the teammate as well, his position is unfixed and a lot of change made over during season, DLP, CDM, CM, advanced CM in 3, etc. However, yeah KDB had an amazing season because City had the best season ever they had in history so it helps KDB as well. For Belgium, he is average compared to Pogba in the world cup, Pogba put a nice performance in 3 games for the world cup, Argentina game was his best performance in world cup 2018.

If anything, Pogba needs to improve is just his consistency but the likes of Sanchez, Martial and Co need to improve off-ball movement and making a run so he can find a space otherwive he would hang on balls longer.

arthurka

What the hell is wrong with people nowadays? They seem to have this skewed perspective on players. I don't think there have been more than 5-10 players that have had the kind of World Cup where they're a 9 out of 10 or better from start to finish. No players in their Club teams routinely play 6 games in a row at their absolute best level. Form fluctuates.

Lukaku is having a great World Cup. He's crucial to Belgiums chances in the competition and he's their most important player. Hazard is their biggest talent. De Bruyne a close second. But Lukaku is absolutely essential to them playing their best football.

Beyond that, I think he's shown immense improvement in the 12 months since he signed for us. He's a better player than the one we signed. Looking forward to seeing how he does against the Brazilians.
Great post .

Vanrouge

I was getting all kinds of texts about him being crap and the worst player on the pitch etc;. Same with Pogba the other day. People are just obsessed with United and negative about anything or anybody connected to the club.
Yeah, I don't want to get too far into paranoia territory, but it sure does seem that there's an agenda with many observers.

Ashley R1+O

A sign of his towering football intellect to pull off that move late in a game, the smart run and then the dummy right on full time. What a superb striker and likable leader as well. In a few years will be our skipper, bank that.

Micky Targaryen

You may be a fan of this kind of 'leadership', I think it's demonstrated through leadership on the pitch. Performance levels inspire players. If you think Gerrard gathering players round in a huddle in front of the cameras was inspiring, then we can agree to disagree, it should be done in the dressing room. Doing it on the pitch smacks of 'look at me' and I don't see any difference with Lukaku doing it. Do it behind closed doors. Inspire on the pitch by putting the ball in the net.

As for giving my season ticket up, that's an unnecessary comment really, because I think team talks shouldn't be done for show in front of cameras, should be done in the dressing room, I should give up my season ticket ?

Really ? Do you go ?
Wow, now I've seen it all. Team talks and team huddles shouldn't be done in public. Ignore the atmosphere, ignore the fact that your team just completed an incredible comeback, ignore the team spirit and drive, just ignore it all because if you're gonna do a team huddle, you're just gonna look like an attention seeking fool. Yep, got it.

God forbid other sports teams that do this on a daily basis too.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
:lol: Genius? The hyperbole has gone a bit too far now.
How many forwards - players - would have the awareness to leave the ball to a player in an advantageous position in the 94th minute in a knockout tie of the World Cup? That piece of play on its own is seriously intelligent football.

Trizy

Was good yesterday apart from finishing but funnily enough finishing is the best part of his game so I wouldn't worry about that going forward. Big Rom has well and truly won me over as a player. His progress in the space of a year at 24 (not 16-18) has been immense. As for United, we just need more creative players.

Murray3007

How many forwards - players - would have the awareness to leave the ball to a player in an advantageous position in the 94th minute in a knockout tie of the World Cup? That piece of play on its own is seriously intelligent football.
would imagine most professionals would do this is they get a shout from the man behind, unless your a player like Ronaldo or Neymar who want to make it all about themself's

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Mega. Honestly genius play from Lukaku.
Agreed. He's created the goal without even touching the ball.

Movement like this doesn't get highlighted enough in goals, most pundits only recognise the pass / shot. I was glad to see Klingsmann brought it up and made a big point of it.

No Lukaku didn't have his best night of finishing, but his hold up play was fantastic in the first half, and he kept the defence busy all night. He's really growing as a player.

El Zoido

He’s a top player and it’s about time people recognised it. Honestly the shit Utd players get (Rom, Pogba, Lingard, etc) is absurd and I feel it has a destabilising effect on the team.

MuranoLover

He’s a top player and it’s about time people recognised it. Honestly the shit Utd players get (Rom, Pogba, Lingard, etc) is absurd and I feel it has a destabilising effect on the team.
Well, Pogba is really shit

Andersons Dietician

didn’t have the best of games but the part I liked the most was at the end he gathered the Belgium squad they formed a circle and he was at the centre of it leading the lot of them. He was giving a speech, he should be our captain. This year he might not have been effective as he was for Everton but his leadership skills came on leaps and bounds.

Vanrouge

he just seems to do it alot in high pressure games is prob the point he's trying to make
It's funny. I was skeptical when we bought him, and he didn't win me over until fairly recently, so I'm far from a Lukaku fanboy, but now I've acknowledged his contributions I feel like he's not given the same benefit of the doubt other players often get. It kind of reminds me of Andy Cole, who never won over a significant section of fans due to his "profligacy." I guess it's hard to shake off any kind of reputation. But he's on the same number of goals as Ronaldo in this Word Cup, with a chance to add to that. If he scores against Brazil, will his critics get off his back?

Murray3007

It's funny. I was skeptical when we bought him, and he didn't win me over until fairly recently, so I'm far from a Lukaku fanboy, but now I've acknowledged his contributions I feel like he's not given the same benefit of the doubt other players often get. It kind of reminds me of Andy Cole, who never won over a significant section of fans due to his "profligacy." I guess it's hard to shake off any kind of reputation. But he's on the same number of goals as Ronaldo in this Word Cup, with a chance to add to that. If he scores against Brazil, will his critics get off his back?
apart from chelsea at OT not sure he scored in any other game v the top 6, remeber the game at anfield he missed a sitter and most of the game just stood about, its ok saying hes scored as much goals as Ronaldo but they were against Panama and Tunisia, hardly top team calibre, not sure that would get people of his back till hes performing against the better teams a lot of the time.

SupaFella

Supports
Manchester City
He was pretty good really yesterday even if he didnt score. He made intelligent runs and contributed to the buildup with skill creativity and skill in passing that was refreshing to see from him considering his perceived level atm. With other words he almost had the passing and creativity of a 10 yesterday, great hold up play and sideways passing to incomming wingers on the counters. He is visibly growing a lot at United, thanks for that.

Vanrouge

He was pretty good really yesterday even if he didnt score. He made intelligent runs and contributed to the buildup with skill creativity and skill in passing that was refreshing to see from him considering his perceived level atm. With other words he almost had the passing and creativity of a 10 yesterday, great hold up play and sideways passing to incomming wingers on the counters. He is visibly growing a lot at United, thanks for that.
Agree with this. And you're welcome. ;)

villain

Hates Beyoncé
That run to create the space for Meunier :drool:
The thing is, he does these kind of runs for United all the time - the problem is our braindead players pass him the ball, instead of looking for the open man who he has just created space for.

He's a big basketball fan, and this run reminds me of a pick & roll play, where you pull your defender away from the target area, and allow your teammate to occupy the space you just freed up.

It's intelligent play, we just need better playmakers who can identify when he's making clever runs vs when he's asking for the ball.

Canagel

We don't enough creative players to get the best out of him. Pogba is the only one but he is a central midfielder not a number 10. We desperately need a playmaker that can find little pockets of space in front of defenders and allow Lukaku the chance to make those kind of runs.

haram

Lingard does recognise the spaces Lukaku creates. Lingard also makes movement that benefits others.

When you play a 433 and Lingard is not playing number 10 both him and the team suffer in different ways. Not saying 4231 is better than the 433, but I think people seem to look past Lingard’s role and positioning when we do and dont play with the number 10.

Norris

Lingard does recognise the spaces Lukaku creates. Lingard also makes movement that benefits others.

When you play a 433 and Lingard is not playing number 10 both him and the team suffer in different ways. Not saying 4231 is better than the 433, but I think people seem to look past Lingard’s role and positioning when we do and dont play with the number 10.
A solution would be then to try Lingard in midfield, a bit more advanced than Matic and Pogba. Similar to how England setup.That seems to get aid his play quite a bit. Downside is of course where will Fred play then.

SpyLuke10

A solution would be then to try Lingard in midfield, a bit more advanced than Matic and Pogba. Similar to how England setup.That seems to get aid his play quite a bit. Downside is of course where will Fred play then.
I know this is a bit controversial, but I think Matic and Fred with Lingard ahead could be our best combination in the middle, purely because I don't think we'll see the best from Pogba when he is not the one given the most license to go forward in a midfield 3.

I say why dont we play a narrow 4-4-2 formation.

For example if we can sign Sandro then I'd like to see us line up like this next season:

De Gea
Valencia-Bailly-Smalling-Sandro
Matic
Fred-Pogba
Lingard
Lukaku-Martial

Realistically though Jose would play Sanchez over Martial and maybe Jones over Smalling (or Bailly?!?!?)

Last edited:

Norris

I know this is a bit controversial, but I think Matic and Fred with Lingard ahead could be our best combination in the middle, purely because I don't think we'll see the best from Pogba when he is not the one given the most license to go forward in a midfield 3.

For example if we can sign Sandro then I'd like to see us line up like this next season:

De Gea
Matic
Fred-Pogba
Lingard
Lukaku-Martial

Realistically though Jose would play Sanchez over Martial and maybe Jones over Smalling (or Bailly?!?!?)
Yeah, I like the idea of a diamond as well, however I am not sure Jose fancies having two strikers upfront. A slight twist to that, which I would really like to see would be a 4-3-2-1, almost a pyramid like Shape, where you have 5 midfielders packing the centre. But like you said, you would need a genuine wide player at full back who is capable of crossing, beating his man and obviously, very comfortable with his defensive duties.

Team would look something like this

DDG
Dalot-Bailly-Smalling-New LB
Fred-Matic-Pogba
Lingard-Sanchez
Lukaku

It's not vastly different from Jose's 4-3-3, but we don't really use a front 3 with typical wingers or inside forwards.

I think this formation would bring out the best in Sanchez as well, since he will be more central and much like Lingard, can cause problems with his movement and incisiveness. The two Attacking Mids will have the freedom to roam the entirety of the attacking side of the pitch being ably supported by a more rigid trio. It will give Pogba the room to move front and occupy spaces vacated by Sanchez as well and the same applies to Fred. Especially considering the likes of Sanchez and Lingard are not averse to tracking back, there is a certain safety net for someone like Pogba in case of counter-attacks.

The obvious problem is defending in the flanks, where the full-back is likely to be outnumbered. But I think if we have a compact back four with the inner CB covering a full back and obviously Matic going very central and playing as a 3rd CB almost, combined with a high defensive line and if De Gea finally does change his game to be more aggressive when there are loose balls near his box and play a sweeper-ish keeper, we could still be very potent defensively.

Just brainstorming though. Sanchez and Lingard and Rashford too always try and pick out Lukaku, so having them in areas closer to the striker would help in the continuity of the play rather than trying ambitious through balls or crosses which are always a hit and miss with those three.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

De Gea
Matic
Fred-Pogba
Lingard
Lukaku-Martial

Yep it fits our players the best, I'd like to see us nail down a formation this year and really get good at it, rather than chopping and changing.

buckooo1978

love Lukaku

he'd score Kane numbers under a more attacking manager and his attitude is superb

his all round game has certainly improved- we need to be giving him more service next season

Status
Not open for further replies.