6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanrouge

Anyone else watch this on TSN in Canada? The normally fairly astute pundits were highly critical of Lukaku. I mean, going out of their way to single him out for pointed criticism. I don't get it. He didn't have his best game, finishing-wise, but he was a big part of that performance, and that dummy alone is worth all the accolades.

IrishRedDevil

Fantastic images of him being in the middle of the player circle doing the teamtalk before AND after the game. True captain material clearly respected by all teammates even the more experienced older ones.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
You may be a fan of this kind of 'leadership', I think it's demonstrated through leadership on the pitch. Performance levels inspire players. If you think Gerrard gathering players round in a huddle in front of the cameras was inspiring, then we can agree to disagree, it should be done in the dressing room. Doing it on the pitch smacks of 'look at me' and I don't see any difference with Lukaku doing it. Do it behind closed doors. Inspire on the pitch by putting the ball in the net.

As for giving my season ticket up, that's an unnecessary comment really, because I think team talks shouldn't be done for show in front of cameras, should be done in the dressing room, I should give up my season ticket ?

Really ? Do you go ?
Listen, I'm a fan of Lukaku being 24 years of age and standing there, being a natural born leader. If you think that's cringy then I don't really know what to say to you. Gerrard wasn't the first player to do it and Lukaku isn't the last.

NYAS

You may be a fan of this kind of 'leadership', I think it's demonstrated through leadership on the pitch. Performance levels inspire players. If you think Gerrard gathering players round in a huddle in front of the cameras was inspiring, then we can agree to disagree, it should be done in the dressing room. Doing it on the pitch smacks of 'look at me' and I don't see any difference with Lukaku doing it. Do it behind closed doors. Inspire on the pitch by putting the ball in the net.

As for giving my season ticket up, that's an unnecessary comment really, because I think team talks shouldn't be done for show in front of cameras, should be done in the dressing room, I should give up my season ticket ?

Really ? Do you go ?
Top red alert!

In before the “better fan than you” post.

clarkydaz

Anyone else watch this on TSN in Canada? The normally fairly astute pundits were highly critical of Lukaku. I mean, going out of their way to single him out for pointed criticism. I don't get it. He didn't have his best game, finishing-wise, but he was a big part of that performance, and that dummy alone is worth all the accolades.
main striker missed important chances, wheres the confusion?

Zoo

He missed one big chance. They should be slamming Vertonghen and De Bruyne too then.

Vanrouge

main striker missed important chances, wheres the confusion?
Confusion? None from me. I think they were plain wrong. You'd have to ignore the other aspects of his game to single him out as Belgium's worst player. For that run and dummy alone he had a massive impact.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Think he was frustrated coming back from this abomination of a first half and Hazard's exploits. Still, missed 2 good chances. They need to play wide from the word go instead of switching to it in the second half. This tournament favours wide play. Martinez has to have a word with Hazard, too. Let him know he may not be the figure he is at Chelsea.

I still liked Lukaku's performance somehow and think he's been by far the best no. 9 in this WC.

clarkydaz

Confusion? None from me. I think they were plain wrong. You'd have to ignore the other aspects of his game to single him out as Belgium's worst player. For that run and dummy alone he had a massive impact.
I don't know how bad they were coming down on him but its to be expected. If Belgium didn't score at the death he would be under a lot more scrutiny

Pat Evra

Wow I didn't even notice the run till now. Brilliant stuff by Rom.
I came here to comment this, but I am glad it is already acknowledged. He was so amazing in that goal, did everything just perfect. Well done, big man.

He did cost me winning some money with no scoring though, but I am glad for him and really looking forward to that game against Brazil.

Kazi

He missed one big chance. They should be slamming Vertonghen and De Bruyne too then.
Vertonghen? Really?

Pretty sure De Bruyne has been getting slammed all evening. I even saw De Cleverley in the match thread.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He had a poor game in truth, but his awareness for the winning goal was sensational.

He also appears to be the teams captain, despite not having the armband. Future United captain perhaps?

Tomuś

I fear that's his chances for the top goalscorer gone. I love Rom but I can imagine him being swarmed by a typical Brazil big game performance and going out in quarters. Kane's one ahead and even if Lukaku scores, he may well continue scoring penos or being hit in the ankle and whatnot. Or actually score a good goal for a change?

Pity as I think Lukaku's been overall the best no.9 comfortably.

Classical Mechanic

He was pretty much handled by a defence he should have bullied. He was excellent on the winning goal though which is the most important thing.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Didn't know they were all United fans...

Vanrouge

I don't know how bad they were coming down on him but its to be expected. If Belgium didn't score at the death he would be under a lot more scrutiny
But they did score, and Lukaku played a key part in it. It's not so much the criticism that bothered me, that's fine and perfectly arguable, but it's the singling out part, especially given his key role in the winning goal.

fanutd

I don't understand what you're saying. Who are you referring to as United fans?
He is implying that our fans are overly critical of Lukaku and don't give him the plaudits that he deserves, kinda like TSN Canada "pundits". I agree with him.

clarkydaz

But they did score, and Lukaku played a key part in it. It's not so much the criticism that bothered me, that's fine and perfectly arguable, but it's the singling out part, especially given his key role in the winning goal.
ok but good play in the 93rd minute doesn't wipe the slate if you miss some big chances in a big game, its to be expected. its no different the criticism he gets for us. He just aint that clinical

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Top red alert!

In before the “better fan than you” post.

What's that got to do with top red. Top red is being seen to back everything the club say and do, everything the manager says and does.

I was told to give my season ticket up because I don't want to see the kind of fake leadership take seed at United.

Therefore should the person who thinks I should give my season ticket up, be a season ticket holder themselves.....would they really give it up because they didn't like a single aspect at the club ?

That was my point.

Did you disagree with that sentiment, or are you just a fan of Lukaku to the extent that you'd want him gathering United players round in a circle at the end of games giving pep talks ?

Tomuś

He is implying that our fans are overly critical of Lukaku and don't give him the plaudits that he deserves, kinda like TSN Canada "pundits". I agree with him.
I don't think our fans don't appreciate him anymore. It's just maybe this WC that some of them have gone to 'Kane' camp so seeing plenty of people ridiculing Kane's hat-trick against Panama, they see Rom as the direct competitor (which is correct). Considering Lukaku's squandered two good chances against Japan they have the amunition.

Still think it's vast minority, the rest of us love and rate Lukaku highly.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Some unnecessary criticism. Not one player in the tournament has been brilliant in each game they've played. He was fairly isolated in the first half, and the 'chance' he missed was defended very cleverly by Yoshida imo.

Not a brilliant game for sure, but not the worst I've seen from a striker this WC.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Precisely

Didn't have his best game and certainly should have buried his one great chance but when the time came for him to make a decisive contribution, he did. It took massive guts and presence of mind for a #9 to not force the shot at the end. And let's not underestimate the ability for him to be making a lung-busting run in the 94th minute or to drag the defender away to create the right space. No striker is ever perfect all the time but on that counter, he was and it made the difference. The fact that he did it without scoring the goal says a lot about his abilities.

Inter Yer Nan

I was getting all kinds of texts about him being crap and the worst player on the pitch etc;. Same with Pogba the other day. People are just obsessed with United and negative about anything or anybody connected to the club.

MetoTTT

What a beast and a true team player! He'll become a complete striker! Excellent!

Crimson King

I was getting all kinds of texts about him being crap and the worst player on the pitch etc;. Same with Pogba the other day. People are just obsessed with United and negative about anything or anybody connected to the club.
Do your mates really text you when a United player isn't performing to their best in an international?

That's next level sad.

Ainu

He missed a good chance in this game but he had been very clinical up to that point. No striker has a 100% conversion rate. He played well considering the extremely poor service he was given and the dummy at the end was great. He's been brilliant for us.

MrPooni

Do your mates really text you when a United player isn't performing to their best in an international?

That's next level sad.
It's pretty normal to be involved in multiple Snapchat/WhatsApp/Twitter DM groups with your mates nowadays and they usually bring a lot of live, reactionary commentary like @Inter Yer Nan is referring to.

Inter Yer Nan

That's next level sad.
Yes, every single game a United player played this world cup and all getting slated. Even the games were they'e played well and contributed positively like Pogba and Fellaini. Every win is in spite of them and every result that's not a win is because of them. It's next level obsession and delusion.

IrishRedDevil

Yes, every single game a United player played this world cup and all getting slated. Even the games were they'e played well and contributed positively like Pogba and Fellaini. Every win is in spite of them and every result that's not a win is because of them. It's next level obsession and delusion.
Same here, my Liverpool supporting mates are the worst. They had a big laugh when Fellaini come on tonight, then the big man went and stuck one into the net and silence followed. It’s funny as when he signed his new contract they all laughed and said he was useless, I said he’s a decent squad option at the time and tonight replied simply saying ‘useful’. Spain’s elimination was all De Gea’s fault apparently and Henderson has been better than Pogba :houllier: One of them did praise Lukaku tonight which was surprising from him, so credit where it’s due.

Inter Yer Nan

Same here, my Liverpool supporting mates are the worst. They had a big laugh when Fellaini come on tonight, then the big man went and stuck one into the net and silence followed. Spain’s elimination was all De Gea’s fault and Henderson has been better than Pogba apparently. Sad and obsessive.
Yeah, they can't tell me enough how bad Pogba has been and how funny Lukaku's performance was today and then when Fellaini came on. Funny thing is they were all rooting for Belgium too and still talked crap at the end saying it was all KDB.

I got "Has a United player done anything at this world cup?".

deafepl

He has improved dramatically at a young age, if we can sort out our service, he'll be in for a treat and will score more and become one of the best strikers in the world. I think he is currently best performer in the world cup as No. 9.

deafepl

Yeah, they can't tell me enough how bad Pogba has been and how funny Lukaku's performance was today and then when Fellaini came on. Funny thing is they were all rooting for Belgium too and still talked crap at the end saying it was all KDB.

I got "Has a United player done anything at this world cup?".

KDB played badly in 2 midfield and he was walking and watch Japnese player trying to take a shot, he didn't even bother to stop him from shooting outside box when it was obvious. If it was Pogba he would get more criticized and If it was KDB playing like Pogba against Argentina, he'd be winning a man of match and media would be wanking over him and call him one of best midfielder in the world.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
KDB played badly in 2 midfield and he was walking and watch Japnese player trying to take a shot, he didn't even bother to stop him from shooting outside box when it was obvious. If it was Pogba he would get more criticized and If it was KDB playing like Pogba against Argentina, he'd be winning a man of match and media would be wanking over him and call him one of best midfielder in the world.
Okay but that's because KDB has had an amazing season and Pogba not so much so (considering his ability). The current state is Pogba has to prove himself and De Bruyne has already proved himself. If Pogba puts in a few more of those shifts he did versus Argentina I have no doubts expert alike would start creaming over him.

Inter Yer Nan

True, yeah KDB played a big part in the winner but was poor today. Pogba was superb the other day in the second half. Funny thing is I watched the game with mates that hate United and Pogba and were slating him and said his pass that split the defense on the 4th goal was poor and got criticized for it but they creamed over KDB today. Same people said France had no chance (they are Messi fanboys/Ronaldo haters) and that Belgium should walk over Japan.

I think the media's shite about Pogba has gotten too far and because he hasn't had a great start at United he's written off and I don't think will ever be truly respected by followers of the English game. It's like people expect him to be a holding midfielder/box to box midfielder/no 10 and a striker all in one and must score every game. That will always make them elevate other players who have talent much like KDB.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
What the hell is wrong with people nowadays? They seem to have this skewed perspective on players. I don't think there have been more than 5-10 players that have had the kind of World Cup where they're a 9 out of 10 or better from start to finish. No players in their Club teams routinely play 6 games in a row at their absolute best level. Form fluctuates.

Lukaku is having a great World Cup. He's crucial to Belgiums chances in the competition and he's their most important player. Hazard is their biggest talent. De Bruyne a close second. But Lukaku is absolutely essential to them playing their best football.

Beyond that, I think he's shown immense improvement in the 12 months since he signed for us. He's a better player than the one we signed. Looking forward to seeing how he does against the Brazilians.

Status
Not open for further replies.