6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jungledrums

LOL what??? Agenda driven, I don't fecking work in the media. I made personal opinion on a football forum, you need to get a fecking grip.
Right, only those that work in the media can have an agenda? If you confidently state false opinions as facts, don't have a fecking whinge when you get called out on it.

Ban

I would like to see that 'ton' of chances he has missed. Also whoever says he's a poor footballer has been watching wrong games and some other player instead of Lukaku.

Oh and I love finding out posts. We will be found out, Lukaku especially....

Shark

@NotShark
Yeh I do think Morata is a better player.

Lukaku had a good start but let's see if he can do in the big games against the top sides. So far he's done it against teams we've expected to beat.
What do you mean by ''expected to beat''? We certainly didn't beat many teams of the caliber we've faced so far, last season. Especially at home. Also let's completely erase what he's done against big sides for Everton and West Brom, because it fits your tired argument. If anything, Morata still has far more to prove.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What are on about? It's an article that shows he has a lower scoring percentage than the other top strikers against the top 6 teams last season.
It's inaccurate as they are considering 2 seasons and in both seasons top 6 wasn't the same. Chelsea and Liverpool were not in top 6 in 2015-16 season, Southampton and Leicester were in top 6. So considering all that Lukaku scored 8 goals in 22 games, Kane scored 8 goals in 19 games. Big difference eh?

There is no reason to consider fixed top 6, it doesn't make any sense at all.

Jagga7

Right, only those that work in the media can have an agenda? If you confidently state false opinions as facts, don't have a fecking whinge when you get called out on it.
lol how can my opinion on a subjective matter be false?? It's my opinion, fair enough you don't agree with it but you can't call my opinion false just because you don't agree with it. You're open to debate it but just coming out and calling it horrendous and agenda driven is incredibly small minded.

Loublaze

ATLien

Lukaku had a good start but let's see if he can do in the big games against the top sides. So far he's done it against teams we've expected to beat.
This is rubbish. United struggled against some smaller teams as you know. Lukaku's finishing against them should turn more than half of last season's draws into wins. Liverpool have topped the top 6 league for the last two seasons. Where has it got them?

Ban

lol how can my opinion on a subjective matter be false?? It's my opinion, fair enough you don't agree with it but you can't call my opinion false just because you don't agree with it. You're open to debate it but just coming out and calling it horrendous and agenda driven is incredibly small minded.
OK its not false. You're just making things up.

Shark

@NotShark
It's fair enough if you don't rate Lukaku, but your reasons for doing so, from what I've read sound like a copy and paste job from The Daily Star. Maybe try actually watching players, and making your own mind up on things. Then you might not be called out for rehashing thrash.

jungledrums

The numbers were proven inaccurate though? That's what I'm suggesting was false. The rest is your opinion, yes, but I have no idea how you can criticise his performances. I actually think he's been our player of the season so far, by quite a distance. Gets in behind, links play at feet, creates chances, and honestly is far better than expected at passing and dribbling. His big game record is comparable to every other top CF in the league, so again, you can hardly criticise him by that logic.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I just googled his record against top 6 teams and unsurprisingly it's pretty woeful. 5 goals in 35 games. Hopefully I get proved wrong but I'm not impressed as much as some of the forum.
That's clearly wrong?

Zoo

Let's see if Morata can do it because so far he hasn't managed to do.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Let's see if Morata can do it because so far he hasn't managed to do.
Yeah. He's hailing Morata while pointing out Lukaku hasn't scored against top teams when at least Lukaku hasn't done it because he hasn't got a chance. Morata has played twice against top 6 teams and was quite poor in both games.

Jagga7

Yeah. He's hailing Morata while pointing out Lukaku hasn't scored against top teams when at least Lukaku hasn't done it because he hasn't got a chance. Morata has played twice against top 6 teams and was quite poor in both games.
That wasn't my point though. That was just afterwards checking the stats, my original opinion was that I don't think Lukaku is a great footballer or a top striker and unless he starts producing against top sides I won't change that opinion.

Morata for me is far more intelligent player who has great pace and movement.

Only in time we will see if i am incredibly wrong about Lukaku which most you seem to think.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
That wasn't my point though. That was just afterwards checking the stats, my original opinion was that I don't think Lukaku is a great footballer or a top striker and unless he starts producing against top sides I won't change that opinion.

Only in time we will see if i am incredibly wrong about Lukaku which most you seem to think.
He has produced against top sides.

Lukaku also has lots of pace. He's nowhere near as useless and terrible as you think.

GrandJury

I have faith that even if United have done nothing all game he can pop up and score a goal.

Awesome player.

iamherenow

what defines intelligence?..lukaku gave a sublime assist to mhcki the other day,if he isn't *intelligent*,he shouldn't be able to pull it off.and what makes morata more intelligent?..

Hojoon

The notion he'd find it harder at United than he did at Everton is starting to look a bit silly.
I think there were some understandable fears but it was definitely overblown by large sections, for some reason a lot of people forgot Lukaku played under two managers who are at best questionable in Martinez and Koeman.

Loublaze

ATLien

I've read this 'Morata is way more intelligent' nonsense before. Is it Because he's white and Spanish? Lukakus record in their overall careers shits on Moratas

James Peril

The argument that certain players have to produce against top sides is oftentimes unbalanced at best. Even Cristiano Ronaldo had it against him for a long period of times, just as a last resort and clutching straws argument.
What matters is that United have a good record vs. the big boys relative to what they get in total against each other. What is important for Lukaku is that he scores in 20 games this season if he remains fit - that he has a 80% ratio pr. game played, which means 30 goals if playing 38 games. If he does that, he will score against the big boys as well - it would be extremely strange if he didn't. If we score 50 goals against the weaker sides and Lukaku scores 20 of them, he will most likely score around eight if we score 20 against the best sides. Or he can suddenly score five goals against Arsenal and leave out all arguments after the season, and at the same time he can suddenly be injured for that game and coincidence dictates a worse record. A good strikers scores goals though, it mostly depends on the supply for a player like Lukaku - we have to remember he is not technically in the same bracket as the best strikers in the world.

Ainu

Consistently beating teams you're expected to beat is how you win titles. Even if that would be his only contribution this season, it would be invaluable. On top of that, his record against big teams are perfectly adequate considering the teams he was playing in. It points to a realistic expectation that he will do some damage in big games this season.

What are on about? It's an article that shows he has a lower scoring percentage than the other top strikers against the top 6 teams last season.
While also playing in vastly inferior sides compared to those players. Surely that has to count for something.

Why don't you just give the benefit of doubt to a player who's made a dream start to his United career? No one expects you to call him world class, and I don't even think anyone has called him that anyway. I just don't see the point of this excessive negativity.

Jagga7

I've read this 'Morata is way more intelligent' nonsense before. Is it Because he's white and Spanish? Lukakus record in their overall careers shits on Moratas
Only a complete moron would bring race into this. That's such an absurd thing to even think.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Can't be anything but pleased with him so far. I don't think it was ever in doubt that he'd score goals here.

I still maintain that I feel he has very poor ball skills though. When the game quickens and compresses into a tight space, brain and feet seem to lose coordination. It is frustrating at times, as the little lay-off round the corner he's been asked to make will open up the attack for us.

Still, I am pleased, because I never expected much silk to his game. What he's supposed to be good at, he's been good at - so no arguments. He's also good at some of the most important things.

Loublaze

ATLien
what defines intelligence?..lukaku gave a sublime assist to mhcki the other day,if he isn't *intelligent*,he shouldn't be able to pull it off.and what makes morata more intelligent?..
I'd like to know as well.

I'd rather have the 'far less intelligent' player who puts the ball in the back of the net on a much more regular basis

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
He is a good player but I am just not convinced. He has so much work to do on his game. In a way its a great proposition that he's already so productive and hes not even the finished product yet. On the other hand its very possible he wont improve much more now.

Here's my problem. Amongst the starting strikers for the top 10 teams in the world, where does Lukaku rank?

Real - Benzema
Barca - Suarez
Atleti - Griezman
Bayern - Lewandowski
Dortmund - Aubemayang
Juventus - Dybala/Higz
PSG - Cavani/Neymar
City - Aguero
Chelsea - Morata
United - Lukaku

He has got to be in the bottom 1 or 2 in that list?

Secondly, during our recent dominant teams, we always had great strikers. Ruud, Rooney, Vp, Tevez. Lukaku is well below those strikers.

He is definitely good enough to lead us to the title. But I think if we are ever to be a top team in europe, he wouldnt be good enough.

His finishing is very average. He gets a lot of goals due to his instincts and hunger but he is far from a good finisher. He is extremely wasteful. His movement isnt really intelligent enough. His hold up play needs work. He is a physical specimen and he has great desire but I feel he is not quite good enough to lead us all the way
If an average finisher gets 25 league goals in a season playing for Everton then the premier league must be really shit.

RedCurry

One thing that has gone unnoticed since Lukaku's arrival is how he immediately pushes the opposition about 10-12 yards back. He's got pace to get in behind and finishing to punish you if you let him in. If he receives the ball and starts running at the defense, it takes two or three defenders to stop him. When Mkhitaryan gets the ball and Lukaku is in front of him, the entire opposition defense starts to retreat. Still could improve a lot of things but he's showing his quality.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
That's really silly of you to say. I am not sure I agree with it or not but when people say Morata is intelligent they mean he relies on creativity to make decisions whereas Lukaku doesn't since he has the luxury of direct pace and power.

OverratedOpinion

If an average finisher gets 25 league goals in a season playing for Everton then the premier league must be really shit.
That is one thing people ignore when comparing him to others, he has been playing for Everton and West Brom for most of his career and he is still nowhere near his prime. Despite this he has had a scoring record which is borderline elite, we really don't know where he stands in terms of comparison. What we do know is that since he has moved to a top club he has scored a goal a game.

Dobbs

I think there were some understandable fears but it was definitely overblown by large sections, for some reason a lot of people forgot Lukaku played under two managers who are at best questionable in Martinez and Koeman.
Concerns about his ability sure. Tactical naval gazing though I don't get. All this "He can't play in this system or that system." Well that's been put to bed.

You see the same being said now of Martial and Rashford. Martial can only play in LvG's system, Rashford can't play against a deep lying defense etc etc.

All a bunch of nonsense.

Sara125

He's had a great start but I think most of you are getting extremely carried away. He's no way as good as half of you are making him out to be.
So I guess his 8 in 8 run is just luck? Or what, a coincidence? Help me out here.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Can we NOT bring up race or accuse someone of racism just because of an opinion about intelligent play. :rolleyes:

Treble

He is not our best player but he may be our most important right now because we very much depend on him consistently getting goals.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's improving. His first games with us, it looked like he's struggling to even control the ball. Now he's better at it, and can even make good pass (Mkhi, Herrera).

Adding those to his fierce determination, he's exactly the type of striker that Mou thrives on.

Although there are better strikers out there (Kane, and maybe Morata), I'm satisfied with Lukaku's performance. He is a quality player with the standard of top teams.

Dobbs

He's improving. His first games with us, it looked like he's struggling to even control the ball. Now he's better at it, and can even make good pass (Mkhi, Herrera).

Adding those to his fierce determination, he's exactly the type of striker that Mou thrives on.

Although there are better strikers out there (Kane, and maybe Morata), I'm satisfied with Lukaku's performance. He is a quality player with the standard of top teams.
Do you really think he's improved his skill level across just six games?

I don't think he's better at anything yet. He was scoring and linking up the play like this all last season.

RedCurry

At the start of a season, players can struggle a little bit because they are still trying to build fitness. But it would be harsh to say that he couldn't even control the ball. He's been amongst the goal since the very first game for us. If anything both Kane and Morata struggled a lot more than Lukaku at the start of the season.

Akshay

Staff
this. i think it's a matter of subconscious racism to treat every comment as race-induced
How is it racism to think that someone else's comment might be racist?

That's really silly of you to say. I am not sure I agree with it or not but when people say Morata is intelligent they mean he relies on creativity to make decisions whereas Lukaku doesn't since he has the luxury of direct pace and power.
Should be noted that the same poster is also claiming that Morata has great pace and Lukaku doesn't. I'll admit I'm a bit baffled as to how a player with poor finishing, poor movement and low intelligence managed to finish 4th and 2nd in the PL scoring charts in the last two seasons. Imagine if he learned how to shoot or run!

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
How is it racism to think that someone else's comment might be racist?

Should be noted that the same poster is also claiming that Morata has great pace and Lukaku doesn't. I'll admit I'm a bit baffled as to how a player with poor finishing, poor movement and low intelligence managed to finish 4th and 2nd in the PL scoring charts in the last two seasons. Imagine if he learned how to shoot or run!
Because no matter what their opinion was on the matter it had nothing to do with race. Just leave that nonsense out of the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.