Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
He's not going to be a direct number 10 yeah, but I said before he's going to be more pushed forward on the field more than the other midfielders.

I think we'll still sign a LW, but most probably not Perisic.
Yeah, that's what I don't agree. Pogba will sit mostly in a midfield two. Agree with the winger, just not so sure it's for the left.

Nick7

It was a joke as you can get a compilation for even the best players having shocking touches. But Zlatan had so few terrible touches that I remember the ones he did have. Zlatan is technically better there is no point arguing about that.
woosh straight over my head then. my bad

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I can't believe the reaction to this. I thought people would be over the moon but it seems most are complainin.

Why do you care about the fee? If the club feel they can spend £75m on a player who will get us 20-30 goals a season, I am fine with it. He's comfortably capable of hitting that and goals are worth a lot. He's also a very talented player, scored 25 goals in his last league season and 18 the season before at a young age. He's always been close to 1 in 2 ratio in Premier League and actually went to 2 in 3 last season. Drogba is said to be his idol and Drogba was not at this level at 24, he could still improve and if we are getting the next Drogba for £75m, I am over the moon with that.
What fee they were expecting btw? You can't get a more PL proven striker than Lukaku at this rate.

onemanarmy

That might be a concern in the long term i.e. burnout. Rooney has suffered from it, and so has Cesc to a certain degree.
He's 24, and people are talking about burnouts? Christ... If we can get 5 good years out of him, I'll be over the moon.

el3mel

Yeah, that's what I don't agree. Pogba will sit mostly in a midfield two. Agree with the winger, just not so sure it's for the left.
I don't think we'll play with only 2 midfielders unless we fail to sign a DM this summer. Anyway we'll know for sure what our plans are during the pre-season.

EyeInTheSky

woosh straight over my head then. my bad
It's almost like he has too much power without the finesse at times. I am hoping that under Jose(assuming we sign him) he can get a bit more disciplined and hustle the oppo modified into rushing their passes rather than just waiting around for a through pass and hope to power past a defender. Nees to add to his overall game.

Chip

Strange how this has gone completely quiet. And what should we believe?

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Well, you didn't have to bother then, did you? Maybe it'll be fine and dandy for the games when we do need two strikers to avoid another draw?
Why stop at 2 then? What if the both of them cant score? Lets get 5 just to be sure.

WPMUFC

that it's done? We don't brief the press on "maybe transfers". The latest update from Paul Joyce, basically the top merseyside journo says it's done.

IT'S DONE :lol:

Moonwalker

Well, one thing's for sure, this did not happen quickly. We can walk the cat back now all the way to his interview (ages ago) in which he was certain he'd leave and sounded like he knew the destination as well. Everton started spending this money some time ago too, the only thing that did happen quickly is the reporting on the whole thing, because once again the media were completely clueless about it.

It just goes to show, that constant moaning about a lack of 'transfer activity' is completely ill-founded. There's want of you being informed about the activity, rather than the activity itself, and that's no one's fault but the fans.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Why stop at 2 then? What if the both of them cant score? Lets get 5 just to be sure.
We lost two (very important) players on an otherwise already short of numbers attacking squad, in a season where we couldn't find the goal. Of course, one striker is more than enough.

Infestissumam

25 league goals and not a single penalty among them. That's seriously impressive. 5 of Kane's 29 league goals were penalties, so nobody scored more from open play than Lukaku.

WhoDaGOAT

He's 24, and people are talking about burnouts? Christ... If we can get 5 good years out of him, I'll be over the moon.
For that price, you want to see value. Rooney, Ronaldo and Rio type value.

If he doesn't completely flop this season, I'll be over the moon. High expectations and a big price tag.

NickSantigo

You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Haven't been able to follow the thread, logging into 40-50 new pages. Still a wee bit ambivalent about this but as long as he gets the goals and rectifies our major problem it'd be great.

@SilentWitness @BigDunc9

Apologies if you've been tagged already or if this has been discussed already.

Just wondering if our approach or our attacking personnel are conducive to Lukaku's style myself. The likes of Mkhitaryan, Mata, Rashford, Martial etc prefer cutting in from wider areas and aren't exactly renowned for their service from out wide. Likewise Valencia (although he's improved vastly last season but is not a great source of supply imo) and Shaw aren't exactly great crossers themselves. Blind is arguably our best crosser but doesn't play LB much.

That is not to pigeonhole Lukaku as a limited and an exclusive aerially oriented goalscorer. He's certainly got a nice finish and pretty deceptive pace on him, and is capable of scoring various types of goals. However, he does seem like the sort of forward who'd prefer playing in a more wide-ish system with a decent supply of service from wide, as opposed to a more centrally oriented system with more narrow-ish forwards.

Now I'm no expert on him or Everton for that matter, so would really appreciate it if you could shed some light on these issues whilst providing some insight into Everton's style of play (how integral were the likes of Coleman-Baines, and to a much lesser extent Delofeu and Mirallas, to Everton and Lukaku, and whether he'd be able to adapt to a more central system, his link-up play etc).

Cheers.

Last edited:
Paul Joyce Lukaku Update

WPMUFC

** Romelu Lukaku is still expected to become a Manchester United player, despite Everton saying no deal has been agreed.

** The initial fee Manchester United will pay for Romelu Lukaku is £75m, but add-ons will increase the fee.

** Romelu Lukaku was due back for pre-season training today, but he's stayed in Los Angeles with the club's permission.

** It is likely that Romelu Lukaku will have a Manchester United medical in Los Angeles and agree a £200,000-a-week wage.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...-fee-with-everton-for-romelu-lukaku-2hchjmnnj

@Raoul can we have this threadmarked?

He's the top merseyside journo and it doesn't get much more credible than paul joyce.

RedCurry

Naturally, Lukaku is now deemed useless across all platforms. :lol:

Le'ts just choose to ignore the fact that Lukaku has played nearly thrice the amount of minutes and Giroud was primarily used as a super sub. I love per 90 minute stats without context.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What's your opinion on him as a forward and how will he fit at United?
He's class, each season he has improved from being an all out poacher when at West Brom to a target man player that can hold the ball and is very capable at assisting others and controlling the forward line. His touch is still a downfall on occasions but you managed with Rooney for a decade with that problem pretty alright! I reckon he'll easily hit 30+ goals a season overall.

WhoDaGOAT

25 league goals and not a single penalty among them. That's seriously impressive. 5 of Kane's 29 league goals were penalties, so nobody scored more from open play than Lukaku.
4 against Bournemouth, 4 against Sunderland, 2 against Hull and 1 against Middlesbrough. 2 against Watford as well.

So basically, he loves putting relegation fodder to the sword.

On the other hand, he did well against City, Arsenal and Leicester. And he has a fantastic record against West Ham.

el3mel

4 against Bournemouth, 4 against Sunderland, 2 against Hull and 1 against Middlesbrough. 2 against Watford as well.

So basically, he loves putting relegation fodder to the sword.

On the other hand, he did well against City, Arsenal and Leicester. And he has a fantastic record against West Ham.
Look, you can downplay a striker efforts by anything except what you're saying.

90% of any striker goals in any league will be against bottom half anyway. Can you bring us the records of Costa, Zlatan, Aguero and Sanchez against top 6 teams vs against bottom half ?!

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
His very bad first touch, lack of ability to play with his back against goal and overall link-up play is the reason why I didn't want this to happen. He's probably good enough to get us into top 4 but not a striker to win you the league and be competitive in the champions league with.

If he can't improve on those areas of weakness, he will flop here.

Every time we were going up against Everton people on here were bigging him up to crush Blind, Rojo, McNair or whoever we were fielding at CB at the time, and he never stepped up to it. I don't think he's as big as the shadow he casts but he is a proven goalscorer and we do need those.
Lukaku tends to fail big time when he's up against tactically good teams. He will score against lower end teams but never shows up against the top 6.

Pass and Move

Every time we were going up against Everton people on here were bigging him up to crush Blind, Rojo, McNair or whoever we were fielding at CB at the time, and he never stepped up to it. I don't think he's as big as the shadow he casts but he is a proven goalscorer and we do need those.
I understand your point, however that was whilst playing for an inferior team. I'm sure with the service City would have provided he'd have caused us real problems.

WhoDaGOAT

Look, you can downplay a striker efforts by anything except what you're saying.

90% of any striker goals in any league will be against bottom half anyway. Can you bring us the records of Costa, Zlatan, Aguero and Sanchez against top 6 teams vs against bottom half ?!
No, I can't. Can you, seen as you're so interested?

One thing I will tell you without checking again, is that Agüero's record is pretty much flawless in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.