Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dogwithabone

Why does it matter if he has limitations in his game if he gets 25+ goals a season ?

I just don't get that mentality. Two players currently have virtually no limitations and they are clearly unattainable. Lukaku ticks far far more boxes than he doesn't and in my opinion he will become the best striker in the world over the next five years.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
United are a bigger club.

He's settled in the North West i assume.

Chance to fire us to our first title post Fergie.

We are on the back of two trophies, and have Jose in charge.

Lukaku is joining for footballing reasons, not 'cos his agent got a few quid FFS.

AndyJ1985

Times saying that Chelsea bid for Lukaku first, and Conte feels betrayed because Lukaku told him he was desperate to rejoin. So it sounds like he was just using Chelsea to get a better wage offer from us :lol:
That can't be right. Why would Lukaku want to join the biggest and most successful club in England instead of Chelsea? Nah, it has to be his agent blackmailing him to join us, it's the only explanation.

Moonred

Chelsea did feck this up. But this isn't catastrophic, if they end up with Morata or keep Costa, they will be fine. Belotti I am not sure but even that would be ok.
Lukaku isn't Messi.

Traub

Shaw never had the choice between Chelsea or United. Jose said at the time he would not spend that much on hin.
Nah don't think this is true. I met Terry Payne about six months before the transfer (uncle of a friend), I think he was some honourary president of Southampton at the time. He told us Shaw would be moving in the summer and that the boy had a choice to make between United and Chelsea. However, it did come across that United were offering him higher wages, so that's probably why he chose United.

ti vu

Isn't Drogba on good terms with Jose?
He is. He advised Bailly to join us with Jose over City last season. Drogba also admire us as a club. He previously joined Chelsea with Jose for football reason. If anything, Drogba would know full well to advise his younger fellows make choice for football reason than some personal boyhood shite. So even if Lukaku indeed prefers Chelsea, we got it with Mourinho.

WPMUFC

Times saying that Chelsea bid for Lukaku first, and Conte feels betrayed because Lukaku told him he was desperate to rejoin. So it sounds like he was just using Chelsea to get a better wage offer from us :lol:
Chelsea PR/Spin and media mouthpieces:

Lukaku is desperate for chelsea, Raiola has caused Lukaku to join MUFC.

LUKAKU IS LITERALLY A HOSTAGE!!! :lol::lol:

Maxin

I come to your team n I feck things up, I'm Moyes
What's happening? No done deal yet?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
In before the banterous Ramsey pics people still use.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
I can understand United's fans' desperation to land Lukaku after Griezmann's fiasco. It's a sign of times that a player with serious limitations like Lukaku becomes an object of the transfer battle between United and Chelsea. Couple of years ago anyone who suggested that Lukaku is worth 90m or so would be called madman, now it's the reality we live in.

Personally, I've never been a fan of Romelu due to some serious flaws in his game and said on this very forum that an idea of him coming to CFC doesn't really excite me. Still, if Conte wanted him and the club fecked up, I'm not happy about it because I want the manager to get the players he needs.

1st part, I get what you're trying to say (agree to some extent) but people have to realize that's his style of game. He's built like a tank, bulldozes his way past defenders, finishes chances at a high rate, and there's no other way to put it. He's a straight forward, point A to point B, type guy and it's extremely useful that he's a clinical finisher making him a lethal option. Why would you want to purchase a monster truck and ask it to do the job of a race car? If that's the case then you just go out and buy the race car from the get go. But that's not the case here. Fact of the matter is Lukaku is a different type of player so saying he has 'serious limitations' is misleading with the example I just mentioned. That's like saying a monster truck has serious limitations vs a race car in terms of speed and acceleration; it just doesn't add up or make sense because you're comparing apples to oranges..... I hope people realize this and can accept Lukaku for the player he is, maybe then they'll find an appreciation for him. And like I said it's certainly not a bad thing he's the type of player he is. He has different elements to his game and is damn good at what he does - that's scoring goals while having the ability to ragdoll defenders off of him. I for one can absolutely appreciate that and the diverse dynamic he'll bring to the club. Doesn't always have to be a pretty or shiny attacker. There's different types of players afterall :)

2nd part, yeah the club definitely fecked up. All signs point to Conte having had Lukaku rated highly and as his #1 target. Chelsea's own undoing here really. Overconfident, thought they were the only bidders which lead them to holding a firm price and not giving in to Everton's demands. And then like Randy Orton, United come outta no where and swoop away their targeted man :D You snooze you lose eh. Take it a lesson learned for any future negotiations. Sucks to suck I guess, can't imagine how gutted Conte and Chelsea must be. Very very unfortunate for them. Thought they had Lukaku wrapped up and was just a matter of playing the waiting game. Backfired big time :eek::drool:

Maxin

I come to your team n I feck things up, I'm Moyes
Lel. Never mind my post haha

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Get in.

But why have we started announcing deals before medicals/contracts have been signed? I swear we never did this before the Lindelof deal.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Get in.

But why have we started announcing deals before medicals/contracts have been signed? I swear we never did this before the Lindelof deal.
Nope. We've been doing this a lot.

Traub

For pure footballing reasons, it's actually quite a difficult choice:
Pros of United:
1. Attack will be built around him
2. Will automatically be first choice
3. Knows Jose's management and character (may be a con too)
4. Gets to play with his football friend

Pros of Chelsea:
1. Better team

Actually that's pretty much it. The fact that Costa may not be moved on is a big issue for him IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.