Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister_Stubbs

I suspect Most of us would love him here but for £100 mill not a chance. 50-60 then I'd still be on board....anymore and it's ridiculous.
Oh absolutely, 100m is a ridiculous fee but for the right price he could be excellent for us plus Jose typically likes a big man up front.

notcool

Supports
a
Why do people think Everton are telling the truth when they say £100m or that they won't budge from it? Look at all the rubbish that has been said about the Griezmann transfer. Lots of contradiction there so at least one side is wrong. And, obviously, it benefits Everton to say they want a whole lot so they receive more money from the deal. But if Lukaku has his mind set on going what are they going to do? Keep him till next season when he only has one season left on his contract and will be worth even less? If Lukaku wants to go, now is the best time for Everton to sell. That strengthens us/any other club interested in him.

Mr Smith

Why do people think Everton are telling the truth when they say £100m or that they won't budge from it? Look at all the rubbish that has been said about the Griezmann transfer. Lots of contradiction there so at least one side is wrong. And, obviously, it benefits Everton to say they want a whole lot so they receive more money from the deal. But if Lukaku has his mind set on going what are they going to do? Keep him till next season when he only has one season left on his contract and will be worth even less? If Lukaku wants to go, now is the best time for Everton to sell. That strengthens us/any other club interested in him.
Yeah I think you're right and they're just making noise, I'm sure they know no club would pay 100M for him. On the other hand, Koeman is an extremely arrogant guy, so who knows.

engulfing

100 is too much but to be fair hes probably worth 80 this summer. Hes big and fast, scored 25 goals 2 seasons in a row and the biggest selling point: hes English home grown. Hes a good enough finisher that with good enough service you know he can get 20 goals a season minimum.

Does the goal scoring go far enough to forgive his flaws (poor defensive work rate, inconsistent hold up play and first touch)? For me no but the important thing to note about lukaku is he has clearly improved every season for the last 4 years at least. This shows positive attitude and desire. Give him 1 more season at Everton to make one more step up. We'll bid 50-60 gbp next summer and hopefully the Woodward-Raiola alliance holds.

MarchingOn

If Jose is truly, "obsessed", that makes two of us.

Physical, PL-proven scoring machine.

50-60 + Rooney

Cheekiey

I think Lukaku would step up a level too in terms of playing with better service and in a team that normally has more possession than the opponents. Would love to see us go 442 at home to take teams to the cleaners. Griezmann dropping playing his usual game finding the space with Lukaku staying up as the focal point being a proper no. 9. Zlatan can also do this job but he always drops too deep and we have no focal point.

Lukaku - Griezmann
Martial/Rash - Pogba - Herrera - Micky
LB - Rojo/CB - Bailly - Valencia
De Gea​

Moonred

60 million player at max. Gives the vibe of a big match flop as well. Not a fan but does have natural ability to destroy defenders on his day.

OohAahMartial

So much seems to depend on Atletico's transfer ban being lifted.
Griezmann->Utd
Costa->Atletico
Lukaku->Chelsea
And if its not lifted:
James->Utd
Lukaku->Utd
Costa stays
Griezmann stays

Needham

Watching him chase his first touch every week along with his disappearing acts against the big sides would be a form of torture. £100m is ludicrous beyond belief.
But we live in ludicrous beyond belief times. Best way to circumvent his lack of natural talent is to either stagger the payments so that they are first touch-related or instruct Lukaku to go straight to his second touch.

Mr Smith

60 million player at max. Gives the vibe of a big match flop as well. Not a fan but does have natural ability to destroy defenders on his day.
To be fair, this is a bit of a constructed narrative. He ripped City to shreds twice this season and played well against Tottenham as well. I don't think he shrinks in big games, I more get the impression he can be shut out when playing against a strong, organised defence (we have repeatedly made him look average, and he wasn't great this season against Chelsea either). However, as was said of Ibrahimovic last season, a flat-track bully is not necessarily a bad thing for us (think how many points we dropped against mediocre opposition).

Mr Smith

So much seems to depend on Atletico's transfer ban being lifted.
Griezmann->Utd
Costa->Atletico
Lukaku->Chelsea
And if its not lifted:
James->Utd
Lukaku->Utd
Costa stays
Griezmann stays
Really? If we meet Griezmann's release clause, surely there's nothing Atletico can do (as long as he wants to go). Or am I missing something?

Moonred

To be fair, this is a bit of a constructed narrative. He ripped City to shreds twice this season and played well against Tottenham as well. I don't think he shrinks in big games, I more get the impression he can be shut out when playing against a strong, organised defence (we have repeatedly made him look average, and he wasn't great this season against Chelsea either). However, as was said of Ibrahimovic last season, a flat-track bully is not necessarily a bad thing for us (think how many points we dropped against mediocre opposition).
Hence gives the vibe. Not going to hold it against him as he can still improve but I largely agree with your point regarding how he can be shut out against an organised defense. 100 m is ridiculous though and no one should be paying that for Lukaku.

OohAahMartial

I think Lukaku is unlikely to join Chelsea if Costa is staying. So that leaves a clear path for us, and with no competitors for his signature we should be able to get down that ridiculous asking price to similar to Auba's fee. Still think nothing will happen until Mbappe commits to Real or staying put, so after Internationals.

Infra-red

I think Lukaku is unlikely to join Chelsea if Costa is staying. So that leaves a clear path for us, and with no competitors for his signature we should be able to get down that ridiculous asking price to similar to Auba's fee. Still think nothing will happen until Mbappe commits to Real or staying put, so after Internationals.
No concerns about his quality or lengthy goal droughts?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
If Costa is staying put and Chelsea don't go in for Lukaku this window then we would be fools not to be all over this - I can't imagine there being a player of his quality being potentially overlooked by the big cubs. Would definitely want us to try and get as much off the reported £100m price tag, that would be well over the odds.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Tbf all you've said is he can run fast. He's always been a great defender that needed to improve going forward. It's never not been the case.

I'll say he's a decent crosser of the ball but he's ngot an attacking full back.
You're definitely right in his first season, but he was attacking quite well in his second season before the injury. Then when he came back this season his attacking play was back to how he was in his first.

Castia

They wont get £100m for him and if some real interest comes in I can imagine Lukaku kicking up a fuss until he gets his way out, Everton wont be in a position to refuse £65m for him I feel.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Don't forget Mourinho has a bad Chelsea history with him, where he asked him to be sold. If we buy him, we'll have to play him no matter what, otherwise he'll probably sulk.

Infra-red

He's always one of the top scorers, as proven as it gets.
He scores quite a lot of goals, but those goals tend to be distributed across a relatively small number of games. Consistency is the issue. For example, this season in the Premier League Lukaku failed to score in 19 of the 36 games he played more than an hour in.

By way of comparison, while Lukaku scored a goal in 47% of the games he featured in, you have players like Aubameyang (71%), Morata (62%), Suarez (65%), Lacazette (71%), Dzeko (59%), Cavani (69%). In fact it's hard to find any other high-scoring striker who fails to score a single goal in more than half the games they play in - Belotti's record is better, Kane's is better, Ibrahimovic's is better...

Lukaku is not really the man you rely on to get you a goal a game week-in-week-out, he's the man to pile in on a thrashing and rack up a big tally there.

Last edited:

AgentP

If Everton stick to the 100m valuation, no club will go near him. They have to sell him this window or risk losing him for cheap next year. The player has also clearly mentioned he wants to leave.

FujiVice

Don't forget Mourinho has a bad Chelsea history with him, where he asked him to be sold. If we buy him, we'll have to play him no matter what, otherwise he'll probably sulk.
If you pay £70-80 million for a centre forward and he either deserves to play all the time or he doesnt. You pay that money to deliver the goods.

OohAahMartial

He scores quite a lot of goals, but those goals tend to be distributed across a relatively small number of games. Consistency is the issue. For example, this season in the Premier League Lukaku failed to score in 19 of the 36 games he played more than an hour in.

By way of comparison, while Lukaku scored a goal in 47% of the games he featured in, you have players like Aubameyang (71%), Morata (62%), Suarez (65%), Lacazette (71%), Dzeko (59%), Cavani (69%). In fact it's hard to find any other high-scoring striker who fails to score a single goal in more than half the games they play in - Belotti's record is better, Kane's is better, Ibrahimovic's is better...

Lukaku is not really the man you rely on to get you a goal a game week-in-week-out, he's the man to pile in on a thrashing and rack up a big tally there.
Interesting stats. I wanted Auba personally. But we are starting to run out of options as him and Morata look to be out of the equation. I think Jose's list is down to Mbappe, Lukaku and Belotti in that order.

Infra-red

Interesting stats. I wanted Auba personally. But we are starting to run out of options as him and Morata look to be out of the equation. I think Jose's list is down to Mbappe, Lukaku and Belotti in that order.
You may well be right. I suppose the question has to be, who is likely to form the best partnership with Griezmann? I really don't know.

Edit: looks like it doesn't matter who'd make the best foil for Griezmann anymore.

Last edited:

Utdstar01

They have no right to demand for 100m. Offer 50 at most, otherwise he goes for free next summer.

Peanut Butter

I have posted this before but will post it again for those that missed it: Jose is 'obsessed' with signing the Lukaku according to what Jamie Jackson (I know I know) has said recently.

This guy is target 1 in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.