Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

Proven goal scorer in the Prem. Last time I watched football, it's all about scoring goals and getting does watch it's says on time year in year out. I'm glad those Real lot got egg on their faces as they thought they'd squeeze us into submission for a player surplus to their requirements.

Whether worth the money or not, hes gonna terrorise teams this season.....can't wait

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
All of a sudden, Perisic makes a lot of sense. But neither Martial nor Rashford do.
You kidding me, a front three of Martial Lukaku Rashford sounds positively drool worthy.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Unfortunately, I think he's going to be absolutely brilliant for you guys. The amount of goals he's scored for a very mediocre Everton team combined with Pogba, Mkhitarian(spelling) and Mata spells even more goals. Annoying on all accounts. I was hopping Morata would be your big signing.

Fully Fledged

If we include Everton too, it would read :

Ibrahimovic 4, Lukaku 3, Kane 3, Sanchez 3, Costa 3

Guess it still shows he shows up against the best in the league with goals as much as the other top strikers
Totally. He's a top quality striker and an improvement on what we have so I for one hope it goes through.

My only concern is if we start sitting back spraying long balls up to him like we did with Zlatan and Fellaini.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If there's even a glimmer of a chance Chelsea can still come in, and he goes there, there would be an incredible meltdown on here, and in the boardroom!
It'd probably also be the first time where all the papers have unanimously broke the story, and United's official photo geezer confirmed it adamantly, and not happened.

It's that latter sentence that should be the faith we need this is done!

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
If there's even a glimmer of a chance Chelsea can still come in, and he goes there, there would be an incredible meltdown on here, and in the boardroom!
It'd probably also be the first time where all the papers have unanimously broke the story, and United's official photo geezer confirmed it adamantly, and not happened.

Ramsey and Mikel?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
You kidding me, a front three of Martial Lukaku Rashford sounds positively drool worthy.
What is giving you so much confidence in Martial and Rashford? They scored 10 league goals between the pair of them, which is dreadful. I'd expect this at a club battling relegation.
I genuinely would like a logical explanation, because this reliance on our goal-shy attackers is baffling me.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that I'd like to understand the logic.

Sentient Meat

All that would happen is that it would create an incredible sense of urgency to fix what they did and we'd soon have Morata or another player in at an inflated rate.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Totally. He's a top quality striker and an improvement on what we have so I for one hope it goes through.

My only concern is if we start sitting back spraying long balls up to him like we did with Zlatan and Fellaini.
Well that's how Everton have played away from home for years so he will be pretty used to it :lol:

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
I am happy with this one. A proven PL goal-scorer at an young age is a good deal even though we're paying a tad too much for him(If compared to current market prices, this makes sense.) He's not the most technical there is, but he happens to bang in a lot of goals - I think Mou has this idea that against the bigger teams, he can tactically nullify their strengths; we need someone dependable who can chip in against the teams we failed to breakdown last season. Also, a number 9 for Jose isn't just a goal scorer, it's someone who as the ability to bring others into play and create chances for the wide players; most importantly, what a counter-attacking system necessitates, is being clinical - fast, game-changing counters at the end of which you need someone who can just put it in somehow be it with his head, left or right. Considering what he has achieved at weaker clubs (15+ at WestBrom), I wager being with play-makers ala Pogba, Mkhi, Mata should at-least increase his tally.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Unfortunately, I think he's going to be absolutely brilliant for you guys. The amount of goals he's scored for a very mediocre Everton team combined with Pogba, Mkhitarian(spelling) and Mata spells even more goals. Annoying on all accounts. I was hopping Morata would be your big signing.
Think he will be quietly brilliant for us, frustrating the feck out of fans with his drunken elephant routine but still somehow being there on the end of chances game after game.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
All that would happen is that it would create an incredible sense of urgency to fix what they did and we'd soon have Morata or another player in at an inflated rate.
yeah i'm sure everyone would think,"Oh well, we'll just buy Morata".

It'd be pure pandamonium!

cheeky_backheel

Bale could have started the CL final and didn't. Ronaldo plays better with Isco and Isco suits Zidane's system far better. If Bale starts more games than Isco next season you can revisit this point.
Bale did not start the final cos he was being rushed back from injury and wasnt match fit.

For the classico, it was similar scenario with him being rushed back from injury and he started ahead of Isco but had to leave after just 40mins cos of a relapse. Zidane was forced to make an early sub and did not want a repeat in the CL finals.

Madrid's preferred starting 11 under Zidane is Navas, Marcelo, Ramos, Varane, Carvajal, casemiro, Kroos, Modric, CR7, Benzema and Bale. Isco sits on the bench.

red thru&thru

0 chance this deal doesn't go through. This is just a tactic to get Everton to hurry up and sell us, so we can have him in tour. Why Everton deny this deal? They still active in the market. They don't want other clubs to know they just received £75m+ for a player...

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Proven goal scorer in the Prem. Last time I watched football, it's all about scoring goals ...
Whether worth the money or not, hes gonna terrorise teams this season.....can't wait
I do wonder if other fans understand this concept...that the aim of the game is to score goals.
They seem to hail our attackers who can't score, which is baffling.

Like you said though, we do have a proper striker now, to replace Ibra and while I am still worried that we are lacking an attacker (IMO we need a left sided attacker who can actually score goals), I am feeling a lot more confident.
The thought of us losing Ibra and replacing him with a 19 year old Rashford who scored 5 league goals last season was deflating. It was like when LVG sold all our attackers and put his complete faith in Rooney - that proved to be the root of his sacking.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
0 chance this deal doesn't go through. This is just a tactic to get Everton to hurry up and sell us, so we can have him in tour. Why Everton deny this deal? They still active in the market. They don't want other clubs to know they just received £75m+ for a player...
I think that they may want to announce Rooney and Lukaku deal at the same time.
If they announce the loss of their most expensive player, sponsors and fans may panic.
If they announce Rooney at the same time, it will certainly appease sponsors. Rooney may not be very good, but he certainly is highly marketable.

cheeky_backheel

Nope, it isn't like that at all.

This is why I said 'a number of factors' go into this stuff. I obviously need to elaborate, but one of the key factors that has gone into determining Lukaku's price, in addition to just Everton's reluctance to sell, is the fact that he's a proven consistent goalscorer. Which is far from the equivalent to a Toyota. The fact that he scores 20+ goals a season is a factor in determining his market value. The fact that he's just 23 is another factor.

Isco' value, in any reasonable market, is immediately diminished by the fact Real want rid of him. There are even two different prices for a Bentley that a man is keen to sell and one that he isn't, to use your own analogy.

Anthony Martial is a young player with huge potential. I can only imagine the difference between whatever price we would have quoted a buyer after his first season, and one we would quote now if we started putting feelers out into the market that he was available because Jose has decided to get rid.

Out of curiosity, every single factor considered, how much do you think Everton should ask any prospective buyer for their star striker? £30m £40m. In the interest of being 'fair' to the buyer.
You still dont get it - i dont care how much Everton desires. They could want $1 billion for Barkley, but that does not mean we should agree with their valuation.

What I am interested in is which player gets me the best value for my money. If Everton wants 100m for Lukaku, what I should be focused on is if there is an alternative which is a better value e.g. a better player for same, or similar player for less. Whether Everton's valuation is reasonable or not is irrelevant. Yes I can use factors like his contract situation as leverage in negotiating but that should not change the primary measure of seeking the better value.

Like I said earlier, it is simply stupid to pay more for a lesser player

EvilIrwin

Have Chelsea dropped interest? Guess spending time with Pogba has paid off and seems Lukaku wants to join over Chelsea which is what you want, a player wanting to play for United, or Mourinho, same thing.

Glad Moratas dropped, R Madrid can feck off

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Aaron Ramsey
I didn't say it had never happened, I said it's not generally what we do. That happened years ago under a different CEO and manager.

Our biggest signing ever was announced when we'd had time to make a rap video first. Announcing it after all is done and dusted is what will happen in this case if we sign him.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Think he will be quietly brilliant for us, frustrating the feck out of fans with his drunken elephant routine but still somehow being there on the end of chances game after game.
He's not the most elegant player, but your team needs a player who scores goals, and Lukaku does exactly that. I think he could become one of your best transfers in recent years.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Of the three forwards you've been linked with this summer - Griezmann, Lukaku, Morata - Griezmann was the one I really hoped you wouldn't get. Lukaku will bag you 25+ (maybe even 30+) goals in all competitions next season but he's not a signing that really strikes fear into my heart as a fan of a team who are going to be challenging you for the title/top four. He's a proven goalscorer who will improve for the next 18 months before his peak, so for that reason he's worth it, but I think I'd be more concerned as a City fan if you'd nabbed Griezmann.

Xeno

Not convinced or excited, based on the two Everton games I watch a season. I could be convinced, however, by either of the following:
  • A YouTube video, max 5 minutes, showing some beast goals
  • A FIFA TOTS/TOTY card with 90 Pace & Strength

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
If this goes through i will be delighted, especially as we have been linked to utter dross such as James all summer.

Home&Away

What is giving you so much confidence in Martial and Rashford? They scored 10 league goals between the pair of them, which is dreadful. I'd expect this at a club battling relegation.
I genuinely would like a logical explanation, because this reliance on our goal-shy attackers is baffling me.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that I'd like to understand the logic.
There's two sides to the coin. I look at martial, lukaku and rAshford in a front 3 - I feel like the new guy doesn't get service from the wings which is a bit dispelling.

However, if we do manage to get someone like perisic and shift him at LB with Valencia at RB - I don't see anything bad about that front 3 getting crosses from deep coupled with mkhitrayan or mata in a free central role.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Of the three forwards you've been linked with this summer - Griezmann, Lukaku, Morata - Griezmann was the one I really hoped you wouldn't get. Lukaku will bag you 25+ (maybe even 30+) goals in all competitions next season but he's not a signing that really strikes fear into my heart as a fan of a team who are going to be challenging you for the title/top four. He's a proven goalscorer who will improve for the next 18 months before his peak, so for that reason he's worth it, but I think I'd be more concerned as a City fan if you'd nabbed Griezmann.
Save your worries for next summer, Griez will come then.

Just hope City and Pep doesn't identify the defence as an actual part of a complete side by then.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I was more optimistic about Lukaku this morning but after a day of reading the cafe and watching videos, I am back in the middle - split between who is better - Morata or Lukaku and who will be a better option for us.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We've had good players with little impact for years. Now we are close to signing a "bad" player who scores goals for fun and people moan. :lol: never happy

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Not convinced or excited, based on the two Everton games I watch a season. I could be convinced, however, by either of the following:
  • A YouTube video, max 5 minutes, showing some beast goals
  • A FIFA TOTS/TOTY card with 90 Pace & Strength
:lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There's two sides to the coin. I look at martial, lukaku and rAshford in a front 3 - I feel like the new guy doesn't get service from the wings which is a bit dispelling.

However, if we do manage to get someone like perisic and shift him at LB with Valencia at RB - I don't see anything bad about that front 3 getting crosses from deep coupled with mkhitrayan or mata in a free central role.
You want to switch a winger at LB? Don't listen the absolute nonsense spouted by some, Perisic isn't a wingback and even less a potential fullback, he isn't a "defensive" winger either, just an average traditional winger.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
I think it's a bit similar to when we signed Andy Cole. I didn't really rate him at the time and thought of him as only a goal scorer with a horrendous first touch, and I definitely though we overpaid for him which I believe was a British record transfer at the time.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You still dont get it - i dont care how much Everton desires. They could want $1 billion for Barkley, but that does not mean we should agree with their valuation.

What I am interested in is which player gets me the best value for my money. If Everton wants 100m for Lukaku, what I should be focused on is if there is an alternative which is a better value e.g. a better player for same, or similar player for less. Whether Everton's valuation is reasonable or not is irrelevant. Yes I can use factors like his contract situation as leverage in negotiating but that should not change the primary measure of seeking the better value.

Like I said earlier, it is simply stupid to pay more for a lesser player
That's a fair point, mine was more about how his value would be determined. The post I responded to was someone saying 'despite preferring Morata, I feel paying more for Lukaku is more justified than doing so for Morata'.

My response was to explain why Lukaku would have a higher market value. And much as you may try, we are not comparing fecking Bentleys to Toyotas when discussing Morata and Lukaku, so the whole 'better' thing is highly subjective in this case, to the point where it should barely be a deciding factor in a price comparison. Both are much of a muchness almost.

fellaini's barber

So after asking me who I feel better suited to the kind of football we should be playing, you defaulted to 'our manager chose Lukaku so shut up'.

Well done. You could have done that from the start and save us from this farce of an exchange.
Yea, the exchange became a farce when you mentioned Cavani who rightly gets laughed at here for good reason. You might have as well gone with Giroud. Whatever system you're talking about is going to be the manager's system, you can't be just say stuff like 'Cavani will suit 'our' system more than Lukaku, well it's not your bloody system, the person who owns the system bought who suits his system, a good player who lots of people are happy with. Well except people like you who feel Cavani, of all fecking people, will suit Mourinho's system more. It really is a stupid argument so let's end it there

Status
Not open for further replies.