Ronaldo & Maguire power struggle

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
A battle for power between the poster boy for the club becoming a meme and a guy who is gone in 4 months.

Tell them both to piss off and give it to Varane or something.

Devil’s Trident

Because he's the Captain. Like I dont like Poch but if he's manager then I will support him. Thats what you do. And if you play football you stick by your captain. Ive played under many a sht captains. I didnt challenge their authority every chance I got. Why? Because he is the captain. Thats how it works. Or at least thats how I thought it worked.
What do you think of Marcus Rashford then as a character ? Did you think the same thing when Rashford openly called captain Maguire a knobhead at selhurst park v palace when Harry was giving instructions to marcus ? Do you think Marcus Rashford doesn’t deserve a place in the team ?

Also what are your opinions leadership abilities ? If you think you have got Roy keane in your dressing room and you have Mikel sylvestre as your captain and a bad one at that ? Do you think Roy keane should put his head down at all times and not question that ? Do you think the heirarchy of personalities matter in a dressing room ?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
While I think Maguire is a terrible captain, and almost certainly won't be made a captain under the new manager, I don't think now is the right time for this. Losing the captaincy now will reflect terribly on him and will create unnecessary divide within the team. Leadership doesn't require the armband, and Ronaldo can lead and be influential without being a captain.
Well his form has been shiite all season, and I doubt he could get any shitter anyway as he is already on the bottom tier.

If there will be any divide in the team because of this, it will be Maguire vs the whole squad.

But I agree Ronaldo can lead without being a captain, he wasn't a captain in Real Madrid, and he wasn't a captain in Juventus. Why would he want to be captain of Man Utd? Doesn't make any sense to me, he just never needs that. All he wants is, win, goals, and teammates to support him achieving those on the pitch.

L1nk

Whilst it probably is fake, why does everyone dismiss every negative story about United as completely fabricated, is it because you don't want to believe them? They honestly don't sound that implausible, especially considering that Gary Neville said that he himself knows who leakers are, so we know for a fact some of our players are leaking stories for one reason or another

Greck

I mean… there is no smoke without fire. This is like the third or fourth separate time this sort of thing has been raised by the media this season.

So much for this being the most likeable side we’ve had since SAF retired
I also think there's fire. Whether something is being exaggerated or not you don't get a billion press releases of the same issue over a span of 4 months. In fact literally every release about our locker from every source this season has hinted at a leadership divide, even by shit tabloid standards that's unfamiliar. This is how leaks with a hint of truth start, when sources start corroborating each other. They aren't all copying and pasting.

TheRedHearted

all i know is they are both way too stressed. See it more in Ronaldo as of late. I get it, he thought United were gonna be a different project and more success but he should have demanded we buy a cdm if he were to come.

Cloud7

Whether or not this story is true, the sooner Maguire leaves United the better. It will be better for all parties involved. The team will be better off without him, and he will likely be happier outside of United where there isn’t a massive spotlight (price tag, captain’s armband, main defender etc) on him.

He’s been crap and is quite rightly being called out for it all over, but at the same time that can’t be easy for him to deal with.

UpWithRivers

What do you think of Marcus Rashford then as a character ? Did you think the same thing when Rashford openly called captain Maguire a knobhead at selhurst park v palace when Harry was giving instructions to marcus ? Do you think Marcus Rashford doesn’t deserve a place in the team ?

Also what are your opinions leadership abilities ? If you think you have got Roy keane in your dressing room and you have Mikel sylvestre as your captain and a bad one at that ? Do you think Roy keane should put his head down at all times and not question that ? Do you think the heirarchy of personalities matter in a dressing room ?
Yes fair point. But what I meant was challenging the captaincy. There is always infighting within a club. Fergies teams had a go at each other all the time and thats a good thing. You need to challenge each other and the Captain should not be treated as otherwise. But to a point and one line you dont cross is challenging the captaincy. At least openly. If its got to the point thats its so bad then you go to the manager and thats a private conversation and therefore no one would know and certainly not the press or the fan channels. And once you tell your manager then you get on with it. If the manager says he is still going to be the captain then you make an effort to just get on with it for the good of the team

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Politics and football is completely different things. Its your democratic right to vote and decide on the presidency and protest. Ronaldo has no right to challenge the captaincy and demand he gets it instead. None. Thats friggin madness.
Yes, he does. He is a serial winner, with a proven track record, slabhead has proven nothing except that he is not up to the task and doesnt have the stones for the job. He absolutely deserves to be called out and challenged

choccy77

BREAKING NEWS

Maguire hits out at reports he is a good captain.

"These stories are rubbish and lies"

johanovic

Maguire is not and never was fit to be a Man Utd captain....RR must drop him and if Ronaldo is wanting the chance to lead the team in these difficult times he should be given the nod...Maguire for me is not good enough to be a United player and Varane and Lindelof a far better partnership. I think Bailly and Jones would be better options than him. It is obvious that the players have had their way for a long time and RR seems to be facing that head on...player power is perhaps the most difficult problem we are facing and we need to set a standard and follow it...I´ve said it before and I will say it again even though I know it will never happen...I would love to see Keano as part of the coaching setup to keep those prats in line...Liverpool are a team, City are a team, Chelsea is a team...United are not a team but a handful of individuals looking out for them self ..... Klopp, Guardiola and Tuchel do not allow for any bullshit from players and we need a setup where they do not get away with this bullshit that has been going on for the past years.

Zoo

This journalist should be banned. He’s a troublemaker and has been for years.

romufc

Tuchel do not allow for any bullshit from players and we need a setup where they do not get away with this bullshit that has been going on for the past years.
That's clearly false. Tuchel does not allow bullshit from players? Yet Lukaku is his starting player whilst he is twerking to go back to Italy?

Mihai

I mean… there is no smoke without fire. This is like the third or fourth separate time this sort of thing has been raised by the media this season.

So much for this being the most likeable side we’ve had since SAF retired
Technically, not true.

SER19

De gea should be captain. 10 years here, actually won a title, player of the season several times and still bailing us out. Let the outfield players have their own unseen hierarchy.

KeanoMagicHat

Maguire should be taken from captaincy but Ronaldo should be nowhere near it. A lose-lose situation this.

Big Andy

Bloke
Maguire is not and never was fit to be a Man Utd captain....RR must drop him and if Ronaldo is wanting the chance to lead the team in these difficult times he should be given the nod...Maguire for me is not good enough to be a United player and Varane and Lindelof a far better partnership. I think Bailly and Jones would be better options than him. It is obvious that the players have had their way for a long time and RR seems to be facing that head on...player power is perhaps the most difficult problem we are facing and we need to set a standard and follow it...I´ve said it before and I will say it again even though I know it will never happen...I would love to see Keano as part of the coaching setup to keep those prats in line...Liverpool are a team, City are a team, Chelsea is a team...United are not a team but a handful of individuals looking out for them self ..... Klopp, Guardiola and Tuchel do not allow for any bullshit from players and we need a setup where they do not get away with this bullshit that has been going on for the past years.
It was only about 6 months ago everyone was digging Lindelof out saying he was shite. Now all of a sudden he's our second best defender?

There's a hell of a lot of United fans hanging on every word that the media put out there. The Talksport posse of Simon Jordan, Jamie O'Hara and people of his ilk (i.e utter wankers who have no idea of what goes on at OT behind closed doors) and the snivelling little press toads like Luckhurst and Stone who despite having access to press conferences, ask inane pointless questions and report nonsense that they've either made up, or put 2 and 2 together and got 4.

If United fans want us to be better on the pitch, then they need to stop dropping to their knees and taking the media length in their mouths. The media know that United = clicks, and they'll forever continue with this until the cows come home. Just don't give them the satisfaction of rising to it. The reason that you don't hear of stuff like this at Liverpool, Chelsea, City, etc isn't that it doesn't occur, it's just that nobody really gives a feck and it doesn't generate the engagement they crave. Look at Lukaku earlier in the season, saying he wants to go back to Inter, there was a couple of days of articles, and then it's dropped. This Maguire thing has been rumbling on for months now, and he's been injured for most of that.

The new generation of fans who support players more than the club are partly the problem, the fan cam channels spilling vitriol at players who are out of form are another, Twitter FC with their anonymity slagging off everyone. What happened to supporting the team on the pitch?

Maguire is out of form and has made a few mistakes, yes, but the likes of Ole, Ralf, Southgate have all made him captain in their time so I'd rather trust their judgement rather than some cnut sat in his underpants frantically bashing away on his laptop.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
People are so gullible falling for these stories. These 'journalists' need banning from the club.

Foxbatt

It was before Ronaldo came that Rashford called Maguire a knobhead during the game.

saivet

I hope he doesn't but I worry slightly that Ralf might be too honest in his press conference and relight the fire.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Cant they just sue the journalists for bullshit news? I dont know if this one is fake but i have seen way more obvious bullshit articles and have always wondered why didnt the players/clubs sue those journalists

Maticmaker

'Power struggle' between Maguire and Ronaldo... what power, what struggle??

As far as I can see the only power Maguire has is (supposedly) to be the player whose 'shout' gets the back four in line to control/ induce off-sides and the struggle for CR is to get back on side when he's inevitably the last man out of the opponents half when we are defending.

Its journalistic nonsense once more, anything to be able to mention Manchester United in their articles, podcasts, media pieces, etc.

Longshanks

There could be something in it, certainly a possibility that Ronaldo is undermining Maguires captaincy and affecting his authority. Although I suspect it has been blown out of proportion of course.

In terms of changing the captaincy though you wouldn't give it to Ronaldo anyway, a very individualistic player who is at the twilight of his career and is going to be here a maximum of 2 years possibly not even that. The other option is bruno who is probably to emotional for it.

The only other player in the squad who could be the captain is probably Mctom but its probably a couple of years away from being a realistic option.

So I reckon we are stuck with captain maguire for a while yet.