Rooney

Treble

just like macheda played a vital role in us winning the prem.

lets not go and over estimate what berba did last term. he came to an already double winning side, that had the BPITW and the best defense in europe. he didn't have to do much to contribute. tevez had game winning goals for us as well, but as we all know, he isn't utd first XI quality either.

when the chips were down in the run in during the season, berba was dropped left and right.

fact is, players like berba and tevez, while united squad quality, are not first xi united material.

until we get wayne the proper partner up top, he's going to be a victim of his own superior ability/versatility and have to 'do a job' to mask inadequacies of the the squad.
let's not under estimate it either: he made most assists and scored most winners in the league despite playing way deeper than the other forwards, more as a midfielder than as a striker, 19 contributed league goals in terms of goals and assists, as many as Rooney...

as to whether he is first xi material, this season will provide the answer, it's too early to tell, as he has a new role in the team. it's quite obvious from your posts that you tend to dislike him and this seems to cloud your judgment. why do you feel the need to come up with derogatory comments about Berbatov every now and then?

Longlivekeano

Rooney's positioning is becoming MUCH better as a poacher and fox-in-the-box. A few years ago, the only way he scored was by spectacular volleys, howitzers from outside the box.

This year, Roon has added a new dimension to his play by becoming more selfish and getting the tap-ins which is the bread-and-butter for all centre forwards.Fair play to him (although there would be many who would question where all the magic has gone). It is not gone but he now uses his expereince (started as a 16 yr old from Everton) to get out of difficult situations using his brains through a simple pass rather than extravagant skills, showboats juggles over opponents' heads.

Once in a while, the magic of old resurfaces. I remember last year (or was it 2 years ago) when he attempted an audacious lob from half-way line which had the keeper scrambling to recover to tip it over the bar. Not sure which game it was but would love a video of that.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Scoring for fun these days. Also playing up top on his own and seems to have learned how to take penalties. Scoring alot of taps. Jesus Christ, the boy has turned into a goal poacing line leader.

Call him the world's most talented utility player. He can play anywhere.

Its funny, Ronaldo got all the attention last year because of the goals but I thought Rooney was overall better than Ronny last year.

this year Rooney is scoring but not looking like the best attacker on the team (Evra, Valencia,Giggs.)

MUFCgal

Already on 12 goals (in all comps.) for this season, is that the most he's had this stage of the season? The fact now he'll take our penalties and he's playing more as a striker, I can see him getting 25-30 goals if he can continue this. I know there's times he blows hot and cold in front of goal (he can get 5 goals in 5 games, then go the next 7 games without a goal) but it seems now he's back in the goals and let's hope he can keep it going. He'll definitely record his best tally for us this season I've no doubt about that.

radd

Scoring for fun these days. Also playing up top on his own and seems to have learned how to take penalties. Scoring alot of taps. Jesus Christ, the boy has turned into a goal poacing line leader.

Call him the world's most talented utility player. He can play anywhere.

Its funny, Ronaldo got all the attention last year because of the goals but I thought Rooney was overall better than Ronny last year.

this year Rooney is scoring but not looking like the best attacker on the team (Evra, Valencia,Giggs.)
spot on.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Already on 12 goals (in all comps.) for this season, is that the most he's had this stage of the season? The fact now he'll take our penalties and he's playing more as a striker, I can see him getting 25-30 goals if he can continue this. I know there's times he blows hot and cold in front of goal (he can get 5 goals in 5 games, then go the next 7 games without a goal) but it seems now he's back in the goals and let's hope he can keep it going. He'll definitely record his best tally for us this season I've no doubt about that.
He's got a great record against Villa, Fulham & Wigan who are 3 of our next 5 premiership opponents, the others being Wolves (h) & Hull (a). Hopefully he'll continue his latest purple patch through all of those games which would put him in a great position to hit his best tally for us

Ole'sbodyguard

Rooney's positioning is becoming MUCH better as a poacher and fox-in-the-box. A few years ago, the only way he scored was by spectacular volleys, howitzers from outside the box.

This year, Roon has added a new dimension to his play by becoming more selfish and getting the tap-ins which is the bread-and-butter for all centre forwards.Fair play to him (although there would be many who would question where all the magic has gone). It is not gone but he now uses his expereince (started as a 16 yr old from Everton) to get out of difficult situations using his brains through a simple pass rather than extravagant skills, showboats juggles over opponents' heads.

Once in a while, the magic of old resurfaces. I remember last year (or was it 2 years ago) when he attempted an audacious lob from half-way line which had the keeper scrambling to recover to tip it over the bar. Not sure which game it was but would love a video of that.
Agree with some of your points.

However, he tries to score from the half way line every other game including yesterday so I would not say the old magic has gone.

Amir

Last season, a goal like our fourth would most likely be scored with Rooney providing the final pass and Ronaldo the tap in. That was the point all summer - Ronaldo may be gone, but there will be someone else making the pass and someone else tapping it in. And there you go.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Agree with some of your points.

However, he tries to score from the half way line every other game including yesterday so I would not say the old magic has gone.
And he tries audacious chips that no other player in this league tries, on a semi-regular basis.

The one yesterday with his left foot wasn't well executed but if it was it'd put everyone saying he';s lost his spark to shame.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Last season, a goal like our fourth would most likely be scored with Rooney providing the final pass and Ronaldo the tap in. That was the point all summer - Ronaldo may be gone, but there will be someone else making the pass and someone else tapping it in. And there you go.
good post

Merman

Hear hear. The Rooney we've seen so far this season is exactly the Rooney we need. We already have two players in Giggs and Berbatov who are capable of playing the playmaker role like Rooney did to Ronaldo. I don't think his performances have been that bad anyway. His general play is still better than a typical Torres or Ronaldo(in his last season) performance. He played an important part in two of the goals yesterday and scored one himself.

AttackingFlair

the thing is people said all he needed was more goals to be up there with the elite in football. Has that happened? No, not really. In the thread for best in the prem this season he wasn't mentioned let alone the world and most are saying hasn't been the best in our team. So what has he got to do now?

Dobba

the thing is people said all he needed was more goals to be up there with the elite in football. Has that happened? No, not really. In the thread for best in the prem this season he wasn't mentioned let alone the world and most are saying hasn't been the best in our team. So what has he got to do now?
Make his mark at a World Cup.

He has shown an improvement in the consistency of his strikes this year. Additional scoring opportunities from penalties and free kicks should also increase his tally.

Rooney is a player that carries a weight of expectation and I think he has handled this extra responsibility quite well. His movement and continual presence in the final third allows him to get on the end of our moves more often rather than being a creator, as Amir said above. He just needs to keep working on his sharpness and hopefully in due time he will be unquestionably recognised as one of the greatest strikers on the planet.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Maybe but messi and ronaldo haven't yet.
Ronaldo has been to the final and semi final of a major tournement, impressing in both.

Wayne got injured in the match up v Ronaldo during euro 2004 (was a phenomenon however) and sent off in the other one having been rushed back from injury.

Messi hasn't had a chance to make his mark on a international tournement due to pekermens reluctance to use him in the last world cup. He was good in the Olympics but that don't mean jack.

Question marks on all their heads, but Ronaldo less so..at the moment as it stands.

AttackingFlair

I'd call this "making a mark"...

Speaking to PA International, Perez said: "Rooney has shown at Euro 2004 that at the age of 18 he is a splendid player and that he is mature enough to develop both physically and mentally in order to become the most important player in the world.
Newspapers from different countries

Super Rooney, l'Inghilterra vola

[Super Rooney, England take off]

Gazzetta Dello Sport, Italy

König Rooney!

[King Rooney!]

Bild, Germany

Engleska u cetvrtfinalu, Rooney koban i za Hrvatsku

[England through to the quarter-finals, Rooney beats Croatia]

Dnevnik, Croatia

Encore signé Rooney

[Rooney scores again]

L'Equipe, France

Emmenée par son joyau Wayne Rooney, l'Angleterre est en quart de finale

[Carried along by their jewel, England are in the quarter-finals]

Figaro, France, on qualification from Group B. It continues, on Rooney: "He is certainly the revelation of Euro 2004. This young striker is a veritable phenomenon."

"In two games Rooney has already justified the almost unreachable price that Everton have put on him."

O Jogo, Portugal

"Portugal are playing at home and have the quality to fell the English Goliath. But they should be wary. Rooney can scent blood and promises new surprises."

Marca, Spain

"Rooney is hungry for success and there is no better medicine to combat the windy world of football."

Marca

"It will take some creative thinking from [the Portugal coach] Luis Felipe Scolari to end the insolence of this phenomenal adolescent from Everton."

L'Equipe

"Only 18 but already supremely important to a major football nation such as England."

De Telegraaf, Netherlands

"From China to the moon, wherever there is life, they must have heard about Wayne Rooney. He is the English youth who, at an age when most soccer professionals are politely working their apprenticeships, is tearing up the scoring records in Euro 2004."

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He's started scoring while not playing well, which is a good sign. Might see an end to these random bursts of goals and give him a bit more consistency.

Brophs

The One and Only
I think Wayne's lost half a yard since his teens
I always thought his greatest challenge was keeping himself physically right as he got older. His natural build is on the, erm.....huskierside, and I've always assumed he'd find it hard to hold onto his pace as he pushed on. In the last couple of years he's become less reliant on his pace, and become a better-if not less explosive-player for it.

Sylar

Would like to see him shoot more from outside the box like he used to but cant complain too much tbh. Despite what can be called a dry period for him a few weeks ago, hes still joint top scorer in the premiership.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I always thought his greatest challenge was keeping himself physically right as he got older. His natural build is on the, erm.....huskierside, and I've always assumed he'd find it hard to hold onto his pace as he pushed on. In the last couple of years he's become less reliant on his pace, and become a better-if not less explosive-player for it.
You sound as though you're talking about someone in his mid thirties.

I know Mockney has a theory that Rooney's biological age is about a decade older than his actual age but I still think it's a bit much to talk about someone who's only just turned 24 as "pushing on"

Sylar

Fair point. Still given the difference between Rooneys style of being a striker compared to Defoe thats quite a great strike rate from our Wayne.

Eriku

Would like to see him shoot more from outside the box like he used to but cant complain too much tbh. Despite what can be called a dry period for him a few weeks ago, hes still joint top scorer in the premiership.
I generally would too, but it seems every time he lines one up these days, someone's there to close him down and block it :\

I miss his thunderbolts too... Left, right, volley... his chips... but he's still a tremendous influence in our team, and he usually doesn't put a foot wrong, and that's always incredibly valuable to a team.

Brophs

The One and Only
You sound as though you're talking about someone in his mid thirties.

I know Mockney has a theory that Rooney's biological age is about a decade older than his actual age but I still think it's a bit much to talk about someone who's only just turned 24 as "pushing on"
Aye, but I said as he's 'pushed on', meaning as he's gotten older, rather than as he's gotten old. Or I phrased it badly.

But you knew what I meant. Probably.

Vanrouge

I don't know what it is, but when Rooney shoots from distance nowadays, he almost always gets blocked by the defender -- he's not using the same guile and/or that subtle touch that moves the ball slightly a split second before he hammers it. I keep expecting him to fake the shot and move the ball to one side of the lunging defender before shooting, yet for some reason he isn't doing that anywhere near enough.

Vanrouge

I should add that there are other aspects of his play that have improved, however, and I am not really criticising him overall. In fact, I think he's essential to us at the moment.

Fergies Formula

I don't know what it is, but when Rooney shoots from distance nowadays, he almost always gets blocked by the defender -- he's not using the same guile and/or that subtle touch that moves the ball slightly a split second before he hammers it. I keep expecting him to fake the shot and move the ball to one side of the lunging defender before shooting, yet for some reason he isn't doing that anywhere near enough.
I have noticed this too, he struggles to create the space and angles as well as he used to when shooting, which used to be instinctive and now is forced

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Aye, but I said as he's 'pushed on', meaning as he's gotten older, rather than as he's gotten old. Or I phrased it badly.

But you knew what I meant. Probably.
I knew what you meant, I just don't think any 23/24 year old will lose the pace he had in his teens, without putting on a ton of weight or getting completely out of shape (I don't think Rooney's done either).

There's "getting older" and there's "getting old". Speaking as someone who's doing the latter, I can assure you that the former is nowhere near as detrimental to someone's natural athleticism.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
He does play a lot further up these days in comparison to when he played behind Van Nistelrooy. The space he has is very limited. His role at United has completely changed as the years have gone by as well.

AttackingFlair

He does play a lot further up these days in comparison to when he played behind Van Nistelrooy. The space he has is very limited. His role at United has completely changed as the years have gone by as well.
Arshavin was able to do it up front on his own vs stoke

BaldwinLegend

I knew what you meant, I just don't think any 23/24 year old will lose the pace he had in his teens, without putting on a ton of weight or getting completely out of shape (I don't think Rooney's done either).

There's "getting older" and there's "getting old". Speaking as someone who's doing the latter, I can assure you that the former is nowhere near as detrimental to someone's natural athleticism.
But you're talking generally here, and Rooney doesn't have an average physique so maybe it doesn't apply?

I know it's been done to death but still - enough creditable posters have pointed out, just in this thread, that he's not as quick as he was. I can't think that his injuries have slowed him down - they're not the type to have that effect - but I can imagine that the bulk, as in muscle matter, he'd have put on between 16 and 23 might slow him down.

Brophs

The One and Only

But you're talking generally here, and Rooney doesn't have an average physique so maybe it doesn't apply?

I know it's been done to death but still - enough creditable posters have pointed out, just in this thread, that he's not as quick as he was. I can't think that his injuries have slowed him down - they're not the type to have that effect - but I can imagine that the bulk, as in muscle matter, he'd have put on between 16 and 23 might slow him down.
I genuinely don't know why he's (slightly) slower, but he is, IMO. I'm not a doctor (yeah, I know, hard to believe) so I don't understand the reasons it could happen, but I would say it has. But as I said, I think he's become a more considered player since losing the half-yard, so it's swings and roundabouts.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Arshavin was able to do it up front on his own vs stoke
Well kudos to Arshavin then.

I didn't say no out and out centre forward has ever scored a long range shot did I. Rooney still attempts to belt a few when he gets the space but he's had more luck finding space in international football playing behind Heskey than he has done playing up top for us. Can't be a coincidence.

AttackingFlair

Well kudos to Arshavin then.

I didn't say no out and out centre forward has ever scored a long range shot did I. Rooney still attempts to belt a few when he gets the space but he's had more luck finding space in international football playing behind Heskey than he has done playing up top for us. Can't be a coincidence.
Oh thought you were talking about the fake shot or whatever.