Rugby 2020 discussion

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
France vs England is going to be very interesting from a french standpoint because it's going to be a very young team. England should win but we will see what the under 23 can do.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Another draw for the Wallabies, their 3rd of the year and 2nd 16-16 draw for the year.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Lukhan Salakaia Loto has been sent off for a high tackle. The fact Angus Gardner didn't take long over the decision is a very clear indication of how blatant a red card it was. This is Australia's 3rd red card since January 2017 drawing them level with NZ in that timeframe.

As this happened in the 60th minute, we won't hear any squeeling about the need for the red card sanction to be altered.
It’s not like the rule is new at this point, I don’t understand how these players keep doing this. The one today he made no effort not to hit him high :lol:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
LSL red card.

Oof, hits like this always look horrendous. How was the player who got hit?

I'm sure there are folks who bemoan the shoulder to head rule in some situations, but when you hear ex players talk of life altering changes, altered personality and behaviour, depression, lasting physical effects, the push to lower tackle heights is extremely justified.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Oof, hits like this always look horrendous. How was the player who got hit?

I'm sure there are folks who bemoan the shoulder to head rule in some situations, but when you hear ex players talk of life altering changes, altered personality and behaviour, depression, lasting physical effects, the push to lower tackle heights is extremely justified.
Yeah I found in hard to get used to but they’ve got the mitigation element of it right now, what I couldn’t stand was reds when the player was falling and it was clearly accidental. It’s definitely an improvement in terms of keeping the game safe.
Missed the Aus Arg match, my IPTV packed up

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
What do folks make of Sexton saying he wants to be at the next world cup? The odds are surely against that being a good idea, but here he is starting again today in a pretty meaningless match.

Is it a case of the challengers not doing enough that it seems actually possible, or should the management be moving him on and putting faith in the next generation? And, I suppose, some of those who might have been challengers being off the board entirely for different reasons hasn't helped.

arnie_ni

What channel is this on? I can't find it

Last edited:

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
What do folks make of Sexton saying he wants to be at the next world cup? The odds are surely against that being a good idea, but here he is starting again today in a pretty meaningless match.

Is it a case of the challengers not doing enough that it seems actually possible, or should the management be moving him on and putting faith in the next generation? And, I suppose, some of those who might have been challengers being off the board entirely for different reasons hasn't helped.
Him playing is half the reason I can't be arsed to watch us anymore, he should of retired after the world cup he's 35 he isn't getting better and only wants to play his way.

It's the same mistake Irish rugby keeps on making not moving on players that are past it physically.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Him playing is half the reason I can't be arsed to watch us anymore, he should of retired after the world cup he's 35 he isn't getting better and only wants to play his way.

It's the same mistake Irish rugby keeps on making not moving on players that are past it physically.
Very understandable. The window to throw fully behind new players at 9 and 10 is probably gone for the generation who should have got a shot at it, and it'll probably rumble on indecisively until too close to the next World Cup to for the next generation to get enough experience.

It really hasn't helped that Carbery has had a horrendous time with injury, even though I'm not sure 10 was his best position.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Very understandable. The window to throw fully behind new players at 9 and 10 is probably gone for the generation who should have got a shot at it, and it'll probably rumble on indecisively until too close to the next World Cup to for the next generation to get enough experience.

It really hasn't helped that Carbery has had a horrendous time with injury, even though I'm not sure 10 was his best position.
It's probably going to be between Ross Byrne's brother and Healy at Munster in the long run, Ross should have got his shot now though, a bit like Thomas o Leary did there for a while at scrum half in-between the stringer era and Murray era.

RORY65

Sexton is clearly well past his best but there's no point putting someone else in just because they're younger, you have to believe that in time if you trust them and play them that they can become good enough and to be honest if Ross Byrne or Billy Burns are our first choice 10 then we're in big trouble anyway, I can get holding on to potentially a more talented crop emerging.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Sexton is clearly well past his best but there's no point putting someone else in just because they're younger, you have to believe that in time if you trust them and play them that they can become good enough and to be honest if Ross Byrne or Billy Burns are our first choice 10 then we're in big trouble anyway, I can get holding on to potentially a more talented crop emerging.
They're probably not, but Byrne probably still should have got a proper shot. And players like Carty should have got more than the last five mins of the odd 6N match before being expected to perform at a world cup.

9 is way more glaring in that Murray was massively out of form with others excelling in the position but not given their shot. Cooney would have every right to feel bitter.

RORY65

They're probably not, but Byrne probably still should have got a proper shot. And players like Carty should have got more than the last five mins of the odd 6N match before being expected to perform at a world cup.

9 is way more glaring in that Murray was massively out of form with others excelling in the position but not given their shot. Cooney would have every right to feel bitter.
I agree about 9 because Murray's decline happened earlier and there were better options there than there are at 10. There's definitely a conservatism in Irish rugby but I'm not sure the options at 10 are a fair example because none of them are particularly good.

2 Neville's

Flattering score line for Wales today but faletau and tipuric at 7 and 8 is some of the best back row play you could wish to see. Other than that, some positives but Pivac has a lot to do for the 6 nations if he wants to keep the job long term.

JPRouve

Scout
The kids are doing well, for the moment I'm impressed.

Zoo

Amazing defence from the French on their own try line. That was 11 phases against England and they kept them out.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
It's going to work in the second half, I don't see France maintaining their current level for 80 minutes.
I don’t know......this french side is so inexperienced maybe they don’t know how to fall apart in the second half in the traditional french manner :D

JPRouve

Scout
If Daly, May and Itodje weren't english I would love them. Brilliant players.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I stuck a fiver on France last week at 8/1, before I realised their B team would be playing. Win-win for me this :D

Jack-C20

Bloody hell! Still got to get it through the posts which hasn’t been easy today.

Jack-C20

I’m a little surprised Farrell kicked that. Fair enough he made the important one but he’s been off today.

JPRouve

Scout
Excellent discipline from England, it's not an easy context.

Jack-C20

Jeez what a hard fought game. Still think kicking responsibilities should have been passed over earlier on but fair play for getting that one and the try conversion. Immense pressure on that.