Rugby 2020 discussion

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
No, what he asked actually made sense. He said that they saw the ball grounded but want to check the grounding.
That to me doesnt make sense. If he saw the ball grounded then that implies he checked the grounding live so why would he recheck the grounding? If he saw the grounding but wasnt certain how the ball had made it over the try line then surely he should award the try on the pitch but ask the TMO to check if there is any reason why he cannot award the try? That way the TMO will look at all parts of the build up to the try for any knock on and will also check the grounding.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That to me doesnt make sense. If he saw the ball grounded then that implies he checked the grounding live so why would he recheck the grounding? If he saw the grounding but wasnt certain how the ball had made it over the try line then surely he should award the try on the pitch but ask the TMO to check if there is any reason why he cannot award the try? That way the TMO will look at all parts of the build up to the try for any knock on and will also check the grounding.
That part is totally wrong, it implies nothing. It simply means that he saw the ball grounded meaning that no one was between the ball and the ground but he wanted to check the particular action of grounding the ball. As for the rest, he didn't ask what you suggested because he didn't want for the TMO to check all parts of the build up, referees used to do that in the past, particularly during the 2015 RWC, but it was one of the reasons behind unnecessarily lengthy stoppages. In this case the only part that the referee wanted to check was the action of grounding and he asked for that which is exactly what World Rugby wants, that referees make an on field decision try or no try and ideally limit the TMO to a particular action.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
That part is totally wrong, it implies nothing. It simply means that he saw the ball grounded meaning that no one was between the ball and the ground but he wanted to check the particular action of grounding the ball. As for the rest, he didn't ask what you suggested because he didn't want for the TMO to check all parts of the build up, referees used to do that in the past, particularly during the 2015 RWC, but it was one of the reasons behind unnecessarily lengthy stoppages. In this case the only part that the referee wanted to check was the action of grounding and he asked for that which is exactly what World Rugby wants, that referees make an on field decision try or no try and ideally limit the TMO to a particular action.
Ah ok that does make sense. In that he saw the ball on the floor with a player on it but didnt see how it got there. I do think there were too many delays previously for TMO stoppages as the on field refs were going upstairs for everything.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Predictions for this weekends 6 nations fixtures?

Ireland will need to watch out for England’s back row speed not to mention the strength of the pack. Tough to call but England must be favourites?

Wales v France: which French team will show up in Cardiff? DuPont and team can be brilliant but struggled to dominate against Italy and were 2nd best against England late on. Wales will be looking to get back on track. Too tough for me to call.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
Regarding Wales v France, I would give the edge to Wales. Their forwards are more experienced and disciplined, the backs are evenly matched. And indiscipline was the main issue for France against Italy and also a few game management mistakes from Ntamack, the younger players need to understand the value of playing most of the game in the opponent's territory, particularly at this level.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Scotland should beat Italy, Wales to win an exciting, high scoring game in Cardiff and something tells me Ireland will beat England. The big game this weekend though is the Queensland Reds against the Sunwolves in super rugby which the Reds will win.

diarm

Scotland should beat Italy, Wales to win an exciting, high scoring game in Cardiff and something tells me Ireland will beat England. The big game this weekend though is the Queensland Reds against the Sunwolves in super rugby which the Reds will win.

I don’t know re England vs Ireland

Not been impressive in either game so far, wondering if the World Cup run took a little bit more out than expected as a lot of the same players

I’d probably still back them, but absolutely wouldn’t be surprised with an Ireland win as England do seem a little off the pace, World Cup hangover or whatever it is

JPRouve

Scout
Reading the "offside" thread made me realize how culturally different Football and Rugby are. Football seems incredibly conservative and intransigeant, when you think of the offside rule on rucks or the 10 meters rule on kicks, the way the rules are applied basically depend on the referees philosophy and as long as he is consistent no one actually cares about whether it was a millimeter or a foot. An other example is what is a flat or forward pass, it depends entirely on the referee and most people seem to be fine with it.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Reading the "offside" thread made me realize how culturally different Football and Rugby are. Football seems incredibly conservative and intransigeant, when you think of the offside rule on rucks or the 10 meters rule on kicks, the way the rules are applied basically depend on the referees philosophy and as long as he is consistent no one actually cares about whether it was a millimeter or a foot. An other example is what is a flat or forward pass, it depends entirely on the referee and most people seem to be fine with it.
Hmmm not sure about that, if you ever look on twitter during a big game, inevitably there'll be loads of tweets complaining about offsides. Usually because it's not consistent!

JPRouve

Scout
Hmmm not sure about that, if you ever look on twitter during a big game, inevitably there'll be loads of tweets complaining about offsides. Usually because it's not consistent!
I'm talking about serious conversations, not the idiots populating twitter. The rules or their interpretations change almost every year in Rugby and it's not as much a drama as it is in Football. People will discuss the pros and cons and move on, just look at scrums this season.

Last edited:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I'm not talking about serious conversations, not the idiots populating twitter. The rules or their interpretations change almost every year in Rugby and it's not as much a drama as it is in Football. People will discuss the pros and cons and move on, just look at scrums this season.
:lol: Fair enough.

Rooney1987

Rather strange England starting 15. Ireland have to be happy looking at that England team. Would rather have had Genge over Marler and George over LCD however still ok with the front 5. Starts to fall apart after. Playing Lawes at 6 is idiotic, playing our best player Curry at 8, sticking with Youngs, Joseph on wing and Daly at 15. Also Tuilagi at centre just back from injury is a risk considering his replacement on bench has also just come back from an injury with a 6-2 split in bench too. Any injury to the backs England are fecked.

Last edited:

diarm

Henderson out and Toner in for Ireland. Seems the Hendersons have had a baby a little earlier than they'd expected and Iain has understandably gone home to be with his family.

Tight one to call this - I don't rate Eddie's selections in a few areas but at the same time, I worry our backrow is a little light weight to deal with their power.

JPRouve

Scout
Hastings is having a tournament that would kill your international career in most top nations.

JPRouve

Scout
I was just going to ask about lifting tackles, referees are seemingly ignoring a lot of them lately, particularly in rucks.

JPRouve

Scout
That's not a yellow, he isn't the tackler and he supports his weight.

Hephaestus

Brilliant defence from France, horrible from Wales. Massive chance to go in just 1 point down and with a man advantage to start the second half and we squandered it.

diarm

Dupont is such a class act. He's been the difference here. Davies doing his best Ben Youngs impression with some of his decision making in that half. French second rows have been outstanding as well.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Brilliant defence from France, horrible from Wales. Massive chance to go in just 1 point down and with a man advantage to start the second half and we squandered it.
You simply must score in that scenario. It's a psychological thing as much as anything.