Ryan Giggs. Professional, Legend, Adulterer, Accomplice, Assassin, Usurper?

Devil may care

Wow, so because our board decided it would be a great idea for him to be an understudy to Van Gaal, one of the game's most experienced managers, after he showed some promise in his brief spell as an interim manager, he's a snake with the character of Grima Wormtongue for taking the offer? You do realise you are just projecting all of this stuff onto Giggs without having a clue what he's doing in his day-to-day job as Van Gaal's assistant? It's yet to be seen whether he will be handed the reins.
The promise he showed? He had 4 games in charge, we were crap in them and he only won 2 of the 4. If he had any character he'd go and become a real manager and find his way back here. Instead he's sitting like a vulture waiting to pick the bones of LvG.

......Or doing his job and assist LVG in the public domain too. If he doesn't feel like he can do it, because he disagrees with the way things are being run, then he should quit. In no way do I see him doing his utmost to aid the manager, and that's his job.
Agreed, that whole show pony routine on the touchline was so transparent, separating himself from his boss.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Giggs is a hungry man with tremendous sex drive, he usually gets what he wants for whatever costs and he will make us very hungry and drive us to many titles!

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
fecking baffles me.....Some of you lot actually want him in right now. That's laughable!

As I said before;

"The players should play with speed, passion, tempo, blood and thunder" - Andy Tate December 2013
"This will be my philosophy. The players will play with speed, tempo, passion and ehhhhhhhhhh... (long pause) just enjoy it" - Ryan Giggs April 2014

This was Sunderland, destroying us, at Old Trafford, under Ryan Giggs....Or was it Andy Tate?

Of course, some of you may say "Oh but that's the Moyes affect"......Fair enough but, what happens if that happens now? You can't call that the LvG affect....And, as much as I hate Moyes (and I hate him) no opposing team played like that whilst he was in charge, at Old Trafford...Nor has any team under LvG, at Old Trafford.....

You want Giggs in, get used to this....You'll be calling for his head and booing him a few months into his reign...Him shouting "WAZZA! Tuck in!" against Norwich makes no bit of a difference

If LvG can't last 18 months here, and the fact a lot of you are dismissing Mourinho, what fecking good is Giggs gonna do? There will be a thread here, calling for his head after 2 months... And probably rightly so

You get what you ask for
Giggs needs to go elsewhere and do his thing. How some of you can't quite grasp that is beyond me

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I don't think any managers in the world can make us click in one go

Leicester didn't have that problem because the players cause little problem, they're not spoiled, Raniery told them to do A, they do A.

We have too many primadonas, pundits, and ex SAF crony crying over everything, they complain about chips, about training to hard, about how the managers want to play, about who's playing, about who will become the next manager etc.

You can't do much with this lot, a manager will only shine if the players adhere to his instructions, having too many loose cannon or half hearted down tools will diminish his effectiveness.

So unless some order is restored, we're far from promised land

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
fecking baffles me.....Some of you lot actually want him in right now. That's laughable!

As I said before;

"The players should play with speed, passion, tempo, blood and thunder" - Andy Tate December 2013
"This will be my philosophy. The players will play with speed, tempo, passion and ehhhhhhhhhh... (long pause) just enjoy it" - Ryan Giggs April 2014

This was Sunderland, destroying us, at Old Trafford, under Ryan Giggs....Or was it Andy Tate?

Of course, some of you may say "Oh but that's the Moyes affect"......Fair enough but, what happens if that happens now? You can't call that the LvG affect....And, as much as I hate Moyes (and I hate him) no opposing team played like that whilst he was in charge, at Old Trafford...Nor has any team under LvG, at Old Trafford.....

You want Giggs in, get used to this....You'll be calling for his head and booing him a few months into his reign...Him shouting "WAZZA! Tuck in!" against Norwich makes no bit of a difference

If LvG can't last 18 months here, and the fact a lot of you are dismissing Mourinho, what fecking good is Giggs gonna do? There will be a thread here, calling for his head after 2 months... And probably rightly so

You get what you ask for
Giggs needs to go elsewhere and do his thing. How some of you can't quite grasp that is beyond me

Oh come on, have you ever played the game at any decent level?. If you had then you would know that a brand new coach taking up the reigns with only a few days on the training pitch really doesnt have much of a show of making any real difference. I dont want Giggs as our next manager but this video in context of the time shows us absolutely nothing with respect to Giggs coaching and management. If you are seriously using this as an example of how bad Giggs is then you have absolutely no clue about what goes on in the real football world and should maybe simply stick to FM. I dont think Giggs is the right man or ready to manage Utd but this is just ludicrous as an example of reasoning to use against him.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Just put eleven grown up men and let them enjoy football, that's a load of bullshit

If anyone believes for a change that Redknapp and Alex Ferguson didn't have any tactical instructions and simply put names on formation like what we did in the class when we're bored they must have been smoking something.

Some managers give simple tactical instructions which could have worked if they have the right personnel and the teams are built for it, but it doesn't mean anyone can jump into a new team, put a starting xi and expecting much from it.

.Rossi

Oh come on, have you ever played the game at any decent level?. If you had then you would know that a brand new coach taking up the reigns with only a few days on the training pitch really doesnt have much of a show of making any real difference. I dont want Giggs as our next manager but this video in context of the time shows us absolutely nothing with respect to Giggs coaching and management. If you are seriously using this as an example of how bad Giggs is then you have absolutely no clue about what goes on in the real football world and should maybe simply stick to FM. I dont think Giggs is the right man or ready to manage Utd but this is just ludicrous as an example of reasoning to use against him.

Actually, you know what Fergie.... I deleted my original post.

You're right, I never played the game at a decent level (like yourself). Which makes it pointless arguing with Stack from the Internet. You're right and I'm wrong.

Stack

Actually, you know what Fergie.... I deleted my original post.

You're right, I never played the game at a decent level (like yourself). Which makes it pointless arguing with Stack from the Internet. You're right and I'm wrong.
You took a short bit of selective video from a game when Giggs had run maybe 3 or 4 training sessions and used it as an example of how bad Giggs will be. Surely you can see just how daft that is??

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
“Giggs wants the job and those who know him well are convinced he’s got what it takes to be a top manager, but with United in free-fall, the club might decide it’s too much too soon and go for experience,” Andy Mitten

Don't know if posted.

.Rossi

You took a short bit of selective video from a game when Giggs had run maybe 3 or 4 training sessions and used it as an example of how bad Giggs will be. Surely you can see just how daft that is??
Those games are the only evidence we have of Giggs as a manager... And it's not a ringing endorsement.

I can gather plenty of other clips and passages of play if I was arsed. That just happened to be the handiest. More to the point, you don't want him as a manager so what's the problem?

As I said, I can go through those 4 or 5 games and highlight even worse shit than that gif

Stack

Those games are the only evidence we have of Giggs as a manager... And it's not a ringing endorsement.

I can gather plenty of other clips and passages of play if I was arsed. That just happened to be the handiest. More to the point, you don't want him as a manager so what's the problem?

As I said, I can go through those 4 or 5 games and highlight even worse shit than that gif
If you are going to make a case against Giggs then use relevant examples instead of being disingenuous with selective information portrayed out of context. Its the sort of thing that hurts the credibility of the real arguments against Giggs as a manager.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I would love Giggs to be our manager but not in current situation. If Van Gaal is to complete his 3 year tenure, team be in lot better shape than current, couple of world class, difference-making players in the squad, then yes, Giggs risk will be worth taking. Not right now. We need someone proven to take us out of this rut. Till then, Giggs can manage Swansea and get more experience.

Godfather

“Giggs wants the job and those who know him well are convinced he’s got what it takes to be a top manager, but with United in free-fall, the club might decide it’s too much too soon and go for experience,” Andy Mitten

Don't know if posted.
Hope so

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Every top manager including Pep has worked at a smaller team first before going on to bigger and better things. Why should Giggs be any different?

it is ridiculous his name is even being suggested.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Don't know if posted.
Mitten chats out of his arse. Was adamant Rooney wouldn't play vs Norwich.

sugar_kane

Just put eleven grown up men and let them enjoy football, that's a load of bullshit

If anyone believes for a change that Redknapp and Alex Ferguson didn't have any tactical instructions and simply put names on formation like what we did in the class when we're bored they must have been smoking something.

Some managers give simple tactical instructions which could have worked if they have the right personnel and the teams are built for it, but it doesn't mean anyone can jump into a new team, put a starting xi and expecting much from it.
You're dead right, it's a gross misinterpretation of Fergie's management style by players and pundits who are far less clever than him.

If it was simple as that everyone would do it.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Every top manager including Pep has worked at a smaller team first before going on to bigger and better things. Why should Giggs be any different?

It must have happened surely? I can't think of an example but there must be a few ex players who got a top managerial job based on their name and literally zero experience as a manager?

Stack

It must have happened surely? I can't think of an example but there must be a few ex players who got a top managerial job based on their name and literally zero experience as a manager?
Kenny Dalglish?.
I do wonder if Liverpool are partly responsible for the whole promoting internally thing when they were doing it during the 70's, 80's etc?
Shankly-Paisly-Fagan-Dalglish

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Kenny Dalglish?.
I do wonder if Liverpool are partly responsible for the whole promoting internally thing when they were doing it during the 70's, 80's etc?
Shankly-Paisly-Fagan-Dalglish
The great thing Liverpool had going for them at that time was they were promoting from within from a position of strength. If Pep Guardiola had failed at Barcelona, the Giggs for United manager conversation possibly wouldn't be taking place.

Rory 7

I had hoped Giggs would take over a team that LVG built that was a success. I don't think it's right to appoint Giggs to rescue a failing United.

JoaquinJoaquin

Exactly. If fecking Zidane (arguably a better player) has to coach the Real Madrid Castilla team first, then surely Giggs would have to do similar.

In fact, I should be pissed off at Giggs for actually having the audacity to expect he be given one of the most lucrative management jobs in Football because of his playing career.

Rory 7

Exactly. If fecking Zidane (arguably a better player) has to coach the Real Madrid Castilla team first, then surely Giggs would have to do similar.

In fact, I should be pissed off at Giggs for actually having the audacity to expect he be given one of the most lucrative management jobs in Football because of his playing career.
I don't think he does expect it. The plan was for Ryan to take over a winning United team in 2017, after three years under LVGs wing. Yes it's a different approach to most managerial appointments but can we not give the club some credit for at least trying to create some continuity and stability from within? That plan is in tatters now. Can we stop with the Giggs bashing already? Please.

RedPnutz

Don't know if posted.
And if this happens, the new manager needs to get rid of Giggs.

RedPnutz

If you are going to make a case against Giggs then use relevant examples instead of being disingenuous with selective information portrayed out of context. Its the sort of thing that hurts the credibility of the real arguments against Giggs as a manager.
I suppose given most of us are posting on a forum and not writing a thesis, it is understandable that most posters won't be sifting through every piece of data.

If everything that is posted here needs full-disclosure of information or be backed by solid concrete evidence, this forum would see a lot less participation.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca

Link to quotes of Giggs saying he expects the job please?

Or have you just made this up?

Dante

Average bang

As I said before;

You get what you ask for
We only lost 1-0. Had 63% possession and 17 shots on goal, to their 8. I'd hardly say destroyed.

It was also 2 games from the end of the season and was a complete and utter dead rubber for United. Because Giggs had promised everyone in the squad a bit of playing time at that stage of the season, he'd started Young and Nani as the front 2. It was a meaningless game for us. Effectively a friendly in the regular season and a chance for everyone to taste a bit of PL football before the Summer. It's no surprise the opposition were more motivated. When you're playing a midfield 2 of Carrick and Fletcher against a side battling for survival (Sunderland were desperate), those spaces are going to happen. I'd be a lot more confident that Giggsy could set up a compact formation now that he's been under LvG's tutelage (the same system Pep has been emulating for the last few years).

His 4-0 win he had against Norwich would be just as solid an example as the one you posted.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
I suppose given most of us are posting on a forum and not writing a thesis, it is understandable that most posters won't be sifting through every piece of data.

If everything that is posted here needs full-disclosure of information or be backed by solid concrete evidence, this forum would see a lot less participation.
We can only dream!

Dante

Average bang
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs
Standing on the line
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs
Standing on the line
Feared by his family
Loved by their wives
Ryan Giggs
Ryan Giggs
Ryan Giggs

Stack

Well there is the simple case of integrity and honesty so if you are happy to use a selectively chosen tiny sample of video footage of a game where he had actually only run maybe 2-3 training sessions as an example of a lack of competence to do a job then fine, be disingenuous. There are a ton of valid and sensible reasons why Giggs shouldnt be our next manager, but common sense shows that video footage as an example isnt one of them.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
O come on for gods sake, Any United fan and anyone with eyes can see it's the main job he expects.
Absolute rubbish. He wants it obviously but that's entirely different. You're slagging a man for a sense of entitlement that he hasn't even voiced.

There's plenty of arguments for Giggs not getting the job. However painting him as someone who thinks it's his divine right, as you have consistently been doing, isn't backed up with any actual evidence whatsoever and so is unfair as well as inaccurate.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Clarification please, are you implying that it is ok to bang your brother's Wife for eight years (or commit serial adultery) because of how his dad or family shaped his views?

Should a child rapist or molester be forgiven or less guilty because he or she was sexually abused as a child?

And come on. How can Suggesting a person may have certain unscrupulous characteristics that may cause him to create trouble in a working environment; be as low as cheating on a family member and causing that family to break up and creating embarrassment for the people involved?
I'll go one better and say it's perfectly fine to commit adultery. If you're going to go there you'll need to be able to handle the consequences, though.

As presented, your analogy is a rather disgusting and underhanded attempt to associate Giggs, and perhaps all adulterers, with actual criminals. I'll return the "and come on" to you and ask if anything in your past has led you to hold these views; if so, I'll at least have a better understanding of your extremely judgemental behaviour herein, even if I disagree with it.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I'll go one better and say it's perfectly fine to commit adultery. If you're going to go there you'll need to be able to handle the consequences, though.
Well quite. He's certainly shown himself to be utterly unsavoury in a way that your average adulterer might not be. Why does it matter?

It would make very little difference to his managerial credentials, except it undermines the purblind sentimentality upon which those credentials are almost entirely based. If Pep or Klopp had done the same thing it would matter not a bit, because their credentials are based on proven ability.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Well quite. He's certainly shown himself to be utterly unsavoury in a way that your average adulterer might not be. Why does it matter?

It would make very little difference to his managerial credentials, except it undermines the purblind sentimentality upon which those credentials are almost entirely based. If Pep or Klopp had done the same thing it would matter not a bit, because their credentials are based on proven ability.
A fair and honest assessment, delivered without judgement. I salute you, sir.

RedPnutz

As presented, your analogy is a rather disgusting and underhanded attempt to associate Giggs, and perhaps all adulterers, with actual criminals. I'll return the "and come on" to you and ask if anything in your past has led you to hold these views; if so, I'll at least have a better understanding of your extremely judgemental behaviour herein, even if I disagree with it.
My analogy was NOT to associate adulterers, nor Giggs with criminals, but to highlight the absurdity of your comment about how what he did seemed ok or less severe because of how his views were shaped as a child or his background. I am sure you know that "Adultery" is a crime is some states and religions, not in your country perhaps and neither in mine, but just because adultery may not be classified as a legal crime in your justice system does not mean it creates no harm to people. What you are almost saying is, it is perfectly fine to commit (an act that harms people) as long as you can handle the consequences, or maybe as long as you don't get caught.

But this is digressing too far away from the OP.

It's quite the pot calling the kettle black here. You claim I am using a disgusting and underhanded attempt to discredit Giggs; I don't see what's underhanded about posting a thread that i mentioned was pure conjecture and my opinion only. I haven't gone around gossiping to Giggs' mates or release anonymous letters to the press, have I? I have even said right at the start that it is mostly groundless and has no concrete evidence. How are you not being extremely presumptuous and judgmental about my behaviour then?

And to answer your "come on", nothing in my own personal past has led me to hold these views. But I volunteer as a social worker and counselor outside work and I have seen many cases of families being broken up, with usually innocent children being the unwitting victims of divorce and the repercussions are not easily brushed away. People do get hurt and affected. In work and other aspects of life, I have observed that the character traits in one aspect (e.g., dishonesty) easily extend to other aspect of the same person's life. These are my experiences and observations, not yours and that's absolutely fine.

Look, if you feel so damn offended about this thread then I suggest you stop reading. No need to trying to discredit a forum post by probing about background to better understand my character and value system. If you cannot even entertain the idea that such a possibility as suggested in the OP exists, then so be it.

RedPnutz

Absolute rubbish. He wants it obviously but that's entirely different. You're slagging a man for a sense of entitlement that he hasn't even voiced.

There's plenty of arguments for Giggs not getting the job. However painting him as someone who thinks it's his divine right, as you have consistently been doing, isn't backed up with any actual evidence whatsoever and so is unfair as well as inaccurate.
This forum is full of posters who jump to conclusions without reading or thinking through so let me clarify first.

Yes, there are plenty of arguments for Giggs not getting the job. And no, he has never voiced the fact that he thinks it is his divine right.

But may I ask, do you seriously expect Giggs to say in an interview, clearly and irrevocably "The job of Manchester United manager should be given to me because it is my right as an old trafford player legend." Maybe if that's the solid actual evidence you want, you probably are never going to get it.

Also, you say "He wants it obviously" where's the concrete evidence for that? Did he say "I definitely want to be Manchester United Manager"?

RedPnutz

Well there is the simple case of integrity and honesty so if you are happy to use a selectively chosen tiny sample of video footage of a game where he had actually only run maybe 2-3 training sessions as an example of a lack of competence to do a job then fine, be disingenuous. There are a ton of valid and sensible reasons why Giggs shouldnt be our next manager, but common sense shows that video footage as an example isnt one of them.
I think it is actually quite clear that there are plenty of reasons that are valid and sensible regarding why Giggs shouldn't be our next manager. In various threads, posters have made good points and I believe many have read and agreed.

But we are not trying to talk about ALL of the points in ALL of the threads

You guys are too serious on the internets and forum. Integrity and honesty? I thought it was simply selection bias or confirmation bias or something like that. I thought it was a reasonable thing to give an example when one's making a point? Now it seems like we've gotta show our entire datasets, research methods and include a bibliography for a post.

I mean, even if there was plenty of clips showing Giggs' incompetence or whatnot, I'd hardly be expecting him to show every single clip on a forum post! Neither would be expecting a forum post to be littered by caveats and disclaimers. It's not a freaking investment prospectus.