Sadio Mane | Performances

mu4c_20le

Would've been a good fit at Madrid but for some reason they never went for him.

Tavern in the town

He was already fantastic before he joined Liverpool, he would have ended up the way he is no matter which big club he joined.
Not really sure how you can be so certain of that. We’ve signed plenty of players who looked excellent at their former clubs and most haven’t turned out well.

LARulz

He was already fantastic before he joined Liverpool, he would have ended up the way he is no matter which big club he joined.
Don't think so. He was a good player but not this clinical and fantastic. If he came here we wouldn't have the same player. Also when we were linked with him a lot of people mocked the idea

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Don't think so. He was a good player but not this clinical and fantastic. If he came here we wouldn't have the same player. Also when we were linked with him a lot of people mocked the idea
I used to watch every Southampton game just because of him. He was superb. At the time there were some on here who spouted absolute drivel about him. He had it all and it was easy to see. Technically gifted, a huge work rate, he would track back all the time to help in defence, he was always hungry for the ball, always Southamptons most dangerous player and did it game after game after game. The people mocking the idea were the ones throwing out dumb arguments that werent even true, they just spouted idiotic things they had heard some other idiot say. LVG not signing him was the single worst decision with respect to player recruitment we have made in a very long time.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Finally had depth in attack after years of playing the same three players week in, week out, and now they are back to having few options.

Maybe Bowen will happen now? Or Dembele?

BerryBerryShrew

Would've been a good fit at Madrid but for some reason they never went for him.
It's a bit strange that they're not going for him now that the Mbappé dream is dead. Especially since Mané is even better on the right than he is on the left.
Vinicius-Benzema-Mané would be lethal.

LARulz

I used to watch every Southampton game just because of him. He was superb. At the time there were some on here who spouted absolute drivel about him. He had it all and it was easy to see. Technically gifted, a huge work rate, he would track back all the time to help in defence, he was always hungry for the ball, always Southamptons most dangerous player and did it game after game after game. The people mocking the idea were the ones throwing out dumb arguments that werent even true, they just spouted idiotic things they had heard some other idiot say. LVG not signing him was the single worst decision with respect to player recruitment we have made in a very long time.
He was definitely good even back then, as I think most people did, but don't think we can say with confidence he would have been as big a success here. Almost any player we have signed in the last 10 years has at best stagnated. Mane benefited from Klopp's management, team structure and the general dressing room being less mental than ours

Josh 76

I don't understand why players do this, see it happen so many times these days.
Players saying they almost signed for their main rivals.
Real or Barca, Arsenal or Spurs, Man United or City/Pool and all vice versa.

What's the point, other than trying to score points with your fan base, which unless you a Liverpool fan, should be meaningless.
On the eve of the biggest one off club game in the world, and all he can talk about is how he nearly signed for UTD. These lot need to let it go and enjoy their temporary success.

Josh 76

That'd be a drop in quality. Jota/Diaz offer good depth but Mané is on another level.
Good point. Having players like Mane and Salah, who play week in week out, never get injured, score lots of goals and maintain a level of 80/90% every week, is almost rare.

The Jota’s and Diaz’s of this world are great squad players and may have a run of a few games in which they score goals, but ask them to do it for 50/60 games a season, the answer is NO CHANCE!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It would be nice for him to sign off with the CL so a big 4-0 win for Real would be lovely.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Will Bayern use him centrally? He looks much better in the middle now than he does outwide

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Good point. Having players like Mane and Salah, who play week in week out, never get injured, score lots of goals and maintain a level of 80/90% every week, is almost rare.

The Jota’s and Diaz’s of this world are great squad players and may have a run of a few games in which they score goals, but ask them to do it for 50/60 games a season, the answer is NO CHANCE!
Diaz looks like another Mane to me. Jota’s a decent backup but clearly a level down.

Josh 76

Diaz looks like another Mane to me. Jota’s a decent backup but clearly a level down.
Diaz will be found out next season. Teams will be more wary of him. Let’s see how he does in the cold winter months. He is not on Mane’s level.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
He’s 30 years old and in the last year of his contract. There’s also probably a little bit of the fact that he’s a club legend and they’d rather let him go on good terms if that’s what he wants.
Bayern also let Thiago go to Liverpool for a reasonable fee with one year left on the contract. Maybe a quid pro quo.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Have I missed confirmation or something? Seems like only fairly unreliable sources like L'Equipe reporting this?

RVN1991

He says he nearly signed for us. We had a contract all agreed. I don't remember many concrete links at the time.
I remember them, was absolutely gutted we didn't sign him, he looked absolute class at Southampton always showing up against the big six sides.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Salah has said he is staying unfortunately
That’s great news to be honest. They’ll smash their wage structure to keep a 30+ year-old who’ll begin his decline relatively soon, all the while van Dijk, Alisson, Alexander-Arnold will be beating down the manager’s door to get parity with Salah’s mega deal.

A notoriously miserly Henry won’t sanction all those deals so expect either a) player exits, or b) unhappy squad members. Both scenarios are not positive for Liverpool at all.

RedDevil@84

That’s great news to be honest. They’ll smash their wage structure to keep a 30+ year-old who’ll begin his decline relatively soon, all the while van Dijk, Alisson, Alexander-Arnold will be beating down the manager’s door to get parity with Salah’s mega deal.

A notoriously miserly Henry won’t sanction all those deals so expect either a) player exits, or b) unhappy squad members. Both scenarios are not positive for Liverpool at all.
Salah didn't confirm new deal. He just said he will be there for another season guaranteed.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.

He may feck off on a free either ! Might be better, might be worse. Have a feeling Salah might be past it soon.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

We haven’t agreed a new contract. He’ll likely leave for free next summer at the age of 30.

iamking

Personally, I don't think the Mane thing is happening. No point getting happy over this until its official

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The rumor makes sense in a way he won the CL and League title with Liverpool already. He may just want a new challenge and also get his last big contract.

marktan

30m to Bayern if the reports are true.

I feel like that kills Liverpool's chances of the league next season. They've only managed to catch up to City because they finally signed some attacking depth in Diaz, now they're not only going to lose that, but in my opinion the best attacker they have.

Whilst Salah is great, for me Mane has always been the key. When he had a dip in form last season with his touch disappearing they looked crap, now that he's found his grove again they look great. As good as Diaz he's not near the level of what Mane can provide yet.

RedDevil@84

I feel like that kills Liverpool's chances of the league next season. They've only managed to catch up to City because they finally signed some attacking depth in Diaz, now they're not only going to lose that, but in my opinion the best attacker they have.
If Mane goes (and that is a doubt), they will quickly move and seal a deal with a new attacker in a week. And 6 months down the line, we will be cribbing how we didn't go for that cheap deal on an awesome player.