SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness or memes please)

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Chicken and egg situation seeing as this is the same government who cut the funding for police forces making it near impossible to actually police anything.
Funny how they are now advertising for Police and Army. Didn't they realise they were short in numbers or something?

redshaw

UK is 138 deaths 398 cases from government info.

Good to see lowish case numbers for Tue

Ekkie Thump

The discrepancy between the figures is mentioned on the UK specific page:

1,240 new cases and 138 new deaths in the United Kingdom. The Government reported 398 new cases today, in addition, the total lab-confirmed cases for Wales now include Pillar 2 tests which means that the total number of UK lab-confirmed cases has increased by 1,240 since yesterday. As the Welsh methodology is improved, some revisions are expected in the next 1 to 2 weeks.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
A thread full of good suggestions!

WI_Red

Supports
Atlanta United
Moderna vaccine Phase I results just been published in NEJM. Look pretty good too. Bumped their share price 16%.
I saw that article. I am going to tamp down my enthusiasm, but it does look promising. I think this would be the first mRNA vaccine ever approved, right? The concept of mRNA vaccines is hella cool and eliminates some of the concerns with attenuated virus or protein antigen based vaccines. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I’m interested to know what life is like in most of China, or previously sketchy areas that quickly got the virus under control like parts of Japan and S. Korea. Has life returned to normal for you yet? Are you able to move around freely, go to bars and restaurants and use trains/transport as you did before? Or are there still big measures in place, measures that we should still be following in the UK?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I saw that article. I am going to tamp down my enthusiasm, but it does look promising. I think this would be the first mRNA vaccine ever approved, right? The concept of mRNA vaccines is hella cool and eliminates some of the concerns with attenuated virus or protein antigen based vaccines. Keeping my fingers crossed.
https://www.phgfoundation.org/briefing/rna-vaccines

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
my old PI worked on targeted RNA therapies and he quoted eye-watering prices for a single dose. i'm not 100% sure why the manufacturing is so difficult - it cn't be just making the sequence itself - but i wonder if that will change for the massive mass production this might require.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
my old PI worked on targeted RNA therapies and he quoted eye-watering prices for a single dose. i'm not 100% sure why the manufacturing is so difficult - it cn't be just making the sequence itself - but i wonder if that will change for the massive mass production this might require.
I believe that rna vaccines are theoretically cheaper and faster to produce when scaled up. I'd guess the high price is because we have never done this yet.

WI_Red

Supports
Atlanta United
I believe that rna vaccines are theoretically cheaper and faster to produce when scaled up. I'd guess the high price is because we have never done this yet.
I don’t even think production will be an issue. I look at the price of custom oligo production when I got to grad school in 2002, it’s not even close to the same.

I think the real issue is going to be transport and stabilization. mRNA is crazy unstable, and shipping doses at -80 or in storage solutions chock full of ribonuclease inhibitors is probably a no go. I am not sure if any of the commercial room temp storage option (like RNAstable) are usable.

Long story short there are reasons why rna vaccines have yet to make their debut even though they off advantages. Nothing like a pandemic induced dumping of cash to speed it along.

lynchie

Kinda looking forward to the emerging theories as to why all these people are dying in Texas, Florida, etc, given the virus doesn't exist.

lynchie

"The mRNA-1273 vaccine induced anti–SARS-CoV-2 immune responses in all participants, and no trial-limiting safety concerns were identified."
Sounds good! Is this the same sort of approach the Imperial vaccine is based on as well?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Kinda looking forward to the emerging theories as to why all these people are dying in Texas, Florida, etc, given the virus doesn't exist.
"The US health system is so bad that people easily die of a common cold."

That's not even outlandish.

Smores

How is an enclosed office environment different from a shop environment?

Coronavirus: Matt Hancock rejects face coverings for offices

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53415030
Offices should be putting in place social distancing measures is the main reason i think. There's a big difference between wearing one for a brief shop visit where social distancing isn't possible and all day at your desk when you're already 2 metres apart.

lynchie

"The US health system is so bad that people easily die of a common cold."

That's not even outlandish.
But saying the US health system is substantially worse at dealing with the common cold this year, in a number of red states, doesn't really give the message they're looking for - that Democrats are making this up to affect the election.

Like, it basically has to be that Dems are killing people?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But saying the US health system is substantially worse at dealing with the common cold this year, in a number of red states, doesn't really give the message they're looking for - that Democrats are making this up to affect the election.

I know. But there is no way out of it, either the virus is real or the US health system is shoddy or both. The Trumprites don't realize that they are not helping their cause with their nonsense.

Smores

I know. But there is no way out of it, either the virus is real or the US health system is shoddy or both. The Trumprites don't realize that they are not helping their cause with their nonsense.
"If it wasn't for Obamacare and the Dems blocking Trumps wonder drugs we'd have saved them all".

It'll be some bollocks like that but with a lot more capitals.

decorativeed

They have already had to come up with a change of narrative to explain why it's not only happening in 'Dem states' now. Mental gymnastics worthy of olympic medals.

acnumber9

Offices should be putting in place social distancing measures is the main reason i think. There's a big difference between wearing one for a brief shop visit where social distancing isn't possible and all day at your desk when you're already 2 metres apart.
There is big difference and it’s not one that supports wearing them in shops over wearing them in offices.

Phil

You come here looking for genuine information about the virus, which you do get and is great, but you leave wondering how America is so broken.