SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Yeah, true. In very hot/humid countries people are driven indoors to air conditioned environments which could give the virus cool, dry conditions and a captive audience!
But also presumably with much better ventilation systems / air circulation. Was definitely my experience in Singapore anyway. So in the summer in places like the UK people are outside or have doors and windows open more often than people in somewhere like Singapore any time of the year, but in winter people in the UK are inside as often if not more and they also have worse air circulation in in a lot of places.

Then again SE Asia is quite diverse. Not sure you can say ventilation systems in much of e.g. Vietnam is better. But then that also links to the desire to be indoors.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I wonder what Johnson will announce for London specifically. No one seems to give a shit here about covid.
Don’t be silly, it’s only the Northern areas that have traditionally been anti-Tory that are being locked down - Liverpool, Lancashire mining areas, North East, etc. London will be given a free pass.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Don’t be silly, it’s only the Northern areas that have traditionally been anti-Tory that are being locked down - Liverpool, Lancashire mining areas, North East, etc. London will be given a free pass.
London's rate of infection is - officially - nowhere near that of parts of the North. Although that could well have something to do with how difficult it's been to get testing round here.

And, right now, Labour has a far higher representation in London than anywhere else in the UK. The old divisions no longer exist.

Crustanoid

The bulletin on BBC right now seems to indicate the authorities are starting to realise the South East and London might follow the NW and NE. They might actually start caring more now.

Bloody hell, even viruses won't support the Labour Party.

fergieisold

A nice press conference. Writing is on the wall that unless we do something we risk a rapid deterioration in the infection rates and hospitalisations. The Liverpool hospitalisation curve was particularly concerning, look to be about half the peak of April.

Jacko21

A nice press conference. Writing is on the wall that unless we do something we risk a rapid deterioration in the infection rates and hospitalisations. The Liverpool hospitalisation curve was particularly concerning, look to be about half the peak of April.
Feels like they're trying to sober people up ahead of the coming weeks/months.

F-Red

The data would suggest that it isn't politically motivated, but you knew that already.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The data would suggest that it isn't politically motivated, but you knew that already.

I've got no understanding of politics at all, however there is no way that all these northern cities are feeling the strength of the virus and London is feeling more chilled out is it?

The data is obviously manipulated to keep the economy in London going.

We saw countries question China about its manipulated data and I believe what we are seeing now is ours.

F-Red

Important steps on the testing front. A close friend of mine (works in NHS) is in isolation after testing positive last week, they got it from their manager who came into the office with it and has infected 6 of her colleagues. They all had no symptoms and wasn't able to get a test. Thankfully they saw a bit of sense and got tests, unfortunately one of the colleagues is now in ICU (fit, healthy and early 30s). If they're struggling with testing even for NHS workers, then it doesn't paint a great picture of improvement for the public in the coming weeks.

F-Red

How is it?

Mobility data, which showed the number of people going to work in London in April during the height of the lockdown was 77% lower than before the pandemic. I can't see that has improved massively.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I still can't fathom how there are some occupations who get a test on a weekly basis, while the staff that work in the COVID wards don't see a swab entering our orifices unless we say "I've got a cough".

Before moving on to our new rotations in August, we all had an antibody tests to see if we've had it. A friend of mine who hasn't taken a single day off during the whole of COVID had a positive antibody - which means at some stage, he was an asymptomatic carrier of COVID. This whole thing about staff not getting tested unless we get symptoms is ridiculous. What's happened in our sister hospital where outbreaks of COVID occurred on a few "clean wards" indicate that it is likely a member of staff may have given it to them. Can you really blame them if they were asymptomatic and were oblivious that they were transmitting it to patients?

I'm sure it differs from hospital to hospital - a friend of mine who works in one of the large Emergency Departments in London gets swabbed on a weekly basis - which 100% should be the case.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Your argument would carry some logic if London wasn't significantly impacted in the first wave.
And, don't forget, London escaped specific extra measures in that first wave despite it having more cases than anywhere else. And, now that the Furlough support is being scaled back, the Northern lockdown is being scaled up

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I've got no understanding of politics at all, however there is no way that all these northern cities are feeling the strength of the virus and London is feeling more chilled out is it?

We saw countries question China about its manipulated data and I believe what we are seeing now is ours.
Different regions have been affected at different times in various countries. Here's Galicia in Spain in May. @JPRouve could tell you about the highly regional aspect of the virus throughout the pandemic in France. At the beginning of the pandemic in Europe, it was reported over and over again how the north of Italy was hit particularly hard, especially in Lombardy.

You don't need conspiracy theories to explain why the data shows that the north has many more cases now than the south. Just as you didn't need an explanation for why Birmingham had local restrictions placed earlier, following the highest case rates.

Simbo

Well our local coffee van guy turned up an hour early this morning (trafford) if you want a proper indicator of increasing cases and people isolating.

F-Red

Exactly - but they didn't have a local lockdown. Glad you're realising what I'm saying now
Local lockdowns would have been the preferred measure from the start, but they dropped a b*llock early doors and had to input the national lockdown. However you're saying that there is a conspiracy as to why there is a local lockdown, and my point is the data clearly suggests that the North is f*cked and the South isn't based on case rates. No point on having the same measures for both the North & South if the data is completely different.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

Potentially, but London was also ravished by the virus during the first wave. There's a chance that Covid was able to take hold here in a way it's only just doing now in other cities.

The nature of London's economy has also meant people are much more able to work from home/adapt to new Covid-aware working conditions.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

In Ireland we’ve got the capital city getting hammered but also smaller, less populous counties doing very badly for no obvious reason. They’re also in the north of the country, mind you.

SiRed

I would like to understand the governements end goal in all of this... Is it to get rid of Covid completely - which is not going to happen. So what is the point in restricting people to lockdowns and such? How many months of my life am i going to be wasting and why?
I know the risks, i am aware of the advise. As an adult, this should be enough for me to life my life how i want to. If i catch it, its my fault. If i die, its my fault, and the same for everybody else. If someone does not want to catch it and chooses to isolate themselves completely then that is fine, but it should also be fine for me to have a meal, play football, let me kids play out with other people, enjoy some wine at a friends if i choose to.

F-Red

I would like to understand the governements end goal in all of this... Is it to get rid of Covid completely - which is not going to happen. So what is the point in restricting people to lockdowns and such? How many months of my life am i going to be wasting and why?
I know the risks, i am aware of the advise. As an adult, this should be enough for me to life my life how i want to. If i catch it, its my fault. If i die, its my fault, and the same for everybody else. If someone does not want to catch it and chooses to isolate themselves completely then that is fine, but it should also be fine for me to have a meal, play football, let me kids play out with other people, enjoy some wine at a friends if i choose to.
I don't think they know what the end goal looks like until they see a vaccine. Their goal, until a vaccine is developed, has always been ensuring the NHS and it's critical care capacity isn't overwhelmed.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
At no point in your rant do you take into account being a possible spreader. It’s all about you

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
WAGs and players gotta spend and enjoy that money, and bring it home, infecting their partners.
I suspect its because footballers or their bubble members don't have the discipline to stay isolated.
International football must be a massive super spreader currently. You had the Scotland and Ireland cases at the weekend with Connollly and Idah sitting 1.9m from ROI official who was tested positive and I think a few cases in recent weeks were lagged from the September round of games.

Considering there's currently a fair few premier league players in South America I imagine that trend will continue going into November.

BTW I travelled outside of the West Midlands for first time since early March on Saturday. Went for a look around Winchester so had to change a few trains to get there. Now I'm always interested in people claiming hardly anyone are wearing masks as in my experience of using public transport in last few months the compliance is very high and was same on the trains, pretty much everyone was wearing a mask bar one elderly couple sitting to the right of me.

Was going to say something but quickly realised one was Timothy West and the other Prunella Scales (Fawlty Towers) so thought ah you're national treasures I'll let you off.:lol:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
If letting everyone take their own chances only affected themselves then that would be fine. But it doesn't.

djembatheking

My daughter has just had a text message from the school to say that one of the kids in my 3 year old grandsons bubble has tested positive and he now has to self isolate for 14 days. He can`t be tested unless he shows any symptoms and his 8 year old brother can still go to school and his dad can still go to work . He travelled to school on a minibus which doesn`t have to stop either. There is no wonder it is spreading like mad.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
A few weeks ago before it kicked off again it was less than 8%.
Would surely be higher though given they were going off confirmed cases in March-April rather than the more logical number of 100K a day given number of deaths.

If it was really 100k a day for March-April and May then you're talking 6m covid cases right there so 10% straight off.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
My daughter has just had a text message from the school to say that one of the kids in my 3 year old grandsons bubble has tested positive and he now has to self isolate for 14 days. He can`t be tested unless he shows any symptoms and his 8 year old brother can still go to school and his dad can still go to work . He travelled to school on a minibus which doesn`t have to stop either. There is no wonder it is spreading like mad.
There is some logic to that. So long as your grandson is in the very early stages of his (potential) illness the chance of him passing it on is fairly low. By keeping him out of school they reduce the chance of him infecting others if/when he gets symptoms and starts shedding virus. At that point he should be tested, while the other members of his household self-isolate. And so on.

The minibus just needs a deep clean. Which it should be getting every day anyway.

djembatheking

There is some logic to that. So long as your grandson is in the very early stages of his (potential) illness the chance of him passing it on is fairly low. By keeping him out of school they reduce the chance of him infecting others if/when he gets symptoms and starts shedding virus. At that point he should be tested, while the other members of his household self-isolate. And so on.

The minibus just needs a deep clean. Which it should be getting every day anyway.
Yes, I can see the sense as otherwise we would never get out of a lock down situation. It just makes you realise how difficult this thing is to contain, there is no right or wrong it is just a matter of having as little contact as possible with other people and doing our best to shield the vulnerable.