SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

decorativeed

Its kind of funny - i would question the monitoring of productivity BUT a productivity tool / macro was created about 2 months before lockdown - and it was me who created it. Talk about shooting yourself in your own foot. I could easily sabotage the excel formula's a nobody would be none the wiser but if i got caught id be in hot water.
Bad timing, that! It's great being the only person who knows how things like that work though. I used to work alone in the office at weekends, and spent the first day learning how to automate all my tasks with excel. Every weekend after that was basically a case of pressing a button then sitting back and watching TV for much of the day!

SiRed

Bad timing, that! It's great being the only person who knows how things like that work though. I used to work alone in the office at weekends, and spent the first day learning how to automate all my tasks with excel. Every weekend after that was basically a case of pressing a button then sitting back and watching TV for much of the day!
Sounds like you should be the one tracking all these COVID figures instead of Serco. Sounds like it would be in safer hands

Jacko21

I’m considered medically vulnerable and apart from medical appointments and today’s dental appointment I don’t really see anyone other than my wife and children since March. I’m ok but I worry about the stress on my wife as she has basically bought fully into cocooning too for my sake. She hasn’t seen her family since like January (they live in England), and she works from home so not getting even to see work colleagues. It’s starting to give her anxiety. We desperately need a small break somewhere. Fcuk 2020
Looks like shielding advice will be updated in the coming hours/days inline with the new three-tier system. But there are no easy answers. There is talk of shielding becoming more tailored (which is sensible) based on patient data, COVID-learnings and even an algorithm. But that won't be of comfort to everyone and many will still need/want to protect themselves. Unsurprisingly, rates of anxiety and depression are higher amongst shielders.

As early as April/May I began trying to mentally prepare myself for effectively 'writing off' the rest of the year - I guess that way I wasn't setting myself up for disappointment. Particularly given how challenging winter could/will be. I'm privileged to be able to WFH and can avoid any situation I consider too risky. Whereas some are told they are Clinically Extremely Vulnerable but have been forced into choosing between their health and their income. I really feel for those people. The impact of shielding should not and cannot be underestimated.

finneh

That’s far from the only grey area.

For someone who is vulnerable (which could apparently be argued to be 25% of the Uk population) how do they shield themselves when they get a haircut? Visit the dentist? Go and see their GP? Or a physiotherapist? What if they would like to spend some time with their family?

And what about vulnerable people still at work? How do they earn a living doing one of the dozens of types of job that can’t be done from home, if their co-workers are likely to be riddled with the virus?

The whole “shielding only the vulnerable” strategy puts an intolerable burden on a not insignificant proportion of the population. It’s an incredibly harsh and unfair solution. Which will likely result in enormous death/hardship regardless.
I fully agree that they couldn't shield in areas with community transmission. They would need to shield somewhere with no community transmission, very few cases and a full support network around them so they didn't need to shield in the traditional sense. They would no doubt have to fully and voluntarily isolate themselves from regions with community transmission.

Whether after lockdown with cases low, with aggressive focused testing and a strict internal border in a certain area of the country this could be achieved I'm unsure (with "support" staff generously compensated... Voluntary sign up of course). Likewise whether a voluntary (no-one would be forced to shield) army imposed 14 day Covid tested quarantine, combined with transport to somewhere with low or no cases is possible again I'm unsure.

Whilst I'd never want Chinese style restrictions imposed upon me or anyone I knew involuntary; we know that they work in eliminating transmission in the areas they're imposed.

All might well be stupid ideas but with money literally no object the inability to at least provide the vulnerable with an option seems absurd (hell even a 12 month cruise after the aforementioned quarantine for a few thousand people at a time!)

arnie_ni

There is some logic to that. So long as your grandson is in the very early stages of his (potential) illness the chance of him passing it on is fairly low. By keeping him out of school they reduce the chance of him infecting others if/when he gets symptoms and starts shedding virus. At that point he should be tested, while the other members of his household self-isolate. And so on.

The minibus just needs a deep clean. Which it should be getting every day anyway.
But why isnt everyone in the household isolating at the same time?

I cant understand this part. What if the child and parents are asymptomatic and then spreading it through their workplace

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
So everywhere south of Leicester is apparently doing fine are they?
This is me just lazily inputting the data from here into a map

Here's the breakdown by city in recent times. This breaks it down further.

What's behind your question?

Last edited:

United Hobbit

They're only reviewing the alert level every 4 weeks? Surely it should be every week?

Good They're helping businesses that have to close.

What if I live in a postcode that's fine but work in one that's high or vice versa?

F-Red

What if I live in a postcode that's fine but work in one that's high or vice versa?
If it's a job that means you can't work from home, and that hasn't closed due to the restrictions (bars & restaurants in Liverpool for example), then carry on as normal.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Chris Whitty’s had his crayons out this afternoon.

Smores

Fascinating politics. Labour MPs avoided a lockdown tier 3 in Manchester despite the Conservatives wanting one. Nice test case though. Liverpool vs Manchester with the different restrictions.
Liverpool always have to be higher in the table

Rooney1987

Liverpool.

So pubs have to close apart from ones that do food of course, like Spoons etc.
Anything Tim Martin wants I guess. Every Weatherspoons in high or very high risks areas be getting a massive shipment of cheap food soon and a menu change. Plate of chips with 3 pints for a fiver.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I’m considered medically vulnerable and apart from medical appointments and today’s dental appointment I don’t really see anyone other than my wife and children since March. I’m ok but I worry about the stress on my wife as she has basically bought fully into cocooning too for my sake. She hasn’t seen her family since like January (they live in England), and she works from home so not getting even to see work colleagues. It’s starting to give her anxiety. We desperately need a small break somewhere. Fcuk 2020
Bless you mate. It’s like a fecking nightmare all of this.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
For a second I thought people were saying Labour and or Conservative voters were responsible. Now that would be an interesting question!
I was expecting them to blame the EU. They were blamed for everything else.

Just hire an Airbnb or similar and drive somewhere. We did the same after the main lockdown in Italy first lifted. You just need a change of scenery, even if it's not far away.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
Clever move by Boris if I've understood it right. The government has set the basic restrictions, leaving the local authorities to add what they wish. So those that complain about them, whether they think them too strong or too weak, will be told to blame their local authority rather than the government.

What the northern mayors have been asking for, more responsibility. Is it a case of be careful what you wish for?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just hire an Airbnb or similar and drive somewhere. We did the same after the main lockdown in Italy first lifted. You just need a change of scenery, even if it's not far away.
I don’t drive and missus is a new driver, a nervous one at that. Not gonna happen unfortunately

Dave_MUFC

I was considering doing something similar recently as I need a break, but would still be very nervous with regards to the hygiene of the home owner, if they've just had guest leave a few hours before you arrived, if someone had the virus who stayed in the bed the night before and was coughing on it, thus leaving bacteria dug into it..

I guess I'm a slight hypochondriac, but better to be safe :lol:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I was considering doing something similar recently as I need a break, but would still be very nervous with regards to the hygiene of the home owner, if they've just had guest leave a few hours before you arrived, if someone had the virus who stayed in the bed the night before and was coughing on it, thus leaving bacteria dug into it..

I guess I'm a slight hypochondriac, but better to be safe :lol:
I was gutted to lose my annual holiday this Summer but even when wondering if it was going to happen I realised if you can't totally switch off and relax it's a waste of money. That's the whole point of a holiday to me sure it's nice to see different things but waking up knowing there is no work and the day is mine and I am super chilled out is a lot of it personally.

Dave_MUFC

I was gutted to lose my annual holiday this Summer but even when wondering if it was going to happen I realised if you can't totally switch off and relax it's a waste of money. That's the whole point of a holiday to me sure it's nice to see different things but waking up knowing there is no work and the day is mine and I am super chilled out is a lot of it personally.
Can't agree with you more.

Seeing on social media lots of people I know (and used to know) jetting away to various countries over the last few months boggles my mind. Really don't understand how you can have a holiday and have the stress of being in the airport/plane, taking all the precautions etc.

I guess In that case, ignorance is bliss, and they don't really think about any of this :rolleyes:

TheGame

Clever move by Boris if I've understood it right. The government has set the basic restrictions, leaving the local authorities to add what they wish. So those that complain about them, whether they think them too strong or too weak, will be told to blame their local authority rather than the government.

What the northern mayors have been asking for, more responsibility. Is it a case of be careful what you wish for?
This is not true at all. I work for a local authority and we do not have powers to enforce restrictions. These are all set by the Government but they have consulted large authority mayors in their decisions.

prateik

The flu kills about 30-60k in the US in year. This has killed 220k in 7 months in the US and it'll get a lot worse in the winter..

And all this despite lockdowns, people wearing masks and a lot of precautions.. no one cares with the flu.. People go to work, kids go to school. no masks.. nothing.

I don't understand people still comparing this to the flu..