SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Andy_Cole

The flu kills about 30-60k in the US in year. This has killed 220k in 7 months in the US and it'll get a lot worse in the winter..

And all this despite lockdowns, people wearing masks and a lot of precautions.. no one cares with the flu.. People go to work, kids go to school. no masks.. nothing.

I don't understand people still comparing this to the flu..
Of course there’s comparisons to be made. The difference is the flu has been around for 100 years so people have built up immunity to it. Yet it’s still killing half a million a year.

I’m sure if no vaccine comes out Covid maybe another disease everyone just has to live with and hope builds immunity to it.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Of course there’s comparisons to be made. The difference is the flu has been around for 100 years so people have built up immunity to it. Yet it’s still killing half a million a year.

I’m sure if no vaccine comes out Covid maybe another disease everyone just has to live with and hope builds immunity to it.
My money’s on that happening regardless. Vaccines,, natural immunity and treatments will reduce the mortality rate to something we can live with but it’s here to stay, more than likely. It’s also possible the virus will evolve to become less dangerous.

Last edited:

Andy_Cole

Thats a very silly statement mate.
Well how would you do it?

There’s probably a way to suit your agenda (for example total number of cases vs deaths which boosts it to like 2/3%) but clearly the number getting tested isn’t everyone who has the virus. There’s no way to get an exact figure. I suppose if someone has the data of September UK cases vs deaths that’s something I’d listen to.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
This is not true at all. I work for a local authority and we do not have powers to enforce restrictions. These are all set by the Government but they have consulted large authority mayors in their decisions.
The BBC says 'The government said it would work with local councils on the additional measures for each area '. I'm reading would work, not just has worked, which indicates to me that if the local authority asks for changes they are likely to get them. I'm quite willing to be wrong but I'm not accepting 'it's not true at all' either.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

The flu from 100 years ago is different to the flu we see today. There is a reason we see a new version of the flu vaccine each year. We havent built up immunity to it at all, people still catch it.

Tony Babangida

The difference is the flu has been around for 100 years so people have built up immunity to it.
This isn’t quite right as influenza mutates at a high rate allowing it to evade immunity. This is known as antigenic drift. Influenza can also recombine with other strains and change very rapidly, known as antigenic shift. So the immunity you build vs one influenza strain does not necessarily confer immunity to another. This is one of the reasons the vaccine has to be changed so frequently.

Good news is that SARS-CoV-2 mutates more slowly than influenza, so this is likely to be less of a problem.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Anyone else getting really annoyed with the government constantly harping on about how being able to travel to see your family on Christmas and boxing day will absolutely, definitively happen, with a 0% chance of being lockdowned during that period?

In July/August, everyone thought the world would be back to normality by now, not heading into another wave, so not sure how that statement can be made with so much confidence.

Telling people that if they don't respect rules and try to lower the risk, otherwise there's a chance we don't get to see family at Christmas would surely install a bit of worry amongst the doubters, and get people to abide a lot more.

But oh wait, what about the Christmas economy.... :rolleyes:
You are joking right? 'second wave' has been the big buzzword from the second cases and death rates started declining the first time.

arnie_ni

Isnt ni in a worse stat than Liverpool atm? Surprised we aren't locked down again

TheGame

The BBC says 'The government said it would work with local councils on the additional measures for each area '. I'm reading would work, not just has worked, which indicates to me that if the local authority asks for changes they are likely to get them. I'm quite willing to be wrong but I'm not accepting 'it's not true at all' either.
That line means it is working with them (yeah right) in the higher risk areas regarding implementation and management. The fact that some authorities in Liverpool did not want a wide area lockdown but just those areas with high figures means they disagreed with the Government. Same with South Yorkshire because of Sheffield infection rates. The Government sets lockdown measures not local authorities. We just get given all the work in trying to manage them with little or no money.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
What's to stop people from Liverpool, for example, heading over to Manchester for a night out? These lockdowns assume people exist in small bubbles which simply isn't the case.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
That line means it is working with them (yeah right) in the higher risk areas regarding implementation and management. The fact that some authorities in Liverpool did not want a wide area lockdown but just those areas with high figures means they disagreed with the Government. Same with South Yorkshire because of Sheffield infection rates. The Government sets lockdown measures not local authorities. We just get given all the work in trying to manage them with little or no money.
[
I see, thanks, in that case I have overestimated the gains by 'the mayors'. Be interesting to see if they have much to say tomorrow.

Carolina Red

Staff
Only 4 cases which in of itself is good news. And the mix of reinfections being better and worse is also encouraging as is all 4 producing antibodies after the second infection.
5 now.

“According to the case study, his second infection was more severe than the first, with symptoms including fever, cough and dizziness.

The researchers sequenced the RNA from both virus samples and found they were two different strains, making it a true reinfection.

Scientists have not concluded why someone might contract the virus twice or if some people are more predisposed to reinfection. The Nevada case marks the fifth case globally of reinfection, and scientists say so far that such instances are rare.”

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...ftEBo0m7xmRDnptqm2V-rq8ygLNdWGse2r5xK_MVZfH-M

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
5 now.

“According to the case study, his second infection was more severe than the first, with symptoms including fever, cough and dizziness.

The researchers sequenced the RNA from both virus samples and found they were two different strains, making it a true reinfection.

Scientists have not concluded why someone might contract the virus twice or if some people are more predisposed to reinfection. The Nevada case marks the fifth case globally of reinfection, and scientists say so far that such instances are rare.”

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...ftEBo0m7xmRDnptqm2V-rq8ygLNdWGse2r5xK_MVZfH-M
Given that the majority of initial infections are mild or asymptomatic and thus produce antibodies less often than more severe infectioms we would probably expect reinfections to be worse on average.

Last edited:

Carolina Red

Staff
Given that the majority of initial infections are mild or asymptomatic and thus produce antibodies less often than more severe infectioms we would probably expect reinfections to be worse on average.
I reckon. I just thought the article was interesting, especially since it is a “true reinfection” with multiple strains being caught.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I reckon. I just thought the article was interesting, especially since it is a “true reinfection” with multiple strains being caught.
I think all 5 cases are almost certainly true reinfections. I'm really glad there aren't more even if we won't have caught all of them. You would have to expect a much higher reinfection rate would be apparent if it was very widespread.

Carolina Red

Staff

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Hmmm. Fair enough.

edit: this is what I’d read. Apparently I mixed it up in my head that all had restarted recently but it’s the non-US trials. The US trials are/were under further investigation by the FDA
https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/comment/azd1222-covid-vaccine-trials-astrazeneca/
With such conditions there is no point to a longer shut down just as there wasn't when someone got MS. If however you got another case or two then there would be a real concern that the vaccine caused the condition.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
With such conditions there is no point to a longer shut down just as there wasn't when someone got MS. If however you got another case or two then there would be a real concern that the vaccine caused the condition.
I had a similar reaction to travel vacs over 20 years ago. I ended up with paralysis and spinal cord damage and spent a week in a neuro hospital. For some people with autoimmune disorders, vaccines can trigger MS or if you're lucky, just a single episode.