g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
The difference being that having some border control would at least provide some protection to foreign mutations of the virus which have been allowed to come freely into the country with zero warning. It is probably an expensive thing to setup and that's why we're not doing it because of how broke we are as a country thanks to fecking brexit. Alternatively the Government simply don't care and have the attitude of dealing with the next crisis when it arises rather than even pretending to defend us against it.

It's a very strange way of dealing with a global epidemic though.

@Sparky_Hughes - my sister got a covid test a few days ago and it took a little bit over 48 hours to process.
Cheers bud
You don't need to isolate. If her kids dad tests positive you could consider it but even then probably not necessary.
Cheers

Fluctuation0161

It's not surprising it's so bad here when the track and trace system is dogshit. My parents have covid and they get messages almost every day to tell them to isolate until a certain date but the date is never the same. The website to list where you've been and who you may have been in contact with is utter shite too apparently.

My dad is a key worker, only two people he works with got pinged by the app. The rest of them are still working! Madness.
I agree track and trace is terrible.

But I think the app only notifies people if they have been in close proximity for over 15 minutes?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Have tested positive today. Got a fever that comes and goes but get's worse at night to the point of shivering, slight shortness of breath, rough throat and chest, occasional dry chesty cough, fatigued. Still got my sense of taste and smell though so gonna at least be able to enjoy food whilst isolating.

Could have been much worse!
Good luck!

acnumber9

Relating to how my own personal experience effects affects my ability to think rationally is hardly armchair psychiatry, echoed by the original poster who whom I was replying. Someone who actually suffers from mental health issues.

I have no idea how many people with mental health issues are incapable of rational thought due to their condition but apparently you do. But I do know a bandwagon jumper when I see one.

So thanks for the expert advise Sigmund, its much appreciated but I'll pass :lol:
You saying you don’t feel those things so it’s not an issue portray an ignorance as to the effects of depression. Doesn’t take an expert to know it either. But if it doesn’t affect you that way then why it affect anybody else that way? Your sarcasm is incredibly misplaced.

Acole9

Outstanding
I agree track and trace is terrible.

But I think the app only notifies people if they have been in close proximity for over 15 minutes?
This is in a warehouse environment though where they're pretty much rubbing shoulders, social distancing non existent.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Have tested positive today. Got a fever that comes and goes but get's worse at night to the point of shivering, slight shortness of breath, rough throat and chest, occasional dry chesty cough, fatigued. Still got my sense of taste and smell though so gonna at least be able to enjoy food whilst isolating.

Get well soon mate.

Not been following this thread enormously closely so if anyone else has tested positive I wish you the best as well.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

Take it easy there dude, good luck!

Roger

You saying you don’t feel those things so it’s not an issue portray an ignorance as to the effects of depression. Doesn’t take an expert to know it either. But if it doesn’t affect you that way then why it affect anybody else that way? Your sarcasm is incredibly misplaced.
I did not state, or suggest, that other peoples mental health is not an issue. But be my guest and make stuff up if it makes you feel better. However, It does take an expert, or least someone with considerable knowledge to know the proportion of people, with mental health issues, that are incapable of making rational decisions. Oh! and of course you.

Sorry for upsetting you with my sarcasm, snowflake. But you started this with your pop at me so suck it up. Reply if you like. I'm done. I'm bored replying to this drivel and your comments contribute nothing to the issue of mental health.

acnumber9

I did not state, or suggest, that other peoples mental health is not an issue. But be my guest and make stuff up if it makes you feel better. However, It does take an expert, or least someone with considerable knowledge to know the proportion of people, with mental health issues, that are incapable of making rational decisions. Oh! and of course you.

Sorry for upsetting you with my sarcasm, snowflake. But you started this with your pop at me so suck it up. Reply if you like. I'm done. I'm bored replying to this drivel and your comments contribute nothing to the issue of mental health.
I never intimated anything about the proportion of people. Merely that the fact you don’t feel that way means the grand total of feck all. Continue with your childless insults all you want.

F-Red

Just had a call from my gf, her kids dad has been working with someone who has tested positive, they have been with him, then her, and her with me. His test is tomorrow, how long roughly do test results take at the moment guys, and I'm assuming this means I should isolate immediately?
Current average for the UK as a total is 3.0 days, it was as high as 3.4 this week. Testing backlogs are present in the data, but wouldn't be surprised if a test tomorrow returns a result on Monday/Tuesday given the festive break.

Today's case data broke down into the following days:

1,387 were from tests taken Tuesday (4%)
16,737 Monday (49%)
8,874 Sunday (26%)
2,600 Saturday (8%)
3,947 Friday (12%)
481 Thursday (1%)
113 Wednesday

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
TL;DR version?
My take from a brief scan is that memory b cells were measured (and therefore memory t cells, the numbers of which correlate with b cells) and grew in number up to 150 days post infection and were detectable for 242 days (and presumably still ongoing) which gives us some optimism that vaccination will provide long term protection. Certainly it suggests that at the worst an annual booster will be sufficient.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Current average for the UK as a total is 3.0 days, it was as high as 3.4 this week. Testing backlogs are present in the data, but wouldn't be surprised if a test tomorrow returns a result on Monday/Tuesday given the festive break.

Today's case data broke down into the following days:

1,387 were from tests taken Tuesday (4%)
16,737 Monday (49%)
8,874 Sunday (26%)
2,600 Saturday (8%)
3,947 Friday (12%)
481 Thursday (1%)
113 Wednesday
Thanks chap

noodlehair

"It's like..."
What if there's a middle ground, noodle? What if the vast majority of people agree that the situation is very hard, and people disagree on whether people should be expected to make the hard choices that are in the best interests of society over themselves, essentially every time? Not in normal life, but just right now. The whole wartime spirit thing. There was incompetent government then too. There were selfish desires then too. But in the end people made sacrifices for the greater good, even if it had the most devastating consequences for themselves and those in their close circle. Why is it so unreasonable to expect individuals in a society to make those almighty sacrifices, for a limited period of time, if we really believe in the idea of the society? A functioning government makes it easier to believe in that, and it makes it easier to take those choices with the appropriate support system in place, but why should it be required?
It's not about a "middle ground". It's about people making idiotic assumptions from a position of complete ignorance, and then using them to cast judgement on other people, which there has been too much of going unchallenged in this thread at certain times. Don't get me wrong there's been a lot of good and informative discussion as well, particularly from people who know a lot more about the science than I do, but the ignorance when it crops up is particularly grating.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the rest of your post because, as I explained in the post you quoted, I have not broken any of the rules or guidelines and have stuck to them despite it being a huge and lonely personal struggle. I clearly wouldn't be doing that if I didn't think that was what I and people should be doing. Basically my whole life since March has been about managing a way through this and helping others to do the same. So I consider I have a right to challenge someone who makes stupid accusations against me just because they haven't even bothered to educate themselves before pointing their finger around.

The common problem I have found in this thread isn't what people think we should or shouldn't be doing, or people's different interpretations on the science or government. It's the people who just blatantly have no appreciation of what is actually going on, because presumably it hasn't really affected them and they aren't willing to stick their head above the trench and look.

When the schools were closed for months on end, it meant millions of people couldn't feed, support or educate their children. A situation that was not sustainable for more than a short period. It wasn't as simple as "it's wrong to open them again because covid". This thread was particularly annoying around that time. If you wanted schools to open you were some kind of right wing demon, or something.

Whenever the government change restrictions or move the goalposts without prior warning, it throws a lot of people into a black hole. People then react out of desperation. They don't for the most part react because they are just brazenly doing whatever the feck they like. No one wants to be fighting with all their belongings to try and catch the last train out of town. No one does that unless they are desperate and in a panic. It doesn't make them Hitler. If you announce at 4.30pm that you are quaranteening one of the largest cities in the world later that same day, then there is a 0% chance that some people wont panic and try to leave. Acting like that is unacceptable makes you the irresponsible one, not them.

The problem with the "wartime spirit" analogy is it doesn't really work. During the war things were shit for basically everyone. On Friday some people will be happily spending Christmas with their family as normal having been mildly inconvenienced by this year, while others will have an empty chair where their dad should be, and others will be so lonely and isolated due to the situation that they will take their own life. Showing empathy is not about finding a middle ground or even about what you think people should or shouldn't be doing, it's about understanding a situation and the human aspect of it, instead of acting like it's a maths puzzle and some of the numbers aren't behaving themselves.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Well, that gives hope for immunity, i guess. Does that mean those who have recovered should be lower priority for vaccinations?
Possibly I guess but it was a very small sample size (and I haven't read every word - assuming I'd fully comprehend it all) and it might be easier just to vaccinate everyone anyway.

Last edited:

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
Woken up this morning and can’t smell anything. Everything else seems fine, I can taste things. Can you lose your sense of smell from anything else? Kids have been out of school for 2 weeks already and I’ve not been anywhere apart from the supermarket or met anyone.

Edit - temperature is 36.5

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Woken up this morning and can’t smell anything. Everything else seems fine. Can you lose your sense of smell from anything else? Kids have been out of school for 2 weeks already and I’ve not been anywhere or met anyone apart from the supermarket.
If you’re absolutely sure you’ve lost your sense of smell (also check if taste is affected?) and it’s not just a blocked nose from a head cold, then you should definitely get tested.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Woken up this morning and can’t smell anything. Everything else seems fine. Can you lose your sense of smell from anything else? Kids have been out of school for 2 weeks already and I’ve not been anywhere or met anyone apart from the supermarket.
Eesh. That's bad timing

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It's not about a "middle ground". It's about people making idiotic assumptions from a position of complete ignorance, and then using them to cast judgement on other people, which there has been too much of going unchallenged in this thread at certain times. Don't get me wrong there's been a lot of good and informative discussion as well, particularly from people who know a lot more about the science than I do, but the ignorance when it crops up is particularly grating.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the rest of your post because, as I explained in the post you quoted, I have not broken any of the rules or guidelines and have stuck to them despite it being a huge and lonely personal struggle. I clearly wouldn't be doing that if I didn't think that was what I and people should be doing. Basically my whole life since March has been about managing a way through this and helping others to do the same. So I consider I have a right to challenge someone who makes stupid accusations against me just because they haven't even bothered to educate themselves before pointing their finger around.

The common problem I have found in this thread isn't what people think we should or shouldn't be doing, or people's different interpretations on the science or government. It's the people who just blatantly have no appreciation of what is actually going on, because presumably it hasn't really affected them and they aren't willing to stick their head above the trench and look.

When the schools were closed for months on end, it meant millions of people couldn't feed, support or educate their children. A situation that was not sustainable for more than a short period. It wasn't as simple as "it's wrong to open them again because covid". This thread was particularly annoying around that time. If you wanted schools to open you were some kind of right wing demon, or something.

Whenever the government change restrictions or move the goalposts without prior warning, it throws a lot of people into a black hole. People then react out of desperation. They don't for the most part react because they are just brazenly doing whatever the feck they like. No one wants to be fighting with all their belongings to try and catch the last train out of town. No one does that unless they are desperate and in a panic. It doesn't make them Hitler. If you announce at 4.30pm that you are quaranteening one of the largest cities in the world later that same day, then there is a 0% chance that some people wont panic and try to leave. Acting like that is unacceptable makes you the irresponsible one, not them.

The problem with the "wartime spirit" analogy is it doesn't really work. During the war things were shit for basically everyone. On Friday some people will be happily spending Christmas with their family as normal having been mildly inconvenienced by this year, while others will have an empty chair where their dad should be, and others will be so lonely and isolated due to the situation that they will take their own life. Showing empathy is not about finding a middle ground or even about what you think people should or shouldn't be doing, it's about understanding a situation and the human aspect of it, instead of acting like it's a maths puzzle and some of the numbers aren't behaving themselves.
Yes, best post in the thread. Thank you!
The amount of judgment and high horse in this thread is astounding!!

reminds me of a friend who was all for staying in and saving lives and condemned anyone who dared stand in their nans garden against the rules to death, then soon as people could meet ‘officially’ was organising social distance poker parties ffs.

it’s as if peoples own dullness elevates then to a misjudged higher moral code

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Woken up this morning and can’t smell anything. Everything else seems fine, I can taste things. Can you lose your sense of smell from anything else? Kids have been out of school for 2 weeks already and I’ve not been anywhere apart from the supermarket or met anyone.

Edit - temperature is 65.3
Well, normal body temperatures are either 98.6 F or 37 C, so I think you should check that again.

djembatheking

Yep , I was doing my in laws shopping last week and saw a guy I know on the car park . He has been working from home and saved quite a bit of money and showed me his new car , he was upbeat about the whole thing really. I then delivered the shopping to my 77 year old mother in law who hasn`t been out since March with my 80 year old father in law who has Alzheimers and haven`t seen their grandchildren and great grandchildren since the weather got cold. My mother in law is really starting to feel it now. Both sides of the coin really .

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Let me just try and point to a specific reason for why a middle ground is not such a ridiculous notion::

They don't for the most part react because they are just brazenly doing whatever the feck they like. No one wants to be fighting with all their belongings to try and catch the last train out of town. No one does that unless they are desperate and in a panic. It doesn't make them Hitler.
Yes I agree it does not make them Hitler. No-one thinks it makes them Hitler. I also don't think it means they are brazenly doing whatever they like. That's one extreme you invent to contrast against the other extreme, which ultimately makes for a disingenuous discussion. I don't try to mischaracterise your views and I think this kind of reductio ad absurdum comes quite close to doing that.

Can you understand why people made that choice out of desperation? Yes. Does that make it an acceptable choice? No. That's where you differ with other people. Because it is such a difficult choice that they were forced to make, you wouldn't encourage that choice, but you wouldn't criticise it. That's fine. Criticising it is also fine. Criticism is a legitimately useful tool in a society to help people make decisions in the best interests of wider society, which often involve making decisions that aren't in your own best interests. Criticising people does not mean they are demonising them.

The rest of my post was not aimed at you but aimed at the people you want to defend against that criticism. It is an obvious truth that millions of people have not agreed with the notion that making those sacrifices for the greater good of society for that length of time was in their best interests. You want to focus on the reasons that can explain it, but it is a legitimate view that there are few reasons that justify that disregard of social responsibility in special moments. Those few reasons do not apply to the majority of those people the majority of the time.

If you speak to them about it they're open about that. You can see the same sentiment in this thread. They do not believe in that idea of self-sacrifice for the society in this moment, because they now distrust the society and the people in charge so much that it does not seem like a worthy sacrifice. I also consider that a legitimate view. But it is not one I agree with, it is one that presents clear danger to society, and it's one that I feel is useful to criticise.

So my point was when you see people criticising others, you think that can only be because they don't see the struggle, they think it's easy. That isn't true. It is because expect them to make the right choices when faced with hard decisions. More so now than normally. If they do not, they make things worse. That's an unfortunate responsibility that they are given, but it's a responsibility all of us are given. It's part of being in a society. If they don't want that societal responsibility then they can live with more freedom but without the protection that society provides.

During wartime there were many different struggles. People at home vs people on the front line. People in the bombing areas vs. people in nice quiet villages. There are always injustices in the world, some random, some a factor of the social structure. The experience my granny had on one side was wildly different from the experience my grandad had on another. They both carried that experience with them through the rest of their lives. So yes it is true that some people struggle more than others, that doesn't change the fact we are forced to live with the responsibilities put upon is on our situation. Choosing not to in war hurts other people. Choosing not to now hurts other people. It would be better if the environment didn't force that responsibility on us but it does. We can't just pretend our choices don't have that impact right now.

I will just say I find it very cruel to label someone as unempathetic and inhuman because they don't take your view on the world. I agree with you that everyone has their blindspots as to the struggles other people face. You have exposure to a lot of different struggles, but not all of them. I can absolutely guarantee you I have experienced and witnessed many struggles in this pandemic that you haven't, too. The fact that you think a different approach to tackling the problem does not mean you lack empathy, in my eyes, and I don't at all accept the implication in return. You can see the same broad struggle and disagree on the best way to solve the problems that are creating those struggles.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
My partner tested positive on the 22nd after a routine test at the hospital. Her only symptoms so far are the loss of taste and smell and a little stuffy. She is 31 weeks pregnant as well which is concerning me but they were adamant that she is at no greater risk of getting seriously ill. I myself have no symptoms but im absolutely sure I'm at least carrying it we have been in close contact.

Pretty bad time to get it over Christmas but at least we knew before we went to my parents and possibly passed it to them. The asymptomatic transmission of this virus is scary.

F-Red

So basically not enough people able to work from home or staying at home, whilst only less than 70% are paying respect to this virus
It's a mute for me that one, define essential. It's different in most peoples eyes. The one if you're worrying about respect of the virus is the self isolating percentage, this is people who have a higher chance of interaction or transmission with the virus and it's an extremely low number.

The encouraging statistics for me was hand washing and face coverings. There's a lot of chatter on here about face coverings not being worn (and surveys can never give a 100% reflection on society) but a 97% view on people wearing them is very high.