SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Let me just try and point to a specific reason for why a middle ground is not such a ridiculous notion::

Yes I agree it does not make them Hitler. No-one thinks it makes them Hitler. I also don't think it means they are brazenly doing whatever they like. That's one extreme you invent to contrast against the other extreme, which ultimately makes for a disingenuous discussion. I don't try to mischaracterise your views and I think this kind of reductio ad absurdum comes quite close to doing that.

Can you understand why people made that choice out of desperation? Yes. Does that make it an acceptable choice? No. That's where you differ with other people. Because it is such a difficult choice that they were forced to make, you wouldn't encourage that choice, but you wouldn't criticise it. That's fine. Criticising it is also fine. Criticism is a legitimately useful tool in a society to help people make decisions in the best interests of wider society, which often involve making decisions that aren't in your own best interests. Criticising people does not mean they are demonising them.

The rest of my post was not aimed at you but aimed at the people you want to defend against that criticism. It is an obvious truth that millions of people have not agreed with the notion that making those sacrifices for the greater good of society for that length of time was in their best interests. You want to focus on the reasons that can explain it, but it is a legitimate view that there are few reasons that justify that disregard of social responsibility in special moments. Those few reasons do not apply to the majority of those people the majority of the time.

If you speak to them about it they're open about that. You can see the same sentiment in this thread. They do not believe in that idea of self-sacrifice for the society in this moment, because they now distrust the society and the people in charge so much that it does not seem like a worthy sacrifice. I also consider that a legitimate view. But it is not one I agree with, it is one that presents clear danger to society, and it's one that I feel is useful to criticise.

So my point was when you see people criticising others, you think that can only be because they don't see the struggle, they think it's easy. That isn't true. It is because expect them to make the right choices when faced with hard decisions. More so now than normally. If they do not, they make things worse. That's an unfortunate responsibility that they are given, but it's a responsibility all of us are given. It's part of being in a society. If they don't want that societal responsibility then they can live with more freedom but without the protection that society provides.

During wartime there were many different struggles. People at home vs people on the front line. People in the bombing areas vs. people in nice quiet villages. There are always injustices in the world, some random, some a factor of the social structure. The experience my granny had on one side was wildly different from the experience my grandad had on another. They both carried that experience with them through the rest of their lives. So yes it is true that some people struggle more than others, that doesn't change the fact we are forced to live with the responsibilities put upon is on our situation. Choosing not to in war hurts other people. Choosing not to now hurts other people. It would be better if the environment didn't force that responsibility on us but it does. We can't just pretend our choices don't have that impact right now.

I will just say I find it very cruel to label someone as unempathetic and inhuman because they don't take your view on the world. I agree with you that everyone has their blindspots as to the struggles other people face. You have exposure to a lot of different struggles, but not all of them. I can absolutely guarantee you I have experienced and witnessed many struggles in this pandemic that you haven't, too. The fact that you think a different approach to tackling the problem does not mean you lack empathy, in my eyes, and I don't at all accept the implication in return. You can see the same broad struggle and disagree on the best way to solve the problems that are creating those struggles.
You forgot the stupid people who are too dumb to realise they are passing and spreading COVID but within the government rules but look down on others who break these rules but safely. That’s what gets to me more than anything I think, people’s thoughts of superiority while putting others down too stupid to realise what they’re doing

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
My partner tested positive on the 22nd after a routine test at the hospital. Her only symptoms so far are the loss of taste and smell and a little stuffy. She is 31 weeks pregnant as well which is concerning me but they were adamant that she is at no greater risk of getting seriously ill. I myself have no symptoms but im absolutely sure I'm at least carrying it we have been in close contact.

Pretty bad time to get it over Christmas but at least we knew before we went to my parents and possibly passed it to them. The asymptomatic transmission of this virus is scary.
Your wife did have symptoms though, loss of taste and smell is a common one.

I wish you both good luck and hope you both recover quickly.

LARulz

The US has vaccinated (or given first jab) to over a million people whilst we're at 400k or something despite starting a week before.

How many did we order again?

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Your wife did have symptoms though, loss of taste and smell is a common one.

I wish you both good luck and hope you both recover quickly.
I meant myself having no symptoms, I must have it right because her symptoms started a few days ago and I have had no symptoms. It's possible I could have been asymptomatic and passed it on to her. She doesn't really go anywhere.

finneh

You forgot the stupid people who are too dumb to realise they are passing and spreading COVID but within the government rules but look down on others who break these rules but safely. That’s what gets to me more than anything I think, people’s thoughts of superiority while putting others down too stupid to realise what they’re doing
This is very true. A lonely/depressed university student who isn't coming into contact with any vulnerable people for months on end having a beer with another student in their flat is less risky than a care worker going to a packed shopping centre on Xmas eve. However the rhetoric surrounding the former would be almost wholly derogatory (the comments on young people in general have been pretty awful) whilst the latter being responsible for a dozen deaths in the new year wouldn't get a mention.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I meant myself having no symptoms, I must have it right because her symptoms started a few days ago and I have had no symptoms. It's possible I could have been asymptomatic and passed it on to her. She doesn't really go anywhere.
Gotcha. Good luck fella

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I just don’t agree with the assessment that any of these people are stupid. These are difficult decisions to weigh up and it is natural to be resentful that we are forced to make these decisions for reasons outside of our control, and it is reasonable to question which rules to follow given the government is not just incompetent but corrupt.

I just think in that scenario people have to judge their own choices by how it impacts on other people. Is the thing I’m doing so important that it justifies putting others at risk? Very few decisions we make in every day life meet that threshold, so cognitive dissonance kicks in. Then we make unwise choices. That isn’t stupidity but other kinds of human frailty, IMO. But it is necessary to call people up on their flawed decision making because otherwise we live in a world that is unreasonably dangerous and compromises too much on society’s wider priorities.

You can’t reject social responsibility while demanding social respect and support. They are part of the same package, you can choose none of them or all of them, but picking and choosing is selfish and irresponsible. That is judgmental and also an accurate judgment. We all do things that are selfish and irresponsible. And it is socially useful that other people point it out, even if we find it unpleasant.

However I agree with you that some people do it purely for mean spiritedness. They don’t like people and they like criticising people. Old curmudgeons have always been about and it has been easy to become one of those as people became more isolated. There is a stereotype for a reason, social disconnection makes it easier. And people in general are hypocrites. Those are all fine judgments too.

The main thing I’m arguing against is the notion that you shouldn’t judge others because it is not empathetic. Judgment has always been a part of society as a tool for social conditioning. In emergencies it plays a bigger role. You can feel what other people feel and still judge their actions critically. Whether you should or not depends a lot on your perspective but it isn’t in and of itself wrong.

Or put simply, the fact we don’t like that people judge our actions critically is not a good reason for it not to happen. Many things we don’t like are necessary for our existence.

Brwned

It's a mute for me that one, define essential. It's different in most peoples eyes. The one if you're worrying about respect of the virus is the self isolating percentage, this is people who have a higher chance of interaction or transmission with the virus and it's an extremely low number.

The encouraging statistics for me was hand washing and face coverings. There's a lot of chatter on here about face coverings not being worn (and surveys can never give a 100% reflection on society) but a 97% view on people wearing them is very high.
If that is the same survey I was given on the doorstep while they swabbed me then I would not put a lot of stock in the data about face coverings. It isn't a measure of how often they wore face coverings, it doesn't define the parameters for acceptable use, and it is especially prone to the social desirability bias. We know 97% of people do not wear it just by walking about the town centres. All that tells you is 97% of people say they do when they're asked on the spot and they are pressured to give the answer the interviewer wants to hear. There is a reason why many, many fewer people say they don't wear face coverings when it is asked anonymously.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I just don’t agree with the assessment that any of these people are stupid. These are difficult decisions to weigh up and it is natural to be resentful that we are forced to make these decisions for reasons outside of our control, and it is reasonable to question which rules to follow given the government is not just incompetent but corrupt.

I just think in that scenario people have to judge their own choices by how it impacts on other people. Is the thing I’m doing so important that it justifies putting others at risk? Very few decisions we make in every day life meet that threshold, so cognitive dissonance kicks in. Then we make unwise choices. That isn’t stupidity but other kinds of human frailty, IMO. But it is necessary to call people up on their flawed decision making because otherwise we live in a world that is unreasonably dangerous and compromises too much on society’s wider priorities.

You can’t reject social responsibility while demanding social respect and support. They are part of the same package, you can choose none of them or all of them, but picking and choosing is selfish and irresponsible. That is judgmental and also an accurate judgment. We all do things that are selfish and irresponsible. And it is socially useful that other people point it out, even if we find it unpleasant.

However I agree with you that some people do it purely for mean spiritedness. They don’t like people and they like criticising people. Old curmudgeons have always been about and it has been easy to become one of those as people became more isolated. There is a stereotype for a reason, social disconnection makes it easier. And people in general are hypocrites. Those are all fine judgments too.

The main thing I’m arguing against is the notion that you shouldn’t judge others because it is not empathetic. Judgment has always been a part of society as a tool for social conditioning. In emergencies it plays a bigger role. You can feel what other people feel and still judge their actions critically. Whether you should or not depends a lot on your perspective but it isn’t in and of itself wrong.

Or put simply, the fact we don’t like that people judge our actions critically is not a good reason for it not to happen. Many things we don’t like are necessary for our existence.
I agree with probably all of your post, and boy can you type :D

My gripe wasn’t against judging others but more the people who judge others while having no sense of self awareness. See my post earlier about the guy who spends most of the time criticising people for breaking rules and killing people then holds a socially distanced poker party

bsCallout

I travelled 6 and a half hours over the Scottish Border to get home to see my family.

And I'm glad I did, as my brother lay there getting 'bagged' through his trachy to keep him alive. His smile when he opened his eyes and saw me, proved I made the right decision.

Some risks are worth taking.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
That's quite something . .
It is when the situation in London is about to become an absolute shitshow apparently...

In an email to clinicians on Tuesday night the deputy medical director, Victoria Jones, told staff their modelling of expected Covid demand was going to get a lot worse in coming days. Dr Jones told staff: “The actual admissions are mirroring the predictions in the model very closely and if this continues our number of Covid inpatients will have tripled by Monday compared to a fortnight ago.

Brwned

I agree with probably all of your post, and boy can you type :D

My gripe wasn’t against judging others but more the people who judge others while having no sense of self awareness. See my post earlier about the guy who spends most of the time criticising people for breaking rules and killing people then holds a socially distanced poker party
Yeah I would just call people like that straight up dickheads

LARulz

The US has vaccinated (or given first jab) to over a million people whilst we're at 400k or something despite starting a week before.

How many did we order again?
Anyone?

Is this a case of the US being more efficient? Having more doses?

Wolverine

So much of this is down to lack of central leadership
On a friday afternoon late about a few weeks ago we got a call saying we've got until the Monday afterwards to agree whether our surgery would vaccinate program for the older than 80s and ready to go within the week.

GP practices were initially told that even if they couldn't sign up that wouldn't be a problem because their patients would still be vaccinated (by other surgeries within the primary care network) but that turned out not to be true and practices signing up had priority

So we signed up. Visited the vaccination place. 3 small cubicles in a urgent care centre, one disabled toilet for cleaning in between patients on the 3rd floor between the 3 of them. Lifts we were told would need a thorough clean in between each patient, then after signing up we were told patient need observing 15 minutes after for anaphylaxis symptoms. Then we had to change our appt times as word went out that vaccine after thawing is only recommended for fridge temps for 3 days rather than 5.

Sourced covid marshalls to guide patients on the day. Logistical nightmare because of anticipated parking trouble too. Appointments sent out, comms sent to care homes etc, went on radio station to advertise vaccine, allay/answer concerns in punjabi, gujrati, hindi, english. A few days prior - told shipment issue and no vaccine, please tell your patients not to come.

Having had to rearrange everything now after all that for first week of January and contact all patients ourselves.

In the mean time I am seeing patients face to face who despite symptoms are ever increasingly are testing positive for covid later on despite having symptoms so I'm at risk because I'm examining throats of infectious patients.

All the while sent out dozens of messages to occupational health because I also work in hospital to get me a vaccination but no reply when I know senior managers, admin types who have minimal clinical consults have had it ahead of me. In addition, patient caseload and morbidity from covid and everything else increasing but our hospital trust currently working on black alert, OPEL 4 (meaning bed capacity challenged due to bed restrictions and high occupancy)

The fact that in a national emergency we are not having the army giving our vaccines en masse is beyond me with everything that is happening

P.S. Happy christmas everybody, look after yourselves.

LARulz

I'd imagine they have more doses and a lot more people to administer them.
But the logistics impress me. Surely moving this around is difficult and getting people ready etc. is not as easy. I do personally feel our has been too slow, mainly getting it around to where it needs to be. I get it's low temp etc. but we should have planned more effectively

Bosws87

Imagine being surprised London’s rates are surging now after they have been left in tier2 as a political favour.

Didn’t take a scientist to work out this would happen as Christmas approached with or without a new strain.

LARulz

I was discussing this with a friend and wondered how ridiculous this was:

People seem to hate lockdown's. But if the government said we are locking down just so we can vaccinate as many people as possible. I think people would back that. So it's a short term thing for a couple weeks with the aim just to vaccinate people.

I initially thought this could be done without a national lockdown but then this also stops it spreading more, so stops being a whack a mole game.

If Oxford is ready by next week, could we by mid Jan not just go crazy with vaccinating people? Cos from what others said, we have 40 million doses ready?

redshaw

Said on Sunday the UK should be in tier 4.

It's going to be devastating if this spreads and I'm really worried cases in the North West and Greater Manchester will shoot through the roof again. We have the lowest rate of this new strain and were second lowest in cases after the south west but rates have risen.

Damage could be vast with this week of non action and people traveling around, could see 1000-2000 a day die again.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

It's going to be devastating if this spreads and I'm really worried cases in the North West and Greater Manchester will shoot through the roof again. We have the lowest rate of this new strain and were second lowest in cases after the south west but rates have risen.

Damage could be vast with this week of non action and people traveling around, could see 1000-2000 a day die again.
Absolutely, they just don’t learn from the previous two lockdowns. We waited too long in Feb/March and it cost us weeks.

LARulz

He should have announced Tier 4 yesterday for everyone and then let Brexit news takeover a bit

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
So basically not enough people able to work from home or staying at home, whilst only less than 70% are paying respect to this virus
From Los Angeles, which is currently the epicenter for new infections and new hospitalizations the problem is twofold.

First, are the selfish cnut business owners who are making people come into the office despite their job being perfectly capable of being done 98-100% from home. I just quit the job I was working at because the owner still has a thing about making people come into the office. I know people who have now gotten COVID from co-workers in the office when they could and should have been working from home.

The other is the absolute entitlement many people feel embodied by all the people from 18-year-olds to 60-year-olds I've heard/seen say some variant of "I don't have to wear a wear, its a 'free' country". The combination of unwilling plus unable is probably at least 50% here in LA which is why its seeing such an explosion in new cases.

bsCallout

I cant believe how many people on the web think it isnt real and that we shouldnt lock down.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Just read Johnson's July statement in which he expressed his hope to restore normality by Xmas. My god, that did not age well.

bsCallout

The internet does have a tend to over inflate the volume of opinions, and serve up opinions to engage you on.
I made the mistake of going to the comments on a Daily Mail article and the top comment with over 2k likes was basically claiming its made up and not dangerous.

Tibs

If a person catches Covid from another, we know it can take a few days before any symptoms show.

But, how long does it take the person to become a transmitter? A few hours, a day?

I'm v concerned for Retail workers on boxing day when people will pile in for discounts/sale, customers don't give a feck they want a bargain, and staff have no choice but to do their job, no social distancing (customers constantly getting close to staff) or stores packaed.

Tomorrows a huge day for transmission, hence the question

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
It's all quiet here, we're in the first of three "red zone" lockdowns for four days, starting today. I don't expect to see anyone when I take the dogs out tomorrow - I have to stay near the house according to the rules, in any case. There'll be another four-day one starting 31st December, with other restrictions in place on the days in between.

I think it's appropriate that the whole country is doing the same thing. Cases in our region aren't high, but I think it's easier for everyone to accept when everyone is in the same boat.

Blackwidow

It's all quiet here, we're in the first of three "red zone" lockdowns for four days, starting today. I don't expect to see anyone when I take the dogs out tomorrow - I have to stay near the house according to the rules, in any case. There'll be another four-day one starting 31st December, with other restrictions in place on the days in between.

I think it's appropriate that the whole country is doing the same thing. Cases in our region aren't high, but I think it's easier for everyone to accept when everyone is in the same boat.
A am already at home for an hour now. In Germany X-mas family celebrations are limited to a household and max. 4 other people + kids below 14. And there is a nightly curfew from 9 pm to 5 am.