SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

I've been guilty with that. Religiously wore mask on a train for pretty much 12 months when day to day life restarted but been a bit more lax with it since getting double jabbed in early August especially if there's only 2-3 other people in the train carriage.

Not going to take chances this time so just have to respect the state of play again for 2-3 months and perhaps things will calm down again in March.
I liked the personal judgement and self responsibility of the past 4 months which I think a lot didn’t understand. I have a mask, or scarf etc at all times. If the train/bus is not busy and I can keep my distance then I didn’t wear it, if it’s busy and I have to be near people then i wear it or cover my mouth with my scarf. But sadly a lot of people missed that and so often on busy busses/trains No one would be wearing masks or covering

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Can anyone find the post about how the guy wasn't worried about Covid because he lived in a nice middle class area and eats Sunday lunch at fancy pubs ?

That was on here wasn't it ? One of the all time great posts.
Here you go

Im head of PE at a very large primary school and myself, and my Pe team who are all self employed, plus the 40-50 staff and 800 + children will be in as normal tomorrow and for the foreseeable future. I’ve just actually had a roast and few drinks in a local pubs alongside a lot of the parents. Luckily we live and work in a very likeminded area, not mass panic. People doing as they’re told and getting on with it whilst getting on with life too.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
The chairwoman of the South African Medical Association has said so far not seeing this manifest as severe disease just yet but not sure what demographic/patient profile the statement below is on

"It presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness for a day or two not feeling well. So far, we have detected that those infected do not suffer loss of taste or smell. They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent symptoms. Of those infected some are currently being treated at home.” Hospitals have NOT been overburdened by Omicron patients and the new strain has not been detected in vaccinated individuals there. We know those vaccinated from other countries infected have been mild or asymptomatic."
Well, the hospitals wouldn't be overburdened. There are only 19k active cases in the whole country.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Definitely right to be proactive but two main things regarding how dangerous this is will be
- studies which should be upcoming/ongoing with regards to antibody neutralisations/real world data on breakthrough infections
- severe disease as a result (like it was in delta as we saw in India)
We do know its v transmissible which isn't great

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...-causes-mild-disease/articleshow/87949404.cms
The chairwoman of the South African Medical Association has said so far not seeing this manifest as severe disease just yet but not sure what demographic/patient profile the statement below is on
Was thinking about that earlier. A variant that is much more infective and causes much less serious disease is our golden ticket. Could end this pandemic quicker than vaccination.

Wolverine

Well, the hospitals wouldn't be overburdened. There are only 19k active cases in the whole country.
I take your point with it being early to tell. With delta though it became obvious soon not just how transmissible it was but how much sicker people were in general with it, and in higher proportions of population being unwell in addition to increased hospital stays/ITU requirements so we'll see how this one behaves.

With transmissibility high, it should be easier and quicker to start clinically extrapolating from its cases. Which I guess might guide policy. With delta it was borderline criminal how slow we were to react to high number of cases in terms of border control etc.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I take your point with it being early to tell. With delta though it became obvious soon not just how transmissible it was but how much sicker people were in general with it, and in higher proportions of population being unwell in addition to increased hospital stays/ITU requirements so we'll see how this one behaves.

With transmissibility high, it should be easier and quicker to start clinically extrapolating from its cases. Which I guess might guide policy. With delta it was borderline criminal how slow we were to react to high number of cases in terms of border control etc.
If I remember correctly, I think part of the reason for the slow response to quarantine/travel restrictions with Delta was Boris was trying to get the trade deal done with India so didn't want to jeopardise that - in the end they introduced the travel restrictions with India weeks later than they should've. There's no such politics at play this time round so they've actually managed to take the necessary precautions without delay.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
It’s amazing how things have changed so significantly in like 3 days. Not the rules, but general concern and outlook re. Covid. Here’s hoping that upon further data we aren’t talking about a complete game changer.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Sarah Gilbert said a while back (after Delta was established) that newer variants would likely be less able to evade vaccines and less likely to cause severe illness.

https://inews.co.uk/news/covid-vari...-more-severe-oxford-jab-sarah-gilbert-1212744
The reason this variant has so many experts spooked is that it’s a sudden, radical change. Twice the number of mutations as Delta. Which is basically what she predicted wouldn’t happen.

Still, though. I’m going to cling to the idea that this might cause less severe illness than Delta. That would be amazing news and the possibility will help me sleep at night.

RoadTrip

If I remember correctly, I think part of the reason for the slow response to quarantine/travel restrictions with Delta was Boris was trying to get the trade deal done with India so didn't want to jeopardise that - in the end they introduced the travel restrictions with India weeks later than they should've. There's no such politics at play this time round so they've actually managed to take the necessary precautions without delay.
Whilst it may have played a factor I do think it’s probably a bit OTT to suggest this really drove decisions I think? I think the concern overall about Delta was significantly less at the time, because of the nature of the changes compared to this one. I also think they just got it wrong and this time they’ve finally learnt. Maybe I’m being too generous to the clown.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The reason this variant has so many experts spooked is that it’s a sudden, radical change. Twice the number of mutations as Delta. Which is basically what she predicted wouldn’t happen.

Still, though. I’m going to cling to the possibility this causes less severe illness than Delta. That would be amazing news and will help me sleep at night.
I got told off for calling her a dick head for saying that. Seemed like a stupid prediction at the time and still does now.

RoadTrip

Still, though. I’m going to cling to the possibility this causes less severe illness than Delta. That would be amazing news and will help me sleep at night.
I think another reason to be positive is that whilst it is expected that vaccine ability to prevent infection may well be impacted, even significantly, there is a lot of people saying that they still expect vaccines to do a good job at preventing serious illness. It’s not ideal - but still potentially good news because whilst we may say cases rise (if indeed the worst fears are realised, there may not be an equally corresponding impact on hospitalisation and death rates.

RoadTrip

I have a question for any vaccine experts. If the mRNA vaccines require tweaking to better target this new variant, what does that really mean in a practical sense? To what extent does that “change” the vaccine? I ask because for example the flu vaccine is changed each year but doesn’t go through trials and approvals before use, right (correct me if wrong?) to the same degree as a new vaccine each time. And I presume that has something to do with the underlying “base” of the vaccine remaining consistent? Obviously I know it’s a different type of vaccine to mRNA, but I guess my question is how extensive is the change?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
It’s amazing how things have changed so significantly in like 3 days. Not the rules, but general concern and outlook re. Covid. Here’s hoping that upon further data we aren’t talking about a complete game changer.
Here in Italy, mask-wearing has never stopped and I'd say there's 100% compliance where I live. You'd be challenged if you didn't wear one.

The government is putting some regions back in yellow measures (masks have to be worn outside too), but the main push is the new Super Green Pass - you basically can't do anything fun unless you've been vaccinated or have recently had Covid. The option to take a test to get a short-lasting Green Pass is being removed, except for going to work.

RoadTrip

Here in Italy, mask-wearing has never stopped and I'd say there's 100% compliance where I live. You'd be challenged if you didn't wear one.

The government is putting some regions back in yellow measures (masks have to be worn outside too), but the main push is the new Super Green Pass - you basically can't do anything fun unless you've been vaccinated or have recently had Covid. The option to take a test to get a short-lasting Green Pass is being removed, except for going to work.
Is that as a response to the overall spike in cases in Europe as a whole, or specifically due to Omicron?

Classical Mechanic

Still, though. I’m going to cling to the idea that this might cause less severe illness than Delta. That would be amazing news and the possibility will help me sleep at night.
I got told off for calling her a dick head for saying that. Seemed like a stupid prediction at the time and still does now.
She didn't predict it as such. She said it was unlikely i.e. still possible but not probable.

I'm not sure what the threshold for 'evading immunity' is though, is generating T-Cells as a result of the vaccine to fight off serious illness not still classed as an immune response, rather than simply blocking infection?

RoadTrip

Also how do we know it was a sudden change? Is there not a theory that actually this was several smaller mutations amalgamating in someone who simply could not get rid of the virus? I.e we aren’t talking delta to omicron, but a number of small mutations to build to omicron? I think that’s an important fact to establish.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I have a question for any vaccine experts. If the mRNA vaccines require tweaking to better target this new variant, what does that really mean in a practical sense? To what extent does that “change” the vaccine? I ask because for example the flu vaccine is changed each year but doesn’t go through trials and approvals before use, right (correct me if wrong?) to the same degree as a new vaccine each time. And I presume that has something to do with the underlying “base” of the vaccine remaining consistent? Obviously I know it’s a different type of vaccine to mRNA, but I guess my question is how extensive is the change?
That’s a great question. And you’re right. Vaccines for new influenza variants don’t go through as many regulatory loopholes as a new vaccine. I know that they’re actively looking into whether vaccines for covid variants can be fast-tracked in the same way. The reason this isn’t an easy decision is because influenza vaccines have been around for decades so have a much larger amount of safety data available compared to these new vaccines.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

Hope I’m wrong but I don’t think there’s much hope it’s less pathogenic if this is to believed (the bottom tweet). It does seem to be hospitalising young people. Not many double vaccinated but it looks like it is spreading in younger age groups where I doubt the proportion of double vaccinated is high so I don’t think much can be read into that yet.

Looking at South Africa covid data..(not sure how up to date)

275 Cases (7 day rolling average) on 13th Nov.
3459 cases ( 7 day rolling average) on 26th July

An aprox 12 fold increase in 13 days is pretty fast compared to over peaks where 12 fold increases starting from a rolling average of around 800-1000 usually takes 4-6 weeks

RoadTrip

That’s a great question. And you’re right. Vaccines for new influenza variants don’t go through as many regulatory loopholes as a new vaccine. I know that they’re actively looking into whether vaccines for covid variants can be fast-tracked in the same way. The reason this isn’t an easy decision is because influenza vaccines have been around for decades so have a much larger amount of safety data available compared to these new vaccines.
That makes sense. But surely a factor is also what you’re actually changing? If the vaccine is exactly the same in terms of overall compound and delivery and all that is being tweaked is the “signal” then that’s very different to any fundamental change needed. A bit like do you just need to turn the dial to find a new radio station, or do you need to change the actual radio. Sorry best example I could think of :lol:

RoadTrip

Looking at South Africa covid data..(not sure how up to date)

275 Cases (7 day rolling average) on 13th Nov.
3459 cases ( 7 day rolling average) on 26th July

An aprox 12 fold increase in 13 days is pretty fast compared to over peaks where 12 fold increases starting from a rolling average of around 800-1000 usually takes 4-6 weeks
That’s pretty scary.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Hope I’m wrong but I don’t think there’s much hope it’s less pathogenic if this is to believed (the bottom tweet). It does seem to be hospitalising young people. Not many double vaccinated but it looks like it is spreading in younger age groups where I doubt the proportion of double vaccinated is high so I don’t think much can be read into that yet.

Balls. Sleepless nights it is. “Marked change in demographic” is a worry.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Balls. Sleepless nights it is. “Marked change in demographic” is a worry.
Yeah I also think the fact the entire world is reacting in this way tells me they’ve already modelled what these changes mean and the results aren’t good. Apparently Israel are about to shut their border to all foreigners. In saying that Chise seems to have read that South African data and thinks it’s good news so maybe I’m missing something :lol:

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Yeah I also think the fact the entire world is reacting in this way tells me they’ve already modelled what these changes mean and the results aren’t good. Apparently Israel are about to shut their border to all foreigners. In saying that Chise seems to have read that South African data and thinks it’s good news so maybe I’m missing something :lol:
Early days, but data suggests that the vaccines are not being evaded. This assumption can change at any time, of course.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Early days, but data suggests that the vaccines are not being evaded. This can change at any time, of course.
Without having the data we don’t really know what it suggests. Firstly the raw numbers are going to be small. Secondly, they say most have been unvaccinated/single dosed so people have been hospitalised after two doses. And thirdly only 25% of SA population have had two doses and even less in the age range it is spreading. You wouldn’t expect many to be double jabbed at this stage anyway even if the vaccines were literally useless. God knows I’m all for optimism but I think Chise is reaching here.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Without having the data we don’t really know what it suggests. Firstly the raw numbers are going to be small. Secondly, they say most have been unvaccinated/single dosed so people have been hospitalised after two doses. And thirdly only 25% of SA population have had two doses and even less in the age range it is spreading. You wouldn’t expect many to be double jabbed at this stage anyway even if the vaccines were literally useless. God knows I’m all for optimism but I think Chise is reaching here.
You're extinguishing my flickering flame of hope with your cold logic.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
If you’re missing anything at all it’s the fact that Chise could look out her window and see a meteor moments from wiping out North America only to immediately hop on Twitter and tell everyone not to worry, we’ll all be grand.

Wolverine

That makes sense. But surely a factor is also what you’re actually changing? If the vaccine is exactly the same in terms of overall compound and delivery and all that is being tweaked is the “signal” then that’s very different to any fundamental change needed. A bit like do you just need to turn the dial to find a new radio station, or do you need to change the actual radio. Sorry best example I could think of :lol:
Its how the drug approval regulatory authorities will react. This is a fairly unique situation. Flu vaccines are a good analogy as we tweak them regularly.

Covid vaccines use different mechanism. The Sinopharm, sinovac use the whole virus (in an inactivated form). The mRNAs Moderna and Pfizer use the mRNA which causes production of spike protein in cells for immune system to recognise. And others like Astrazeneca use a weakened common cold virus as a vector to introduce the spike protein as the immunogen.

For me the single unifying theme across all of the covid vaccines is how remarkably safe they've been, with variable efficacy. That's pretty much proof of concept, for me, that utilising the spike protein (regardless of what mutations its got) is a safe, if variably effective, way of vaccinating against SARS-COV2. Whether the MHRA, FDA, EMA sees it the same way I don't know. I think a basic phase I,II type safety trial with volunteers for reactogenicity should suffice but who knows

Vaccines have different preservative ingredients that are fairly static and there's some patients who have allergic reactions to but these are known and managed with avoiding said ingredients if possible and giving vaccines after consulting with allergy specialists and with anaphylaxis kits everready (which to be fair they are in most vaccine centres)