SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Surely you recognise people have had to put up with much worse than this in the past and didn't become suicidal...

The comforts you're used to aren't required to stay sane. Many people live through much worse every day.
And that type of thinking is why there's a lot of suicides as it is.

Almost as if people don't have a right to be depressed or struggle because some people have it worse.

0le

Wont that just lead to pics like we saw over weekend though, people congregating in local parks? Just dont think people can be trusted.
With probably everything closed (including parks), people may get the message, but yes, there is a strong possibility they won't and stricter enforcement of the curfew using police/army would probably then be enforced. I am just guessing here though obviously, I have no idea what is going to happen.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
With probably everything closed (including parks), people may get the message, but yes, there is a strong possibility they won't and stricter enforcement of the curfew using police/army would probably then be enforced. I am just guessing here though obviously, I have no idea what is going to happen.
Here the big public park is open, but they are shutting all the children play parks, skateparks and games areas.

Smores

Do you get pain and pressure in your upper cheek bones that feels like it’s behind your eye? My sinuses are fecked but I’m not sure if this related pain.
I do and it's a pretty common symptom for sinus infections or general non allergic rhinitis. My wife says i look like a neanderthal when i get them as my brows and everything swell, don't know if that's common mind you :lol:

Silva

it's amazing how many people can watch others go through the "haha, just a flu" "oooh people here getting it" "feck feck feck feck" stages of this and still think its just a flu

Giggs86

I disagree, a lockdown can have many forms. I think a lot of people think immediately to some of the more extreme forms where in reality, it just means all but essential business will close and people will be instructed to stay at home unless they need to go out for something essential (hospital, dentist, supplies etc). I think they will allow outdoor excercise for now. If it becomes a problem they may stop that too.
Here it's called stay in home order. Basically like others have said that means all non essential businesses and activities (sit-in restaurants, bars, hair salons, gyms, shopping malls) are closed. Whoever can work from home is working from home. Others work but maintain distance meaning no meeting or gatherings. You can still go for a hike or walk your dog. Social distancing is key.

Alabaster Codify7

Wouldn’t be surprised at the level of stupidity I’m seeing, absolute idiots in the UK so far.

He wasn't slagging them off though, was he? One might think he was almost excusing them for enjoying themselves in the sun, and thus, encouraging them to do it again today.

Balls out of the bathtub - I think Boris and co have deliberately not forcibly closed these places so that people can congregate meaning that when he does implement full lockdown, the majority of the country will agree with him. He's taken a deliberately phased approach - I think this has been the plan all along but he didn't want to risk public furore by doing it straight off the bat.

DomesticTadpole

Here it's called stay in home order. Basically like others have said that means all non essential businesses and activities (sit-in restaurants, bars, hair salons, gyms, shopping malls) are closed. Whoever can work from home is working from home. Others work but maintain distance meaning no meeting or gatherings. You can still go for a hike or walk your dog. Social distancing is key.
Can you still go and get supplies? I know people say get it delivered, but here there is a three week wait for deliveries.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
And that type of thinking is why there's a lot of suicides as it is.

Almost as if people don't have a right to be depressed or struggle because some people have it worse.
No what I'm saying is there's a big jump between struggling and suicide. There are millions of people alive today who have had their freedom taken away and their time outside severely limited. Most of them struggled with it too. We know it harms mental health in the short term. The reality is people are more resilient than you're portraying and they bounce back from that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Where the Irish science guy thinks we are on the chart. A hoorish long way to go.

Alabaster Codify7

Can you still go and get supplies? I know people say get it delivered, but here there is a three week wait for deliveries.

My friend is in Spain and she says yes, no problem - you're allowed to a) go food shopping, b) go to pharmacies, c) go to work if you have no other choice and d) walk the dog. All in measures, of course.

DomesticTadpole

He wasn't slagging them off though, was he? One might think he was almost excusing them for enjoying themselves in the sun, and thus, encouraging them to do it again today.

Balls out of the bathtub - I think Boris and co have deliberately not forcibly closed these places so that people can congregate meaning that when he does implement full lockdown, the majority of the country will agree with him. He's taken a deliberately phased approach - I think this has been the plan all along but he didn't want to risk public furore by doing it straight off the bat.
There's too many idiots in this country who hate being told what to do. Just wait for them to still try it on and get arrested.

stepic

Deep breaths.

- What about the 34yr old neutropaenic chemotherapy patient?
- What about the 17yr old with arthritis on immunosuppressing methotrexate long term?
- What about the 21yr old girl with cystic fibrosis?
- What about the 31yr old guy with chronically poorly controlled asthma who's already had 1 ITU stay in the past year?
- What about the 39yr old diabetic man?
- What about the 42 yr old liver transplant lady on anti-rejection medication?
- What about the 36yr old nurse in London who's currently ventilated previously being fit and well?

All these groups, except for the last one, are high risk. To assume this is simply a disease of the old is naïve. I'm happy you're not old. I'm not old either but this is quite frankly an unprecedented event we are about to deal with. It's all very well to just wave this away because you'll likely get mild symptoms, but it's time to stop being so selfish and start looking out for others more vulnerable than yourself. I don't know if you're British, but it's starting to piss me off here in the UK at people's apparent blasé approach to this - congregating at the beach at the weekend just past, going for large group cycles, that 'essential' travel to Snowdonia as seen on GMB. People need to be shit-scared of this, it's the only way they'll wise-the-feck-up and refrain from such things.

We had a significant update today that has come close to home. One of our nurses took unwell on Thursday and is now tubed and ventilated after contracting COVID.

I want people to realise just what is going on and what will happen:

- Hospitals are woefully unprepared for this, despite the best efforts of those working there, the tsunami of patients expected in the coming weeks will cripple the NHS. There's not enough PPE available. There's not enough tests - staff aren't being tested for it. There's not enough beds. One hospital here wont have enough oxygen ffs.

- People are being made DNACPR upon arrival to a hospital if they are over a certain age with even 1 co-morbidity. Fact of the matter is if they required ITU and there's one bed left, the person without the co-morbidity will be taken. The other person? Sent to the ward without nearly as much monitoring or oxygen availability. Wards in London have reported multiple patients being sent there to slowly fade.

- Staff in ITU have been briefed on dealing with colleague bereavement. Mental health is being prioritised for the staff.

- Operations requiring ITU care post surgically are being cancelled to save space. That has significant repurcussions for the general public.

- There are beds available at the moment in ITU, but in 2 - 3 weeks time? Place is going to be a shitshow.

Many people will die and they wont just be a 'tiny number of old people'. I'm not saying this to stoke fear, but quite frankly it's got to the point now I need to be realistic to others as to what is happening in the hospitals and what we're being told. I don't give a feck if you're not old, or if you're mate's aren't old. I give a feck about people adhering to the strict guidelines set out to them (and I hope we move to lockdown very quickly) in order to protect as many people as possible.

This is unprecedented.
think everyone is being way too harsh on @Camilo. all he said was that feel 'terrified' is an extreme reaction.

some babies die of cancer. does that mean potential parents should be terrified of their kid dying from it too?
air planes sometimes crash. does that mean we would accept being terrified of flying as acceptable behaviour?

you can find anomalies like those you listed in pretty much everything in life. at the end of the day, for the VAST majority of people, we all have nothing to be terrified about.

however not being terrified doesn't mean you don't still isolate, wash hands, and help ensure the NHS isn't stretched even more than is necessary though. theres a lot of people who are already genuinely afraid and rightfully so, but i agree with Camilo it doesn't serve any benefit in adding more fear mongering to an already extreme scenario we're all living.

Reactions: Grinner

BIGbadBOO4

Will we be able to drive? I live in Manchester and want to pick my daughter up who lives in Leeds. My dad just had a mild stroke and she coming back to help. I was going to go at weekend.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

It's 100% this and people have fell for it.

DomesticTadpole

My friend is in Spain and she says yes, no problem - you're allowed to a) go food shopping, b) go to pharmacies, c) go to work if you have no other choice and d) walk the dog. All in measures, of course.
Been getting food delivered lately, just to see how efficient it was, never tried it before, now I have no choice but to go and get groceries unless I want to starve waiting for a delivery slot.

C'est Moi Cantona

Lockdown is inevitable. They gave people a weekend to prove they could be trusted and a minority acted like total roasters.
Why didn't they round up all these at the weekend and force them into full on lockdown, threat of massive fines/jail if they don't, and then the rest of us who can be trusted are allowed to carry on.

It's always the moronic minority that ruin everything for everyone else, in whatever context it never changes.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Boris announcement at 8:30pm, I presume BBC 1?

I suspect lockdown.
Not sure what "lockdown" really means but I'd imagine it won't be a full on endgame shutdown just yet. More likely there's a middle stage (or two) to work through before that, where measures are being legally enforced but are not yet as all-encompassing as they will eventually be.

stepic

Where the Irish science guy thinks we are on the chart. A hoorish long way to go.
if Italy's 'evening off' figures are correct and sustained (and we're roughly 4 weeks behind), then that doesn't really match with that chart surely.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
think everyone is being way too harsh on @Camilo. all he said was that feel 'terrified' is an extreme reaction.

some babies die of cancer. does that mean potential parents should be terrified of their kid dying from it too?
air planes sometimes crash. does that mean we would accept being terrified of flying as acceptable behaviour?

you can find anomalies like those you listed in pretty much everything in life. at the end of the day, for the VAST majority of people, we all have nothing to be terrified about.

however not being terrified doesn't mean you don't still isolate, wash hands, and help ensure the NHS isn't stretched even more than is necessary though. theres a lot of people who are already genuinely afraid and rightfully so, but i agree with Camilo it doesn't serve any benefit in adding more fear mongering to an already extreme scenario we're all living.
No one is fear mongering, stay at home or more people will die than needs to be. It’s simple, do as you are told.

F-Red

Will we be able to drive? I live in Manchester and want to pick my daughter up who lives in Leeds. My dad just had a mild stroke and she coming back to help. I was going to go at weekend.
I would recommend getting the journey done before the weekend

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Got the text off of the NHS to say to stay in for 12 weeks. I expected it to come, but actually getting it is still a kick in the teeth.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
People using this to score political points. Shouldn't be surprised though to be honest. Corbyn would have it all sorted by now no doubt.
You bemoaned people using the situation to score political points in your first sentence, and then did just that in your last.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
if Italy's 'evening off' figures are correct and sustained (and we're roughly 4 weeks behind), then that doesn't really match with that chart surely.
Every country's curve will be different so it's hard to compare directly like that. Plus even if Italy are now reaching a plateau, that plateau could still last for an extended period. They still have a long way to go on their own curve, unfortunately.

pascell

Lockdown is inevitable. They gave people a weekend to prove they could be trusted and a minority acted like total roasters.
Sad really isn't it, they clearly only care for themselves. There's a lot of people in this country mentally ill and were relying on the short time outside with a friend or two as a reprieve, the likelihood they get that now is slim.

Alabaster Codify7

It's 100% this and people have fell for it.

It definitely is, I'm not for one minute saying it's not the right thing to do, nor that it's the right thing. It's just an observation, it's plain as day to me that the government would have shut the country down weeks ago if they knew they could without causing ructions. Now, they've basically dragged it out and shown that "we can't be trusted" to sort this ourslves, which excuses their heavier approach.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
It's ingredients react with oxygen, and most of the containers aren't airtight so you'll see an expiry date as to when it falls below a certain % of effectiveness (usually 90%). It'll have some impact due to the alcohol in it, but it won't be perfect. Wash your hands instead!
It's for keeping in the car mostly. Got a few others but just occurred to me - surely alcohol based rubs would have one of the longest shelf lives

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked

I agree with this. I don't believe the guy who just won an election by repeating "get Brexit done" has completely forgotten the value of simple message discipline in 3 months.

F-Red

It's for keeping in the car mostly. Got a few others but just occurred to me - surely alcohol based rubs would have one of the longest shelf lives
They do, but alcohol evaporates over time when it reacts with oxygen.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I was just talking to my dad and a guy who he works with was saying a week or two ago that his daughter was saying that she wasn't very well and he didn't take her seriously thinking she wanted a day off school etc.

Now apparently the guy, his wife and his daughter all have symptoms and the guy didn't show for work today and another two guys on the site didn't show either. This one ignorant guy has probably infected the whole site and probably many more. My dad's partner is also a carer for the elderly so he's now not happy that he might have inadvertently put people at risk because of this stupid guy.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive

I'm not fear mongering. I'm stating the truth. Too many people are underestimating this. The list that I've comprised there accounts for hundred's of thousands of people. I'm not denying that a majority of people have nothing to be terrified about, but it's important people put their 'Well, I'll be ok, so what's the big deal?' attitude to one side and grasp the potential consequences of this. People have behaved like twats this weekend all around the country.

The comparisons you've described aren't fair to a growing pandemic with infections that increase the more people don't comply with the rules. You can't catch cancer from some arsehole who's decided to think they're beyond the rules.