5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYAS

He won't make it but the lad is trying and it's a great experience to be on tour.

yamo123x

Mctominay was regular for u23 team last year and never once stuck out for me. A functional player at best.

ariel

Thought him to be the only bright spot in a terrible second half performance.

Aza Boy

Could be our new Fletcher...spirited, energetic, and brave...Decent cross also. Too bad, the big Fell could not convert it. Will be useful in games like League Cup and FA Cup. Give him a chance.

MuFc_1992

I've heard people say that Lampard didn't even stand out in his school team.

Oldyella

Hugely cynical but I'll say Jose probably had an eye on monetising our academy this year. Play them just enough to see if they can survive, if they can't they'll have played enough that they'll command a seven figure fee.
I would honestly be ok with that, so long as they are at least given a decent shot and we dont go the full Chelsea route.

ColvaleGoa

I thought he looked okay after initial jittery start. That ball to Fellaini was Scholesyesque! Also he switched the ball to the wings pretty well. Dunno if he is going to make it, but will be a good back up options for League cup etc!

Robertd0803

Not quite sure what to make of him. Not sure with everyone fit either that he will be getting games in the cups considering we will hopefully have 2 midfields to choose from Pogba/Herrera/New DM and Pereira/Carrick/Fellaini plus Axel so a loan may be the best option to keep him playing.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I would honestly be ok with that, so long as they are at least given a decent shot and we dont go the full Chelsea route.
It's how it should always work. Our coaches can probably/definitely work out if a player will make it without playing them in the first team. But 5-10 decent appearances (ie not a few minutes here and there) enables everyone to see a players market value.

It's the players job to make the grade here. If Everton, Villa, Sheffield Wednesday see a player in there, they open their wallets.

Rossa

In the modern game where pace, dribbling and strength are emphasized, especially for young players, I'm starting to wonder if McTominay may have some skills that set him apart. Obviously, it is neither of the aforementioned, so it must be something else. His cross to Fellaini was sublime and he made a few dribbles that were simple but very effective. Could he be a Carrick type of player that few notice because he doesn't stand out in any way and is far from flashy, but instead he keeps the game ticking and makes other players better - a facilitator of the game?

Mr Smith

So I had a bit of a crackpot thought yesterday; McTomminay has played more games than a lot of us would have expected on this tour. At first I figured he was just placeholding for the defensive midfielder we would eventually sign, but now I'm wondering if Jose has realised he's not going to get the DM he wants and wants to try McTomminay as a defensive midfielder. Now I know this would be a very rare move for Jose, who usually doesn't trust players that young with that kind of role, but he's arguably been more open to playing youth here than he has at any club he's been at in the past. I know McTomminay isn't blowing anyone out of the water at the moment, but defensive midfielders, especially for Jose, are usually pretty functional and almost never flashy. It's an outside chance at best, but does anyone think he could be a surprise starter for a few games once the season kicks off proper?

El-Manos

Wouldn't mind seeing him as a rotation option, shouldn't stop us from bringing in a defensive midfielder though.

khoazany

In the modern game where pace, dribbling and strength are emphasized, especially for young players, I'm starting to wonder if McTominay may have some skills that set him apart. Obviously, it is neither of the aforementioned, so it must be something else. His cross to Fellaini was sublime and he made a few dribbles that were simple but very effective. Could he be a Carrick type of player that few notice because he doesn't stand out in any way and is far from flashy, but instead he keeps the game ticking and makes other players better - a facilitator of the game?
McTominay is a weird case. He missed almost his entire U18s years because of injuries and growing issues, then played out of position most of the times for the U23s. His most outstanding attributes so far that I've seen is his defensive game from midfield, however he has shown nothing of sort for the first team. In fact Mourinho has used him like a box-to-box midfielder so far in the tour.

Acole9

Outstanding
He was neat and tidy, nice cross into Fellaini as well. Unlucky about the penalty, hopefully doesn't damage his confidence.

WhoDaGOAT

José thinks that both Scott and Demi will be with the team for years to come, and mentioned Andreas Pereira too.

Hopefully that's true. We should be moving on the likes of Young to pave the way for Mitchell. Scott might be Fellaini's long term replacement. I think this will be his last season at the club.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Where did he say that, got the quotes? I hope not anyway as Scott isn't close to being good enough. Ethan Hamilton looks kind of tall, maybe he can fill the want for a tall player.

WhoDaGOAT

Where did he say that, got the quotes? I hope not anyway as Scott isn't close to being good enough. Ethan Hamilton looks kind of tall, maybe he can fill the want for a tall player.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-news/man-utd-news-fixtures-mourinho-13385633

It's all in there. I'd take it with a pinch of salt anyway. He hyped up Tuanzebe last summer.

To be fair, McTominay has done well at first team level when called upon. He wouldn't be my favourite player from The U23s, I'd take Willock ahead of him, but Mourinho obviously sees a role for him when certain tactics are needed.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Does this guy play for the English or Scottish youth sides? Because I thought he was Scottish but he sounds as English as they come

WhoDaGOAT

Does this guy play for the English or Scottish youth sides? Because I thought he was Scottish but he sounds as English as they come
He's English but wants to play for Scotland.

Lots of Northeners have ties to Scotland. Beardsley is as Mancunian as it gets but played for Scotland.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
He's English but wants to play for Scotland.

Lots of Northeners have ties to Scotland. Beardsley is as Mancunian as it gets but played for Scotland.
Only cause he wasn't good enough to play for England :lol:

I personally wouldn't say 'lots' of northerners have ties to Scotland, definitely way more to Ireland.

khoazany

He's not even among the top 5 CMs that we have produced recently, but sometimes the luck is there and you have to take it.

Nick7

Was good in midfield today. Put himself about well and looks sharp on the ball.

ChaddyP

Has a really good touch. made some good decisions. Want to see more of him.

kundalini

Nice goal. His other big chance he was composed but need a bit more pace on the shot.

Blind

More impressive than Pereira today, definitely not one to write off.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I like the way Scott's played on this pre-season tour. He's a big lad, which will put him in Mou's good books. He can play too though. People talking about Matic doing for Fellaini. Maybe it's McTominay really putting the manager at ease with the Fellaini sale?

Hoof the ball

He keeps the ball moving, doesn't dither on the ball, his passes are sharp and accurate, he's big and physical and he's got a good right foot to cross and shoot. Initially I overlooked him because he didn't seem as technically efficient as Pereira, however, I see something in him worth keeping. He could develop really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.