g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Scott McTominay image 39

Scott McTominay Scotland flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

marlowe78

Yes. I think Mourinho will play a completely different team for The League Cup. Especially as it's Burton at home.

Tuanzebe, Lindelöf, Shaw, etc.
Yeah, I would be looking forward to that. Where is Lindelof hiding, anyway?

Sylar

Hes tall.

TBH, I dont see him being a starter for us. Ever. Would love to be proven wrong but at the same time, nothing wrong with him being a squaddie for games like this.
I do think he probably ends up getting sold, but for now, he does keep it simple so its not the worst thing and got minutes today. Hopefully get minutes next round too.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Doesn't seem to damage the team in any sense and he's there as a lower priority option against physical sides. Honestly, glad he's playing as Mourinho patiently believes in youth so far.

Sadly for him, if Pereira didn't opt for a loan, then it could be a whole different story.

WhoDaGOAT

Did fine. Unlucky not to latch onto that through ball from Lingard.

Burton shut down quite a few through balls that could have resulted in 1 vs 1 scenarios.

khoazany

Don't want to make it harsh on one of our youth players but he really is Jose's version of McNair.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Should think about improving the defensive side of his game if hes ever gonna have a chance here. Hes big so naturally physically, could potentially be an alright defensive mid. Seen no other qualities he excels at other than, being tall..

marlowe78

I thought he was fine. The game was dusted by then and he was probably told to keep things simple. Hope to see him again in the next round.

kundalini

He's been much better in his first team appearances, this season, last season, and during the pre-season tour, than I expected given his modest reputation at U18/U23 level.

He has shown several moments of genuine quality in that time.

No idea if he deserves his chance but I don't have a problem with him being given more opportunities during this season.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Doubt he will make it. Easy coming on when you four nil up. Try it when you are losing.

NotQuiteManc

• Couldn't see anything special, but I guess him being tall would give the team another option for physicality.
  • Like another poster stated, if he can improve his defensive game, he might be useful in deeper midfield position to go along with his physical attributes.

kundalini

Doubt he will make it. Easy coming on when you four nil up. Try it when you are losing.
Arsenal away match last season, McTominay looked surprisingly good in his few mins on the pitch.

I doubt he will make it too but that's more a statistical call based on the fact that so few United youth do, rather than a judgement on McTominay.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I don't see anything at the moment that makes me believe he can make it here. I thought the likes of McNair and Blackett looked more promising in their first few performances than McaTominay. Still, Jose likes him and he's hardly a bad judge of talent.

Brightonian

I've seen plenty of him for the youth sides and while he's neat and tidy and has goals in him at that level, I'd be very surprised if he made it here. The cynic in me says he's getting a few chances because he's tall enough for Jose.

Home&Away

Gosh all this judgement and he has barely broken through; give the guy legitimate chances once in a while through a season or two & I'm sure José will make the adequate decisions.

Seems like every little thing that is happening is interpreted to cause us damage.

Thought he looked like a decent player with the capability to improve.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I've seen plenty of him for the youth sides and while he's neat and tidy and has goals in him at that level, I'd be very surprised if he made it here. The cynic in me says he's getting a few chances because he's tall enough for Jose.
This pretty much.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Gosh all this judgement and he has barely broken through; give the guy legitimate chances once in a while through a season or two & I'm sure José will make the adequate decisions.

Seems like every little thing that is happening is interpreted to cause us damage.

Thought he looked like a decent player with the capability to improve.
I don't think people are writing him off or anything like that. He has just broken through, yes, but he doesn't look anything special for a player about to turn 21 and didn't in the youth teams either, so it's reasonable to say it's unlikely he's gonna make waves here.

Home&Away

I don't think people are writing him off or anything like that. He has just broken through, yes, but he doesn't look anything special for a player about to turn 21 and didn't in the youth teams either, so it's reasonable to say it's unlikely he's gonna make waves here.
Thing with the guy is he has shown a monstrous increase in physicality in a very short period of time; we can't judge him by saying he wasn't good when he was younger because everything has the capacity to change & he kind of has done be that only physicality

criticalanalysis

Surprised no one has realised Mourinho is nurturing him as Fellani's successor.

The funny thing, I'm only half kidding.

He would do well to be the next O'Shea.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Looks bang average. Won't be here in a few years.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Back then, I thought Fletcher was quite mediocre when he broke into the first team.

shield

We have atleast found the replacement for Fellaini. Somehow, that thought does not fill me with joy.

dogwithabone

In the short time he was on I'd like to have seen him do more on the ball. He played a few very safe balls back and forth but did little in terms of making something happen. He played as though we were hanging on against Madrid as opposed to cruising at home to Burton.

Looks pretty ordinary but you never know.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Back then, I thought Fletcher was quite mediocre when he broke into the first team.
Indeed, he improved rapidly his mid-20s, which isn't common at all. For every Fletcher there are several Gibson's, Cleverley's etc.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Indeed, he improved rapidly his mid-20s, which isn't common at all. For every Fletcher there are several Gibson's, Cleverley's etc.
Wasn't Fletcher a star in the youth team, though? McTominay, even when I've watched him for the U23s, hasn't even looked decent.

Bojan11

Totally different scenario. Fletcher was being forced to play on the right side as Keane and Scholes were our CMs. In some games he was starting ahead of Ronaldo which angered people. He was also getting stupidly compared to Beckham when they played nothing alike.

Maybe he also looked mediocre after watching Scholes and Keane for a long time.

podurban2

Just turned on the game but he looks pretty exciting, especially for such a young CM.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Still don't really know what he does
Wins a lot of aerial duels, keeps the ball moving without making mistakes, stays where he should stay off the ball and hasn't allowed runs through his zone. Been a pretty good performance so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.