5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

FromTheBench

He is like a more physically imposing Cleverley.

Decent talent but not seeing anything special yet.

el3mel

Nice boy, but he really has nothing special in his style. Just can't see it at all.

He can be a good physical presence in the midfield, though.

kundalini

I thought he had a good game overall. Did especially well whenever Romero made a shocking clearance, twice managing to flick/head the ball further up the field when we could have been in trouble. Good tracking runners and shutting down their midfield, including just prior to our first goal. Passing relatively safe but only noticed him lose possession once. Could have done better on his shot from just outside the box though no real surprise when a player shoots way over from that position.

We would have learned more had he been put on at half-time against Huddersfield instead of say Mkhitaryan. Against Swansea we had control after Lingard's first goal so really just needed to avoid doing anything stupid, especially once we went 2-0 up. In that context McTominay's performance was fine.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Looks like I'll have to watch him with more detail as @Scarecrow has said similar. He has seemed quiet to me whenever I've watched him.
He's been quiet but also very focused and disciplined, in a game where it'd be easy to lose concentration from time to time. After each pass, his or not, he'd move exactly where he needs to move. We won't see many special moments from him but he seems like a player you'd like to play next to.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He played well, not expansive game, just kept it simple and was a defensive presence.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Solid. Couple of quick passes and moves on the 1/2 turn that impressed. Kid has a future for sure.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
When you want to defend a lead, he is good to have. But if you need a goal, I would not rely on him.

Reiver

I thought he played very well tonight. A composed performance, he looks comfortable in possession which I like a lot. His physical attributes mean that Jose will probably like him.
Hope he gets more game time in the first team

Jordan_mufc

Very assured performance, but I really don't see anything too special in his game. Not taking away from his performance at all, but he isn't particualry quick, tricky or have an eye for a pass.

I suppose it is harsh to judge him on just a single performance alone, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I've seen more.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Poor in goalscoring areas but otherwise a very handy performance.

engulfing

I like him. Needs to learn how to be a target man and how to make runs into the box. Good footballing brain with good technique.

Rossa

He's the slowest player on the pitch. He looks slower than Carrick. I think people are trying to hype him up, but I have yet to see anything special.

Pretty much spot on.
If he isn't fast he is rubbish? You're worse than I am. He does simple things and keeps the ball moving. Unlike many players he doesn't rally on the ball; he releases it quickly, moves into position and is ready to receive the ball. Also, he is slow, but he is very mobile and runs up and down the pitch. He also looks to shield the defense well in addition to participating in attack. Underwhelming to look at perhaps, but I think he can prove very useful.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
No! Hell no! Like Carrick does.
I’m no fan of carrick but he uses the ball a hell of a lot better than McTominay. It’s that ability on the ball that made Carrick a starter; doing the basics well isn’t good enough at this level. Let’s hope aspects of his game steeply develop in the next year or two.

RedCurry

He looked good. We don't need him to be world class. He seems quite comfortable to hold his own and never gets bullied.

He can be a great backup option this season.

Rossa

I’m no fan of carrick but he uses the ball a hell of a lot better than McTominay. It’s that ability on the ball that made Carrick a starter; doing the basics well isn’t good enough at this level. Let’s hope aspects of his game steeply develop in the next year or two.
It depends on what you mean by basics. He defends well, he gets up the pitch, has very good technique and is always available for a pass. Herrera takes too long on the ball, Pogba takes ages at times, and Blind is slow in moving the ball as well. Carrick uses one-three touches most of the time to move the ball. McTominay seems to be that type. Not very exciting to watch, but he keeps the game ticking. Wins quite a few duels as well.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It depends on what you mean by basics. He defends well, he gets up the pitch, has very good technique and is always available for a pass. Herrera takes too long on the ball, Pogba takes ages at times, and Blind is slow in moving the ball as well. Carrick uses one-three touches most of the time to move the ball. McTominay seems to be that type. Not very exciting to watch, but he keeps the game ticking. Wins quite a few duels as well.
And yet Blind and Herrera used the ball far better than McTominay tonight. They’ll move the ball on quickly if it’s needed, other times they’ll hold onto it, look up and try to pick a better pass. There needs to be a reason to move the ball on. Passing it 5 yards to the nearest player is basically pointless. It’s exactly what Cleverley does. He’ll win no where near the amount of ball Matic and Herrera does and doesn’t have their passing range either. He’s slightly below average across the board.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I thought he kept it safe and most importantly his positioning was very good for a young lad.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I like the boy but careful with the Carrick comparisons. Don't try to pass him off as someone who doesn't excel at anything. The man is still the best passer at the club even now.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Player I'd liken him to most out of those everyone is familiar with is Khedira. Nothing special, but is a presence in midfield and makes others jobs easier.

Home&Away

People shoot him down before he has even failed. He cost us nothing - give him a damn chance.

Oh no - let's all swell up about buying griezmann & sticking him put on RW.

podurban2

Surprised some have written him off as a nothing player. They will probably stick to their agenda throughout his career. Some people...

PTSTSL

One thing that Jose likes is a player in midfield that is big, clever and good enough to carry out his plan and nothing more . He seems a clever footballer.

I thought he looked a bit more tired than the other players toward the end, still he contributed and didn't look out of place at all.

Promising.

Minkaro

He's destined to be playing for someone like Watford or West Ham in five years time, and he'll have one game where he's really good and the MOTD pundits ask if he's on the cusp of something big, and then he'll go back to being "just OK" again.

Devil may care

He's tidy, I could see him having a PL career at a team like West Brom, Bournemouth or Stoke etc......

Paul_Scholes18

Good performance from him. Did keeps thing simple, but had some good passes as well. Like to see more from him no doubt!

Paul_Scholes18

After watching his good debut I am certain that this boy is bang average and is destined to be cleverly or championship level at best.

My reasons for saying this are just because I can.
So damn much negativity here towards our players. What happen to be glad he did well and support and hope the player to keep performing. No rather people will moan that he will not reach Messi level while hyping every potential transfer for us, but once we get them change around and claim they are shit.

owlo

He needs consistent gametime, even if it means dropping down to the championship.

Players in his position never look like world beaters at 20. None of Carrick, Xabi Alonso, Pirlo, or Redondo looked destined for greatness at 20. The one constant for them to develop is game time,

I like his game, he seems aware and intelligent. But he'll need at least 3-4 years of playing before we see just how good he might turn out. And then probably another 2 years for fans to work out just what he does well.

Reactions: sizzling sausages
Status
Not open for further replies.