5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

vanrooney

The things that he is good in are hard to notice for normal fans - positioning, decision making, work rate, composure and discipline, that's why he is being criticized as a non-player all this while. He also seems to be unfazed by the big occasions, evidenced by his performances against Chelsea and Liverpool. These are attributes that are way more important to the squad instead of being the pacy, fancy, super technical flair player that most fans these days seems to only love and care about.
I really like him and also think that he can develope into a very decisive player for us. He is cool and determined for his age and could be our next carrick. But to be honest he was at foult for the goal against chelsea and will have some bad moments here and there. If he can develope consistency he will be one of the first players on the Team sheet

Trizy

He was brilliant yesterday but lets not get carried away. He isn't United quality and if he ever is, it won't be until he matures. I know he's only 20, but that's the truth.

As for right now, he doesn't start for any PL club in my opinion. Our youth policy and injuries have been kind to him. Nevertheless, I hope he enjoyed yesterday performance.

Varun

Staff
He was brilliant yesterday but lets not get carried away. He isn't United quality and if he ever is, it won't be until he matures. I know he's only 20, but that's the truth.

As for right now, he doesn't start for any PL club in my opinion. Our youth policy and injuries have been kind to him. Nevertheless, I hope he enjoyed yesterday performance.
I'm sure you must have an amazing eye for talent and seen a lot of him in his youth days to be making this post. Doubt anyone sane could say what you have otherwise given how he's actually played.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Absolutely cringe worthy post. Jesus christ, what is wrong with you?

Canagel

Herrera has a job to get his place back on that showing from McTominay. Very disciplined and controlled display.

You call yourself a supporter? Have a word with yourself.

Web of Bissaka

Now now, criticize the post, not the poster right? Without getting too personal. Should we really give any United players no-criticism-armor?

Had to disagree with the rest. But yes, McTominay was brilliant again, good return too after his previous poor game (which most of his teammates also played poor mind 1st half). I think he's a United quality though, obv his play is not so flashy or clear likes players such as Scholes, Keane, Beckham etc. Yet perhaps in the stream of Fletcher and Carrick (the treatment to the former is once so worse while the latter gets plenty of doubts early seasons), whom it'll take more time and more games for some posters to finally see it, which is fine. One of the things that makes him having the United quality is arguably his mentality, which can be broken down to specific references of his football.

Personally I don't like to have too high expectations of Scott, with zero doubts, or to any other United players for that matter, since it's still uncertain how he'll develop later seasons and don't want to get hurt from the hyper emotional hope of McTominay. Had some little doubts of him as a player since he is a mortal human being. That said, his attitude is fantastic and what he brings to the team (very clear when he's performing obviously) is something which tends to be missing from a lot of football teams. The missing hidden gear or some similar expressions, that helps make everything run smoother.

:devil: Highly promising.

iHicksy

I swear, people who criticise him don't understand football and how difficult centre midfield is. His positional, tactical awareness is far beyond his age. He's going to be a top player for us and looks better for me than Darren Fletcher did at the same stage in his united career.

Smores

It's not surprising that Fergie likes the lad. The type of composure and ability to recycle the ball that he brings was a big part of our midfield game in Fergies last decade.

Ideally he'll increase his passing range with time or become defensively dominant, either path will secure him a first team place imo.

Web of Bissaka

@iHicksy
Agree, centre midfield is very difficult. I had many ongoing struggles playing there properly and hardly able to make any good play from that position, better on the wings.

Anyway, Scott McTominay makes it so easy, with simple yet effective style of football :drool: like shiii, how the heck is he able to do this, damn so good. Not every players can do it mind. It's pleasing seeing him play there, even better as a United player, and a product of United's academy too. Awesome.

Ban

No need to be passive aggressive. I think people forget Cleverley put in similar performances in for us in 12/13 - especially in the beginning of the season in a midfield 3 of himself, Carrick and Rooney. He did just as well as McTominay did yesterday away to City (3-2 against the league champions), Chelsea (3-2 against the European champions) and Arsenal at home. Not to mention he was doing fine against Real Madrid before Nani's red.
So, I didn't say anything wrong.

Womp

idiot
When Jose was giving him chances genuinely thought it was just to be able to say he's giving youth a chance. I don't know if it proved to be a great decision by chance or if he genuinely wanted to give him a chance because he believed in him, but he's been solid so far. Was immense against Liverpool and still so young.

Oldyella

Herrera has a job to get his place back on that showing from McTominay. Very disciplined and controlled display.
Think his emergence may spell the end of Herrera long term. Wouldn't be surprised if he moves on end of the season.

Yagami

Good post resistant
So, I didn't say anything wrong.
Well, he hasn't reached Cleverley's level yet and it isn't a guarantee that he will. Cleverley was apart of a title winning midfield, apart of some of our big wins (home to Liverpool & Arsenal, away to City & Chelsea) and was in a team that was on the verge of knocking out José's Real Madrid before a stupid mistake from the referee spiraled us into mayhem.

Munkehboi

Jose loves his disciplined players and McTominay is certainly one of those players. As any young player coming through he has demonstrated the hunger to succeed and I think thats why Jose plays him. Long may it continue.

Ban

Well, he hasn't reached Cleverley's level yet and it isn't a guarantee that he will. Cleverley was apart of a title winning midfield, apart of some of our big wins (home to Liverpool & Arsenal, away to City & Chelsea) and was in a team that was on the verge of knocking out José's Real Madrid before a stupid mistake from the referee spiraled us into mayhem.
So was Welbeck.

I get the feeling Cleverley's biggest quality was that he was just part of a team, as you say he was a part of few wins and a team which nearly knocked out Madrid. Nearly.

Yagami

Good post resistant
So was Welbeck.
Yep, and, like Cleverley, has regressed so much since leaving. I think, over the two legs, Welbeck was our best player against Madrid, too. That's what I mean, though. I was huge fans of both - rated them very highly and was disappointed to see both leave, and I was wrong in terms of my rating of them.

For what it's worth, I think he'll be better than Cleverley so I'm not trying to discredit him. I'm just not getting carried away because there's been youth talents that have impressed me more in the past that just haven't been good enough. Hopefully McTominay isn't one of them.

Mickfoley

Just watched the game again and now I think he wasn't as brilliant as I thought earlier. He is very generic and does basics well but still need to see more him to be sure. Young was absolutely tireless though.

Ban

Yep, and, like Cleverley, has regressed so much since leaving. I think, over the two legs, Welbeck was our best player against Madrid, too. That's what I mean, though. I was huge fans of both - rated them very highly and was disappointed to see both leave, and I was wrong in terms of my rating of them.

For what it's worth, I think he'll be better than Cleverley so I'm not trying to discredit him. I'm just not getting carried away because there's been youth talents that have impressed me more in the past that just haven't been good enough. Hopefully McTominay isn't one of them.
Fair enough. Welbeck and Cleverley worked good in Fergie's system, he could make average players better cause the whole team was just that. A good team. Not just sum of its parts.

Roboc7

The things that he is good in are hard to notice for normal fans - positioning, decision making, work rate, composure and discipline, that's why he is being criticized as a non-player all this while. He also seems to be unfazed by the big occasions, evidenced by his performances against Chelsea and Liverpool. These are attributes that are way more important to the squad instead of being the pacy, fancy, super technical flair player that most fans these days seems to only love and care about.
I don’t think it’s true that most normal fans can’t recognise what he is good at. Normally when a youngster breaks through they have raw talent/ability and struggle with positioning, consistency etc.

McTominay is other way round, he isn’t lacking in terms or positioning and discipline etc but there are question marks about whether he has much ability to back it up. I don’t think you can say either way whether he will make it at this stage.

In two years I wouldn’t be shocked to see him still part of our squad but I also wouldn’t be surprised if he was playing in the championship.

RC89

You're overrating how good Fletch was.
Youre undereating Fletcher. Was brilliant in his prime, never got bested by anyone in big games during those years. Made world class players look very average. Be they at Chelsea or Barcelona.

RC89

I love the fact that while this isn't exactly the class of 92, we have regular squad members from our youth academy. Hopefully Pereira and TFM can make a claim next season too.

borrays

Kudos to jose to publicy shielded him for that back pass "incident" (just hope he secretly gives him bollocking in the dressing room :wenger:)

RC89

He was fantastic today, that double pivot role where he doesn't really need to attack suits him perfectly right now.

Made some great tackles and worked his socks off again, but most importantly I found he was really calm in possession - that was brilliant.

A few times the crowd moaned but he did the right thing keeping the ball, you can see why Jose loves him.
I noticed this, Gary Neville picked up on this too. Very mature performance from him.

marktan

I understand the people who are saying they're not sure if he's got anything about him technically, but imo you can see that he has, it's just not very polished yet. His main role has been to be tactically disciplined, but I was really impressed by his decision making and attempts to play yesterday. He doesn't just blindly run with it when has the ball, when he was forced to dribble yesterday he'd either dribble into space away from the defender or draw the foul. His passing safe was usually the correct decision, and he played a couple of very decent forward balls either (e.g. the one to Lukaku where he recognised Lukaku could have Lovren for speed).

So not amazing yet, but the key ingredients imo are there which makes me interested. Someone like Cleverly for example I never warmed to because he'd shit his pants every time the ball came to him and would just pass it to the nearest man. Playing next to Matic imo is ideal for him as they're very similar players and he could learn a lot from emulating what he does (especially in an attacking sense).

Also need to remember he didn't play very much between the ages of 17 and 20 in the youth teams, because of his growth spurt taking him from about 5ft 6 to 6ft 4 and consequently being injured / unable to play because of that. To still show game understanding at the top level is impressive.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Fair enough. Welbeck and Cleverley worked good in Fergie's system, he could make average players better cause the whole team was just that. A good team. Not just sum of its parts.
Very true, which also goes in McTominay's favour in that he hasn't been phased into a well oiled machine like Welbeck/Cleverley had the benefit of. He has been phased in, but, quite frankly, we've been a bit of a mess in terms of the consistency of our football and he's still not let José down.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I understand the people who are saying they're not sure if he's got anything about him technically, but imo you can see that he has, it's just not very polished yet. His main role has been to be tactically disciplined, but I was really impressed by his decision making and attempts to play yesterday. He doesn't just blindly run with it when has the ball, when he was forced to dribble yesterday he'd either dribble into space away from the defender or draw the foul. His passing safe was usually the correct decision, and he played a couple of very decent forward balls either (e.g. the one to Lukaku where he recognised Lukaku could have Lovren for speed).

So not amazing yet, but the key ingredients imo are there which makes me interested. Someone like Cleverly for example I never warmed to because he'd shit his pants every time the ball came to him and would just pass it to the nearest man. Playing next to Matic imo is ideal for him as they're very similar players and he could learn a lot from emulating what he does (especially in an attacking sense).

Also need to remember he didn't play very much between the ages of 17 and 20 in the youth teams, because of his growth spurt taking him from about 5ft 6 to 6ft 4 and consequently being injured / unable to play because of that. To still show game understanding at the top level is impressive.
This is something that I have noticed as well that even someone like Ander when he gets the ball in pressure situations doesn't really show composure while this kid always seems to show confidence .

SirAF

Ageist
He's been impressive so far, I'm very confident he's going to become a good squad player at the very least. Which would be bloody brilliant in itself, if he turns out to become a regular starter then that's a fantastic bonus.

Mainoldo

Kudos to jose to publicy shielded him for that back pass "incident" (just hope he secretly gives him bollocking in the dressing room :wenger:)
He kept possession without trying to play a forced pass which could have ended up in losing pricey possession to Liverpool again. So maybe I missed your sarcasm, if so i'm sorry.

Icemav

I'm sure you must have an amazing eye for talent and seen a lot of him in his youth days to be making this post. Doubt anyone sane could say what you have otherwise given how he's actually played.
I agree. He may not develop into a Carrick but I see little flashes of very classy (and deceptively simple) play that suggests he could be a proper midfielder able to help control a game. It gives me hope but certainly no guarantee as it depends on continued development, as it does for all youngsters.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Technically not very good, but he works hard, he's disciplined and keeps it simple. A decent back-up/squad option to have if he retains those traits.

Super Mokh

Technically not very good, but he works hard, he's disciplined and keeps it simple. A decent back-up/squad option to have if he retains those traits.
His technique is fine. His close control is pretty good. Never seems to be fazed in tight situations.

Sir Scott McToMinay

We played really really well in the first half, dealt with their infamous press and attacked with aggression and great movement in the final third.
Scott played a big part in us winning the midfield battle in the first half, we completely outplayed them.

Honestly, struggling to find a reason why he shouldn’t be a starter for us, beyond this season if he keeps developing.
I find very few faults in his game when it comes to playing his role in a double pivot.

I feel like his has a lot more to his game, we’ve seen glimpses of it.

Sterling Archer

I swear, people who criticise him don't understand football and how difficult centre midfield is. His positional, tactical awareness is far beyond his age. He's going to be a top player for us and looks better for me than Darren Fletcher did at the same stage in his united career.
Absolutely agree. Though I think part of the reason Fletcher’s start isn’t dazzling is he was a RM, a rather lumbering one at that. So I feel he was seen as a less than dazzling Becks. Then again it took some time for fans to appreciate him as a CM as well.

Regarding fans understanding football, I just highlighted a couple of the examples. There are those who appreciate the subtle and then there’s wacky ‘not technically gifted’ ‘generic’ ‘basic’ nonsense. He and Matic were instrumental in dulling one of the leagues most potent attacks, one that knocked 4 past City.

Just watched the game again and now I think he wasn't as brilliant as I thought earlier. He is very generic and does basics well but still need to see more him to be sure. Young was absolutely tireless though.
He has a very good technique, can’t remember any particular bad touch if at all.
All said, why shouldn’t a barely 20 year old keep humble and stick to his managers instructions? He’s got any combo of Pogba, Mata, Alexis, Martial, Lingard, Rashford and Lukaku playing ahead of him. I think they’d be better off with McTominay giving them freedom by being more disciplined and conservative in his own play.

iKeano

Great first half and strong last 10mins. Decent performance in a highly tense game. He's not creative, but was very effective yesterday. Looking forward to seeing him develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.