5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPace

I don't see it. Good size and some offensive ability, but seems like a Championship level player overall.

el3mel

Very ordinary midfielder. He does nothing special on the pitch tbh. Average is the word, I think.

kundalini

He did ok. Same standard as perhaps 10 to 12 other United players who got mins in the game. Generally kept it simple. One super tackle, a decent shot that was saved yet the ref gave a goal kick, another shot that got blocked. Linked reasonably well with TFM.

None of Carrick, Pogba, Herrera or Fellaini were any better than McTominay in that particular game; indeed Herrera and Fellaini were noticeably worse, while Pogba was unimpressive and Carrick off-the-pace. Only midfielder who was clearly superior was Pereira, due mainly to a couple of moments of real quality.

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

I wonder what it is that Mourinho sees in him. I haven't caught either of our pre-season games in full as-of-yet so I can't comment on that but when I seen him play last season, I didn't see anything about him. Also, I had never even heard of him up until last season and never seen any of the youth team experts on here talking about him. I would be stunned if he made it here.

serxyo

He needs to be loaned somewhere like Pereira was, he's still 20, but doesn't look like he's got enough to stay here. He was lost really today, didn't know if he's attacking mid or cm. Needs to build up muscles, but I'd say it could be his last season here.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah, I get why José's took him on the tour due to his size, but he's extremely average. Even in the reserves he never stood out to me. To be fair to him, he was shifted up front as our 9 for a long time due to having no actual strikers, but whenever I did catch him playing in midfield I wasn't impressed.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I think it was his first touch of the game where Pogba passed it across to him and he controlled it about 8 feet into the air. He is an average reserve player at best. Lets go buy back Ben Pearson, he is twice the player of McTominay.

johanovic

I remember when Darren Fletcher was coming through and was not highly rated by many supporters but Fergie gave him time because he did see something and Fletcher did turn out to be a very good midfielder for us. I am not saying McTominay will be another Fletcher but it´s clear Mourinho and his staff see something in him and who knows best? I wish him the best and it´s quite something for a 20 year old boy to be getting a chance like this.

limerickcitykid

I remember when Darren Fletcher was coming through and was not highly rated by many supporters but Fergie gave him time because he did see something and Fletcher did turn out to be a very good midfielder for us. I am not saying McTominay will be another Fletcher but it´s clear Mourinho and his staff see something in him and who knows best? I wish him the best and it´s quite something for a 20 year old boy to be getting a chance like this.
Fergie wanted to give Fletcher his debut at 16, he won reserve player of the year and early threads on here say his debut was good and people were asking for him to get a lot of game time the next season. So no, not like McTominay at all.

johanovic

Fergie wanted to give Fletcher his debut at 16, he won reserve player of the year and early threads on here say his debut was good and people were asking for him to get a lot of game time the next season. So no, not like McTominay at all.
Did you not read the part where I said I´m not saying they are the same? But of course Mourinho and his staff do not know anything and we should write this kid of straight away, is that really what you are thinking? I am happy a young player is getting a chance and hopefully he will have a good career but I think there is something in him because Mourinho would not give him a place on the tour otherwise.

limerickcitykid

Did you not read the part where I said I´m not saying they are the same? But of course Mourinho and his staff do not know anything and we should write this kid of straight away, is that really what you are thinking? I am happy a young player is getting a chance and hopefully he will have a good career but I think there is something in him because Mourinho would not give him a place on the tour otherwise.
The comparison just makes no sense. You may as well say Pogba. van Gaal also played Blackett and Donald Love. It doesn't mean shit. Neither of them made it and neither will McTominay. Top youth players like Axel are no guarantee of making it. Average at best ones certainly aren't going to.

khoazany

He needs to be loaned somewhere like Pereira was, he's still 20, but doesn't look like he's got enough to stay here. He was lost really today, didn't know if he's attacking mid or cm. Needs to build up muscles, but I'd say it could be his last season here.
He's a defensive midfielder.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Good last 10-15 minutes from McTominay against Madrid. He was playing very safely until then, then he suddenly found his spirit. We needed that confidence in play. I have never seen 'it' in him but who knows?

Drainy

He looks like an extremely raw right-sided Matic. Really needs to work on his tracking of runners and his movement to get anywhere at the club.

kundalini

His cross to Fellaini was one of the few moments of quality from us in the whole game. Tackle that conceded free-kick in dangerous area wasn't clever. Otherwise fairly safe.

FromTheBench

He is okay at best except being tall. Dont see anything much special at all.

Last edited:

TehRed

I think that the attributes that got him noticed in the first place, namely height and versatility, are a long way short of what is required for him to make too many appearances for us. When it comes to league games, I can see Tuanzebe being more likely to start in midfield than him. And that's without considering that Pereira is more likely to play in midfield than either of them.

AshRK

He is decent and can become a very good squad player . But when playing with a slowpoke fellaini , our midfield looks dire. He needs to play with Herrera and pogba

Bwuk

Should find a club that'd give him games and send him on loan.

I like the look of McTominay. But he won't get a game here next season. Championship club somewhere.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Jose's love for tall, static and slow midfielders continues.
Our midfield got bypassed by Madrid's B Team today and Madrid starved our attackers of service.
Playing with tall, slow midfielders (Carrick, Fellaini, McTominay) just doesn't work.

Sylar

That one cross reminded me of David Beckham, just the way his whole body shape was. And the quality of the cross too as well.

khoazany

He's even worse than my expectation except for that cross. Where has his aggressiveness gone?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Jose's love for tall, static and slow midfielders continues.
Our midfield got bypassed by Madrid's B Team today and Madrid starved our attackers of service.
Playing with tall, slow midfielders (Carrick, Fellaini, McTominay) just doesn't work.
And Madrid had feck all for chances themselves. I'd imagine the negative drama queens on their forums have far more to moan about.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Looks nice and tidy. Good to see a young lad come in, do the simple things well and not shy from anything. Poor penalty, but I'll give him bigger credit for putting his hand up than I will criticise him for missing.

Handy player.

Hugely cynical but I'll say Jose probably had an eye on monetising our academy this year. Play them just enough to see if they can survive, if they can't they'll have played enough that they'll command a seven figure fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.