6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icemav

Best player on the pitch today. Dominated Inter and his passing was extremely impressive. Excited to see him play this season.

Last edited:

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Also, I think Carrick coaching him has done Scott the world of good. He was quite erratic with the ball at his feet at times when he first came on the scene but now he's much more calm and composed.

Icemav

Also, I think Carrick coaching him has done Scott the world of good. He was quite erratic with the ball at his feet at times when he first came on the scene but now he's much more calm and composed.
Interesting. I guess if there is one player who Carrick can really improve its Scott.

Ace of Spades

That is true. I did not think he would make it long term when he first broke through as he was very limited on the ball, but he has improved his game so much. His positioning looks better, his passing has improved, both long and short. He also looks calmer and more confident on the ball, and a bit more expressive than before.

Only pre-season, but if he carries this in the season then he will perform very well.

3KDré

His long passes seem to be getting better and better. Much better option than Matic in my eyes.

Icemav

Carrick has apparently taken Andreas under his wing this summer too.
Perreira also looked much improved today. I still see loads of weaknesses in his game however its great to see him progressing. He certainly looks ready to battle which is key in midfield. Will be interesting to see whether he can perform to a top level against PL opposition.

passing-wind

Tidy player, probably the only individual in the squad despite transitions in manager who has shown clear improvement, I think Lindlelov can be thrown into that conversation too. His interview after the game was good, he has a competitive spirit and mentality. Not a loser like Lingard and co.

RuudTom83

Along with some of the other academy lads, he is a couple of seasons away from being ready to challenge for the league.

But watching him grow has been one of the few plus points last season.

Kag

My big issue with McTominay has been how passive he can be on the ball. He gets plaudits for putting work in and winning a few balls but that doesn’t make a United midfielder. When he’s played ‘well’ previously, it’s been in games in which we’ve more or less surrendered the midfield and tried to stifle the opponent. Think Liverpool, PSG and Barcelona.

I’m glad he’s taken more ownership when he’s on the ball this pre season. It’s doing this against your Newcastle’s and Everton’s that will really determine what sort of player he will be for us. If he can start to get on the ball more and fire it into forwards (alongside that graft) then he stands a chance.

haram

My big issue with McTominay has been how passive he can be on the ball. He gets plaudits for putting work in and winning a few balls but that doesn’t make a United midfielder. When he’s played ‘well’ previously, it’s been in games in which we’ve more or less surrendered the midfield and tried to stifle the opponent. Think Liverpool, PSG and Barcelona.

I’m glad he’s taken more ownership when he’s on the ball this pre season. It’s doing this against your Newcastle’s and Everton’s that will really determine what sort of player he will be for us. If he can start to get on the ball more and fire it into forwards (alongside that graft) then he stands a chance.
I don't think he is passive, he is just making the right passes. There's no point of forcing a pass that isn't on.

Kag

I don't think he is passive, he is just making the right passes. There's no point of forcing a pass that isn't on.
Passive in that he doesn’t get on the ball enough. He’s been praised (quite rightly, at times) for working hard, spoiling and generally showing composure when he does have the ball. But he needs to get the ball more often. By all accounts he’s doing that in pre season.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Passive in that he doesn’t get on the ball enough. He’s been praised (quite rightly, at times) for working hard, spoiling and generally showing composure when he does have the ball. But he needs to get the ball more often. By all accounts he’s doing that in pre season.
I think that will be a job for the deep playmaker that plays next to him or the ball playing CB behind him. It’ll be nice if he has the ability of a great passer but I think his role is to provide more energy in the team & does the defensive work.

Alemar

The question is not whether McTominay is a world class player (of course he isn’t), but rather “is he the one who should start matches?”

He is no Casemiro or de Rossi, but the alternatives for DM - now - are Matic, Pereira and Fred. Does he play better as a DM compared to the trio above - yes he does.

For as long as we don’t buy another DM, we need to choose from the contingent we have - and McTominay is winning this particular competition, from the looks of it.

macheda14

He did that a lot in the second Wolves away match last season, had a fantastic game if not let down by everyone around him

Acquire Me

This kid is clearly a very talented player. People who don’t see it, they don’t see it, nothing more to it.

The caf over the years has plenty of stories like this one. People tend to give up on players fast and judge players fast.

Time is the key. Things take time.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He was great once again today. He's underrated by some of our fans because they made their minds up about him being a nothing player when Mourinho was here and refuse to acknowledge the clear improvements in his game. He's much more confident in his passing now and is getting better at bringing the ball forward and playing through balls for our attackers. Good addition to have in our squad.
I used to think of him as a tall version of Cleverley. And last season I always said that if he ever make it here he will be like Matic at best. But ever since his late season performance last season I think he’s going to the direction to be like Fletcher type of player for our team not only in term of ability but also mentally as a leader, Matic imo is just not a leader.

He’s not there yet but he’s on the right track and I see he has made lot of improvement since the Jose’s era.

Sterling Archer

Dont get how he was so underrated. He had brilliant performances against Pool and Chelsea and after that I was all about the hype train. I expected that to be the norm - go overboard with hope for one of our own academy products. Instead it's taken two more seasons to even consider that he might be talented. So weird.

haram

Dont get how he was so underrated. He had brilliant performances against Pool and Chelsea and after that I was all about the hype train. I expected that to be the norm - go overboard with hope for one of our own academy products. Instead it's taken two more seasons to even consider that he might be talented. So weird.
He's Scottish, tall, people didn't like Mourinho and his name is Scott McTominay.

arthurka

Mourinho told us he was mint but nobody believed him. He is miles better than Fred and Matic. Great showing today.

United Roar

I have always been a fan of his he keeps on getting better and better. He has shoved his critics comments back down their throats, the advanced role he's been given suits him down to the ground..

NoPace

He's Scottish, tall, people didn't like Mourinho and his name is Scott McTominay.
I'm biased against all these things but he's pretty clearly our best option as first choice DM next to Pogba in this formation, unless we sign a midfielder who can run and tackle in the next few months.

lysglimt

Scout
There is something really mature about McTominay, which you notice even in his interviews. When he is being interviewed, he sounds like an experienced player.

lysglimt

Scout
This kid is clearly a very talented player. People who don’t see it, they don’t see it, nothing more to it.

The caf over the years has plenty of stories like this one. People tend to give up on players fast and judge players fast.

Time is the key. Things take time.
Probably the same people who didn't want us to sign AWB :)

Web of Bissaka

While I agree he can be too passive at times...

1) becoming more active now. Not fully active yet. And no, not just this pre-season, have been on upwards trajectory there eversince last season. More ans more forward passes. Seems like you just notice only from this preseason. Well I know some fans just don't watch him play closely in game or even at all.

2) the exampls of games you gave though... What are you on about? So selective. Vs Liverpool and PSG yes he were more passive. The Barca games though, he were one of our best player active on the ball in both 1st and 2nd leg. Other example of big game is the Chelsea game. And plenty of games vs smaller teams. Were one of our best player active on thr ball always trying to create something meaningful during the last 3 bs months where many of our players stop trying.

Still not enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.